PDA

View Full Version : Leftie Magic

Seagoon
8th August 2008, 10:55 PM
One interesting thing about the swans is the prevailance of left-footers. Im not sure what the exact numbers of left vs right footers is in the general population, but as far as cricket goes anyhow, lefties are out-numbered by 5 to one often. But not in the Swannies.

In cricket, they often have an advantage of being a bit different and so causing the opposition a bit of grief. Im not sure if its so critical in football games as cricket though. It is for the left and right forwards who are kicking for goal though - but the rest?

ROK Lobster
8th August 2008, 11:14 PM
One interesting thing about the swans is the prevailance of left-footers. Im not sure what the exact numbers of left vs right footers is in the general population, but as far as cricket goes anyhow, lefties are out-numbered by 5 to one often. But not in the Swannies.

In cricket, they often have an advantage of being a bit different and so causing the opposition a bit of grief. Im not sure if its so critical in football games as cricket though. It is for the left and right forwards who are kicking for goal though - but the rest?It's not late November is it?

swansrule100
8th August 2008, 11:29 PM
the interesting thing is about 15 of the 22 for tomorrow cant kick well at all

dendol
8th August 2008, 11:52 PM
lefties get a big advantage in perth when the fremantle doc comes in the arvo. you'll notice some footballers shine one side of the footy as theyre running and bouncing, that helps the late reverse swing for guys like buddy franklin.

Cheer Squad
9th August 2008, 12:03 AM
the interesting thing is about 15 of the 22 for tomorrow cant kick well at all

:rolleyes:

swantastic
9th August 2008, 12:48 AM
Left footers are meant to be the best kicks,but it hasnt helped us.

ShockOfHair
9th August 2008, 12:58 PM
Maybe they're actually right-footers but haven't noticed it yet.

Triple B
9th August 2008, 01:02 PM
The left footers who are one sided are VERY one sided eg. Leaping, Lucas.

I'm struggling to think of a right footer who stands out as bad on their left as some of the lefties struggle on their right.

hammo
9th August 2008, 01:22 PM

I'm struggling to think of a right footer who stands out as bad on their left as some of the lefties struggle on their right.

Yes, ROK proved last week he has no right foot.

Claret
9th August 2008, 03:40 PM

The theory behind this is that as juniors the left footers are rarely forced onto their right foot, however right footers are often forced to run around onto their left boots. The lefties just aren't forced to be good at it until they're well enough known and by that stage it's too late.

swantastic
9th August 2008, 03:59 PM
The theory behind this is that as juniors the left footers are rarely forced onto their right foot, however right footers are often forced to run around onto their left boots. The lefties just aren't forced to be good at it until they're well enough known and by that stage it's too late.I wouldn't say that because no matter if your a left or right footer if you force some one the opposite way you tend to throw them out a bit.
As a left footer i tend to hook the ball a lot when i kick where as a right footer kicks through the ball straight.
I tended to favour the left but i often passed with the right.

This seems strange but when i played soccer i preferred to use my right for passing most of the time but used my left for the long balls.

reigning premier
9th August 2008, 06:41 PM
lefties get a big advantage in perth when the fremantle doc comes in the arvo. you'll notice some footballers shine one side of the footy as theyre running and bouncing, that helps the late reverse swing for guys like buddy franklin.

And then they change ends and it's all over... :D

satchmopugdog
9th August 2008, 06:53 PM
Hawforn have the greatest percentage of lefties