PDA

View Full Version : Where will the improvement come from?

ROK Lobster
12th August 2008, 11:55 PM
If we keep going the way we are we are simply finals fodder. So where does, IYO, does the lift need to come from if we are to be contenders?

For me it is Malceski and Kennelly. Injuries have taken their toll on these two. If they can get their bodies right (or right enough and some needles) and find some form, that will go a long way towards some September success. However, without their drive I don't think we can drag teams down far enough to be a real threat. Who is crucial for you?

Lohengrin
13th August 2008, 12:18 AM
Definitely need the return of Kennelly and Malceski to top form. We can't really threaten effectively without drive off the half back.

Need Hall to return his 05-06 form.
Or if not need Goodes and Hall to operate effectively in tandem in forward line (along with MOL).

Midfield needs to lift as it will be without Goodes. That means J Bolton needs to maintain his recent good form but against the good sides. ROK (who really plays as a midfielder) needs to overcome his tags and get more of the ball and also use it better.

C Bolton hasn't played his best in recent matches and needs to get back to that.

Everitt definitely needs to lift.

So it's mainly older guys for me really. Not sure if the younger guys can do much better at this stage.

liz
13th August 2008, 12:56 AM
I can't see Malceski or Kennelly getting much fitter this year. They both look pretty sore and playing within themselves - Mal for most of the senior games since his return and again for the ressies last weekend, and Kennelly for much of the season. That doesn't mean they're not capable of being handy, and even playing the odd blinder (as Malceski did against West Coast) but it's hard to see them consistently being matchwinners for the next two months.

Likewise, and as Loherigin has said, it is unreasonable to expect the younger players to do much more, though again they're all capable of having one or two matches where they make a real difference. I think Vez, for example, is quite likely to have a game where he pops up with 4 or 5 goals, if Roos sticks with him.

If Buchanan really has spent the last month working on his fitness he could add some extra hard-nosed zip around the packs, as he did in 2005-6, but it would be foolish to assume that will happen.

The team is probably just not quite good enough this year - a combination of injuries to some important players and the young ones not having enough experience or fitness to perform yet at a sustained high level. If the miracle is going to happen it is probably going to come from lots of small improvements rather than one or two significant ones - eg

Goodes getting mobile enough to at least spend some time on the ball
Micky O coming back to fill the hole if and when Goodes is able to move further up field
Jude sustaining his form of the past month
Kirk regaining his supreme form of the season up to a month ago (he's still been good but seems to have dropped down just a notch or two in influence)
Mattner, Ted, LRT playing close to their best for the rest of the year

None of those things will be enough on their own but if they all happen we could be at least in for a fun September.

ShockOfHair
13th August 2008, 01:55 AM
Hall. He's fit, running into form and rested. I can't see him reproducing 05-06 form but he can lift a notch or two and keep defenders occupied.

Mattner's been a bit down the last few weeks, and Kirk has slightly gone off the boil -- but they're both fully fit and could make the difference in the run home.

Plus Leo, if he's fit and in form. No certainty of either, but he makes a difference at the back.

Doctor
13th August 2008, 10:04 AM
What exactly is LRT's best? The first half of the 05 GF springs to mind but I haven't seen it since then. Not a bad time to produce it mind you.

Industrial Fan
13th August 2008, 10:12 AM
The best outcome for us this year is to play in at least two finals. Hopefully win one of them to get some experience into the youngsters.

ScottH
13th August 2008, 10:15 AM
I'd like to see Jolly lift a little bit more. Seems to have dropped off in the last 2 weeks.
Jack is another, if he could recapture his first 5 rounds, or so, form, he could be just the extra bit of speed and skill we need in the middle. When he does fire up, we look so much better.

Legs Akimbo
13th August 2008, 10:57 AM
I think most recognise that our 'business as usual' footy is not going to bring about a premiership this year, irrespective of how well our players play.

IMHO, the only way we are going to pull off a miracle (would be a great miracle), is through some key positional changes combined with a 'devil may care' run at all costs shift in our game.

