PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Doyle back from injury

ShockOfHair
13th July 2008, 12:28 AM
...at Norwood.

"Among those to come back into the side after being hampered by injury concerns is ruckman Stephen Doyle, recruited from Sydney this season."

Jarman hopes to win for Parsons | AdelaideNow (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,24001464-21546,00.html)

Poor old Doyley.

But very sad about Michael Parsons, for those who ever followed SANFL in the 80s. As the story hints, ex-basketballer beanpole ruckman for the Roosters who helped them hoist the flag in 87.

satchmopugdog
13th July 2008, 04:06 AM
That is sad about Parsons...pretty sure he came from Launceston where he played basketball.

Glenn
13th July 2008, 09:47 AM
Can Doyle survive the warm-up??
Really should take up a career as a poster boy for MBF.;)

stellation
13th July 2008, 11:11 AM
Really should take up a career as a post
nyuk nyuk nyuk :p

JUDO
15th July 2008, 07:38 PM
...at Norwood.

But very sad about Michael Parsons, for those who ever followed SANFL in the 80s. As the story hints, ex-basketballer beanpole ruckman for the Roosters who helped them hoist the flag in 87.

MICHAEL PARSONS played 25 games for the swans between 1988-90, and kicked 14 goals.

SimonH
21st July 2008, 04:56 PM
Make sure you are sitting down before reading this post.

Everyone will be shocked to hear that Stephen Doyle missed last weekend's game with a knee injury.

Norwood recruited heavily from the ranks of ex-Swans in the 2007/8 off-season, picking up Doyle, Sam Rowe, Phillips and Matt Davis. (In fact, with the number of listed players likely to be available for the Swans 2nds' next Canberra game, Norwood may be able to lay more claim to being the Swans' reserves than the official team.)

Sam Rowe is still improving but has looked like he really has something. Smokey Davis solid and dependable, earning a spot each week without being a star (surprisingly injury-free, too). Simon Phillips: ah, therein lies a tale!

Josh Willoughby requested a trade from Glenelg to Norwood in the off-season for fairly obvious reasons. It was refused. After being an almost-automatic league selection last year, he's now in Siberia at the club and has played every single game in the 2s this year. (Not that Glenelg currently have any need to recall him: they're top.)

ugg
21st July 2008, 05:03 PM
Simon Phillips: ah, therein lies a tale!

oh cmon, you can't say that and not expand on it!

Willoughby requested a trade from Glenelg to Norwood in the off-season for fairly obvious reasons. It was refused. After being an almost-automatic league selection last year, he's now in Siberia at the club and has played every single game in the 2s this year. (Not that Glenelg currently have any need to recall him: they're top.)

Not obvious to me, obviously :confused: If they weren't going to play him, I think it's a little bit nasty to banish him to the reserves.

floppinab
21st July 2008, 05:40 PM
(Not that Glenelg currently have any need to recall him: they're top.)

Maybe not for long, after being done by the second bottom team on Sat., only their second loss this season, to the same team. (Where's cruiser......)

cruiser
21st July 2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe not for long, after being done by the second bottom team on Sat., only their second loss this season, to the same team. (Where's cruiser......) A surprising result to say the least, although I've not read (avoided) anything about the game yet. The game they were due to lose? They're still on top. :D

SimonH
22nd July 2008, 01:44 PM
oh cmon, you can't say that and not expand on it!The story has never been made public, and I have no secret insider knowledge. What is known (quasi-)publicly is that early in the season he suffered a hand injury that ruled him out for 8 to 10 weeks, at the time the club announcing that he "has hurt his hand in an off-field accident". The club warned him that he is on his last chance. The mind boggles.

Since returning about 6 weeks ago, it's been the same old Simon Phillips: Energiser bunny jumping around, great forwardline defensive pressure, good crumber, surprisingly good lead-and-mark for his size, and a grand total of 6 goals 13 behinds.

Not obvious to me, obviously If they weren't going to play him, I think it's a little bit nasty to banish him to the reserves.The 'obvious reasons' referred to his desire to transfer, not their desire to say 'nup'. I agree that if you're not going to play a bloke, you might as well let him go. Not that I've actually seen him this year, so I couldn't guarantee that his form hasn't gone backwards.

ugg
22nd July 2008, 01:58 PM
That what I was asking about. It wasn't obvious why he asked for a transfer. Is there something about Glenelg, being a non South Aussie, that I should know about?

SimonH
22nd July 2008, 03:57 PM
That what I was asking about. It wasn't obvious why he asked for a transfer. Is there something about Glenelg, being a non South Aussie, that I should know about?Ah, I'm with you now. No. Not anything about Glenelg. The reason that I thought was obvious (but clearly wasn't!) was that he wanted to play with his mates from the Swans.

ShockOfHair
22nd July 2008, 08:56 PM
(In fact, with the number of listed players likely to be available for the Swans 2nds' next Canberra game, Norwood may be able to lay more claim to being the Swans' reserves than the official team.)

Especially as they've been probably the prime source of 2nds regulars this year - Crouchie, Fossie and Grundy.

cruiser
27th July 2008, 09:30 AM
GLENELG 4.2 6.4 12.4 19.7 (121)
NORWOOD 0.2 3.4 6.6 11.10 (76)

BEST:
Glenelg: B. Kane, Grima, Fisher, Backwell, Holmes, Allen, Mules.
Norwood: Thomas, Gallagher, Phillips, Weatherald, Donohue.

SCORERS:
Glenelg: Grima 7.0, B. Kane 3.0, Fisher 2.1, Holmes 2.0, Horan 1.2, Backwell 1.1, Allen, Kirkby, Block 1.0, Duldig, Murphy 0.1, rushed 0.1.

Norwood: Walker 3.1, Phillips 2.2, Thomas, Aish 1.1, Donohue, Gallagher, Weatherald, Bartemucci 1.0, Puopolo 0.2, Cockshell, Davis 0.1, rushed 0.1.

INJURIES/REPORTS:
Glenelg: Bode (general soreness, left out of named side).
Norwood: Doyle (hamstring, left out of named side).

ShockOfHair
30th July 2008, 08:03 PM
Norwood: Doyle (hamstring, left out of named side).

The legend continues.

SimonH
4th August 2008, 10:55 PM
And again this week. Named in the side and then pulled out at the last minute with his hammie. Quelle surprise. And Norwood got done by 4 goals by arch-enemy Port Adelaide, partly because it got spanked in the hitouts 44:22 by one James Meiklejohn. (And partly because the Crows wouldn't goddamn recall Johncock.)

For the other ex-Swans, Phillips is really hitting his straps (2 goals and rotating through the middle), Smokey Davis serviceable, nothing from Rowe this week.