B: Tom Harley, Matthew Scarlett, Andrew Mackie
HB: Harry Taylor, Josh Hunt, Corey Enright
C: James Kelly, Max Rooke, Jimmy Bartel
HF: Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney, Gary Ablett
F: Joel Selwood, Tom Lonergan, Mathew Stokes
Foll: Brad Ottens, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey
I/C: Shannon Byrnes, Mark Blake, Brent Prismall, Ryan Gamble
EMG: Travis Varcoe, Simon Hogan, Jason Davenport

Official Website of the Australian Football League > NEWS ARTICLE > Teams: round 20 (http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=65506)

573v30
14th August 2008, 06:46 PM
Vespa out? :eek:

hammo
14th August 2008, 06:48 PM
Some surprises there.

Still no Malceski, but Leo Barry in.

I am surprised to see Jack and Vesz dropped. But the inclusion of Fosdike (which I'm pleased about) and Buchanan give a strong indication as to how the Swans are approaching this game.

Robbo
14th August 2008, 06:48 PM
Oh dear. This would have to be the worst in and outs list for the year.

It absolutely reeks of 2005 premiership favouritism.

ugg
14th August 2008, 06:49 PM
Longmire said they would name Leo but he was very unlikely to play.

14th August 2008, 06:49 PM
What a @@@@@ joke !

How have they dropped Brennan ,Jack, Vespa.

Spida fair dinkum must be boning Roosy and Noggy is bloody lucky.
Struggling with these decisions this week.:mad:

Margie
14th August 2008, 06:54 PM
As Ugg said Leo Barry unlikely. Pity about Jack and Veszpremi - perhaps one needs a rest and the other lacks experience for such a big game.

Wonder if Mal will come in for someone carrying an injury?

reigning premier
14th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone want to bet on Leo out at last minute and Eski in?

Plugger46
14th August 2008, 07:03 PM
Not unhappy with the inclusions but very unhappy with the omissions.

Luke Ablett is one very, very lucky man.

robbieando
14th August 2008, 07:03 PM
That's it I'm questioning what the hell is going though the mind of Paul Roos and the rest of coaching staff today. Why drop Jack? Why bring back Buchanan and Leo? I can understand resting Malceski from the seniors for another week. But why drop Vespi? It can't be because we don't want to expose him to Geelong at this stage of his development because we will have to sometime and no time like the present and his form has earnt him to keep his spot.

Oh well, I guess we at least have given plenty of kids gaes this year. Pity we just have to go back to old guys for the finals run in.

Jewels
14th August 2008, 07:07 PM
How does Ablett get a game this week when he only played last week because of a late withdrawal and saying he was ordinary is being kind?

Ves must feel very ripped off, two games where he did nothing wrong except look lively and he's dropped - defies the imagination!

Robbo
14th August 2008, 07:17 PM
Bringing in Buchanan is dangerous. He seems to turn the ball over a lot - Geelong absolutely crusify you if the ball is turned over.

BSA5
14th August 2008, 07:18 PM
Smoke and mirrors. Has to be. Pleeeaaaasssseeee? Luke Ablett pulled up tight in the hammies after last match, and Jack to come in. Buchanan stiff and sore after all his fitness training, and unable to play, so Vespa comes up. Roos just naming them to screw with Bomber Thompson's matchups. Please? :(

Although I'm pretty sure I did notice Vespa getting an unusual amount of physio attention during the Freo match (I was on the other side of the ground though, and try as I might, I couldn't always make out who was getting rub downs, but it often looked a lot like Vespa). Perhaps he has a niggle, and Roos doesn't want to risk him (we all know how early injuries can derail a promising career). And Jack, well, he hasn't been bad lately, but he has looked a tad tired. Bird needed a one week rest earlier in the season. Maybe it's Jack's turn.

If that speculation is correct, then I guess it isn't too bad a decision. If it's not..... Well, I said I trust Roos and co, and that hasn't changed, but they're pushing it.....

Rob-bloods
14th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Given our usual lack of changes this is very baffling. I would not say the inclusions suit the opposition, some cynics may well say currently our entire squad does not suit this opposition, from a perspective of us winning!

A weird selection.

Who knows the Swannies can always surprise....can they throw the canuck in the ruck with the help of a smart QC?

The Big Cat
14th August 2008, 07:48 PM
Obviously a man on man strategy for Geelong. Need men not kids!

ernie koala
14th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Grundy, LRT, and an injured Goodes.....Then a ruckman resting down forward....It would be the slowest forwardline of all time, against a defence that rebounds with the best of them...hmmmm.:confused:
I hope your correct BSA5, and this is a Roos ruse.
I'd like to see Brennen hold his spot ahead of Grundy, and no Spida, for starters. Then add some pace please.

