PDA

View Full Version : Today's TV Coverage in Sydney

Cheer Squad
20th July 2008, 09:53 AM
I've just noticed that today's game isn't being broadcast live on free-to-air in Sydney. Channel Seven is providing delayed coverage between 3-5pm, squeezed in between the V8 Supercar Challenge in Ipswich and a re-run of Benny Hill :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll have to pay Club Swans a visit to watch it live on the big screen.

thejones,s
20th July 2008, 10:03 AM
yea it sux bigtime...

ernie koala
20th July 2008, 11:49 AM
I also noticed that next weeks game, against the crows, is scheduled for saturday night, in direct competition on tv with the bedislow cup test match. At a time when the AFL are supposed to be building support for afl in the Sydney market. Gold star for the boffins down at AFL headquarters.:rolleyes:
The deal they have made with 7 and 10 defies all logic in regards to their expansion plans....ridiculous.

blinddog
20th July 2008, 12:00 PM
Channel 7 is a joke and I will sending my letter off to them and the AFL.

Glenn
20th July 2008, 12:02 PM
All the hot air out of AFL HQ about promoting the game in Sydney is just that, all the Western Sydney team do will bring in more revenue for the AFL.
Firstly the AFL plays second fiddle to the V8's, and then they go up against a Aust vs NZ Rugby Match...:eek:

humphrey bear
20th July 2008, 12:08 PM
I cant believe they still put the same game on both Foxtel and FTA.

Its a pity we have to miss the fights in the Showdown.

goswannie14
20th July 2008, 12:15 PM
I cant believe they still put the same game on both Foxtel and FTA.

Its a pity we have to miss the fights in the Showdown.It is part of the broadcast agreement that non-Victorian teams will have their games shown locally on FTA, whether or not they are to be shown on Foxtel.

humphrey bear
20th July 2008, 12:40 PM
It is part of the broadcast agreement that non-Victorian teams will have their games shown locally on FTA, whether or not they are to be shown on Foxtel.

Your right but I live in Brisbane and cop the Swans Carlton twice.

goswannie14
20th July 2008, 12:44 PM
Your right but I live in Brisbane and cop the Swans Carlton twice.I live in Victoria and I won't get to see it, so it evens out.;)

humphrey bear
20th July 2008, 12:46 PM
I live in Victoria and I won't get to see it, so it evens out.;)

That makes it even more absurd.

goswannie14
20th July 2008, 12:49 PM
That makes it even more absurd. I could go to the game. But as I start work at 5.30 I would have to leave at 3/4 time. So I'll have to listen to it on the radio.

EDIT: - Just found out, in Melb they are showing the Blues swans game. Those of us in country Vic get Crows Power game.:confused: :mad:

Damien
20th July 2008, 01:35 PM
I could go to the game. But as I start work at 5.30 I would have to leave at 3/4 time. So I'll have to listen to it on the radio.

EDIT: - Just found out, in Melb they are showing the Blues swans game. Those of us in country Vic get Crows Power game.:confused: :mad:

Melbourne are taking the Fox Sports Coverage on 7? That is the strangest thing I have ever heard of.

Strange decision, anyone with Foxtel will watch the Foxtel coverage over 7 because there aren't any ads.

goswannie14
20th July 2008, 01:37 PM
Melbourne are taking the Fox Sports Coverage on 7? That is the strangest thing I have ever heard of.

Strange decision, anyone with Foxtel will watch the Foxtel coverage over 7 because there aren't any ads.
If you are one of the 25% that have Foxtel.

That is according to yourtv.com.au

Damien
20th July 2008, 01:39 PM
If you are one of the 25% that have Foxtel.

That is according to yourtv.com.au

I think it is a stuff up, according to afl.com.au, 7 are showing the Showdown live in Melbourne from 3pm.

ugg
20th July 2008, 01:41 PM
*removed link*

Damien
20th July 2008, 01:42 PM
That is sensational Ugg ^ brilliant find.

goswannie14
20th July 2008, 02:08 PM
I guess I don't have the bandwidth, it is really jumpy and keeps pausing.

cruiser
20th July 2008, 05:25 PM
The good thing about it is that those of us who saw it live and stressful on Foxtel can now watch the last quarter or so in emotional comfort.

Damien
20th July 2008, 05:30 PM
The good thing about it is that those of us who saw it live and stressful on Foxtel can now watch the last quarter or so in emotional comfort.

Yes it is rather enjoyable watching the delayed version on 7!

Uhtred
20th July 2008, 06:23 PM
It is like watching commercial break with footy in between.... they didn't even show the full game... just highlight.... wat the *&^% is wrong with them... wouldnt it be better to show the game till 6pm... than the news...

hence why i stop watching stupid free-to-air.. channel... thanks god for torrent... now all i need is to get foxtel....for sports...

cruiser
20th July 2008, 06:24 PM
... now all i need is to get foxtel....for sports... Do it, you won't regret it.

BigD
20th July 2008, 06:48 PM
7,s telecast can be summed up in one word, @@@@!

connolly
20th July 2008, 06:57 PM
Disgraceful. Those arse clowns hammered the ads into a highlights package. Made a mental note not to spend the hard earned on any of their rubbish.