I think Goodes to full forward is potentially one of those season defining shifts similar to his move into the ruck in 2003. Pity it came so late. So, I'd keep Goodes at FF and move Barry Hall out to become a Reiwoldt style linking half forward. This could be the best thing that happens to BBB - will free him up from three players hanging off him, allow him to use his aerobic capacity, and most importantly, free up space in our forward line for Goodes to run amok. Even better if MOL can reappear and work in tandem. I also think Vez is a significant addition and could do some serious damage. All of a sudden our forward line is looking potent again.

I would have ROK spend more time in the midfield and linking to cover for Goodes absence, and instruct him to just @@@@ing run and run and burn off his tag. He would be doing a lot of work alongside Hall. Both should be focusing on more time spend running through the corridor and less on the wing. Bird, Kirk, and B2 to continue their good work extracting.

Realistically, it is too late in the piece for Curry to make an appearance so Spida and Jolly is what we have. Nothing wrong with JOlly, but Spida is decaying fast. LRT may have to pinch hit down back.

In the back half, is where it all starts and where the problems have been of late. Hopefully additional movement from ROK and Hall across the forward line will regenerate our run by giving moving targets not the static hands on hips crap we've seen of late. Anyway, if Kennelly, Mattner and Beven can be given more of a free reign to work off their man, we may just begin to unlimber. Crouch has been setting a good example here of late. A lot depends on Teddy, Leo and LRT (as much as it pains me to say it). Against Geelong and Hawthorn with their tall marking forwards, these guys just have to stand up. Maybe we need to look at running other teams wide as they have to us by bottling up CHB line.

That's it, I am out of time and ideas!

Captain
13th August 2008, 10:59 AM
Will be interesting to see how Goodes goes at Full Forward this week. He is just as likely to kick none and we will all be calling for him to play midfield.

Plugger46
13th August 2008, 11:11 AM
With Goodes at FF, I reckon we're about to see the best of Barry Hall. I think if we're to improve significantly over the next few weeks, the improvement is going to have to come from these two.

Malceski, O'Loughlin and L.Barry (although I don't think he's as important as he once was) back into the side.

I don't think we can win the flag, but I haven't written off a GF appearence - provided we finish 4th. I'd love to play Hawthorn or the Bulldogs in a preliminary final.

giant
13th August 2008, 11:18 AM
Good question.

I suspect the answer will be a combination of:
- a much stiffer defence - it's been noticeable that in this latest losing streak we've been bleeding goals after being so miserly at the beginning of the year. Obviously Leo back helps but we need to return to the discipline of the early rounds
- more experience in the midfield - Fossie to join Crouch and give us more experience and toughness in the clinches
- more goals! - better efficiency (we've had a terrible goal kicking record lately), more goal kickers, and perhaps a special final series from BBBH a la 2005/6 (bar that Particular Game)

Some innovation from Roos and the coaching squad and a lift from Spida to provide what we got him to do would both help as well - but in essence, I think it's likely to be a return to the old Swans lock down style perhaps with a bit of a twist on fast direct rebound corridor offensive footy.

giant
13th August 2008, 11:19 AM
Will be interesting to see how Goodes goes at Full Forward this week. He is just as likely to kick none and we will all be calling for him to play midfield.

Agreed - I'm guessing the Geelong defence performs a little differently to the Dockers'.

hammo
13th August 2008, 11:28 AM
My fear as well. He'll most likely be up against the best in the business if he goes to the goal square this week so it will be a good test for the new plan.

I generally agree with everything written here. As others such as Liz have pointed out, I get the impression a lot of our side are playing with injuries - Kennelly, Malceski, Goodes are the obvious ones. I wouldn't be surprised if Craig Bolton also has an injury.

I think confidence and belief is a huge factor with the Swans. It can't be a coincidence that when things go wrong in games (Collingwood, Adelaide) we appear to have no belief and fall in a heap. Simarly against Carlton and Fremantle, our best came when we our backs were to the wall and we tried something different, it works, and we started playing with belief again. In 2005 the side approached the finals with a sense of destiny, with enormous belief. That has been missing most of this year with the current team.

Captain
13th August 2008, 11:50 AM
I think confidence and belief is a huge factor with the Swans.

It sure is.

Look at the 2006 PF for example - Dockers were in great form, but we were near certainties to beat them and we delievered.

What's changed since then considering the Dockers are much, much worse. Confidence.

