PDA

View Full Version : Am I a bad fan???

pinoy
11th August 2008, 11:22 AM
I was watching the swans game against freemantle, they were down by 12 with 5 minutes to go. Pavlich marks and that was the time I decided to change the channel cos I couldn't take it anymore, I was swearing and yelling out that they deserve what they're getting, that they don't deserve to play finals... anyway 3 minutes later I accidentally press "back" on my foxtel remote and went back to fox 1, I couldn't believe Sydney was up by 5 points. I missed the 3 goals they kicked and I felt bad about it. i saw Bevans mark, i'm telling you guys he is going to be a gun.

Am I bad fan to change the channel that way?

Yuri H
11th August 2008, 11:50 AM
I learned my lesson the hard way watching the last game against the Eagles - watched the Swans buckle in the first few minutes, dreaded a bloodbath, switched off the game and sat watching an old black and white movie on dvd, grumbling all the while. I think had it been against anyone but the hated Eagles, I'd have been able to stick it out longer.

Luckily my less-passionate-about-footy, calm and collected husband was upstairs and turned on the game there to watch a bit more calmly. As the Swans clawed their way back, he came downstairs to inform me that I'd missed a really exciting nailbiter; I caught only the last few minutes.

I felt bad that I'd stomped off in a huff from my Swans, and vowed to watch every game all the way thorugh from then on. ... which has led to a few frustrating evenings this season, but that's another story. Still, I now faithfully subscribe to the never-say-die outlook, especially when it comes to the Swans.

connolly
11th August 2008, 11:53 AM
I was watching the swans game against freemantle, they were down by 12 with 5 minutes to go. Pavlich marks and that was the time I decided to change the channel cos I couldn't take it anymore, I was swearing and yelling out that they deserve what they're getting, that they don't deserve to play finals... anyway 3 minutes later I accidentally press "back" on my foxtel remote and went back to fox 1, I couldn't believe Sydney was up by 5 points. I missed the 3 goals they kicked and I felt bad about it. i saw Bevans mark, i'm telling you guys he is going to be a gun.

No you should fit in nicely here. And welcome aboard the Bevo Appreciation Society.

lwoggardner
11th August 2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, you are a bad fan :-).

Or you could take the view like my wife, that the swans play better when you are not watching.

Me, I took the dual screen option, muted the sound on the swans and watched some Olympic rubbish. Saw the comeback happening, but didn't turn the sound back until full-time.

Triple B
11th August 2008, 11:57 AM
My mate left, dragging his poor wife with him, the moment Pav took the mark.

I thought he may have waited downstairs when he missed the sitter but apparently not. He sent me an SMS whilst I was walking to the car promising to leave early every week :D

AussieAnge
11th August 2008, 12:06 PM
Someone rang me after the game and accused me of not being ARF as I left my seat in the MAN at about the 20 minute mark of the 4th quarter and watched the rest of the game in the Ladies stand:confused:

Xie Shan
11th August 2008, 12:32 PM
My mate left, dragging his poor wife with him, the moment Pav took the mark.

If Pav had kicked the goal it would have been all over and yes, I did think about leaving, but in retrospect we were certainties to win after he missed, given Pav's record of crucial kicks at goal this year!

I'd say the Dockers would have felt pretty deflated after we went the length of the field to score 30 seconds later! I still don't know how we ended up with 3 free players inside the forward 50, credit to the Swans for running hard from the kick-in and actually moving the ball quickly for once!

I didn't say it in the match-day thread but individual performances like Goodes' are one of the reasons you go to the footy.

BTW, did anyone catch Dwayne Russell's dig at Freo after the siren on the TV coverage? "Freo are like Stonehenge, they're known for their ruins, and they've ruined another one". Ouch!! Talk about kicking a team when they're down...that was just plain nasty!

Triple B
11th August 2008, 12:38 PM
....credit to the Swans for running hard from the kick-in and actually moving the ball quickly for once!

That's the most frustrating thing about it. :mad: :mad:

We just never seem to kick it in quickly from a behind until we are just about dead and buried. Then we take it on because we have nothing to lose and bingo, it comes off.

We had the EXACT same discussion after the North game when we came back to salvage a draw by throwing caution to the wind.

Lucky Knickers
11th August 2008, 04:05 PM
I was at a 40th Birthday on Saturday night rather than the game - not ARF. Thank god for Annie (ARF) who kept me posted with Goodes performance via sms (five) and the score.

bennyfrou
11th August 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think you are a bad fan, I was watching the game with my little brother (10 years old, first year as a swans fan) and with 5 minutes to go I was ranting and raving. Season's over, you can't limp into the finals, can't even beat freo, a season that promised so much at the half-way mark. If I was on my own I would most probably have turned the tv off.