TheMase
14th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Probably want a fit side against Geelong, and feel that Ves isn't currently fit enough to chase their defenders out of defense.

hammo
14th August 2008, 07:57 PM
Obviously a man on man strategy for Geelong. Need men not kids!

You've hit the nail on the head.

I don't think Jack or Vesz have been dropped for any reason other than their bodies aren't solid enough yet. Fozzie and Amon add some tackling grunt to our side.

The Swans will be trying to replicate the Magpies approach from earlier in the year - the coaching staff gave as much away earlier in the week.

Claret
14th August 2008, 07:59 PM
Geez people, relax!

Sure, some of our favourites might be missing but this is close to the strongest team we've been able to put on the park all year.

Jack could definitely use the rest (no ressies this week). Anybody here happen to remember who he played on at Skilled Stadium earlier this year??? This is as good a week as any to have that rest. I actually think he's ahead of Ablett (that's the one we've got) in the pecking order and his pace will be back for the clash with the Pies.

As for Vespa, I'm as bigger fan as anybody and he's my new (equal) favourite player BUT to suggest that he's ahead of Buchy is just plain wrong. Monty hasn't played for 5 weeks and needs some game time in his legs before finals. Does he not deserve the chance to prove his worth prior to September?

Call it Premiership credits. Call it experience. Whatever. It is actually worth something. The flashiest, most exciting, players that have the most potential aren't always the best players for the job that needs doing.

Bas
14th August 2008, 08:30 PM
You're all blind.

Can't you see what will happen?

Late minute replacement for Barry. Not even on the emergency list.

Roos to bring in the Swans secret weapon that has been in cottonwool for most of the year, just to be unleashed at final time.......

The GREAT No 4 will be back.

Benny Matthews. Will kick 8 goals with the last after the siren to win by 4 points!.

Yes, I'm more than happy for you to have what I'm having.... Just don't tell the government.

ugg
14th August 2008, 08:39 PM
Jack could definitely use the rest (no ressies this week).

Yes the reserves are on, not at ANZ but at Canberra on Sunday.

Claret
14th August 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes the reserves are on, not at ANZ but at Canberra on Sunday.

Ahhh, cheers ugg. Either way it's a rest from chasing G Ablett around for a few hours again! :)

i'm-uninformed2
14th August 2008, 09:05 PM
I found myself in the warmdown rooms last week and can tell ya, they spent a lot of time on Vespa's groin so with his history, it wouldn't surprise me if he is being given a sneaky rest.

Rod_
14th August 2008, 09:32 PM
To win a final will we need a 2nd ruckman? Most probably yes.
Do we need depth for the finals? Yes - play as many players to match fitness as possible for a decent finals run tis a good plan.
Do we need young players being hammered during the home and away games? Not preferable (Not that I think that will happened but Keiran was given a lesson against Gablett in the last game we player the cats and vespa needs to grow confidence a little - he will be a player - maybe not now??) I bet they are in the box getting tuition though!

Will L Barry play ?? Who to come in? Melco ....?

Do we have an ablett that needs fittness or form injection? Hope he gets is soon or a young one will get his job.

For me this game has potential to run a few players into form. Spider, Crouchy and Fossie need a good hitout. Cats won't tank so we will have an idea of how we will go with potential to take it up a notch in the finals.

Rod_

cruiser
14th August 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one dismayed by the omission of Vespa and Jack, and the inclusion of Ablett. We can only wait and see what will happen match day.

I hope Fossie turns it on.

mcs
14th August 2008, 09:52 PM
cant believe Vespa has been dropped. Happy about the inclusions however. Not so concerned about Jack going out, even though I think he could of done a more then decent tagging job on one of their multitude of stars. Cant believe NOG is still there, his form has nosedived the last month or so. Good to see Fosdike back, I think we have missed him more then most would think this year.

Bas
14th August 2008, 09:57 PM
For me this game has potential to run a few players into form. Spider, Crouchy and Fossie need a good hitout. Cats won't tank so we will have an idea of how we will go with potential to take it up a notch in the finals.
Rod_

I agree. I think Crouch's return is going largely unnoticed. He may tag Gary Jr. Shoud do better than Jack.

At least Champan and Millburn aren't playing. Chapman always seems to rip us apart.

Cheer Squad
14th August 2008, 10:00 PM
I agree. I think Crouch's return is going largely unnoticed. He may tag Gary Jr. Shoud do better than Jack.

At least Chapman and Millburn aren't playing. Chapman always seems to rip us apart.

