PDA

View Full Version : Reserves v Queanbeyan

ugg
9th August 2008, 03:37 AM
Side named, no Noggy. Terlich and Malceski return from injury, White and Brabazon from the seniors. Some familiar names amongst the top ups. I expect an easy victory.

Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans > News Article > Round 17 side named for Swans Reserves (http://sydneyswans.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=65116)

Pace To Burn
9th August 2008, 11:55 AM
Wouldnt expect it all their own way, Queenbeyan are a fair side on their day, knocked off Belconnen a couple of weeks ago.

hammo
9th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Fossie will tear them up

ugg
9th August 2008, 04:55 PM
both eski and braba are playing. No sign of noggy

Queanbeyan goal first

ugg
9th August 2008, 05:07 PM
Barlow 2 quick goals

Swans 2.2 tigers 1.1

Fos MOD braba Mathews smith midfield
White Bruce forward
Murphy Faulks back

ugg
9th August 2008, 05:22 PM
Currie goal right in front.
Tigers reply with 1.
MattyO goal after good teamwork.
Murphy caught HTB tigers goal 45m out from fk
White misses set shot on tight angle

Qtr time
Swans 4.3 (27) tigers 3.3 (21)

Mod and smith good murphy too save for the HTB. Faulks has a tough time at FB against #26

ugg
9th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Tigers clever snap in right forward pocket
Swans #38 goal (not Meredith I don't think) after smart hb by Terlich.

Swans 5.4 tigers 4.5
15min 2Q

ugg
9th August 2008, 05:46 PM
White takes boundary TI uncontested and kicks easy goal 15m out

Eski doing a lot of running off HB and improving as the match progresses. Just as I type this he sets up #45 (potter) 45m out.

Swans 7.4 tigers 4.5

Orreal crumbs beautifully and goals around the corner. His cheersquad strangely quiet
Swans 8.4 tigers 4.5

ugg
9th August 2008, 05:54 PM
Tigers #26 strong grab 20m out. Goals
Tigers #10 does a carbon copy

Swans 8.4 52
Tigers 6.6 42

ugg
9th August 2008, 06:00 PM
currie infringed against in marking contest. Goals 45m out 45 angle

White set shot on siren 50m out. Goals

Half time
Swans 10.4 64
Tigers 6.6 42

Eski really got going in that qtr playing a kick behind play and setting up the attacks. White & terlich working well up forward

ugg
9th August 2008, 06:28 PM
White goals in the first minute. Barlow assist

Eski beautiful pass #51 messes up but recovers and terlich goals right in front

Fosdike weighted kick to JW's advantage. Mark and goal 25m no angle.

Eski on fire sets up beckmans who missed.

Tigers ruckman #23 great pack mark and kicks the goal 40 m out

Swans 13.8
Tigers 7.7

14m 3Q

ugg
9th August 2008, 06:43 PM
Tigers #18 goal amongst many behinds

Swans breaking down across half forward while eski rests

Swans 13.10 88
Tigers 8.13 61

3Quarter time

Brabazon not sighted in 2nd half. Late change coming up?

Davo sighting: on crutches

satchmopugdog
9th August 2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the updates ...sounds promising on a lot of levels

reigning premier
9th August 2008, 07:03 PM
Davo sighting: on crutches

Still a chance for selection then... Davo on crutches is still better than LRT... :D

ugg
9th August 2008, 07:03 PM
beckmans mark and goal from the boundary
Terlich goal
Swans turnover under pressure tigers quick snap goal
Terlich mark and goal, same spot as Beckmans
Barlow a dead eye dick 30m out n angle never looked like missing

Swans 17.11
Tigers 9.13

Currie good recovery from a spillage, hb to #51 runs into open goal

Swans 18.11
Tigers 9,13

Plugger46
9th August 2008, 07:07 PM
Appreciate the updates Ugg. Has Braba come back on yet?

ugg
9th August 2008, 07:20 PM
murphy tripped looked accidental. Off the field

Orreal now sporting a headband

Tigers goal x2

Murphy back on

Tigers scramble another

#51 picks up another, good running

Murphy goals! after great close work by fosdike and white.
Swans 20.11 131
Tigers 12.14 86

Fulltime

satchmopugdog
9th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Woo hoo....any win is good at the moment.

ugg
9th August 2008, 07:26 PM
no braba but I think they do this for every hme reseves game just in case.

venus
9th August 2008, 07:30 PM
ugg - how was he playing before being withdrawn? -thks for updates.

reigning premier
9th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Thx for the updates Ugg.....

dimelb
9th August 2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you those people who kept us in touch - much appreciated. The further we go this season the more we end up relying on what the twos can give us.

