PDA

View Full Version : Jesse White

Cheese
18th June 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,

I was just thinking with the introduction of the new Gold Coast team gathering momentum by the day, we have one recruit who i can see would be identified and highly sort after. Although he has not really shown much @ afl (only played one game) i can see him making it.

How hard do you think the new franchise will go after Jesse White? and what are the chances he will leave us?

IMO he would be very sought after due to his size, mobility and by the time they are introduced he will be ready made.

DeadlyAkkuret
18th June 2008, 07:55 PM
I hope Sydney keeps him. He'll be a gun, I'm sure of it.

Primmy
18th June 2008, 08:03 PM
And his leadership qualities are already in evidence. He has taken to directing play, like Mal did when he was pre seniors.

pigatfullfoward
18th June 2008, 08:34 PM
i think he will be a star, have loved watching his game & he's got the build to be a barry hall type player!

Legs Akimbo
18th June 2008, 08:39 PM
Would love to keep him, but of course if he goes, we'd want one of their top-10 draft picks in compensation :)

Triple B
18th June 2008, 08:40 PM
I know the GC will get some concessions, but are they allowed to have 19 players on the field??

573v30
18th June 2008, 08:49 PM
I know the GC will get some concessions, but are they allowed to have 19 players on the field??

If they get 20 of the top 24 draft picks, there's always the chance they can field 19 players or at least get favouritism from the umps.

satchmopugdog
18th June 2008, 09:45 PM

Post of the day

Cheese
18th June 2008, 10:04 PM
Why is it so hard for a thread to stay on topic?

Does anyone think he will go? since he was drafted from southport is this a danger, also he has been starved of a opportunities with such a successful team since he has been drafted. Surely if he was at a lesser club he would have more than one senior game next to his name.

I wonder if this will play a part in his decision? Also wonder what they are going to decide with the GC as the draft concessions are not set in stone. Hopefully if he does decide to go we at least get something in return. Although, it would really strain out young KP stocks that we quite obviously don't have the depth that a Hawthorn have.

Which reminds me, as we have done most recently who will our big name KPF recruit be in the post O'Loughlin/Hall era. I would be hoping young Mitch Thorp has had enough on the limited oppotunities at Hawthorn and decides to forge his career with another team. He is highly rated though so would take some trading, can't see too much we could offer, but always worth dreaming. Possibly 1st rounder & a quality youngster. As much as I hate to say it at the moment the only one i can think of that is dispensable and quality is J.Moore, know it will never happen but something we will need to address sooner rather than later.

liz
18th June 2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone think he will go? since he was drafted from southport is this a danger, also he has been starved of a opportunities with such a successful team since he has been drafted. Surely if he was at a lesser club he would have more than one senior game next to his name.

Has he really be starved of opportunities? Or is in he in the same boat as all but the very best U18 players who would really be better off being given time to develop physically and skill-wise at his own pace, rather than being thrown in the deep end into AFL footy before he is really ready.

A combination of much smaller lists than 10 or 15 years ago and the (predominantly Melbourne based) crap clubs who are obsessed with getting the youngest lists they can (with the expectation of being further rewarded for fielding teams that physically aren't up to it) means that far too many players are blooded at senior level before they are ready. For every Judd or Selwood, there would be a dozen or so players who would be better off not playing AFL footy straight away - not least so that they learn to earn a spot, rather than being gifted one.

But even those crap clubs tend not to throw their 196cm players into the fray straight away. How many games has the number 3 player from White's draft - Hansen - played, for example. OK, more than 1, but not by much.

Add on to that the fact that White wasn't really an elite level junior, and the club commented when he was drafted that he had a lot to learn about AFL, I think they are doing the right thing by not rushing him. If you've seen much of him at reserves level you will know that he shows promise and some exciting athletic attributes but is far from dominating even at that level.

satchmopugdog
18th June 2008, 10:23 PM
Why is it so hard for a thread to stay on topic?

Sorry....just having a bit of a laugh! Helps me get through a tough and demoralising day.

What Liz says is accurate and of course they will have tossed his name about just as they have looked at people like whats his face the ex- lions capt for their coach. Any Qld connection would be a point of contact just like a Tassie team would look at ex-Tasmanians(except Cresswell)

mcs
18th June 2008, 11:03 PM
its awfully hard for anyone to have an informed opinion about it when it is still a couple of years away from being a possibility. Who knows what opportunities he will get between now and then?
And stuff giving our quality youngster up to get another unproven youngster! And especially not Jarred Moore- you have to remember we have a lot of older players and a lot that will exit the stage about the same time. We should hang on for dear life. Sure give some draft picks away if necessary, but not players that we need to form the group that will become the next 'experienced' brigade.

DST
18th June 2008, 11:14 PM
While he looks promising, who's to say he will be on our senior list (or any for that matter)come 3 years time?

Start talking about this type of issue at the end of 2010 when GC will be in a position to start offering draft picks for targeted players.

DST
:D

hot potato
19th June 2008, 12:50 AM
I would like to these promising types given rotations thru the ones, even if they just get a smell of it, like 20-30 mins of game time especially when some of the seniors have niggling injuries and could use a week off, and The SWans are playing teams in the bottom half. This gradual intro into the pace and intensity and demands of AFL will build their confidence.

They have of course done this with Jack, Moore n Bird and others, and it discovers whether they are going to cut it.

if he's as good as u guys say he is , be good to see him get some time in the seniors sooner rather than later.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th June 2008, 02:25 AM
I would be hoping young Mitch Thorp has had enough on the limited oppotunities at Hawthorn and decides to forge his career with another team. He is highly rated though so would take some trading, can't see too much we could offer, but always worth dreaming. Possibly 1st rounder & a quality youngster. As much as I hate to say it at the moment the only one i can think of that is dispensable and quality is J.Moore, know it will never happen but something we will need to address sooner rather than later.

You can't see much we can offer for a virtually untried youngster? We're not desperate enough to offer a 1st rounder and Moore for some of Hawthorn's scraps.

TheMase
19th June 2008, 08:25 AM
If he is good enough in 2009, sign him for enough years to cover past 2011...

goswannie14
19th June 2008, 08:42 AM
That was my thought too.

Jeffers1984
19th June 2008, 09:36 AM
If he is good enough in 2009, sign him for enough years to cover past 2011...

Correct Weight Masey.

Donners
20th June 2008, 12:00 PM
I wonder if the poaching system will work as it did when Port Adelaide came in. They had to give two picks for the uncontracted players they signed - a 1st and 3rd round IIRC - which was a decent deal for Heuskes.

Nico
20th June 2008, 02:16 PM
Many of us on RWO were calling for more youth to be introduced last year. This year the development program is seen at work with the introduction of Jack and Moore and the more than coming to fruition talent of McVeigh (many were calling for his axing). It is clear that the method of resisting the temptation to play players purely on potential is working and White falls fair and square into that category.

We could have had a bit more variety towards the end of last year and possibly taken us a bit further into the finals but we probably still would not have beaten Collingwood. So in the name of development a higher position looks like it was sacrificed.

I am happy with what I am seeing now for the future so if White realises the potential we think he has then 2009 onwards is fine by me. It appears also that Currie has slotted nicely into that category.