Yeah, you're right. He seems to lift a notch when he plays against us, the same way Hunter does for the Eagles.

Lohengrin
14th August 2008, 10:03 PM
How does Ablett get a game this week when he only played last week because of a late withdrawal and saying he was ordinary is being kind

I was going to say the same thing. What a joke. Pure favouritism.

connolly
14th August 2008, 10:06 PM
I was going to say the same thing. What a joke. Pure favouritism.

We are going to put strong bodies up against them. And consistent pressure. Nothing to do with bias. Its called a gameplan.

Captain
14th August 2008, 10:07 PM
As for Vespa, I'm as bigger fan as anybody and he's my new (equal) favourite player BUT to suggest that he's ahead of Buchy is just plain wrong.

Spot on.

I think the selectors got it right (except Ablett for Eski)

DST
14th August 2008, 10:07 PM
They have signalled their intentions for this game at the selection table.

We are going to try and put Geelong under intense physical pressure and see if they can continue to play their high posession game under the heat.

If we are good enough to put the pressure on for a full 80 minutes, like Collingwood and North (to a lesser extent) were this year then we are in with a show.

Must win the contested ball, play man on man and pressure, scrag and harrass at evey opportunity.

DST
:D

ScottH
14th August 2008, 10:16 PM
Shame about Vespa and Jack.

I thought Vespa had done enough to hold his spot.
Jack has the leg speed we need in the midle.

Goal Sneak
14th August 2008, 11:35 PM
I'm thinking maybe the coaching staff have penciled this game in for a loss and might be thinking ahead to the last two crucial games of our season. Lets see what Buchanan and Fosdike can do this week, they are not bad inclusions by any stretch. Give Vespa and Jack a rest to keep them fresh for the pies and lions. It is surely NOG's last chance, if he doesn't improve, then one of the two ins' will start in his place next week.

Legs Akimbo
14th August 2008, 11:38 PM
We are going to try and put Geelong under intense physical pressure and see if they can continue to play their high posession game under the heat.

Freo tried it and were smashed. I doubt this is a good strategy.

ernie koala
14th August 2008, 11:53 PM
I see on the swans web site Brennan is listed as an emergency, not Mal.
I suspect he will come in for Leaper, and hopefully play forward, he's hard at it and has pace to chase their defenders out, which would mean LRT or Grundy retreating to the backline.

liz
15th August 2008, 12:03 AM
Freo tried it and were smashed. I doubt this is a good strategy.

But Collingwood not only tried it, they did it. And they are the only team to beat the Cats (so far!) this year.

I doubt anyone will beat the Cats without this approach, although on it's own it is probably not sufficient. The Swans also need to take some risks. If they take risks and stuff it up with poor skills they are going to get beaten. If they don't take risks, they will get beaten, regardless of how well they pressure the Cats. The only hope is to put on pressure, take risks and keep the fingers crossed that the skill level across the team is close to it maximum.

The need to take risks is the main reason I'm disappointed Vez isn't playing. A combination of his natural approach and his senior level "niaivety" means he's not scared of anything yet. He could be an x-factor. On the other hand, he's clearly far from peak fitness and the reports that his groin is still sore account certainly might account for a few of the mistakes he made last week (a missed tackle, that one-handed attempted pick-up where he didn't get down low enough). And while his enthusiasm and overall attack on the game can't be questioned, there's no doubt he doesn't yet have the physical strength that Buchanan has.

Leo is so unlikely to play you have to wonder why they've bothered to name him. Will Jack or Brennan come into the team? On a like for like basis Brennan is the more obvious candidate but I don't think Geelong have an overly tall forward line. It is their smalls and mediums who pose the greatest risk and I think Jack would be more useful in covering the likes of Ablett, Chapman and Stokes (in tandem, probably, with Crouch and Bevan). Plus, having Crouch and Jack running through our midfield with genuine zip over the past fortnight has made it look a whole lot more menacing than with just one of them.

ugg
15th August 2008, 12:11 AM
I see on the swans web site Brennan is listed as an emergency, not Mal.
I suspect he will come in for Leaper, and hopefully play forward, he's hard at it and has pace to chase their defenders out, which would mean LRT or Grundy retreating to the backline.

I suspect it's a lazy cut and paste job. All the other sites have Malceski not Brennan as the emergency.

gossipcom
15th August 2008, 01:02 AM
Glad to see Fozzie back!

I would have said if Leo went out Brennan would go in, but he's not listed as an emergency. Kind of surprised they dropped Jack though.

BloodsInMyVeins
15th August 2008, 04:08 AM
I'm another really glad to see Fossie Back & hopefully Buchanan might impress.