Nico
10th August 2008, 12:01 AM
From that info it looks like our injury list has shortened somewhat.

ugg
10th August 2008, 12:30 AM
Woohoo a real keyboard.

Eski was the best for me. Just a class above the rest. Not quite the sensational performances he put in the reserves in 05, but definitely set up wave after wave from the half back line. I was also impressed by his leadership and seemed to take special interest in helping out Brendan Murphy.

Jesse White loves to hit the packs hard, always provides a contest. Dean Terlich was clever around goals, made space and took his chances.

Currie was again terrific in the ruck, tapwork and also general around the ground work was good. Orreal's ruckwork is also solid, although he tends to get lost in general play. Still, he has a lot of potential.

Fossie plugged away all day, his ball use was generally good and will be pushing for a recall next week. Benny was Benny, didn't dominate and made a fair few errors. MOD was lively whenever he got the ball, very evasive but as per usual some of his disposal let him down. Smith was better in this regard, but he seemed to be playing off a wing/halfback rather than up forward.

Murphy and Faulks held their own down back. Murphy's spoiling and reading of the play has improved since I last saw him, he's getting caught HTB less. HE still loves to run with the ball (bounce technique needs work) and LOVES kicking a goal.

liz
10th August 2008, 12:56 AM
How hard would it be to get someone updating the goal kickers who can actually tell the players apart. Pretty much every week a goal or two gets randomly assigned to players.

Malceski didn't look particularly fit to me today - not surprising - but his class was evident. He's clearly not going to learn anything about footy playing at this level but he maybe needs another gallop next week just to get closer to adequate fitness for senior football.

Fossie was very busy as Ugg has said. Playing much more in the guts in the reserves than we're used to seeing him at senior level.

Barlow was much improved on recent outings. Played with a bit of intensity and mostly did good things.

Murphy probably lost his contest on points, and gave away four or five frees. But I love the way he attracts and relishes the physical contact. And the way he seems to be able to shark out a goal most weeks - even if he's only forward for a short while.

White was very good in the second and third quarters. I thought his first quarter was a disaster - not holding marks and throwing himself into situations where if he didn't mark it he was well out of the contest. But then at quarter time something changed and he was hanging onto pretty much everything that came his way. He started kicking well too, after missing a couple of reasonably easy chances in the first quarter. Didn't get much of it in the final quarter but an encouraging performance nonetheless.

MOD, Smith and Bruce were others who had solid games, MOD characteristically mixing some eyecatching stuff with a few errors.

I didn't catch the list of players so not entirely sure who he was (maybe Riley??) but number 45 had a super game. Got a bit ahead of himself in the final quarter and made a couple of silly errors but other than that he marked strongly and kicked very creatively. Don't remember particularly noticing him before but will look out for him again in the future.

ugg
10th August 2008, 12:59 AM
How hard would it be to get someone updating the goal kickers who can actually tell the players apart. Pretty much every week a goal or two gets randomly assigned to players.

I think I may have solved that mystery today. The non-playing scholarship boys were busy scribbling away and I'm guessing they must have been noting the goalkickers?

I think 38 was Riley.

Added up the goalkickers from my posts:
White 4 Terlich 3 Barlow 3 Currie 2 #51 (Mill?) 2 O'Dwyer 1 #38 (Riley?) 1 #45 (?????) 1 Orreal 1 Beckmans 1 Murphy 1

Edit: okay no Potter in the team list. No idea about #45 then.

