PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves $2.1million over 3 years more? Stephanie Rice or Brendan Fevola?

timmeh
11th August 2008, 02:27 PM
Who deserves $2.1million over 3 years more? Stephanie Rice or Brendan Fevola?

Stephanie Rice and Brendan Fevola are both professional athletes and are key sportsmen/women in their respective fields. Stephanie Rice is a swimmer and she has represented Australia on the international stage. Brendan Fevola is an AFL footballer, playing at the highest level in his sport and has some individual success. Money plays a large role in sport these days and some sports clearly have more earning power than others.

It would be safe to assume one of the two clearly earns more than the other, this may or may not be fair as one is representation by an individual and the other a team sport. Relays in swimming for Stephanie, could be argued either way.

Let?s look at Fevola first. He was drafted by Carlton in ?98 in as a third round pick, not the best of the best but has in time worked his way up to being a very handy player. During his career to present he has had his fair share of problems such as injuries and off-field disputes with both his personal life and some relating back to his club. Fevola relished at the opportunities given to him by his new coach Dennis Pagan, once Wayne Brittian was sacked and has been a key forward for Carlton in recent years. Also winning a Coleman medal in 2006.

Stephanie Rice on the other hand, has only recently reached the international arena in 2006. Rice has also had her fair share of off-field issues with Swimming Austarlia removing her Facebook page because of ?raunchy? photos. In the pool, she managed to win gold at the 2006 Commonwealth games but wasn?t near her current times but did show plenty of potential. On the weekend, Steph won gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics in the 400 meter individual medley relay and at the same time smashed the world record for the race.

In the past 2-3 years both have been very close to being at the peak of their powers. Stephanie would have to train several hours a day working in the pool on her technique, time and out of it with fitness & strength. Fevola would have training several times a week on his marking, kicking for goal and like Steph, fitness and strength in the gym. Stephanie has her coach as her mentor and family/peers to help her out while Fevola has his teammates, particularly midfielders, and his coaches to assist in succeeding at the highest level possible.

If Brendan has a bad game, it is a bad game and he has the following week to redeem himself. Whereas Stephanie needs to perform on a regular basis make the required times for her swims, if she doesn't get them then she misses out whether that be the trip to Olympics, making the finals or missing the gold medal.

Although, it is arguable that Stephanie who smashes world records having to push herself, physically and mentally, for both her country and herself, works much more harder than Brendan Fevola. Their last few years have been comparable and one would doubt that Stephanie would be earning anywhere near the amount that Fevola had signed for in his recent $2.1 million contract over three years. Do you believe that there is a dubious earning amounts across sports and what athletes have to achieve?

__________________________________________________ _____________
It is a long piece and if you do have subjective comments to make go for it but don?t go about nit picking one sentence here and then just arguing that point and forgetting about the piece as a whole. I also used Fevola as an example in general for a high paid player, doing well with some issues.

i'm-uninformed2
11th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Plus, life would be far sweeter waking up next to her . . .

swantastic
11th August 2008, 02:56 PM
Plus, life would be far sweeter waking up next to her . . .Not if your from Sydney.

BTW I reckon Steph deserves it more because she is on the international stage and can bring in more over seas sponsorship money into Australia.

royboy42
11th August 2008, 03:30 PM
Maybe it's like comparing the salary of Tiger Woods and a Qantas pilot..Woods earns about 500 times more, but he could always become a pilot, and the Qantas pilot could never become a Tiger Woods!
Perhaps Fev could become a handy swimmer, but I dunno about Steph at full forward!

reigning premier
11th August 2008, 04:13 PM
Ummm understand what you're saying, but the abject bias displayed in your post is not likely to endear your position to many.

It could be argued that because she's only performing periodically (such as the olympics and commonwealth games) is the reason why she will make bugger all from her sport. On the other hand, football players in general are on display for 2-3hrs, every weekend, 22+ weekends a year.

I'd also suggest that the popularity of her chosen sport has everything to do with what her remuneration will be. Let's face it, swimming is great in the olympics but it's as boring as bat @@@@ at every other level and you're hardly going to get people to watch it every weekend.

hammo
11th August 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't understand your point. Fevola earns a bigger salary than Stephanie Rice, but she earns infinitely more than Fevola in endorsements.

A golfer can plug away on the USPGA tour with only modest success and earn significantly more than both of them combined.

CureTheSane
11th August 2008, 05:23 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is.

What someone is worth is what someone else is willing to pay.
Simple as that.

Triple B
11th August 2008, 05:24 PM
Mmmm, Stephanie Rice **drools**

Go you good thing.

CureTheSane
11th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Mmmm, Stephanie Rice **drools**

Go you good thing.

There would only one instance when I would be using that term with Stephanie Rice. I can't describe it here :)

hammo
14th August 2008, 04:23 PM
I would think Stephanie Rice is now earning significantly more than Brendan Fevola.

cruiser
14th August 2008, 05:50 PM
Plus, life would be far sweeter waking up next to her . . . Even I think she's beautiful, almost enough to turn me ... no, only joking ;)

Wardy
15th August 2008, 08:15 AM
Even I think she's beautiful, almost enough to turn me ... no, only joking ;)

I'd like to see that!!!!;)

Bruce McAvaney has the hots for her - I guess she is the complete package - she's tall, pretty, articulate and will earn loads getting her gear off and modeling togs, undies and expensive watches. Swimmer always get some kind gig with posh watch makers.
Grant Hackett is the exception though- he gets Muesli bars and cheap batteries (and he is not an attractive man)

Fev is not an attractive man - and his reputation got dragged through the mud for a while there because of various incidents (including Binglegate and public peeing) he can play footy a bit though.

ScottH
15th August 2008, 08:41 AM
Bruce McAvaney has the hots for her

He has the hots for every athlete.
They're sppecialll.

Wardy
15th August 2008, 08:46 AM
He has the hots for every athlete.
They're sppecialll.

yeah but he sounds like a bit of a dirty old man when he talks about Rice - "the face of an Angel and the heart of a lion" its all a bit creepy really.

I have to say listening to Hamish & Andy on the way home of an afternoon has been very entertaining as they too are in Beijing. Still not quite in the same catagory as Roy & HG - but they are close.

ScottH
15th August 2008, 08:54 AM
yeah but he sounds like a bit of a dirty old man when he talks about Rice - "the face of Angel and the heart of a lion" its all a bit creepy really.I'm sure he said the same thing about Thorpe. ;)

And yes he does sound like a dirty old man.
Even when calling the footy. :eek:

swantastic
15th August 2008, 01:49 PM
And yes he does sound like a dirty old man.
Even when calling the footy. :eek:It is a winter sport after all .

swantastic
15th August 2008, 01:51 PM
I would think Stephanie Rice is now earning significantly more than Brendan Fevola.She is a lot better looking after all so that helps.She will be doing swimsuit,makeup and car ads just to name a few.If your got it,flaunt it.