PDA

View Full Version : The Malceski Situation

ShockOfHair
8th August 2008, 02:47 AM
I make it five weeks in a row that Melcho has been named as emergency.

What kind of calf injury is that?

sharp9
8th August 2008, 08:40 AM
Actually it's the second week...the first three he didn't come up. It's the kind of calf injury that keeps a plyer out of form and full fitness, hence he is playing in the twos this week.

Primmy
8th August 2008, 09:11 AM
Actually it's the second week...the first three he didn't come up. It's the kind of calf injury that keeps a plyer out of form and full fitness, hence he is playing in the twos this week.

Awww, I miss Mal. He's playing Ressies this week, so get a chance to watch him run the lines.

Aren't some of the longest "hanging around" injuries to past players been calf? Seems almost more contigous than the hammy!

ShockOfHair
8th August 2008, 01:13 PM
That makes sense, seems like he's getting match fitness.

swantastic
8th August 2008, 05:08 PM
We really need Melcho back fit and firing,but i reckon the Swans are not telling us the whole truth about his knee operation.

sfan
8th August 2008, 05:09 PM
I heard he had some more work on his knee in the break and he has not played since. Could be a coincidence??

swantastic
8th August 2008, 05:13 PM
I heard he had some more work on his knee in the break and he has not played since. Could be a coincidence??Coincidence i dont think so it has to be his knee for sure bugger this crap about a calf injury.

It's just the club telling its supporters bull@@@@ and we are the people who keep them going.:mad:

royboy42
8th August 2008, 05:28 PM
Coincidence i dont think so it has to be his knee for sure bugger this crap about a calf injury.

It's just the club telling its supporters bull@@@@ and we are the people who keep them going.:mad:

Any foundation for that ?

CJK
8th August 2008, 05:57 PM

It's written on the interwebs. Must be true.

swantastic
8th August 2008, 06:01 PM
Any foundation for that ?Nope just female intuition.

Triple B
8th August 2008, 06:09 PM
Coincidence i dont think so it has to be his knee for sure bugger this crap about a calf injury.

Sometimes people get reliable information, but they are not at liberty to broadcast it all over the internet because they'll break the trust/confidence of their source.

Just maybe Swantastic knows somebody, a trainer at the club perhaps, who has confided to him that Eski is having problems with his knee, ongoing inflamation around the synthetic ligament perhaps, it appears his body is not liking the 'foreign' body in his knee perhaps and there is a real concern that he may need to undergo the full reco, perhaps.

Perhaps.

swantastic
8th August 2008, 06:12 PM
Sometimes people get reliable information, but they are not at liberty to broadcast it all over the internet because they'll break the trust/confidence of their source.

Just maybe Swantastic knows somebody, a trainer at the club perhaps, who has confided to him that Eski is having problems with his knee, ongoing inflamation around the synthetic ligament perhaps, it appears his body is not liking the 'foreign' body in his knee perhaps and there is a real concern that he may need to undergo the full reco, perhaps.

Perhaps.Couldnt have said it better my self.;)

jono2707
8th August 2008, 06:20 PM
I think its worthwhile to also remember that there are people who stand to gain quite a lot from the success of this sort of revolutionary surgery i.e. the doctors who use this new technique. Basically at the time the knee was done, if it was successful the P.R. gained from the operation would make it a very lucrative business for those practitioners using the technique. However if it fails and Malceski needs another op, suddenly the 'miracle cure' become useless and its back to square one for everybody.

I'm not inferring a conspiracy or anything, but if there is a problem with the knee maybe all concerned have deemed it is better to try to cover up the real reasons behind it???

ScottH
8th August 2008, 06:28 PM
I make it five weeks in a row that Melcho has been named as emergency.

What kind of calf injury is that?

Not really, he has been name in the team, but a late replacement

2008 Emergency Lists - RedAndWhiteOnline.com Messageboard (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24539)

sidswan
8th August 2008, 06:47 PM
Whatever the problem is, its a real shame, he is greatly missed and it must be extremely frustrating for him.

Dogzbody
8th August 2008, 08:02 PM
I miss the thumping left boot shot at goal from a hand off just outside 50:frown

liz
8th August 2008, 08:28 PM
I think its worthwhile to also remember that there are people who stand to gain quite a lot from the success of this sort of revolutionary surgery i.e. the doctors who use this new technique. Basically at the time the knee was done, if it was successful the P.R. gained from the operation would make it a very lucrative business for those practitioners using the technique. However if it fails and Malceski needs another op, suddenly the 'miracle cure' become useless and its back to square one for everybody.