Frog
13th August 2008, 11:57 AM
If we keep going the way we are we are simply finals fodder. So where does, IYO, the lift need to come from if we are to be contenders?
Roos. Different gameplan, although I doubt it is going to work this late in the season. Then again, it may just surprise the other side who by now have blueprints of Roos' gameplan in their vaults.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Why do we persist in trying to get to the other side of the field via Paris? Roos has got to be confident that his players can handle the positions they are selected in. Straight down the line, goal-to-goal has got to be better than pissfarting around the wings just to get some more stats?

Oh, and Roos, I've said it before, I'll remind you again, get off the bench and back into the coaches box. You finished football playing a long time ago - No need to wear out the pine, those days are over. You cannot coach AFL from the sidelines and expect to have a full view of the chess-game that is taking place on the field.

Go Swannies
13th August 2008, 01:25 PM
We'll have a lot better idea of the answer to this on Sunday morning. Remember that the Swans took it up to the Cats for 3.5 quarters earlier this year. I think the kids simply ran out of puff at the end (though the rest of the comp think the Cats were simply playing with us).

Lots of good points in this thread. Moving Goodes forward was a masterstroke last week but I often see Roos simply being outcoached. It'll be interesting to see what he does this week.

And the mark of the Swans has always been the team's ability to lift for the big games - that's been true since the Port final in 2003 when we were given no chance and gave them a football lesson. If the Swans win on Saturday then we have a great chance in the finals (and should be able to lock up 4th - or @@@@ it up if we get outcoached by Mick M again).

But we can't play the same flat footed, error ridden footy that we've fallen back into in so many games this year. We just need a bit more self confidence and skill and luck (especially goals vs posters) and the end of the season could be lots of fun.

I don't think a win on Saturday night is out of the question. And the shiver that'd send through the comp may carry us well into September.

BRISWAN
13th August 2008, 07:16 PM
Ed Barlow needs to find the form he had in the first 5rounds.
Get him in there - this guy could be our next Goodes.
He has speed - height and a mongrel that inspires others when his on!!!

Mickey O has been a revalation this year (with a full re-season under the belt)
we need him back on board....... fast.

Everitt era maybe over but he is a far better option than Playfair upfront - and our back up ruckman still need time. (His form will be a big influence on our success from here on in) .

Buchanan will come good and is in ourbest 22 without doubt.

LRT and Grundy are not in our best 22 at the moment. Despite the masses, our backline can exist on speed, skill and lack height.
(Minimise the clangers....please!)

Bevo/Ted/Mal/Marty/Tadhg/CBolts are my preferred back 6 when all fit and firing.

Rok/MickeyO/Vespa/Buchanan/Hally are all capable of kicking bags.

Our middle is solid as always - but needs Goodes firing for the Rolls Royce factor. McV has been a saviour this year and Kirky and Jude are great stoppers. Our young brigade (Birdy/Moore/Jack) have done themselves proud
as back-up.

Ablett is a great kick and I still rate him highly - but he needs to regain confidence in the magoo's.

Crouchy could be a smokey for us - has done some good stuff in the past few weeks.

Fozzie must be hungry too.....if he is fit - we could do worse than to give him a run against Geelong to see if he has anything to offer.

Let's have a good crack this week and take Coll/Bris to carry on some form into finals.

Go Boys!!!

reigning premier
13th August 2008, 07:28 PM
Backline and Goodes.....

Our Fwd line is starting to click into gear. Hall looks like he's returning to form and with the likes of Vezpremi, ROK and B1 regularly contributing, we should be able to kick enough goals to win. Throw a rested and rejuvenated MO'L into the mix and there's enough goals there for us.

The mids are doing OK but will probably never beat a midfield with the likes of Ablett, Bartel & Corey. A break even would be teh best we could hope for.

The backline is desparetely missing it's run. Even if it is Leaping making ridiculous runs against players with twice his pace, we need to run and run hard.

And of course the great wild card, Adam Goodes. He needs to play good, consistant football regardless of his postition. None of this brilliant one week, missing the next. On just an average day, he'll beat his opponent 99/100. And that's what we need from him.