In fact i hope all the swannies impress me this weekend ,with a win of course:D

Bloody Hell
15th August 2008, 05:20 AM
Anyone want to speculate on LRT's role this week?

Legs Akimbo
15th August 2008, 07:05 AM
But Collingwood not only tried it, they did it. And they are the only team to beat the Cats (so far!) this year.

I doubt anyone will beat the Cats without this approach, although on it's own it is probably not sufficient. The Swans also need to take some risks. If they take risks and stuff it up with poor skills they are going to get beaten. If they don't take risks, they will get beaten, regardless of how well they pressure the Cats. The only hope is to put on pressure, take risks and keep the fingers crossed that the skill level across the team is close to it maximum.

The need to take risks is the main reason I'm disappointed Vez isn't playing. A combination of his natural approach and his senior level "niaivety" means he's not scared of anything yet. He could be an x-factor. On the other hand, he's clearly far from peak fitness and the reports that his groin is still sore account certainly might account for a few of the mistakes he made last week (a missed tackle, that one-handed attempted pick-up where he didn't get down low enough). And while his enthusiasm and overall attack on the game can't be questioned, there's no doubt he doesn't yet have the physical strength that Buchanan has.

Leo is so unlikely to play you have to wonder why they've bothered to name him. Will Jack or Brennan come into the team? On a like for like basis Brennan is the more obvious candidate but I don't think Geelong have an overly tall forward line. It is their smalls and mediums who pose the greatest risk and I think Jack would be more useful in covering the likes of Ablett, Chapman and Stokes (in tandem, probably, with Crouch and Bevan). Plus, having Crouch and Jack running through our midfield with genuine zip over the past fortnight has made it look a whole lot more menacing than with just one of them.

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes. I think there is a difference between pressure (bottling up, playing close, forcing mistakes and turnovers by giving no room - i.e. man on man or disciplined zoning) and intense PHYSICAL pressure (trying to put players off their game through niggling, bumping, intimidation, especially heavy tackling elbowing in face etc.). the former is a given, the latter is folly.

Beating Geelong this year requires catching them on an off day, applying intense 'pressure', a four quarter effort from every player, a talented team, a robust strategy and flawless execution. I hope it works out that way for us.

BloodsInMyVeins
15th August 2008, 07:55 AM
Anyone want to speculate on LRT's role this week?

All i can say is i hope he doesn't see much of the ball this weekend.:eek:

Meaning Geelong not attacking as much as the Swannies.;)

liz
15th August 2008, 09:37 AM
Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes. I think there is a difference between pressure (bottling up, playing close, forcing mistakes and turnovers by giving no room - i.e. man on man or disciplined zoning) and intense PHYSICAL pressure (trying to put players off their game through niggling, bumping, intimidation, especially heavy tackling elbowing in face etc.). the former is a given, the latter is folly.

Beating Geelong this year requires catching them on an off day, applying intense 'pressure', a four quarter effort from every player, a talented team, a robust strategy and flawless execution. I hope it works out that way for us.

I interpret "applying pressure" as the first of your two descriptions and the second hadn't occured to me in the context of the upcoming game. I don't think I've ever seen the Swans apply that kind of "pressure" - it just doesn't seem to to be part of the team personality, certainly not under Roos.

I agree with you it's a waste of time. The Hawks (not so much this year, but in past years when they were crap), Freo and Essendon are the three clubs I've regularly seen try the niggle approach and I agree with you that it rarely - if ever - works. And not just against teams like Geelong either.

Lohengrin
15th August 2008, 11:33 AM
Given Ablett is struggling and not really applying pressure against the lesser teams, it doesn't seem likely that he'll suddenly discover form against Geelong. He doesn't really have a great record in big games.

johnno
15th August 2008, 11:40 AM
cant say i agree with the vespa dropping. I f he is injured, fair enough, but if he is not injured, well, its just plain wrong. Also, Brennan needs to be in this senior side, I have not seen a swans player attack the ball and the man like Brennan does since the great Paul Kelly.

swantastic
15th August 2008, 02:05 PM
No Milburn or Chappy 2morrow night.

Wardy
15th August 2008, 02:06 PM
You're all blind.

Can't you see what will happen?

Late minute replacement for Barry. Not even on the emergency list.

Roos to bring in the Swans secret weapon that has been in cottonwool for most of the year, just to be unleashed at final time.......

The GREAT No 4 will be back.

Benny Matthews. Will kick 8 goals with the last after the siren to win by 4 points!.

Yes, I'm more than happy for you to have what I'm having.... Just don't tell the government.

