PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstained Angels: the Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion

goswannies
26th June 2008, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of a book called Bloodstained Angels: the Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre?
if you do, could you please email me @ [email protected]

satchmopugdog
26th June 2008, 05:52 PM
I tried to borrow that once from our library system but it was reported lost...place lost from....the library at Risdon Prison. I burst out laughing in the library and got the evils.

connolly
26th June 2008, 08:47 PM
I tried to borrow that once from our library system but it was reported lost...place lost from....the library at Risdon Prison. I burst out laughing in the library and got the evils.

Those Magpie supporters. Tried to kill Bobby Pratt now this!

goswannie14
26th June 2008, 08:51 PM
I thought you were going to tell us Bevo had a copy.;)

connolly
26th June 2008, 08:56 PM
I thought you were going to tell us Bevo had a copy.;)

Now that you mention it that is an interesting theory. Bevo has stepped straight out of the Blood Stained Angel textbook

Emerald Hill
26th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Mike Lefebvre is a lawyer/solicitor in Melbourne. If you contact his office, they may be able to help. I have a copy of the book you can borrow if you like.

connolly
26th June 2008, 10:44 PM
Mike Lefebvre is a lawyer/solicitor in Melbourne. If you contact his office, they may be able to help. I have a copy of the book you can borrow if you like.

Just as a matter of interest when do the authors date the official appointment of the wretched water bird as club mascot?

The Bloods officially became the Swans in 1953 - much to the ire of old timers, who point out that the club's achievements under the revised moniker have been negligible

Sydney (2) (http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/Sydney_part_2.htm)

I realise there was a thread about the bloods/swans history but this is one reference that does specify the disasterous decision as in 1953. The club was the Bloods up until then, should still be now and the WA players of 1933 had absolutely nothing to do with the bird.

BSA5
26th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Just as a matter of interest when do the authors date the official appointment of the wretched water bird as club mascot?

The Bloods officially became the Swans in 1953 - much to the ire of old timers, who point out that the club's achievements under the revised moniker have been negligible

I realise there was a thread about the bloods/swans history but this is one reference that does specify the disasterous decision as in 1953. The club was the Bloods up until then, should still be now and the WA players of 1933 had absolutely nothing to do with the bird.

To the best of my knowledge, the "Swans" nickname existed from the 30s. It just wasn't officially adopted until 1953. Before 1953, they had always been the South Melbourne Football Club, commonly referred to as the Swans.

Foreign Legion
26th June 2008, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of a book called Bloodstained Angels: the Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre?
if you do, could you please email me @ [email protected]

My Biography!

Actually would be an interesting read - let us know if anyone finds somewhere where it can be purchased.

Emerald Hill
27th June 2008, 12:37 AM

I have a reference that says

"It was generally believed that the club gained its nickname because the old Lake Oval was only yards away from Albert Park Lake, home of many swans. However, the Sporting Globe in 1932 suggested there were so many West Australians playing with South the club should be known as the Swans. The name stuck, although old diehards preferred the old nickname of the Bloods or the Bloodstained Angels."

This is from Jim Main and Russell Holmesby in their research for This Football Century.

satchmopugdog
27th June 2008, 06:37 PM

Good one

connolly
27th June 2008, 06:57 PM
I have a reference that says

"It was generally believed that the club gained its nickname because the old Lake Oval was only yards away from Albert Park Lake, home of many swans. However, the Sporting Globe in 1932 suggested there were so many West Australians playing with South the club should be known as the Swans. The name stuck, although old diehards preferred the old nickname of the Bloods or the Bloodstained Angels."

This is from Jim Main and Russell Holmesby in their research for This Football Century.

The Sporting Globe FFS! The Swans was a pejorative in thirties. The name didn't stick - it was some idiot's bright idea to market the club with a softer image.

goswannies
30th June 2008, 05:01 PM
My Biography!

Actually would be an interesting read - let us know if anyone finds somewhere where it can be purchased.

There is a re-print planned for later this year

ShockOfHair
30th June 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm sure you can draw a direct link between the adoption of the Swans moniker and South Melbourne's eventual eviction from Melbourne. I can't believe they gave up an excellent name like the Bloods. No wonder they lost r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

From now on, I'm calling them Bloods. No more S-word.

(If another team would call themselves the Crips, it would make rivalry round a lot more interesting.)

craigusvegas
30th June 2008, 11:19 PM
well that could have been st kilda when jason cripps was an active part - but I see he is now an assistant at some other club (forget which one) so maybe his influence will spread so absolutely there that they will become the cripps (but they would have to have an overwhelming amount of blue in the 'colors' (usa spelling included) actually, crips stands for 'cry babies run in packs' so maybe st kilda is the best placed to assume that moniker (thanks nick!) :)