PDA

View Full Version : So who's in, who's out...

JudesaGun
4th August 2008, 11:38 PM
Assuming everyone is healthy come finals time... who makes our top 22 to give us a crack at the flag this year.

It's tougher than I thought actually...

Here's mine:

BACKS
P.Bevan L.Barry M.Mattner
N.Malceski C.Bolton T.Kennelly

Very solid back six there. LRT and Richards only strengthen the options we have. All are flexible players and can play on multiple types of players. Bolton is in AA form. Bevan has shown great improvement and is our no.1 small defensive stopper. If Kennelly, Mattner and Malceski can kick into gear, the whole team will be transformed. When Sydney are up and about it's the backs who have traditionally provided the run and drive. We need these three firing.

CENTRES
K.Jack J.Bolton J.McVeigh

Lots of speed and agility along the centre. Bird and Ablett are solid rotating options off the bench. McVeigh, Jack and Ablett are proven taggers. McVeigh has also shown the potential to go forward and kick goals. He'll need some support from Goodes and Jack in that department if we're to kick more winning scores.

FORWARDS
J.Moore B.Hall R.O'Keefe
T.Richards M.O'Loughln P.Veszpremi

Richards is down there to add some height and marking options. I was going to put Brennan in FP and slot Richards back into defence but I couldn't justify dropping guys like Bird or Vesz who I think add more to the team. Hall showed signs on the weekend, and we can not afford for him to be off his game. O'Keefe is an AA lock and can play up the field. Micky O was in career best form before his injury. I think him and Vesz will be a great combo closer to goal. If there's one area I think we've consistently fallen down in in recent years it's our crumbing options up forward. Micky O has lacked that support that Schnieder once provided. While Vesz has only played one game, we do not have any other small forward options at this stage - I think he's the 2-3 goal a game player we need.

RUCKS
D.Jolly B.Kirk A.Goodes

Kirk and Jolly have had great seasons. Goodes is the X-factor (as long as gets healthy). Once again, lots of other midfield options on bench and in other positions on field.

BENCH
C.Bird Ablett LRT Currie

Run and height are what you need on the bench. Currie hasn't played a game but he couldn't give any less than Spider at the moment.

EMG
R.Brabazon P.Everitt J.Crouch/A.Buchanan Brennan/Playfair

Brabazon had a great game on the weekend but there are still other midfielders ahead of him. Buchanan I'm really not sure about. He's shown a bit but has been very onconsistent this year. Could sequeeze into the best 22 but who would miss?? Everitt looks slow and tired and is not offering anything around the ground or down forward. Crouch could come in for Vesz due to his experience come September and his ability to shut down the oppositions small forward. But I think Bevan fills that spot more than adequately now and I'd rather have some more goal kicking options in the team then another injury-prone tagger. Brennan showed his marking ability and hardness on the weekend but his poor kicking skills only weigh down a team that has struggled in that area all year, especially when it comes to set shots at goal. The same could be said for Playfair. He does a lot of the little things well but in many ways is still a liability. He's not a proven goal kicker and does not appear to have that potential to turn a game. More of a solid option who can fulfill a role, but don't we have enough of those types?

What do yu think? Who's your ins and outs?

NMWBloods
5th August 2008, 12:10 AM
Mattner is just wasted in the back pocket. I'd rather Richards go to the BP, Mattner up to the wing, and either Jack or Bevan in the FP.

I think we'd get far better value from Everitt than Currie in finals.

I also think we'd get far better value from Crouch/Buchanan/Brennan/Playfair/Grundy than Ablett/LRT.

ScottH
5th August 2008, 07:26 AM
Swap McVeigh and Moore.
I reckon McVeigh is much moore dangerous closer to goal, as proved on Sunday.
Where as Moore has the moore penetrating kick into the F50.

Fosdike would have to close to inclusion on the bench.

dendol
5th August 2008, 08:00 AM
Swap McVeigh and Moore.