Triple B
10th August 2008, 01:47 AM
#45 was Riley. And yes, he was impressive.

wedge.maverick
10th August 2008, 10:26 AM
I went to Tuggeranong last week and Riley was #38 there and Nathan Gordon #45.

gossipcom
10th August 2008, 10:32 AM
I was one of the people who questioned why Fossie wasn't playing in seniors yet. I heard a rumour (not sure how true it is, but apparently it came from the Swans coaching staff) that his confidence was down and that was the reason he hadn't put his hand up for seniors selection yet. He wanted to find his feet again before doing so.

Nico
10th August 2008, 10:38 AM
On Murphy, I recall Kennelly gave away what we perceive as silly frees as he learned the game. There were times when we thought the backline was not his go.

ugg
10th August 2008, 01:18 PM
I recall the scoreboard listing #38 as Riley. And from the list of goalkickers

Match Results (http://sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=35265463&c=1-1051-0-65344-0&pool=-1)

I think you may be right wedge

A big LOL @ the best list though.

Nico
10th August 2008, 01:39 PM
I recall the scoreboard listing #38 as Riley. And from the list of goalkickers

Match Results (http://sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=35265463&c=1-1051-0-65344-0&pool=-1)

I think you may be right wedge

A big LOL @ the best list though.

You have to understand Ugg they give the best to different players each week so they won't be disappointed about missing out on a McDonalds voucher.

stellation
10th August 2008, 01:43 PM
I somehow hadn't had much of a chance to see how big Currie is up close until last night, the kid is already bulking up and looks like his frame will support a lot more muscle. Great gamble by the Swans (assuming we can sign him to a multi year contract, he'll be off his current one end of this year won't he?).

Orreal looked a lot better than I had previously thought, too.

stellation
10th August 2008, 01:45 PM
I have to add too, in case this hasn't come up before, but when Fossie decides to do something he really goes in big time; be that in the power boats he buys or in the small little tatts he decides to get on his arm.

Triple B
10th August 2008, 01:46 PM
#45 was Riley. And yes, he was impressive.

I recall the scoreboard listing #38 as Riley.

Got myself totally confused now.

I remember looking at the scoreboard at halftime and seeing Riley. I was thinking I was looking to see who #45 was, but in hindsight, ORB and I were wondering who #38 was at quarter time (we knew it wasn't Meredith) so maybe I was looking to see who #38 was and HE was Riley.

I need a Bex and a good lie down. :frown

Nico
10th August 2008, 01:50 PM

I remember looking at the scoreboard at halftime and seeing Riley. I was thinking I was looking to see who #45 was, but in hindsight, ORB and I were wondering who #38 was at quarter time (we knew it wasn't Meredith) so maybe I was looking to see who #38 was and HE was Riley.

Maybe the club is playing a swifty. Could it be there is a smokey in the draft?

If you're all confused then spare a thought for the other club scouts.

stellation
10th August 2008, 01:52 PM
I remember looking... at... ORB... and... I... was... we knew it... wasn't... maybe... I was... looking to see... who... HE was...

I just hope you kids can work things out. I just see you two together. :(

liz
10th August 2008, 03:19 PM

I think no 45 kicked a first half goal, and I remember looking at the goal kicking list to see which non-Swans player was named on it, which is why I thought 45 was Riley. But given that they don't always credit goals to the right players - even listed Swans - that's hardly conclusive evidence.

wedge.maverick
10th August 2008, 03:27 PM
I think no 45 kicked a first half goal, and I remember looking at the goal kicking list to see which non-Swans player was named on it, which is why I thought 45 was Riley. But given that they don't always credit goals to the right players - even listed Swans - that's hardly conclusive evidence.

Riley has lighter hair and much solider and shorter than Gordon.If that helps.

liz
10th August 2008, 03:41 PM
Riley has lighter hair and much solider and shorter than Gordon.If that helps.

Not much, though my hazy memory after the nail-biter that followed seems to recollect that the "mystery" number 45 had quite dark hair. If that was Gordon yesterday afternoon in no 45 I am very very happy, given he's a scholarship player.

wedge.maverick
10th August 2008, 07:54 PM
Not much, though my hazy memory after the nail-biter that followed seems to recollect that the "mystery" number 45 had quite dark hair. If that was Gordon yesterday afternoon in no 45 I am very very happy, given he's a scholarship player.

Gordon's hair is a lot darker than Riley's,Liz.

