PDA

View Full Version : Sydney v Collingwood: pre match discussion

cruiser
23rd June 2008, 12:22 AM
Looks like Rocca's return was short lived and he won't be playing against us. He often causes us trouble when he plays against us.

Matt79
23rd June 2008, 12:29 AM
Hopefully we will get 70,000 to this game.

ugg
23rd June 2008, 12:30 AM
Differences between the EF sides and today's sides.

Out: E.Barlow, J.Crouch, N.Davis, S.Dempster, P.Everitt, N.Fosdike, B.Mathews, A.Schneider
In: A. Buchanan, H. Playfair, T.Kennelly, M. Mattner, J. Moore, K. Jack, C. Bird, L.Ablett

Out: N.Buckley, J.Clement, T.Cloke, L.Davis, J.Fraser, G.Richards, S.Rusling, S.Wakelin
In: B.Johnson, R. Shaw, C. Wood, C. Bryan, A. Toovey, N. Brown, S. Wellingham, B.Reid

Go Swannies
23rd June 2008, 12:44 AM
Official Website of the Australian Football League > News Article > Injured talls add to Magpie woes (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=61977)

COLLINGWOOD looks likely to be without tall forward pair Anthony Rocca and Ben Reid for an extended period, with both players suffering potentially serious foot injuries in the Pies' 10-point loss to the Western Bulldogs.

"Both boys have come off not too good," Malthouse said after the game.

"We'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to start making predictions. Neither will be available next week, I would imagine.

"It's roughly where the screw went into [Rocca's] ankle after the last operation. That's where he's sore, and Ben looks like he may have broken his foot.

Cheer Squad
23rd June 2008, 10:52 AM
Differences between the EF sides and today's sides.

Out: E.Barlow, J.Crouch, N.Davis, S.Dempster, P.Everitt, N.Fosdike, B.Mathews, A.Schneider
In: A. Buchanan, H. Playfair, T.Kennelly, M. Mattner, J. Moore, K. Jack, C. Bird, L.Ablett

Out: N.Buckley, J.Clement, T.Cloke, L.Davis, J.Fraser, G.Richards, S.Rusling, S.Wakelin
In: B.Johnson, R. Shaw, C. Wood, C. Bryan, A. Toovey, N. Brown, S. Wellingham, B.Reid

We are certainly a different and stronger side from the team that bowed out in last year's EF. I think it's fair to say we're not missing Crouch, Dempster, Mathews, or Schneider. I'm not so sure about Davis, Fosdike and Everitt. Barlow is still a work in progress.

NMWBloods
23rd June 2008, 11:09 AM
Our net change snce the EF is significantly better than Collingwood's. In particular Kennelly and Mattner, as well as the flexibility from Moore, Jack and Bird.

They gain from the return of Johnson and the continued improvement of R Shaw, but losing Cloke, Davis, Fraser, Rusling and Wakelin are huge, and the departures of Buckley and Clement are a problem for Collingwood's stability in pressure games.

Triple B
23rd June 2008, 11:19 AM
.....but losing Cloke, Davis, Fraser, Rusling and Wakelin are huge

Are Cloke, Davis, Fraser and Wakelin all out for the Sydney game??

Jeffers1984
23rd June 2008, 11:21 AM
I didn't realise Cloke was suspended for another week. Bonus for us for sure! No Rocca No Cloke.

NMWBloods
23rd June 2008, 11:29 AM
Are Cloke, Davis, Fraser and Wakelin all out for the Sydney game??
I was just basing it on Ugg's list but now I realise he was referring to the game just gone not the upcoming game.

Cloke will be back.
Davis and Fraser are possible.

Yesterday's game shows they still can't be underestimated though, despite loss of personnel.

Triple B
23rd June 2008, 11:40 AM
Yesterday's game shows they still can't be underestimated though, despite loss of personnel.

Agree, but after the hidings they gave us last year and the fact they have generally owned us in the past few years, you'd hate to think we would underestimate them.

hammo
23rd June 2008, 12:16 PM
Agree, but after the hidings they gave us last year and the fact they have generally owned us in the past few years, you'd hate to think we would underestimate them.

There is no chance we would underestimate them for the reasons you outline. Also, it's getting pretty desperate for them in terms of the top 8 and dropping back to the chasing pack.