Fosdike would have to close to inclusion on the bench.
True, but Moore's been up front because he really hasn't got the engine to play anything but smallish bursts in the middle. He could rotate with McVeigh and Buchanan up front though

ScottH
5th August 2008, 08:36 AM
True, but Moore's been up front because he really hasn't got the engine to play anything but smallish bursts in the middle. He could rotate with McVeigh and Buchanan up front though

Yeh, I've stated that before about Moore's engine, but McVeighs kicks into the F50 aren't all that great.
Rotating the 3 through there would be a good option.

johnno
5th August 2008, 09:53 AM
Apparently, acording to todays "THE AGE" newspaper, both Goodes and Leo Barry are set to return this weekend against Freo. Thats all well and good but who gets dropped. If they drop either Veszpremi, Brennan or Brabazon, then in my opinion they have lost the plot. Those 3 boys played their hearts out on the weekend. I tell you, I have lost patience with Luke Ablett, he needed to be dropped a long time ago, he hasent done much for a long time. Ablett and possibly LRT(Lurch) need to make way for both Barry and Goodes in my opinion.

Jeffers1984
5th August 2008, 10:01 AM
Apparently, acording to todays "THE AGE" newspaper, both Goodes and Leo Barry are set to return this weekend against Freo. Thats all well and good but who gets dropped. If they drop either Veszpremi, Brennan or Brabazon, then in my opinion they have lost the plot. Those 3 boys played their hearts out on the weekend. I tell you, I have lost patience with Luke Ablett, he needed to be dropped a long time ago, he hasent done much for a long time. Ablett and possibly LRT(Lurch) need to make way for both Barry and Goodes in my opinion.

Jdubb and Brennan to be dropped. If Moore is due back then perhaps Braba may get the flick which i hope he doesn't. (agree with you re: ablett).

5th August 2008, 10:28 AM
Like the side JudesAGun.

Right now though Noggys treading a fine line.
Though would like his experience in finals and some of his old form.
One Nic Fosdike might put some pressure on his spot over the next month

Agree with Spida though he gone and would rather LRT backing up Jolly
in finals as well , unless Currie/White can show us something of any quality over the next 4 weeks.
We cannot afford to carry Spida any longer now.

Also really hope Vespa stays healthy and can keep a Monty out, though Montys hardness in finals would be of some help

Luke Brennan is our wildcard at the moment because of his flexibility.

So right now if Finals were here from your side.

In : Brennan Crouch
Out : Everitt Currie

stellation
5th August 2008, 11:15 AM
Swap McVeigh and Moore.

McVeigh's greatest strength has always been that he is an elite runner, I don't think the same can be said for Moore.

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2008, 11:18 AM
I think Ablett is suffering from having to play quite a different role with Goodes playing injured and no Buchanan. This has changed our midfield set up a lot.
Prior to the last couple of games I would have put Ablett in our top 10ish or thereabouts.

NMWBloods
5th August 2008, 11:25 AM
Half way through the last quarter Ablett had had 5 possessions for the game. He is symptomatic of the problems with the team - too defensive, doesn't get enough of the ball, average disposal at best.

Swanner
5th August 2008, 11:27 AM
IN: Goodes, Barry, Malceski
Out: White, Ablett, LRT or Spida (LRT to ruck if Spider out)

When O'Louglin returns Grundy should go out.

Hartijon
5th August 2008, 11:57 AM
Crouch really gave us something on Saturday and should be in the final 22. He centred the play ,ran down the guts and kicked long..something we have been really missing. fosdike is also good at this but can he get form quick enough. Ves was great but still has a big learning curve. Needed to come in earlier in my opinion to warrant finals selection.

stellation
5th August 2008, 12:07 PM
I don't understand the displeasure with Everitt, I haven't looked at the stats but I thought his ruckwork was good?

Plugger46
5th August 2008, 12:14 PM
Spida's hardly setting the world on fire but I wouldn't be dropping him for an inexperienced ruckman on the eve of finals.

I'm not convinced Ablett and LRT in our best 22 but I'd be pretty surprised if either were dropped.

