PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Scholarship Players

sharp9
15th August 2008, 09:27 AM
I always get confused as to who and how many scholarship players we have (especially as some get mentioned nearly every week in the reserves report)so I thought it might be an idea to have a quick reference, nice clean sticky, updatable list that has their names, size/position, age and what year they become available to draft. Also maybe what Rams teams/Australian teams AIS teams they are currently in, etc.

Nathan Kenny
Blake Guthrie
Jackson Potter
Jay Lewis
Matthew May
Ryan Bottin-Noonan
Nathan Gordon
Jack Lynch - 15 . Australian U16 Basketball Rep. 190 cm. Signed July 2008

Happy to edit my post if others add info, or perhaps a mod might want to do this.

Cheers
Jono

dimelb
15th August 2008, 04:08 PM
Good idea - who's got the info?

Justice
18th November 2008, 09:32 PM
According to AFL NSW/ACT (http://www-static.sportingpulse.com/pics/60/01/6001034_firstfileFILE.pdf) website Sydney has nine listed scholarship holders for the 2009 season. In addition to those listed above is Mitchell May.

From the list of 2008 U15 & U16 Zone trials (http://www-static.sportingpulse.com/pics/53/26/5326632_firstfileFILE.pdf) he is listed as coming from Tathra, I assume he is related to Matthew May, and stats were:

height: 188 cm weight: 77 kgs DOB: 26/08/93 (15 yrs old).

In line with Sharp9's initial idea, the following stats, from April 2008 - obviously now out of date as 15 and 16 year olds grow like weeds, were available on:

Nathan Kenny - height: 177 cm weight: 62 kgs DOB: 16/04/93 (15 yrs old).

Blake Guthrie - height: 175 cm weight: 62 kgs DOB: 25/03/93 (15 yrs old).

Jackson Potter - height: 173 cm weight: 66 kgs DOB: 6/03/93 (15 yrs old).

Jay Lewis - height: 178 cm weight: 69 kgs DOB: 6/03/92 (16 yrs old).

Matthew May - height: 177 cm weight: 71 kgs DOB: 12/02/92 (16 yrs old).

Jack Lynch - height: 189 cm weight: 76 kgs DOB: 7/01/93 (15 yrs old).

There has been some speculation regarding whether Nathan Gordon is eligible for drafting for 2009. Given that he is listed as a 2009 scholarship holder it would seem to indicate that season 2010 beckons.

Cheers

Justice

shaun..
18th November 2008, 10:47 PM
Not to sure on how these kids play but if all goes well, we'll have a solid list of players to choose from in 3-4 years time.

BSA5
18th November 2008, 11:24 PM
Not to sure on how these kids play but if all goes well, we'll have a solid list of players to choose from in 3-4 years time.

I wonder if it's any coincidence that this will be while GC and WS are raping the draft? Perhaps loading up on so many NSW players pre-emptively is one of Roos' plans for countering the concessions given to the two new teams. It would also explain why he's investing so much in overseas players (Murphy, Pyke, Coney, and who knows who else next season).

shaun..
4th December 2008, 09:58 AM
Just had a curious thought that the Swans may be holding off Nathan Gordon as a rookie selection as to test the waters with another youngster and have deemed that Gordon isn't ready for AFL footy as yet (and why waste a spot on the list). In any case, as 09 seems to be a favourite year for retirements Nathan can then easily fit onto the list for 2010.

PS: How long can a player be on scholarship for?

barlow
5th December 2008, 09:56 PM
Just had a curious thought that the Swans may be holding off Nathan Gordon as a rookie selection as to test the waters with another youngster and have deemed that Gordon isn't ready for AFL footy as yet (and why waste a spot on the list). In any case, as 09 seems to be a favourite year for retirements Nathan can then easily fit onto the list for 2010.

PS: How long can a player be on scholarship for?Nathan Gordon - fit as a bull but no skills. Jackson Potter (son of Katrina Lee and Harry Potter) dominates low level 15's footy, has fab left foot but nothing else. Will get found out early on. Jack Lynch can win the ball but has abysmal skills. Atrocious. Maybe at some point Maxfield will realise that you need to dispose of the ball properly to be any use. Maxfield of all people ! With the left foot that could pierce steel. It seems like Jayson Daniels is heading up our recruiting. There were about 12 players who should've been scholarshipped ahead of these players but they weren't in the "system".

Bas
5th December 2008, 11:36 PM
All pretty much mid fielders. Is there a limit for scholarship height?

shaun..
6th December 2008, 10:50 PM
All pretty much mid fielders. Is there a limit for scholarship height?
Nope thats the Swans' limit on height :p

BSA5
6th December 2008, 10:58 PM
So are Mitch and Matt May brothers? Cousins? What? I'd love to see some family connections at the Swans. I can't remember the last time we had two brothers playing at the same time.

liz
6th December 2008, 11:15 PM
So are Mitch and Matt May brothers? Cousins? What? I'd love to see some family connections at the Swans. I can't remember the last time we had two brothers playing at the same time.

MickyO and RickyO were most recent, if I am not mistaken.

But we've had a few cousins in fairly recent times. Jason and Daniel McPherson, DannyO and RyanO, and of course, MickyO and Goodsey claim to be cousins of some description.

BSA5
7th December 2008, 12:37 AM
MickyO and RickyO were most recent, if I am not mistaken.

But we've had a few cousins in fairly recent times. Jason and Daniel McPherson, DannyO and RyanO, and of course, MickyO and Goodsey claim to be cousins of some description.

Yeah, Micky and Ricky would be the last. Did Ricky ever get a game? It was a little before my time.

Yeah, a few cousins, though DOK and ROK are second or third cousins, and Goodesy and Mickey I've never seen specified.