Lucky Knickers
13th August 2008, 07:34 PM
The improvement must be from our backline - our kick-ins are woeful and against Geelong we cannot afford cheap turnovers in our D50 and gift them goals.
Tadhg has got to run into form - I thought his game last week was an improvement but there is still a big difference between his best and what he's showing right now.
Freo didn't pressure us much coming out of defence but Cats sure will.

DST
13th August 2008, 09:04 PM
It sure is.

Look at the 2006 PF for example - Dockers were in great form, but we were near certainties to beat them and we delievered.

What's changed since then considering the Dockers are much, much worse. Confidence.

Much worse?

The only form that counts is the last 4 to 6 weeks when you are playing a side, anything else beyond that is useless.

Based on the last 4 to 6 weeks the Dockers were a tough opponents and the game showed that.

DST
:D

BSA5
13th August 2008, 10:07 PM
Ed Barlow needs to find the form he had in the first 5rounds.
Get him in there - this guy could be our next Goodes.
He has speed - height and a mongrel that inspires others when his on!!!

Mickey O has been a revalation this year (with a full re-season under the belt)
we need him back on board....... fast.

Everitt era maybe over but he is a far better option than Playfair upfront - and our back up ruckman still need time. (His form will be a big influence on our success from here on in) .

Buchanan will come good and is in ourbest 22 without doubt.

LRT and Grundy are not in our best 22 at the moment. Despite the masses, our backline can exist on speed, skill and lack height.
(Minimise the clangers....please!)

Bevo/Ted/Mal/Marty/Tadhg/CBolts are my preferred back 6 when all fit and firing.

Rok/MickeyO/Vespa/Buchanan/Hally are all capable of kicking bags.

Our middle is solid as always - but needs Goodes firing for the Rolls Royce factor. McV has been a saviour this year and Kirky and Jude are great stoppers. Our young brigade (Birdy/Moore/Jack) have done themselves proud
as back-up.

Ablett is a great kick and I still rate him highly - but he needs to regain confidence in the magoo's.

Crouchy could be a smokey for us - has done some good stuff in the past few weeks.

Fozzie must be hungry too.....if he is fit - we could do worse than to give him a run against Geelong to see if he has anything to offer.

Let's have a good crack this week and take Coll/Bris to carry on some form into finals.

Go Boys!!!

Eh? "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" Barlow? Mongrel?! Where did you get that from? Soft as cheese, er, butter! Seriously though, while I do rate him, he is definitely no mongrel, and that is what is holding him back. And his first 5 rounds weren't all that flash either. Not bad, but not exactly mind blowing. There is a reason he was dropped (OK, to be pedantic, he was out with injury at first, but he was never recalled, even when fit).

And Ablett isn't a great kick either. A looooooonnnnnngggggg kick, but not a good one. Other than that, I pretty much agree.

Ludwig
13th August 2008, 10:07 PM
Last week's game plan execution was the most positive thing I've seen all season, and I think they will be the key to our improvement in these final weeks of the season. Week after week, there has been chatter about 'playing on' and 'backing ourselves', but last week we really did it. Regardless of the scoreline, the Swan (and Freo as well), just kept the ball moving forward all game.

A few times, especially with Hall, the movement slowed after taking a mark. But most of the guys kept the ball moving. It went against us a number of times, but we have all been saying that we need to do what we did on the weekend.

The improvement will come from getting better at that sort of game, which is really the Geelong game plan, only that they do it so much better than anyone else.

We all know that we are not quite as good as Geelong, but if we can play the way we did on Saturday, and we can field a healthy team of our best players, we have a shot to play them in a Grand Final.

MarshallG
13th August 2008, 10:37 PM
If we keep going the way we are we are simply finals fodder. So where does, IYO, does the lift need to come from if we are to be contenders?

The lift has to come from their confidence.

They are the type of team where they equal more than the sum of their parts.

If they have the confidence / belief in themselves they get the running game happening and when they get the running game happening, ...

RogueSwan
14th August 2008, 10:01 AM
... Bevo/Ted/Mal/Marty/Tadhg/CBolts are my preferred back 6 when all fit and firing...
I think Bevo is much more valuable as a defensive forward. Let him tackle the @@@@ out the defenders and hopefully get a few shots on goal.