PDA

View Full Version : Straight kicking -a lost art?

Hartijon
4th August 2008, 05:28 PM
It's not just the Swans! So many professional AFL players have unacceptable averages when kicking for goal. What's going wrong? There are 3 aspects to consider.1. The players confidence...if it's down he will miss.
2. Conditions on the day..is it wet,windy slippery?
3. The players technique
Number 1 and 3 are the two factors that can be controlled and it's up to the coach to get the players confidence up.
I wonder about technique . You can practise as much as you like,be as confident as you like but if your technique is wrong then it won't do much good. Do coaches video tape players and seriously work on their style? Do they drill them in controlling the ball on to the foot, following through with the kicking motion,keeping everything straight etc etc.Watching the Swans players who always miss,miss again on Saturday so many basic technical things seemed wrong. I remember that great sporting professional Greg Norman taking coaching at the height of his Career to improve his swing.I would suggest it would be in the club's best interests if a few Swans AFL players took coaching in kicking straight. Bring back Plugger as a coach! Use technology to analyse what they are doing wrong!

swantastic
4th August 2008, 05:45 PM
Its because they all want to look flash and kick a goal with a banana kick.If a lot of them straightened up then i think you will find a lot more goals will go through the big sticks.

Swanner
4th August 2008, 05:46 PM
Straight kicking from set shots is definitely a lost art. The swans though are doing much worse than ever before. When we started our run in 04/05 we were one of the best teams in the league now we are just middle of the road.

It is justa skill so you think they could practise and get better. I wonder with the lift in speed and intensity that more than ever atheletes are getting picked over pure footballers - Nick Davis the most obivous case -

Donners
4th August 2008, 05:47 PM
Bradshaw has 63.24, Fevola 80.40, Medhurst 47.20, Lloyd 51.14, Pavlich 63.33, Motlop 48.17, Richo 45.22, Riewoldt 42.24 - many of the regular forwards don't seem to have too much trouble, unlike Hall and O'Keefe.

connolly
4th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Bradshaw has 63.24, Fevola 80.40, Medhurst 47.20, Lloyd 51.14, Pavlich 63.33, Motlop 48.17, Richo 45.22, Riewoldt 42.24 - many of the regular forwards don't seem to have too much trouble, unlike Hall and O'Keefe.

Don't think some of those comparisons mean much. Most of them play regularly in a weather protected stadium. We don't.

bloodboy
4th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Man, I am glad Buddy ain't too accurate...imagine if he was...! They would be unstoppable!!!!!!

Nico
4th August 2008, 07:23 PM
As I said in another thread yesterday, watch how they run in and where they are aiming. It is usually at an angle to the goal, heading right for the middle of the points, or as it seems mesmerised by a goalpost and the ball fades at the last second.

Watch Nick Davis, he runs in a straight line to the middle of the goals, drops the ball directly over his foot and kicks straight through the ball.

Fevola holds the ball differently but drops it dead straight, and he holds it the way he does because it controls the ball straight down, much like you teach a kid at Auskick to drop the ball off one hand over his kicking leg to prevent the bad habit of swinging the ball from side to side in 2 hands.

There were some top goals from an angle in games this week but we can't kick them for nuts.

NMWBloods
4th August 2008, 08:02 PM
Don't think some of those comparisons mean much. Most of them play regularly in a weather protected stadium. We don't.Excluding TD, Medhurst is still 41.19 (68% cf 70%), Richo is down to 26.17 (60% cf 67%), Lloyd is much the same at 32.9 (78% cf 78%) while Fevola is actually better at 58.26 (69% cf 67%). Riewoldt is worse, down to 16.12 (58% cf 67%).

So, with the exception of Richo and Riewoldt, the lowest two on the list, the comparisons are perfectly valid (and even those two are miles ahead of Hall and ROK).

Seagoon
4th August 2008, 09:04 PM
How far can a footy player kick a torpedo punt? Id love to see a few more in the game, just for the specticle.... I know they are inaccurate as all buggery...

sprite
4th August 2008, 09:59 PM
How far can a footy player kick a torpedo punt? Id love to see a few more in the game, just for the specticle.... I know they are inaccurate as all buggery...

What, what, what - a torp.... Neddy you poor delusional fellow, as Grytpype Thynne would say:D

reigning premier
4th August 2008, 10:21 PM

I like the cut of your jib young man.

I too would like to see more torpedoes used in regular game play. I'd also like to see the return of the drop kick and lace up jumpers but one thing at a time.

The AFL should do more to encourage the use of the torpedo. Perhaps a minimum quota per team, per qtr is the answer. They could get that useless old @@@@ they station at the interchange to keep count. God knows he's doing @@@@ all else.

sprite
4th August 2008, 10:27 PM
I like the cut of your jib young man.

I too would like to see more torpedoes used in regular game play. I'd also like to see the return of the drop kick and lace up jumpers but one thing at a time.

The AFL should do more to encourage the use of the torpedo. Perhaps a minimum quota per team, per qtr is the answer. They could get that useless old @@@@ they station at the interchange to keep count. God knows he's doing @@@@ all else.

Ah and one field umpire too, plus long coats for goal umpires.

But most importantly - Saturday afternoon footy

reigning premier
4th August 2008, 10:32 PM
Ah and one field umpire too, plus long coats for goal umpires.

But most importantly - Saturday afternoon footy

And two drink minimums (per quarter) in the outer.....

sprite
4th August 2008, 10:45 PM

As long as you can get tinnies

dendol
4th August 2008, 10:48 PM
the last time that rule was enforced on me, we won by 118 points against the rabble that is still richmond. We kicked pretty straight that game, but then again, it was under the TD roof.

reigning premier
4th August 2008, 10:57 PM
As long as you can get tinnies

Melbourne bitter in Melbourne...

KB at all home games.

None of that fancy ring pull crap either. Have to use a real can opener. Otherwise you might as well be drinking light beer IMO.

sprite
4th August 2008, 11:00 PM
Melbourne bitter in Melbourne...

KB at all home games.

None of that fancy ring pull crap either. Have to use a real can opener. Otherwise you might as well be drinking light beer IMO.

Big cans?

reigning premier
4th August 2008, 11:00 PM
the last time that rule was enforced on me, we won by 118 points against the rabble that is still richmond. We kicked pretty straight that game, but then again, it was under the TD roof.

Ah the memories... Sat next to my best mate who's a Tiggers supporter at that game.... He was pretty cocky over a few beers before the game too IIRC.... Still love dropping that one into every conversation I've had with him since.....

reigning premier
4th August 2008, 11:02 PM
Big cans?

You'd be a downright homosexual if you're caught drinking anything else!!!

sprite
4th August 2008, 11:03 PM
You'd be a downright homosexual if you're caught drinking anything else!!!

Gold;)

Seagoon
10th August 2008, 10:26 PM
What, what, what - a torp.... Neddy you poor delusional fellow, as Grytpype Thynne would say:D
Hahahaha. Yes, im very fast you know, i can cover 10 square yards standing still!!