31 hard at it
11th August 2008, 04:53 PM
I didn't say it in the match-day thread but individual performances like Goodes' are one of the reasons you go to the footy.

I dont think I have ever left a game before the siren or stopped watching a TV game.
The reason being those magic moments that live on in your memory.
Hundreds of games but only a few really stick... lets leave the 2005 finals series out because when you watch it 15 times you remember most....

A goal on the run from the boundary line by MOL in a Testra Dome match against St Kilda in 2005.... Everyone said we were hopeless and would never win a Premiership. I came away talking to my Dad about that great goal making the night worthwhile.:)

Whats your best memory of a game that otherwise was a waste?

11th August 2008, 04:56 PM

No. You're not a bad fan. I'd texted DST with 5 minutes to go to tell him we were done for. Then BANG! Resurrection.

Why do they leave it so late though? I'm too young to die of a heart attack.:mad:

Bob Neil
11th August 2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, bad fan.

You should have been screaming like me, even if just at the TV.

Freo deserved to have won - they snatched defeat away from the jaws....
How pi**ed would they be?

Swans need to play constantly like they're 13 points down with 4 mins to go. Desperate.

AnnieH
11th August 2008, 06:06 PM
Bad fan.
Bad.

I learnt my lesson at the Geelong Sydney SF in 2005.
At three quarter time I had the @@@@s badly and I wanted to go home, but my friend wouldn't let me. He wanted to stay and watch the whole game - even if we were losing.

Well, lucky he made me stay. I would have missed Davo's goals that put us into contention for the 2005 Granny.

A lesson well learnt.:)

AlexC
11th August 2008, 06:08 PM

Am I bad fan to change the channel that way? did exactly the same thing XD

dendol
11th August 2008, 07:35 PM
if you were at the game instead of on your couch, you would have left to try to beat the traffic. So yes, that makes you a bad, fickle fan.

Lohengrin
11th August 2008, 07:47 PM
A disgraceful fan. You shouldn't be watching from home to start with - you should fly to every game. And if you are at home (logic optional) then you should remain watching even if your house is burning down.

Bas
11th August 2008, 11:14 PM
Silly fan.

I missed the game because of a cold. Wifey wanted to watch Foxtel so I settled for delay on computer telly. When Freo kicked goal for lead, I made executive decision to check out final result. We won, but down by 14 at late stage. Turned back and watched last bit in full enjoyment.

Had we lost. Olympics!

ep2006
11th August 2008, 11:37 PM
I don't blame you. Being that close to losing against Fremantle is embarrassing for any team.

bloodboy
11th August 2008, 11:43 PM

Mate, I did exactly the same thing, except I could never not flick back. I switched back on just as Goodes kicked another to put us within 8. Was just really frustrating the manner in which Freo got a lot of their goals on Saturday night, a LOT of snaps and fall-behind-the-pack type goals. I don't think we played that badly, but was very frustrating.

SassySwan
12th August 2008, 01:21 AM
I have NEVER left a game early. Whether we are winning or losing by 10 goals. NEVER, EVER!
Have we not learned with our team that it's not over til the siren sounds? Bloods Determination!
Bad Fan, Very bad fan!!

shaun..
12th August 2008, 02:08 AM
Bad fan.
Bad.

I learnt my lesson at the Geelong Sydney SF in 2005.
At three quarter time I had the @@@@s badly and I wanted to go home, but my friend wouldn't let me. He wanted to stay and watch the whole game - even if we were losing.

Well, lucky he made me stay. I would have missed Davo's goals that put us into contention for the 2005 Granny.

A lesson well learnt.:)
I turned the tele off after the 3rd quarter, what a poor decision that was :(

On topic, not a bad fan.. I was pretty devastated after Pavlich's mark but stayed for the rest of the game :D

DeadlyAkkuret
12th August 2008, 02:57 AM
I don't blame you. Being that close to losing against Fremantle is embarrassing for any team.

Indeed. Your face must be a permanent shade of red?

connolly
12th August 2008, 09:00 AM

Can only imagine the humiliation at actually being beaten by them.

stellation
12th August 2008, 09:02 AM
Someone rang me after the game and accused me of not being ARF as I left my seat in the MAN at about the 20 minute mark of the 4th quarter and watched the rest of the game in the Ladies stand:confused:
NARF! If you don't want strange phone calls don't give me your number :p

Wardy
12th August 2008, 09:35 AM

Yes had the same person rung me with that diatribe he would have copped an absolute gob full back from me. As Ange and I left together Ange ran around to the ladies stand I was watching the telly at the back of the SCG members - problem was this old bloke kept yelling at me - I had to politely tell him to shut up as I couldnt hear the radio commentary. Then finally the siren went and it was off to the bus (and that stupid woman who said that we would beat Geelong by 65 points!)!!!

pinoy
12th August 2008, 10:53 AM
Yes I am a bad fan but can you blame me. But in my defense I sat through all of the 2005 Pre Lim game v Geelong game and the game this season v West Coast.