I just hope the Collingwood side that thrashed Geelong isn't the side that turns up on July 5.

sprite
23rd June 2008, 12:22 PM
All we have to do is call it a BLOCKBUSTER game and Mick will go spare.. the players will go into panic mode.

Ahh it's the Blockbusterwobbles

mcs
23rd June 2008, 01:23 PM
it is a blockbuster as it is almost a make or break game for their season- a loss and the top 4 is suddenly 14 points out of their reach. Likewise, a win for us and we can certainly enhance our top 4 chances, whereas a loss could significantly bring us back to the field. Hopefully will be a big crowd, and well I dont care so much about the game as long as we win. It is critical that we win and imo a win will set us up for the 2nd half of the season and imo a genuine shot at the flag.
Excited already and its 12 days away. Cant wait should be awesome!

BigD
23rd June 2008, 09:54 PM
I can't wait for this one. Unfortunately I have to work that Saturday and don't finish until 6:00 pm so I'll have to bolt from the office in the city out to the ground. I wish I wasn't so I could soak up the atmosphere before the match.

thejones,s
23rd June 2008, 10:04 PM
Dont worry Daz we'll soak it up for you..hehehehehehehehehe

BigD
23rd June 2008, 10:11 PM
Dont worry Daz we'll soak it up for you..hehehehehehehehehe

I'll see you there.

NMWBloods
23rd June 2008, 10:13 PM
The latest Barry Hall Hall ad used to promote the upcoming game, with Hall trying to stab the umpire on the TV with his foil, is quite funny.

TheMase
23rd June 2008, 10:14 PM
The latest Barry Hall Hall ad used to promote the upcoming game, with Hall trying to stab the umpire on the TV with his foil, is quite funny.
"When the umpire misinterprets a few words of encouragement..."

573v30
23rd June 2008, 10:14 PM

A left hook would do the trick. ;)

hammo
23rd June 2008, 10:46 PM
There is obviously no long term damage to Hall's image in Sydney if the Barry Hall Hall ads are being dusted off.

hot potato
23rd June 2008, 11:17 PM
ROK said they wre being given a much longer holiday to prepare for the Pies clash. Hope it's not but that could be a worry. Will they be asleep again in the first quarter??:frown

Thunder Shaker
23rd June 2008, 11:20 PM
All we have to do is call it a BLOCKBUSTER game and Mick will go spare.. the players will go into panic mode.

Ahh it's the Blockbusterwobbles
Better still, call it a Grand Final, and Collingwood will lose for sure.

Triple B
24th June 2008, 01:24 AM
ROK said they wre being given a much longer holiday to prepare for the Pies clash. Hope it's not but that could be a worry. Will they be asleep again in the first quarter??:frown

That's the point. They've identified they have a very poor record after the week off and are doing something different.

Don't know if it will work, but good on them for trying.

bloodbloods
24th June 2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry to intervene. We're from Melbourne - first time to ANZ stadium. Just booked a ticket. From the airport - How long will it take in a cab to get to the 'Collingwood' game? Should we book a ticket for the game and if so - where should we elect to sit in general admission? Thanks for any help......

Big Al
24th June 2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry to intervene. We're from Melbourne - first time to ANZ stadium. Just booked a ticket. From the airport - How long will it take in a cab to get to the 'Collingwood' game? Should we book a ticket for the game and if so - where should we elect to sit in general admission? Thanks for any help......

There's no General Admission so I would get on to the Ticketek site and get the best seats you can afford. The Cab ride will depend on how close to the game you travel. 30-45 min should do it.

AussieAnge
24th June 2008, 10:09 PM

You may want to sent up a separate thread for these questions as they are likely to get lost amongst the love/hate comments regarding tricky Nicky.

I wouldn't recommend a cab from the airport, suggest you get the train to Central and then get another out to Homebush/ANZ station. If you pre-book your tickets (and have them with you) your travel from Central is included.

bloodbloods
24th June 2008, 10:18 PM
You may want to sent up a separate thread for these questions as they are likely to get lost amongst the love/hate comments regarding tricky Nicky.

I wouldn't recommend a cab from the airport, suggest you get the train to Central and then get another out to Homebush/ANZ station. If you pre-book your tickets (and have them with you) your travel from Central is included.

Yeah should have started a thread. Thanks for the help

Bas
24th June 2008, 10:43 PM

I was going to suggest above too. Taxi far too expensive. Train from the airport to Central, depending where you are staying and luggage.