Old Royboy
10th August 2008, 11:20 PM
Just to confuse things even further, Sporting Pulse had the second top up goalscorer as Mill, so was he the 38? I need a stiff scotch, bex will not be strong enough.

ugg
11th August 2008, 12:06 PM
Official report and adding to the confusion, Riley has now become Reilly :confused:. Oh and a 7 player best list.

Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans > News Article > Swans too slick for persistent Tigers (http://sydneyswans.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=65179)

Triple B
11th August 2008, 12:15 PM
Mmm, no reserves this week. :(

I guess the good thing is I can park the car at Roselands and take the bus, normally if the ressies are on, the first bus doesn't get there until quarter time so I have to get the train.:mad:

dimelb
11th August 2008, 12:56 PM
Here's an encouraging comment:
'Murphy was the best on ground for the Swans, defending and attacking well from centre half back'
I hope we see him in the ones next season.

ScottH
11th August 2008, 01:29 PM
RWO official report (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26019)

Thx ORB.

dimelb
11th August 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks ORB - always appreciate your detail.

liz
11th August 2008, 02:54 PM
I emailed the club to find out, and they've come back and told me that 38 was Riley and 45 was Gordon.

Triple B
11th August 2008, 03:12 PM
I emailed the club to find out, and they've come back and told me that 38 was Riley and 45 was Gordon.

You got a response from the club? I don't believe you :p .

Good news though, Gordon looked a good type and he's a scholarship boy :)

Good report ORB

wedge.maverick
11th August 2008, 08:47 PM

Just like I said Liz.Same as Tuggeranong.

stellation
11th August 2008, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one that thinks liz chasing up a clarification of the name of the name of a top up player is pretty nerdy?

wedge.maverick
11th August 2008, 09:16 PM
Am I the only one that thinks liz chasing up a clarification of the name of the name of a top up player is pretty nerdy?

Definitely not.
When your the RWO resident expert on all things involved with the reserves I wouldn't expoect anything else.:)

liz
11th August 2008, 10:00 PM
You got a response from the club? I don't believe you :p .

I've always found the membership department to pretty helpful and responsive. I got a reply today within half an hour of emailing them with my question.

:p

Just like I said Liz.Same as Tuggeranong.

Yep. Acknowledge that. And they've generally kept the regular top-up players in the same guernsey numbers all season so I probably I should have taken your word for it.:)

bandwagon
11th August 2008, 10:20 PM
Another excellent report ORB. Opinion from anyone who sees the 2nds is very much appreciated.

DeadlyAkkuret
11th August 2008, 10:53 PM

Yes but Liz is a very cool nerd. She seems to know a lot about the reserve players and I always look forward to her reviews/updates on particular players.

ScottH
12th August 2008, 07:49 AM

Not compared to posting spacey sci-fi stuff.

Primmy
12th August 2008, 08:19 AM
Yes but Liz is a very cool nerd. She seems to know a lot about the reserve players and I always look forward to her reviews/updates on particular players.

Cool, that officially makes me a nerd too! I haven't missed a home ressies game in years and years. You get to see what the future may bring, positive and negative.

Murph has huged up, and he said at the AM that he has to lose some kilos as he has had shin splints, he is heavier than his frame has grown into. But as for enthusiasm, he is kind of fun to watch.

I like young Spiteri (sic). He of the blue head ware. Little bloke, but thinks and marshalls really effectively, not quite in the Eski's class, but think along those lines.

I have been watching Benny, and he looks like he is onfield coaching - like Fruity did in his year with the Swans ressies.

stellation
12th August 2008, 08:52 AM
Not compared to posting spacey sci-fi stuff.
Hey, if anything I find her nerdy behaviour alluring! Birds of a feather.

ScottH
12th August 2008, 09:16 AM
Hey, if anything I find her nerdy behaviour alluring! Birds of a feather.

OK, peachy.

satchmopugdog
12th August 2008, 10:49 PM
I have been watching Benny, and he looks like he is onfield coaching - like Fruity did in his year with the Swans ressies.

I remember seeing Brett Allison doing that too with a young Tadhg and an injured Fitzgerald(well he wasn't injured at the beginning of the game) and look where he is now..starting to climb the greasy pole.