PDA

View Full Version : MOST LIKELY Grand Final Combinations 2008

TheHood
13th June 2008, 11:41 AM
There is no doubt that most of Victoria is expecting Geelong and Hawthorn to play off in 2008. Some are very keen on the Dogs and Pies fans are vocal in their chances.

What of the Swans, Brisbane and the Crows?

If you had to put $1,000 (serious cash) of your own money on a GF combo, who would it be?

Lucky Knickers
13th June 2008, 12:39 PM
Dogs/Pies would put the Cats amounts Pidgeons (or Hawks)....

goswannie14
13th June 2008, 01:40 PM
Geelong v Sydney with Nick Davis kicking the winning goal with seconds to go.

Triple B
13th June 2008, 01:47 PM
Dogs n Pies or Cats n Pies.

Those matchups would appeal to the Asian community.

:p :p

Robbo
13th June 2008, 02:00 PM
Geelong V Western Bulldogs.

RogueSwan
13th June 2008, 02:10 PM
Geelong V Western Bulldogs.
What he said. Probably the Dorks turn next year, they will start to slide soon, in about three - four rounds ;)

NMWBloods
13th June 2008, 02:11 PM
Voting Sydney as a "most likely" is interesting...

ScottH
13th June 2008, 02:17 PM
Meow Yap for me. (Yes I used to work with a person by that name. No Joke)

cruiser
13th June 2008, 02:33 PM
Voting Sydney as a "most likely" is interesting... Why? :confused:

ep2006
13th June 2008, 03:34 PM
A few months ago I put $20 on Adelaide vs. Hawthorn Grand Final at about 38/1.

Robbo
13th June 2008, 03:40 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

ep2006
13th June 2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah it is looking very dumb now, I think Adelaide will start sliding down the ladder soon.

NMWBloods
13th June 2008, 04:21 PM
Why? :confused:
Because there is not a great deal to suggest currently that Sydney is most likely the best or second best team in the competition.

Industrial Fan
13th June 2008, 04:50 PM
We do have more finals experience than the other teams in contention, esp Hawks and Dogs.

We've performed well in the past 7 weeks without our "best" forward.

Over the past few seasons, our form has tapered to the business end.

Okay, we're not the second best team at the moment, but I wouldn't get on my high horse if people thought we were likely to make it. The natural bias of the site is an obvious factor, but I think we're well placed.

I personally think the team that fills the remaining top 4 spot is a good chance to make the G/F mainly due to relative inexperience of Hawks and Dogs in pressure finals. The major finals are likely to be played in Melbourne too, so there is not going to be the same 'away' parochial advantage to the lower teams.

I should also note that I didn't vote for the swans here...

cruiser
13th June 2008, 04:52 PM
Because there is not a great deal to suggest currently that Sydney is most likely the best or second best team in the competition. But surely there's enough to suggest that we could be there come finals time. All it takes is a top 4 finish (doable), a good QF win and then a PF win. That, plus a bit of thinking with your heart rather than just your head and there's your answer.

NMWBloods
13th June 2008, 04:56 PM
But surely there's enough to suggest that we could be there come finals time. All it takes is a top 4 finish (doable), a good QF win and then a PF win. That, plus a bit of thinking with your heart rather than just your head and there's your answer.Could be - undoubtedly. Most likely - no. And I would have thought that the point of the poll was to get what people think "most likely" not "what you want to see".

NMWBloods
13th June 2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, we're not the second best team at the moment, but I wouldn't get on my high horse if people thought we were likely to make it. The natural bias of the site is an obvious factor, but I think we're well placed.I think we're well placed too, but "most likely" suggests we're best or second-best, which is hard to argue.

As for the natural bias, it comes back to a few issues which come up frequently, such as the Jim Main thread. Should people say what they think or should they only say positive supporting things they wish for? If the latter then it undermines any analysis or poll done here.

I personally think the team that fills the remaining top 4 spot is a good chance to make the G/F mainly due to relative inexperience of Hawks and Dogs in pressure finals. The major finals are likely to be played in Melbourne too, so there is not going to be the same 'away' parochial advantage to the lower teams.Wouldn't disagree with any of that, but still doesn't answer my question without resorting to the 'bias' argument.

Jewels
13th June 2008, 05:02 PM
Because there is not a great deal to suggest currently that Sydney is most likely the best or second best team in the competition.

I don't recall there being a lot to suggest that Sydney was the best or second best team at this stage of the season in 05 or 06 either.

ROK Lobster
13th June 2008, 05:31 PM
Dogs n Pies or Cats n Pies.

Those matchups would appeal to the Asian community.

:p :pThat's terrible.

NMWBloods
13th June 2008, 07:12 PM
I don't recall there being a lot to suggest that Sydney was the best or second best team at this stage of the season in 05 or 06 either.
No, there wasn't. And at this stage of the season in those years you would not have picked them as "most likely" either.

Triple B
13th June 2008, 07:30 PM
That's terrible.

So are the Pies :p

Robbo
13th June 2008, 08:38 PM
If Collingwood make the top 4 then they're a huge chance to make it.

573v30
13th June 2008, 10:17 PM
Cats vs. Hawks with Buddy to kick all of their 10 goals in a losing side.

cruiser
14th June 2008, 09:33 AM
A grand final isnt played between the best and second best teams during a season. It's played by the two best teams contesting the preliminary finals.

NMWBloods
14th June 2008, 10:39 AM
A grand final isnt played between the best and second best teams during a season. It's played by the two best teams contesting the preliminary finals.
And it's only not the best two teams if by some quirk of the finals makeup the best two play off in the PF (as per last year). But you can't predict that and should have no bearing on 'most likely'.

Bloody Hell
15th June 2008, 11:08 AM
Geelong vs Sydney

Geelong is the team to beat, and I'm a Swans supporter.

Swans by 55.

cruiser
15th June 2008, 11:21 AM
And it's only not the best two teams if by some quirk of the finals makeup the best two play off in the PF (as per last year). But you can't predict that and should have no bearing on 'most likely'. Of course it can; finals experience and the ability to win under that kind of pressure.

NMWBloods
15th June 2008, 12:49 PM
Of course it can; finals experience and the ability to win under that kind of pressure.I'm not sure how much finals experience matters for us.

2003 QF v. Port. Swans 0 finals in past two years. Port 5 finals in past two years. Swans win.

2004 SF v. Saints. Swans 3 finals in past two years. Saints 1 final in past two years. Saints win.

2005 PF v. Saints. Swans 4 finals in past two years, 6 in past three. Saints 4 final in past two years. Swans win.

2007 EF v. Collingwood. Swans 11 finals in past four years. Collingwood 1 final in past 4 years. Collingwood win.

Of those, possibly only 2005 PF v. Saints. I don't think 2005 Geel or 2006 Freo or 2003 Bris are about finals experience. And our other 5 finals have been against WC, which is neutral.

Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if it is axiomatic though.

swansrule100
15th June 2008, 01:25 PM
i think the cats will win this years premiership unless something dramatic happens like the team bus crashes.

we have a shot but need to beat one of the top teams which we havent done in our limited chances yet.