Don't sit in the nosebleed section. It's too far away. Cheap tickets behind goals, even if it's near the ferals cheer squad would be OK for a view.

DST
24th June 2008, 10:53 PM
78,000 for this one at least.

DST
:D

schwattasboots
25th June 2008, 06:26 PM
we probALLEY GET 80,0000 THOUSAND THERE

liz
26th June 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm starting to wonder if MOD could get a "shock" call up to take on the Pies, based on his recent consistently good ressies form, capped off by last week's BOG. Goodes brings a multitude of things to the team and no-one else is going to be able to come in and do even half of them in his absence. But one of his "things" is hard running into space to provide an option, and then running with the ball. Fosdike can do this, but he's injured. Barlow can do this - even if he's not done it much this year - but he's injured. I think Laidlaw will prove in time that he can do this at senior level but he's injured. I suspect that, on form, MOD might be the next best option.

Of course, if Spida's ready to return they might just bring him in for Goodes, but with the Pies down on tall forward options and not having the best ruck division in the world, keeping LRT in as the second ruck is probably as good bringing Spida back. Cloke is a very good opponent for LRT in defense but Teddy can probably do a decent job too, and I am not sure that Ted is well suited to any of the Pies' medium or small forwards.

The other possible "in" would be Schmidt, to take Goodsey's place in the onball rotations but his form hasn't been sparkling in recent weeks and given that the Pies ran the Swans ragged three times last year, I think MOD's run and carry might be more valuable than Schmidt's ability to win contested ball.

Is MOD ready for senior action? I'm not really sure, but there's only one way to find out.

cruiser
26th June 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm starting to wonder if MOD could get a "shock" call up to take on the Pies, Sorry, please remind me who MOD is?

Missy
26th June 2008, 04:34 PM
Matt O'Dwyer

Bas
30th June 2008, 10:45 PM
Back in focus for next Saturday.

I think having Goodes out might not be a bad thing. From memory, he hasn't had big games against the knuckledraggers in the last 3 games.

With him missing, the other players will know he won't be there to rescue them so hopefully they will lift.

As of who comes in? Hopefully Spida. i don't think we have anyone to cover Goodes except possibly for Barlow.

I would assume Bird will be back as well.

Triple B
30th June 2008, 11:11 PM
I think having Goodes out might not be a bad thing. From memory, he hasn't had big games against the knuckledraggers in the last 3 games.

Your memory fails you big time.

If it wasn't for Goodes, we would have lost the last H&A Pie game and the final by 60+ points. He was positively outstanding.

DeadlyAkkuret
30th June 2008, 11:13 PM
I actually recall Goodes having some blinders against the Pies, even in a losing side.

liz
30th June 2008, 11:18 PM

If it wasn't for Goodes, we would have lost the last H&A Pie game and the final by 60+ points. He was positively outstanding.

Triple B is spot on. Even over on a certain Pies site, posters who had previously been dismissive of Goodes, claiming he was over-rated, were drooling over his performances in those two late season games against the Pies.

(And for what it's worth I think the umpires agreed. IIRC he got the 3 Brownlow votes in the round 21 game - pretty unusual for that to happen when your team gets absolutely thumped. He certainly got some votes, even if it wasn't the 3.)

Industrial Fan
30th June 2008, 11:25 PM
Pretty sure he got the 3 points for bog in Sydney last year? (whichever game was later in the season...)

Edit: Just saw Lizs post. I agree!

DeadlyAkkuret
30th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Goodes averages 22.1 disposals against Collingwood, higher than his averages against any other team. He was also rated in Sydney's best in all three matches against them in 2007.

mcs
30th June 2008, 11:30 PM
I reckon it might be a straight swap goodes for Everitt if he is fit. A big big loss for us but compensated for by some of the big name Pies missing as well.

An absolute massive game for us, especially if Geelong knock off the crows the night before- can give us some very valuable breathing space from 5th going into a tough patch of games. Those pies will be well and truly up for it so we will have to be at the top of our game though.

Triple B
30th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Brownlow Medal Rd 21 v Collingwood 2007

3 votes: A.Goodes
2 votes: D Swan
1 vote: S.Pendlebury

If they gave votes in finals, the 3 votes would have been the same. That's my opinion, the above votes are fact.

573v30
30th June 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm not too sure how many big names will be missing for the Pies. Apparently Davis, Fraser and Wakelin were training today and likely to return along with Cloke.

