PDA

View Full Version : Fat controller has truly lost the plot

ROK Lobster
12th July 2008, 11:39 AM
AFL eyes Ireland for Celtic team - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/irish-afl-team-for-sydney/2008/07/11/1215658137146.html)

@@@@ me, what a stupid idea. Some things are better the simpler they are. In the last 10 years Aussie Rules has become increasingly complicated (in terms of rules, the draw, the pre-season experiments, television schedules and the like). If Vlad is left to run the place for much longer it will simply be a circus, an entertainment product for television rather than a sport. Does Aussie Rules need an international audience to be a success? Does it even want one? It might make the administrators feel successful but is it good for the game (or the fans)? What benefit is there? Seems to me that there is a suspicion that western Sydney will no get behind a second team, so get Ireland behind it. How @@@@ing crazy.

Glenn
12th July 2008, 12:29 PM
Only benefits it would gain is a wider audience base and more sponsorship revenue.
Would it benefit the fans?? I doubt it but since when do the AFL give a stuff about the fans.

573v30
12th July 2008, 12:57 PM
Western Sydney will be rugby league territory for a long, long time if an Irish-based team is formed in that neck of the woods.

MarshallG
12th July 2008, 02:47 PM
Oops, wrong forum.

Official Website of the Australian Football League > NEWS ARTICLE > AFL considering 'Sydney Celtics' (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=63195)

AFL considering 'Sydney Celtics'

The AFL is considering a radical proposal to launch an Irish-dominated team in Sydney's western suburbs which would perform before an international audience under the Celtic brand name.

Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick confirmed on Friday night the Irish option was being explored as a possible basis for the competition's 18th team, to debut as early as 2012.

BSA5
12th July 2008, 04:07 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Won't happen, either. Given the friction between the AFL and GAA, and the fact that Ireland hates the fact that all their Gaelic stars are leaving to play Aussie rules, it won't be supported in Ireland. Also, Demetriou is far too focused on spreading the game in NSW, and setting up an Irish team there is the worst thing possible. They won't get any support, and they won't have any real future. It couldn't happen..... could it?

Dunger
12th July 2008, 08:44 PM
I think it's a good idea. It stops a melbourne team reluctantly relocating and going through a few years of trying to reorganise. It also stops the afl from creating another silly nickname for a team with a thousand different colours like the Dockers. There's also an established fan base, those being Irish, their nationality and heritage which would transcend prejudices (if any) towards afl if they were league/union fans...

The irish may hate the fact their athletes are chasing the money but it's no wonder Irish stars are leaving in droves to play Rules and other sports - the GAA keeps them as amateurs yet the organisation has billions in its coffers.

I'm sure the homesick Irish over here would get behind the celtics. The Irish flock to holes such as Scruffy Murphys and other 'traditional' Irish pubs, so I'd put money on them and other sydney siders that don't like the swans or even afl altogether getting behind an irish themed sports team.

Industrial Fan
14th July 2008, 03:33 PM
I think they've just got the wrong name.

I would go with the Western Sydney Potatoes.

Why not make a world first and name a team after a vegetable?

Btw, who on earth came up with the name Ironmen for the Goldcoast team?

AnnieH
14th July 2008, 03:50 PM
It's all a big irish joke.

They're the Blacktown Bogans. Don't the journalists read this site anymore??

hammo
14th July 2008, 03:51 PM
Btw, who on earth came up with the name Ironmen for the Goldcoast team?
Those five suggestions are woeful aren't they?

I've had something of an epiphany in the past few weeks and think Tasmania should be home to the 18th side, if there has to be one.

While I like the idea of the "Celtics", I don't think Sydney can handle a second team and certainly can't see any groundswell of support for one.

Tasmanians would be immediately passionate for their team and hopefully we can be spared a stupid name like the Guards or Ironmen.

goswannie14
14th July 2008, 03:52 PM
The poll on the AFL site for the GC nickname has "none of the above" in the lead at the moment.:D

NMWBloods
14th July 2008, 03:57 PM
I think Tassie should get a team before Sydney gets a second.

reigning premier
14th July 2008, 04:01 PM
I think Tassie should get a team before Sydney gets a second.

They'll need two teams... One for each head on the locals to support....

Glenn
14th July 2008, 07:55 PM
The poll on the AFL site for the GC nickname has "none of the above" in the lead at the moment.:D

Gold Coast None of the above. :eek: :p

Claret
15th July 2008, 10:17 AM
Caro has got another one wrong, there isn't and nor has there ever been a plan to give the West Sydney team an Irish flavour.

When is she going to stop making stuff up?