What's funny is that AFL.com.au must have known I turned off when Pav took that mark because they have a replay of the last 5 minutes of the game on their site from when Pav is about to kick the point... hehe, thanks AFL.com.au

Bevan 2010 = Brownlow Medalist.

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2008, 11:15 AM
You are not a bad fan. You were just letting your frustrations boil over. Understandable given the importance of the match & the phlegmatic opponent we were playing. I was physically sick in that last quarter as well. Had B52s in my stomach even at the end of the game, even though I was elated we won.

The bad fans were the ones who bought memberships but didn't turn up against Freo because we have been losing of late. The crowd looked horrendous on the TV; wouldn't have been much over 20000 by the look of things.

It is amazing how (some) Sydney people seem to think that following a team that has lost a couple is somehow bad for their image, thus giving them a reason to find 'something better to do'. What about sticking things out for when things come good. :confused:

JF

AnnieH
12th August 2008, 11:26 AM
You are not a bad fan. You were just letting your frustrations boil over. Understandable given the importance of the match & the phlegmatic opponent we were playing. I was physically sick in that last quarter as well. Had B52s in my stomach even at the end of the game, even though I was elated we won.

The bad fans were the ones who bought memberships but didn't turn up against Freo because we have been losing of late. The crowd looked horrendous on the TV; wouldn't have been much over 20000 by the look of things.

It is amazing how (some) Sydney people seem to think that following a team that has lost a couple is somehow bad for their image, thus giving them a reason to find 'something better to do'. What about sticking things out for when things come good. :confused:

JF

I'll only miss a game if I'm hospitalised (or if my brother decides to get married again).

I've turned down heaps of invitations to things like weddings and parties because they've fallen on the same day as a home game. People should check the calendar before they make party plans!!

Wardy
12th August 2008, 11:38 AM
I'll only miss a game if I'm hospitalised (or if my brother decides to get married again).

I've turned down heaps of invitations to things like weddings and parties because they've fallen on the same day as a home game. People should check the calendar before they make party plans!!

I admit my nerves were shot to bits - that is why I left with Ange - however we were watching it down stairs - so we saw the finish and total and it was a huge relief!

Lucky Knickers
12th August 2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know how Annie managed to keep sms-ing and managing to convey the excitement of the game all at the same time - or maybe that was just me. I had all the blokes in the restaurant asking me for score updates on the qt.

Wardy
12th August 2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know how Annie managed to keep sms-ing and managing to convey the excitement of the game all at the same time - or maybe that was just me. I had all the blokes in the restaurant asking me for score updates on the qt.

You were both providing a good community service - Annie with the at ground score's and Lucky passing the same information to the restaurant patrons.

Seagoon
12th August 2008, 12:28 PM
No-ones perfect mate. Forget about it. At least you saw the end. I fell asleep during the thriller game from last year where we came back from heaps down and won. I woke up in the middle of the news... doh!

AnnieH
12th August 2008, 12:31 PM

It WAS exciting!! I think the lead changed 14 times.

Swannette
12th August 2008, 02:10 PM
Firstly, I'm blonde, so that's probably it right there some might say. But to lose track of the score because you are frantically texting your mates who would normally be sitting across the ground from you, but aren't cause they're at a stupid party, and so when mcfarlin hits the post you think the score is level and then you somehow don't take account of any more goals and of course you don't look at the scoreboard cause you know, you know, so then you are freaking out cause we are playing kick to kick and we need to get THE BALL DOWN THE OTHER END AND KICK A GOAL OR A POINT, I DON'T CARE WHICH, and you wonder why everyone seems OK with this and then why does the place roar with delight when the siren goes and everyone stands and the song starts. But its a draw you think, what's going on, and then you look at the scoreboard. Don't know about bad fan, but dumb, most certaibnly. :D

gumby_bolts
12th August 2008, 02:14 PM

I was at a 30th birthday at the Fox and Lion, so close yet so far!!
And the pub didn't even have the game on so I was using my wife's mobile to check the scores. Stopped checking it in the 4th when Freo was comfortably in front and only found out about the win when the fans starting coming in after the game.:o

Jewels
12th August 2008, 03:54 PM
I have NEVER left a game early. Whether we are winning or losing by 10 goals. NEVER, EVER!
Have we not learned with our team that it's not over til the siren sounds? Bloods Determination!
Bad Fan, Very bad fan!!

I have to admit that I walked out of the Adelaide game when Porplezia kicked his last goal.