Would like to see Mattner used more on the wing. The defensive side of his game isn't all that strong and we don't use his run enough.

Donners
5th August 2008, 12:24 PM
I don't understand the displeasure with Everitt, I haven't looked at the stats but I thought his ruckwork was good?

Five hitouts? Slow, unfit and irrelevant.

Swanner
5th August 2008, 01:00 PM
Crouch had a great game and should definitley be in the final 22 - more than did enough.

AnnieH
5th August 2008, 01:00 PM

Still, come finals time, I'd prefer his experience.

stellation
5th August 2008, 01:37 PM
I hadn't looked at the stats and I must admit that his low numbers suprised me, but I still didn't think he was woeful. I don't think we could guarantee that Currie would walk in and get 5 HOs.

johnno
5th August 2008, 01:53 PM
Crouch was fantastic. He's been out of the side for such a long time, I forgot how good he was.

ScottH
5th August 2008, 02:31 PM
McVeigh's greatest strength has always been that he is an elite runner, I don't think the same can be said for Moore.

I know, but I might have to retract that, as I just watched the first half of Sundays game, and McV was magnificent, in the 1st Q especially.

It is the kicking to a leading player, where I like Moore better than McV, thus the original comment. Whereas McV has proved himself a regular goal kicker this year.

liz
5th August 2008, 02:35 PM
I reckon with Crouch we need to wait and see. His body has let him down several times over the last couple of years. He looked fresh as a daisy on Sunday afternoon and his pace through the middle was a breath of fresh air. But as players get older, they find it harder to get up week after week. He may or may not be able to reproduce that level of performance for the rest of the season.

And whether he is able to or not will surely go most of the way towards determining whether he puts his hand to play on again next year.

dimelb
5th August 2008, 03:13 PM
I reckon with Crouch we need to wait and see. His body has let him down several times over the last couple of years. He looked fresh as a daisy on Sunday afternoon and his pace through the middle was a breath of fresh air. But as players get older, they find it harder to get up week after week. He may or may not be able to reproduce that level of performance for the rest of the season.

And whether he is able to or not will surely go most of the way towards determining whether he puts his hand to play on again next year.
True that time will tell, but on Sunday's form he is a better proposition than our supposed running players - Tadhg (carrying something other than his shoulders, surely), Malceski (the longer he goes without game time the more reluctant I'd be to bring him in at finals) and Marty (although I'd keep him in).

stellation
5th August 2008, 05:14 PM
I know, but I might have to retract that, as I just watched the first half of Sundays game, and McV was magnificent, in the 1st Q especially.

It is the kicking to a leading player, where I like Moore better than McV, thus the original comment. Whereas McV has proved himself a regular goal kicker this year.
It's a very valid point, and I completely agree- I think Moore's delivery inside 50 is already close to the best in the team. I'm just thinking of how to get the better value, one of the blights on Davo's game has always been an inability to get to enough stoppage, with McVeigh I think he is close to the opposite and can just about get to every stoppage in a game and I think that is really one of his biggest strengths along the wing. I think he actually is starting to read the play along the wing extremely well too, being paid respect by your direct opponent or not it isn't a fluke to get open on the wing as frequently as he does through a game.

smasher
5th August 2008, 05:26 PM
I think McVeigh's day of getting lattitude are over.He'll be heavily tagged from now on I would think.

NMWBloods
5th August 2008, 05:43 PM
I think McVeigh's day of getting lattitude are over.He'll be heavily tagged from now on I would think.
Yep and then he'll face a massive new challenge.

5th August 2008, 06:54 PM
Yep and then he'll face a massive new challenge.

Love your positive outlook on Macca again Bloods;)

swansrule100
5th August 2008, 07:29 PM
id go for a back 6 of

Barry, C.Bolton, Richards, Kennelly Malceski, Goodes (trying to free him up to roam, not make him an accountable chb)

Id like mattner on the wing, he gets lost too far back and he has the ability to create play.

