PDA

View Full Version : Footballer gaoled for behind play hit

cruiser
4th July 2008, 08:13 AM
Bazza beware! Australian rules player jailed for punch - National - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rules-player-jailed--for-punch/2008/07/03/1214950951566.html)

Fair enough too. Being on a footy field is not an excuse for blatant thuggery and violence.

swantastic
4th July 2008, 08:36 AM
That's not the truth there cruiser,the other guy deserved a whack in the mouth he hit the bloke first.

The gut was interviewed on 3Aw yesterday and there is a lot of bad blood between himself and the oter guy.

They were best mates and moved down to melbourne to gether for work years ago and then moved back up tp play for glenrowen football club.

Then the bloke(the hitter) left the club and its been going ever since in wangaratta.

goswannie14
4th July 2008, 09:01 AM
The code should punish him not the courts. This is becoming a Nanna state, absolutely ridiculous, especially given the background to the incident.

NMWBloods
4th July 2008, 10:33 AM
Bazza beware! Australian rules player jailed for punch - National - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rules-player-jailed--for-punch/2008/07/03/1214950951566.html)

Fair enough too. Being on a footy field is not an excuse for blatant thuggery and violence.
Should Hall go to jail?

swansrule100
4th July 2008, 11:26 AM
Should Hall go to jail?

everyone at my work has told me all day he should

Thunder Shaker
4th July 2008, 11:41 AM
everyone at my work has told me all day he should
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

ShockOfHair
4th July 2008, 01:03 PM
I liked where he says "I'm just an ordinary bloke minding my own business". An ordinary bloke, with three assault convictions.

Taking the matter to court might be over the top, but it's not unfair. There's not a lot of difference in getting whacked behind play and getting whacked in a front bar, whether it's by a perfect stranger or your oldest enemy.

If Bazza started playing today he'd be thrown out. There's a bloke in West Australia walking around with a plate in his head, courtesy of a seconds game against BBBH. It wouldn't be tolerated today.

cruiser
4th July 2008, 02:28 PM
Should Hall go to jail?
Of course not. He smashed an Evil. We all know they deserve it. ;)

swantastic
4th July 2008, 02:33 PM
Should Hall go to jail?No what happens on the field should stay on the field.

NMWBloods
4th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Of course not. He smashed an Evil. We all know they deserve it. ;)
Good point - justifiable assault!

BeeEmmAre
4th July 2008, 04:25 PM
More on this from the Border Mail in Wodonga.

http://bordermail.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/footy-attack-leads-to-jail/803397.aspx

http://bordermail.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/sentence-seen-as-a-warning/803923.aspx

This sentence is absolutely laughable in my opinion.
He was suspended by the tribunal and that's where it should end.
What happens on the field stays on the field, within reason of course, and this is within reason.

cruiser
4th July 2008, 04:43 PM
No what happens on the field should stay on the field. What if an act of on-field violence results in death?

What happens on the field stays on the field, within reason of course, and this is within reason.

The impact of the blow knocked Hutton unconscious for three to four minutes.

His teeth penetrated his lips and he suffered permanent scarring. You think this sounds 'reasonable'?

BeeEmmAre
4th July 2008, 06:32 PM
My wording was ordinary, I'll admit.

No, that's not reasonable, but I would have thought a 12-week suspension would suffice.
His suspension was lenient, the jail term was too harsh.

Robbo
4th July 2008, 07:05 PM
Assault is assualt. I've never seen why it should be any different on the football field.

NMWBloods
4th July 2008, 07:55 PM
Assault is assualt. I've never seen why it should be any different on the football field.
So you think Hall should be charged?

573v30
4th July 2008, 09:09 PM
I smell a potential precedent coming. This better not lead to a slippery slope of changes that will ultimately result in a version of netball that players kick, not throw the ball.

Robbo
4th July 2008, 10:08 PM
So you think Hall should be charged?

For that, yes. But I guess it would depend on whether Staker wanted to lay charges.

Punching someone out should be assault whether it's on a footy field or in a dark alley in Frankston.

cruiser
4th July 2008, 10:42 PM
or in a dark alley in Frankston. It doesnt need to be a dark alley in Frankston to be scary.

BSA5
5th July 2008, 12:29 AM
Geeze, you can go to jail for two months for punching a bloke nowadays? @@@@. I once punched a kid in the mouth in kindergarten. Should I go to jail too?

People are too soft these days.

givekidsakick
5th July 2008, 12:43 PM
He should have taken lessons from plugger on how to do it properly eg like Caven......where he caved his nose in and he only got 8 weeks.