It was either walk out or be arrested for assault as I was so p###ed off at the garbage happening on the field I thought I was going to hit someone.

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2008, 04:07 PM

I was exactly the same when I lived up there & got so much attitude from football ignoramuses. "You mean you CAN miss one game, you know (as if there is something wrong with you). But I don't miss games, we can meet up tomorrow". "You are a freak" *CLUNK (end of phone call)

I have to admit that I have dreaded this weekend ever since the A-League draw was announced. The huge blockbuster Swans match was up against Sydney Fc vs Melbourne Victory a match I NEVER miss. Am really distraught I find myself in a decision where I have to choose, so have decided to go to neither & watch both games at the Riser (with the SFC game on the little tv atop the Cheer Squad table).

Still home games aren't exactly down the road any more. At least I have the excuse that I'm 1000km away. Had I lived in Sydney the decision-making would have been even worse.:(

I'll just be happy for this weekend to be over to be honest.

JF

Having said that, I'm pretty certain both teams will lose. If I stay down here I can leave the pub & forget about it. If I go up to one game & the other team wins I'd never forgive myself.

AnnieH
12th August 2008, 04:11 PM
Firstly, I'm blonde, so that's probably it right there some might say. But to lose track of the score because you are frantically texting your mates who would normally be sitting across the ground from you, but aren't cause they're at a stupid party, and so when mcfarlin hits the post you think the score is level and then you somehow don't take account of any more goals and of course you don't look at the scoreboard cause you know, you know, so then you are freaking out cause we are playing kick to kick and we need to get THE BALL DOWN THE OTHER END AND KICK A GOAL OR A POINT, I DON'T CARE WHICH, and you wonder why everyone seems OK with this and then why does the place roar with delight when the siren goes and everyone stands and the song starts. But its a draw you think, what's going on, and then you look at the scoreboard. Don't know about bad fan, but dumb, most certaibnly. :D

I never once lost track of the score, I am able to multi-task admirably.
But then again, I'm not a blonde!!:)

Primmy
12th August 2008, 04:25 PM
Kirky said to a friend of mine "you NEVER give up on us!". Sometimes its hard, but its worth hanging in there when they do the impossible. You just feel like exploding with pride

Then again, when they don't its just miserable isn't it.

I am not expecting much against Geelong, except pride over logic.

swantastic
12th August 2008, 05:04 PM
I don't know how Annie managed to keep sms-ing and managing to convey the excitement of the game all at the same time - or maybe that was just me. I had all the blokes in the restaurant asking me for score updates on the qt.Annie's hot on the TXT its just not you LN its me as well she's TXT'ing during the game.Annie and I even TXT when both are watching the game.She does go off her dial at some one or some thing when on the fone somtimes whic is funny:D ..

hot potato
12th August 2008, 07:18 PM
We never leave early to any contest. Seeing something remarkable happen live before your very own eyes, you can't beat it. You will never forget it. You will talk to complete strangers about it like you have always been lifelong mates.
Don't do it again. Naughty fan.:o

AussieAnge
12th August 2008, 08:33 PM
NARF! If you don't want strange phone calls don't give me your number :p

Indeed:p

Big Al
12th August 2008, 10:12 PM
Annie's hot on the TXT its just not you LN its me as well she's TXT'ing during the game.Annie and I even TXT when both are watching the game.She does go off her dial at some one or some thing when on the fone somtimes whic is funny:D ..

Annie and GS14 are 2 the most entertaining supporters I have ever had the privilege to sit near. Annie, god love ya.

AnnieH
13th August 2008, 11:27 AM
Annie and GS14 are 2 the most entertaining supporters I have ever had the privilege to sit near. Annie, god love ya.

:o
I'm blushing!!

Swansinger
14th August 2008, 04:27 PM
I confess to similar foolishness in the past.

What you forgot though is that it was FREMANTLE : they are mentally soft and even late in the 4th , I never had any doubt we would win.

BigD
14th August 2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think it makes you a bad fan. I'd given up myself at about that time and I copped heaps from a fellow CS'er for my lack of faith.

I used to leave games early quite a bit if we were beaten badly. One night I left a match against St Kilda at the SCG at 3/4 time as we were down by over 100 points and showing no signs of coming back. Of course, now that I'm in the CS I stay through to the end no matter what, although on occasion I've thought of leaving early.

Cheer Squad mbr
14th August 2008, 11:00 PM
I don't think it makes you a bad fan. I'd given up myself at about that time and I copped heaps from a fellow CS'er for my lack of faith.

Wasn't me, was it? Or was it the little one? :p

BigD
14th August 2008, 11:02 PM
Wasn't me, was it? Or was it the little one? :p

It was the little one and as I remember he had a go at you too.