Damien
20th July 2008, 07:01 PM
I can personally live with it as I have Foxtel but 7 or anything other FTA network simply shouldn't be allowed to show a condensed version. It's one thing to delay coverage but another to not even show the game in full.

ugg
20th July 2008, 07:23 PM
The Benny Hill fans obviously have more pull than AFL fans.

reigning premier
20th July 2008, 08:32 PM
30 minute delay in Hong Kong....

Full game.. ;)

robbieando
20th July 2008, 09:43 PM
I also noticed that next weeks game, against the crows, is scheduled for saturday night, in direct competition on tv with the bedislow cup test match. At a time when the AFL are supposed to be building support for afl in the Sydney market. Gold star for the boffins down at AFL headquarters.:rolleyes:

Maybe. But your forgetting the fact that the ARU and SANZA made the Tri Nations Fixture AFTER the AFL released their Fixture and therefore this matchup has nothing to do with the AFL because they didn't know about the Bledislow Cup Date when they did their fixture so they could fixture around it and therefore aren't going to change it after that date is set because why should they be the ones to change.

Plus Channel 7 aren't showing the game next week into Sydney, Channel 10 are. So no big loss on that front.

As those sooking about today's match coverage in Sydney by Channel 7, well follow what most of you say to those in Melbourne who do the same most weeks - "Get Foxtel"

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Do it, you won't regret it.

QFT. I never watch anything else. Have my tv set onto Fox Sports News for background noise. Come in to watch stories I like then go back to being an internet hound when the golf comes back on.

JF

Rod_
20th July 2008, 10:59 PM
Very poor attempt at providing a telecast, seems they have lost the plot! (obviously paid too much for the rights and have to put in too many adds)

We lost time and the following of the ball was @@@@house!

Bring back channel 10

Rod_

robbieando
20th July 2008, 11:19 PM
Very poor attempt at providing a telecast, seems they have lost the plot! (obviously paid too much for the rights and have to put in too many adds)

We lost time and the following of the ball was @@@@house!

Bring back channel 10

Rod_

It was Fox Sport who provide the coverage, Channel 7 just showed a highlights package.

Mogg0
20th July 2008, 11:53 PM
It's a catch 22 though. We can boycott the coverage but that's EXACTLY the reason we're getting handed this half-arsed coverage. NOBODY'S watching.

I'm in Brisbane and had to cop the Swans game twice. Would have loved to have seen the Showdown, but sadly not.

The AFL demands so much money, why can't they set guidelines that state Brisbane and Sydney games must always be shown LIVE in their respective states? QLD viewers are guaranteed live Lions coverage, so why not Sydney?

Primmy
21st July 2008, 12:31 PM
I am lucky I have a friend with Foxtel, but I recorded the seven coverage anyway and had a look last night.

You have GOT to be kidding me! What on EARTH were they think of. Or do I have it wrong. The thinking part I mean.

One and a half minutes of adds between goals if the Swans scored. Full replay if Carlton scored. They cut about 20% of the game out.

Does Anyone out there have a meaningful address I can vent my spleen to at AFL headquarters and Channel Seven? I am in the mood for some vitriole.

Why on earth bid for the AFL if you can't be bothered with it! I mean, Benny Hill!!! Whattha!!

AnnieH
21st July 2008, 12:54 PM
I am lucky I have a friend with Foxtel, but I recorded the seven coverage anyway and had a look last night.

You have GOT to be kidding me! What on EARTH were they think of. Or do I have it wrong. The thinking part I mean.

One and a half minutes of adds between goals if the Swans scored. Full replay if Carlton scored. They cut about 20% of the game out.

Does Anyone out there have a meaningful address I can vent my spleen to at AFL headquarters and Channel Seven? I am in the mood for some vitriole.

Why on earth bid for the AFL if you can't be bothered with it! I mean, Benny Hill!!! Whattha!!

02 9877 7777
Ch7's phone number.
Mail C/- Ch7, Martin Place, Sydney.

It sucked. But it was better than nothing.

Primmy
21st July 2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks Annie, will get my english prose sorted, with high faluting expletives etc.

Just because some of us cannot get Foxtel (see block of units run by pensioners who cannot afford to get the infrastructure sorted out) we are held to ransom by seven. Makes me spit (ladylike though).

Danzar
22nd July 2008, 02:11 PM
They did the same last year so this is not new.

It's really frustrating.

What they do is:

1. Show only the scoring plays of the first quarter (or any major non-scoring plays).
2. Start from the beginning of Q2 but cut, after an ad break, non-scoring periods, effectively accelerating that quarter.
3. Same as Q2 but they cut less of the game. About 10% of the quarter.
4. Q4 play the full quarter without cutting time BUT play a four ad cycle after every second goal, instead of the usual one ad. This allows them to finish the cut down telecast of the game with the same amount of ads played as a full three hour telecast. The 'clock' does not stop while the ads are on so you miss the post-goal bounced and the first passge of play or two.

I aactually believe this could be called a breach of contract. It cannot be a broadcast if you have not shown the full game. No way.

Plus I wonder whether seven has exceeded the allowable number of ads for a two hour broadcast. It's up to a viewer to complain (to the regulatory body I think). The regulator must ask seven to supply details of the ad/program ratio and will be fined if it's exceeded.