Bird on the other wing as he is a good reader of the play, but only young so try and keep him free

Kirk in the guts where he belongs

Up forward

okeefe- why is he down in defence when we cant kick goals
hall
bevan- where he does his best work imho
magic
mcveigh- but pushing into the midfield, try to keep the expected tag off.
barlow- tall, marks well, kicks pretty well, attacks, belongs in the side

then following division of jolly obviously
j.bolton
jack

bench would be grundy- who i like in defence, but needs a set spot one way or the other

moore- if he keeps fit id rather go with young guy

everitt- cant throw the young rucks to the wolves

then i see one spot free for left over midfielders, which could be crouch maybe fosdike if he gets fit, i think fosdike would be ideal, but will he be right to go

Players like LRT and playfair etc wouldnt waste my time with.

Some minor points, i want goodes and mcveigh to avoid tags but want them roaming around creating play. I want barlow to be drifting down as he is one of the few who look to go long into the forward line.

I want to see quick delivery forward and capitalise on the fact Hall is still a decent mark one out as is magic.

Id also like to see an end to drifters, like grundy, some of our players are lost on the field.

NMWBloods
5th August 2008, 09:19 PM
Love your positive outlook on Macca again Bloods;)
I love the twisting of meaning!

:p :eek:

smasher
6th August 2008, 07:06 AM
I was checking some stats and came up with the following inside 50's deliveries:
ROK 81
Bolton J 67
Moore 64
We do have some players who should have higher numbers coming out of the midfielders.

ScottH
6th August 2008, 07:46 AM
It's a very valid point, and I completely agree- I think Moore's delivery inside 50 is already close to the best in the team. I'm just thinking of how to get the better value, one of the blights on Davo's game has always been an inability to get to enough stoppage, with McVeigh I think he is close to the opposite and can just about get to every stoppage in a game and I think that is really one of his biggest strengths along the wing. I think he actually is starting to read the play along the wing extremely well too, being paid respect by your direct opponent or not it isn't a fluke to get open on the wing as frequently as he does through a game.

I've now seen the whole game (don't you love carers leave). And McV was everywhere.
His tank is his greatest asset, and he is showing a bit more flair, 2 of his goals were handball receives flying out of the centre square, where as a lot of them in the past have been from 10 metres out.
I think it is his I50's under pressure that are a bit dodgy, more than not under pressure, but they can be dodgy too. But hey, so can the rest of the 18 out there.

ScottH
6th August 2008, 07:53 AM
Not sure who or where, but someone said White was just embarrassing.
I think that is rather harsh.
At least 4 of his leads were reward with a ball at his toes.
Another marking opporunity, was outdone by Brennan's specky, although Hall, had front spot and would possibly have taken it anyway.
2 kicks were intercepted.
But for a 2nd gamer, who is probably feeling the heat to perform, I didn't feel embarrassing was a fair term to be used for his game.
He just had one of those days were everything ge tried turned to crap. I'd like to see him after he's had several games in a row, before we start judging him too harshly.
But with the immenent returns of a couple of key players, I feel he may be one of the outs.

Primmy
7th August 2008, 11:11 AM
Ladies and gennelmen, I have indeed enjoyed this thread. Considered and intelligent. Never thought I would say that.

My thoughts are that Jesse is a confident young bloke who everyone seems to have a big opinion of, but perhaps the weight of expectation may be a bit much at present, and perhaps this pressure is getting to him, trying to live up to expectation. He is much younger than he looks.

Vespa will do just fine. Not all at once, but over a bit of given time. Same with Braba.

Moore's ability to stay on his feet in a contest can't be denied. He has the potential to be a great crumbing forward. Maybe not a great tank, but a great improvement on last year, and he is still only a kid. Time is required. Even Cressa had to take himself off to camp in the off season to learn how to run properly!

Now, if we could only kick straight! What's happening with the kicking! Is Davo doing anything at present? Could he do a bit of coaching -- AHHA! I may have the Answer. HAS Davo been doing the coaching! Plot thickens.