TheMase
30th June 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not too sure how many big names will be missing for the Pies. Apparently Davis, Fraser and Wakelin were training today and likely to return along with Cloke.

Rocca :D

Mogg0
1st July 2008, 03:00 AM
He said big names.

ScottH
1st July 2008, 08:17 AM
Brownlow Medal Rd 21 v Collingwood 2007

3 votes: A.Goodes
2 votes: D Swan
1 vote: S.Pendlebury

If they gave votes in finals, the 3 votes would have been the same. That's my opinion, the above votes are fact.

Also in the TLM:

Round 21 - 5 Votes (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337381&postcount=73)

EF - 5 Votes (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337582&postcount=91)

Bas
1st July 2008, 01:39 PM

You are probably right.

I was at that Rd 21 game as well having travelled down. I was in too much shock having watched the Swans get done in Sydney and then again in Melbourne.

In that case, we might be in serious trouble if the others don't step up.

Triple B
1st July 2008, 01:42 PM
Also in the TLM:

Round 21 - 5 Votes (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337381&postcount=73)

EF - 5 Votes (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337582&postcount=91)

Ah well, forget the Brownlow, there's the clincher right there, the TLM. :p :p

Claret
2nd July 2008, 05:15 PM
Do we tag Heath Shaw? So far this year it's proven to be a winning tactic. Would suck for my Dream Team though!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bevan line up next to him.

BSA5
2nd July 2008, 05:18 PM
Do we tag Heath Shaw? So far this year it's proven to be a winning tactic. Would suck for my Dream Team though!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bevan line up next to him.

Yep. Play Bevan at HF on Shaw. If that fails, perhaps move Mattner on to Shaw. It would solve a nice little debate I'm having with a Pies fan about who is having the better season!

smasher
3rd July 2008, 06:57 AM
Looking forward to this match.Collingwood are talking about playing three talls (Fraser,Wood and Bryan) along with Cloke.It is looking like Spida will return for us so we will have two top big men along with our players who play tall.Saw C'Wood train and they looked sharp.Have just seem MOL on telly and he says they know their game plan and it's up to the players to play to it.
Should be a cracker and I hope we can finally get the points over them.

Lucky Knickers
3rd July 2008, 08:47 AM
Buttercup ran rings around Melcho last year at Homebush, even though he is slightly down this season he can be very damaging if he gets his confidence up. If Bevo takes Shaw who can run with the Blonde Troll?

TheMase
3rd July 2008, 08:52 AM
Buttercup ran rings around Melcho last year at Homebush, even though he is slightly down this season he can be very damaging if he gets his confidence up. If Bevo takes Shaw who can run with the Blonde Troll?

Mattner perhaps.

swansrule100
3rd July 2008, 09:44 AM
we need to stop that annoying little pansy dale thomas. Always plays well against us.

Lucky Knickers
3rd July 2008, 10:15 AM
Who do you think Buttercup and the Blonde Troll is?

connolly
3rd July 2008, 10:22 AM
Who do you think Buttercup and the Blonde Troll is?

Also known as Warwick Cappers Love Child (as of today). My guess is Cracker will take him, nail him and run off the showpony. Wazza's Love Child is very very unaccountable.

ShockOfHair
3rd July 2008, 03:43 PM
I was totally confident about this, but I'd forgotten about our slow re-starts. Our Q1 against St Kilda in round one was probably our worst quarter for the season.

That's why everyone got a week off last week, says Roos:
Moment of truth for Swans - AFL - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23959104-23211,00.html)

Swans should win -- we have a lot more run and carry than last year and Hall is fit again. But the Pies are coming off two losses in a row. I reckdon first quarter will tell.

CureTheSane
3rd July 2008, 03:49 PM
This is such an important game for me.
If the Swans lose, any H & A game, then that may be offset by a Collingwood loss - I won't feel as bad.
If Collingwood win, then I am in a bad mood that will only be helped with a Swans win.

So when the Swans play the Wobbles, it's all on the line.
Either really happy or really pissed off.
The only small plus is that my best friend (Collingwood supporter) is still in Ireland.

hot potato
3rd July 2008, 06:00 PM
There is so much being said about The Swans past failures against the Pies, I hope the young blokes enthuse the old blokes to just forget about all that and go out and play aggressively, with some tempo footy when necessary to starve them of the ball like they have in many quarters over the past 6 winning games, ferocious tackling and kicking straight for goals early on will be the winning formula.