I'm not inferring a conspiracy or anything, but if there is a problem with the knee maybe all concerned have deemed it is better to try to cover up the real reasons behind it???

Not really. The more balanced press (and that which appears to have some research behind it) indicates that while this operation is new to Australia, it's a technique that has been used for many years in Europe, including amongst sportsmen, with good rates of success.

Sure, it hasn't been used for as long as more conventional techniques, so there is little or no reliable data on long term impact. And it is possible that the stresses placed on a knee from elite AFL footy are different to those from other sports, especially soccer, where it's been used in Europe.

But the success or otherwise of Malceski's injury will neither prove nor disprove the approach to be useless, anymore than the handful of players who have complications with the traditional approach prove or disprove that approach to be useless.

NMWBloods
8th August 2008, 08:35 PM
Dr Larkins made a comment a few weeks ago that he understood that Malceski was having trouble with his knee.

royboy42
8th August 2008, 08:38 PM
So female intuition, someone who may or may not know a trainer with inside info or just a wild guess? I'll go with the calf..after all, who knows what I know?

R&WtilIDie
8th August 2008, 08:43 PM

Perhaps.

or swantastic is full of poo.

swantastic
8th August 2008, 08:49 PM
Not really. The more balanced press (and that which appears to have some research behind it) indicates that while this operation is new to Australia, it's a technique that has been used for many years in Europe, including amongst sportsmen, with good rates of success.

Sure, it hasn't been used for as long as more conventional techniques, so there is little or no reliable data on long term impact. And it is possible that the stresses placed on a knee from elite AFL footy are different to those from other sports, especially soccer, where it's been used in Europe.

But the success or otherwise of Malceski's injury will neither prove nor disprove the approach to be useless, anymore than the handful of players who have complications with the traditional approach prove or disprove that approach to be useless.I watch a lot of Soccer from Europe and some of the injuries that they come back from so quickly amaze me.The stress on Elite AFL players and soccer players is different but not much.They get a lot more ankle and calf injuries IMO than AFL players and are about on par with the knee injuries.

The whole AFL world is watching Melcho very closely,and if it does prove very successful mark my words every AFL will go this way.

If it does prove a failure no AFL clubs will take it on board.

So it will prove over all to the AFL world it is either a success or failure.

Legs Akimbo
8th August 2008, 08:56 PM
I watch a lot of Soccer from Europe and some of the injuries that they come back from so quickly amaze me.The stress on Elite AFL players and soccer players is different but not much.They get a lot more ankle and calf injuries IMO than AFL players and are about on par with the knee injuries.

The whole AFL world is watching Melcho very closely,and if it does prove very successful mark my words every AFL will go this way.

If it does prove a failure no AFL clubs will take it on board.

So it will prove over all to the AFL world it is either a success or failure.

What if the results are inconclusive?

Mattyt
8th August 2008, 09:17 PM
For what it's worth, in the game against the Saints at the SCG, late in the last quarter I saw Robert Harvey drop his knee into Melchos knee as they were about to contest a ball up, Melcho came straight off from what I remember, and that was what seemed to be the beginning of an injury plaguing him.

Did anyone else see the incident I'm talking about?

Lohengrin
8th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Was that the same incident where Mother Theresa kicked a puppy?

Mattyt
8th August 2008, 09:47 PM
Different, still can't belive the bitch got off either, the MRP is a disgrace

Seagoon
8th August 2008, 10:46 PM
I must admitt that I have been a bit skeptical about the calf injury, and thought that it may have been the knee. But that was just what I suspected and I don;t have any facts to support it.

Primmy
9th August 2008, 08:32 AM
I must admitt that I have been a bit skeptical about the calf injury, and thought that it may have been the knee. But that was just what I suspected and I don;t have any facts to support it.

What has "facts" got to do with it. :D We are experts, we are! We know whats going on.

connolly
9th August 2008, 07:54 PM

You have got into the swing of things really quickly. Facts never get in the way of a good (Roos) conspiracy on RWO.

thedoc
10th August 2008, 01:32 AM
You have got into the swing of things really quickly. Facts never get in the way of a good (Roos) conspiracy on RWO.

the eski looked pretty good this arvo in the ressies. looking forward to anti-roos views....

Old Royboy
10th August 2008, 01:40 AM
Well, Mocca did not know what hit him this aternoon. He kicked five snags, mainly beause some hobbling crock kept hitting him lace out with 50 metre bullets. Eski close to BOG in the ressies - provided he pulled up OK, mark down at least one change for next week. Malceski IN.