OMG I just read that and spat out my cup of tea all over my screen!! a good laugh cheers!!!

jenky28
15th August 2008, 02:08 PM
I really liked what i saw from all 3 of the omitted on the weekend but i do wonder how vespa would hold up against the likes of harley and friends down back for geelong. Was impressed to with Brennan last week he was really starting to improve. I hope he keeps in high spirits and keeps pushing for senior selection. Jack is great to young tough player. The inclusions tho are all key players. Fossie, Buchanan and Barry (if he plays). All cruicial parts of our team when on song. If Barry goes out you would think Brennan would come in when you look at size and position. I think if we stick to our game plan and pressure pressur pressure we can knock em off. We were really competitive for 3 qtrs against them earlier in the yr and that was alot less experienced side to what we have this weekend.

Some of the differences- Jack was in so was Davis, we were without Bazza, Fozzie, Crouchy. Cant remember the others off the top of my head.

Wardy
15th August 2008, 02:31 PM
maybe the plan is to name the old and experienced heads who have beaten the cats before - throw in a bit of doubt - who knows? - I agree re Ablett though - he's been distracted this year - yet still gets picked (and he runs on his toes - very girly!) I'd like to think we will win by 1 point - but I fear that we will be torn a new one.

ItsAllGoodes
15th August 2008, 03:05 PM
Surprise Surprise

Out - Barry (of the Leo variety)
In - Malceski

Swans' Barry ruled out for Geelong match - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/swans-barry-ruled-out-for-geelong-match/2008/08/15/1218307197572.html)

Donners
15th August 2008, 03:30 PM
So who's going to replace Malceski when he withdraws tomorrow?

jenky28
15th August 2008, 03:46 PM

I guess that will be the number 1 question.
Can i phone a friend?

ernie koala
15th August 2008, 04:00 PM

Brennan, I hope. He is just starting to find his feet and should never have been dropped in the first place.

Captain
15th August 2008, 04:25 PM
Brennan, I hope. He is just starting to find his feet and should never have been dropped in the first place.

Gee I disagree, would have Jack ahead of Brennan.

IMO Brennan will be extremely lucky if he doesn't get delisted at the ned of the year.

Donners
15th August 2008, 04:37 PM
I think Brennan is likely to go. Not that he's a bad player, or without use, but he just cannot find a regular position and a younger player with more promise could perform a similar stop-gap role.

TheGrimReaper
15th August 2008, 08:21 PM
Good to see Malceski back. :)

giant
15th August 2008, 10:08 PM
Surprise Surprise

Out - Barry (of the Leo variety)
In - Malceski

Swans' Barry ruled out for Geelong match - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/swans-barry-ruled-out-for-geelong-match/2008/08/15/1218307197572.html)

didn't they say exactly this at the beginning of the week? I reckon the work experience kid phoned thru the wrong team.

connolly
16th August 2008, 10:47 AM
Some of the differences- Jack was in so was Davis, we were without Bazza, Fozzie, Crouchy. Cant remember the others off the top of my head.

Three big differences there. Big Beamish is likely to rip them apart, playing alongside the best footballer in the comp, as they are one tall short now on their backline. Fozzie gives us a lot more run and carry and of course the best forward to lace on a boot since John Coleman isn't playing. That must be causing some consternation amongst the Barnyard Bullies that real pressure will be applied to their half back line in this game.

ernie koala
16th August 2008, 03:26 PM
Gee I disagree, would have Jack ahead of Brennan.

IMO Brennan will be extremely lucky if he doesn't get delisted at the ned of the year.

I don't rate Brennan ahead of Jack, but for this game Jack looks tired and took a big hip from Sanderlands last week, he needs a rest. Brennan needs game time. I completely disagree that Brennan should be delisted. I reckon he has showed enough that he could become a regular.

Bart
16th August 2008, 05:05 PM
Jack looks tired and took a big hip from Sanderlands last week,

That would have to have been head high, surely?

Seagoon
16th August 2008, 05:06 PM
Hahahahahhahaahahahahaahahahaahahahahahaa i love it.

Seagoon
16th August 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah I get the drift of the feeling that Jack may be rested from chasing GA around the park again. It makes sense. I must say that he probably would have been dragged kicking and screaming out of the side.

And, who the hell is NOG??? Is is Ablett, not of garry or something like that?

Goal Sneak
16th August 2008, 05:16 PM
And, who the hell is NOG??? Is is Ablett, not of garry or something like that?

Nephew of God

Seagoon
17th August 2008, 12:01 AM
Haha thats good - is that his real nickname?

ugg
17th August 2008, 12:03 AM
I call him and Nathan BOCOG. Brother or Cousin of Gary.