Any drowsiness in the first quarter would be stressful for all supporters.:mad:

DST
3rd July 2008, 06:20 PM
Interesting that an article lobed up today on the Swans website about Brabazon.

Could he be in line for a debut in place of Goodes?

DST

connolly
3rd July 2008, 06:24 PM
Interesting that an article lobed up today on the Swans website about Brabazon.

Could he be in line for a debut in place of Goodes?

DST

Great if he is. Fantastic opportunity for the kid.

Justice
3rd July 2008, 06:26 PM
In: Everitt
Out: Goodes (suspended)

source (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=62644)

Cheers

Justice

swantastic
3rd July 2008, 06:35 PM
Out 1 hack in with another,whats the go there?

B: Malceski, Barry, Mattner.
HB: C Bolton, Richards, Kennelly.
C: Jack, McVeigh, Buchanan.
HF: O?Keefe, Hall, Ablett
F: Bevan, O'Loughlin, Roberts-Thomson
FOL: Jolly, Kirk, J Bolton
INT : Bird, Everitt, Moore, Playfair
EMG: Grundy, Mathews, Schmidt.

IN: Peter Everitt
OUT: Adam Goodes (Suspended)

FFS Swans what the @@@@ are you doing putting Mathews on the emg list.Just put him out to pasture or take him to the glue factory.

Lets just end all our suffering.

connolly
3rd July 2008, 06:35 PM
In: Everitt
Out: Goodes (suspended)

source (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=62644)

Cheers

Justice

Benny Mathews still on the cusp. Will he make the 200?

swantastic
3rd July 2008, 06:38 PM
Benny Mathews still on the cusp. Will he make the 200?In a couple of words,@@@@ i hope not.

573v30
3rd July 2008, 08:40 PM
No surprise that Spida would be called up to replace Goodes. Mathews should be replaced with a youngster like Brabazon as emergency.

Thunder Shaker
4th July 2008, 11:49 AM
Triple B is spot on. Even over on a certain Pies site, posters who had previously been dismissive of Goodes, claiming he was over-rated, were drooling over his performances in those two late season games against the Pies.

(And for what it's worth I think the umpires agreed. IIRC he got the 3 Brownlow votes in the round 21 game - pretty unusual for that to happen when your team gets absolutely thumped. He certainly got some votes, even if it wasn't the 3.)
R21 Sydney v Collingwood: 3: Adam Goodes (SY), 2: Dane Swan (CW), 1: Scott Pendlebury (CW)
Collingwood 3.6 9.8 12.10 15.11 (101)
Sydney 4.0 7.4 8.6 11.10 (76)

waterfowl
5th July 2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting article

How Mick Malthouse cracked the Sydney Swans' code | Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,23963979-5016140,00.html)

Quotes;

"We thought their [the Swans] game style suited our game style," Buckley said.

Buckley claims the Swans' young players have given them a significant edge and rates their three-pronged half-back line of Tadhg Kennelly, Nick Malceski and Martin Mattner as almost impossible to stop.

Bas
5th July 2008, 05:02 PM
Buckley claims the Swans' young players have given them a significant edge and rates their three-pronged half-back line of Tadhg Kennelly, Nick Malceski and Martin Mattner as almost impossible to stop.

Let's see tonight. I hope that is the case.

My fear is that they will come out of the box like they have in previous games. They are right in that they lift themselves against the SWans like the Swans have done against the lIons.

connolly
5th July 2008, 05:04 PM
Interesting article

How Mick Malthouse cracked the Sydney Swans' code | Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,23963979-5016140,00.html)

Quotes;

"We thought their [the Swans] game style suited our game style," Buckley said.

This is Collingwood. They are up to something.

ShockOfHair
5th July 2008, 06:22 PM
I thought that story was interesting in drawing the analogy between Bloods-Lions and Pies-Bloods. I remember after our 1-pointer in 2005 Malthouse saying "Sydney play every match like it's a final". Praise indeed.
Anyway, enough civility. I hope we smash them tonight, not just for winning the last four and dumping us out of the finals, and not just coz they're Collingwood, and not just because Eddie Maguire is the most obnoxious person in the league, but for the sheer bare-faced cheek of putting the national flag on their logo. As if to compete against them is un-Australian. What a bunch of onanists. Go Bloods!