I want a brother to brother combo going!

goswannie14
7th December 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, Micky and Ricky would be the last. Did Ricky ever get a game? It was a little before my time.

Yeah, a few cousins, though DOK and ROK are second or third cousins, and Goodesy and Mickey I've never seen specified.

I want a brother to brother combo going!So you'll be voicing support for a Tassie team then?:D

BSA5
8th December 2008, 08:02 PM
Gordon hits season two running - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=70690)

Interesting! Won the 3 km time trial, ahead of the likes of McVeigh. Very promising, although endurance alone does not a footy player make.

Also has a twin brother. See above! :D

ugg
24th December 2008, 11:05 AM
http://bega.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/footballers-may-do-it/1393333.aspx?storypage=0

Confirmation that Matt and Mitch May are brothers. Interesting connection to Ed Barlow too.

Dalai Lama
24th December 2008, 11:50 AM
they might go a nice cheese platter for the festive frivolity....

ScottH
14th March 2009, 01:23 PM
From the Sydney Swans NSW Scholarship Brochure that I got on Thursday nite.

Nathan Gordon - 18 - East Coast Eagles.
An elite endurance athlete who has impressed in his first senior AFL pre-season. Nathan was an important member of the Swans Reserves 2008 Premiership team. Nathan has impressive running skills and contesting marking ability.

Ryan Bottin-Noonan - 17 - Campbelltown
Another elite endurance athlete whowas the swans first scholarship selection in 2007. Ryan played key defensive role for the Swans Reserves 2008 Premiership team. Ryan will play a vital role for NSW at the National U18 Championships in 2009.

Matt May - 17 - Bega HS - Tathra FC
Matt has impressed with his pace, ball winning ability and goal kicking. Played numerous games in the Reserves last year and will play a more permanent role this year.

Joshua Nati - 15 - SCEGGS - St Ives FC
Josh is an extremely gifted sportsman who has excelled in numerous sports at State level. He has played for NSW in both basketball and tennis and has all the attributes to excel in AFL. He is an extremely exciting prospect.

Jay Lewis - 16 - Terrigal HS - Pennant Hills Demons
A versatile and young player who is blessed with great endurance, vertical leap and a tremendous work ethic. He will play a number of games for the reserves in 2009.

Blake Guthrie - 15 - Picnic Point HS - Bankstown DS JARFC
Blake is a tough, disciplined and hardworking midfielder with great skills and an elite endurance base. He will be participating in the U16 Rams program this year.

Nathan Kenny - 15 Magdalene Catholic HS - Camden
Nathan is a hard running, skilful and clever midfielder / half forward who has impressed with his discipline, hard work and commitment to the scholarship program.

Jack Lynch - 16 - St Ignatius College, Riverview
An impressive athlete with both elite endurance and speed. He holds State Cross Country and high Jump records at the College level and is a member of the NSW State basketball team. With good height, elite athletic credentials and being extremely competitive, he has all the characteristics to become a senior AFL player.

Jackson Potter - 16 - Redfield Colege - Pennant Hills U18s
An absolute standout player for his age group in AFL in Sydney. He is a tough, competitive and highly skilled midfielder who has made All Australian selection at the U15 National Carnival in Melbourne 2008. A fantastic young man who is willing to do whatever it takes to play senior AFL.

Mitchell May - 15 - Bega HS - Tathra FC
Mitchell is an extremely tall player with great mobility and outstanding skills. As a key marking forward, he first came under notice at the V/Line carnival in Melbourne 2008 and promises to be an exciting player of the future.

connolly
14th March 2009, 01:32 PM
http://bega.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/footballers-may-do-it/1393333.aspx?storypage=0

Confirmation that Matt and Mitch May are brothers. Interesting connection to Ed Barlow too.

There is a gaggle Cheese Barlow type kids running around the Far South Coast comp

Triple B
14th March 2009, 02:14 PM
Thx Scott.

You orta sticky that list somewhere in the Reserves section for our reference during the year.

goswannies
14th March 2009, 04:35 PM

I want a brother to brother combo going!

Ricky only played senior footy at the Crows not Sydney. He went back to play for the Port Magpies in the SANFL, and now I think plays in some regional comp in SA.

goswannies
14th March 2009, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=liz;422831]MickyO and RickyO were most recent, if I am not mistaken.

But we've had a few cousins in fairly recent times. Jason and Daniel McPherson, DannyO and RyanO [QUOTE]

Daniel and Ryan are cousins about 80 times removed! ie not first cousins.

We've had the 3 Morwoods, 2 of the 4 Danihers (3 if you consider Neil was cleared sight-un-seen), Barry Mitchell and his brother Trevor (who never player senior footy), I think Mark Bayes had a younger brother who played reserves with the Swans or U19s (but I might be wrong). Robbie & Matty AhMatt were cousins.

goswannies
14th March 2009, 04:47 PM
Nathan Gordon - fit as a bull but no skills. Jackson Potter (son of Katrina Lee and Harry Potter) dominates low level 15's footy, has fab left foot but nothing else. Will get found out early on. Jack Lynch can win the ball but has abysmal skills. Atrocious.

That's a pretty harsh assessment. We're talking about 15/16yo kids! I hope none of them (or their family or friends) are Swans fans and read any of those comments.

BSA5
16th May 2009, 02:40 PM
Any more news on the Scholarship kids? Are Matt May and Bottin-Noonan eligible to be drafted this year?

Pace To Burn
16th May 2009, 02:53 PM
Ricky only played senior footy at the Crows not Sydney. He went back to play for the Port Magpies in the SANFL, and now I think plays in some regional comp in SA.

Ricky is currently Player/Coach of East Wagga in the RFL

Primmy
16th May 2009, 04:14 PM
That's a pretty harsh assessment. We're talking about 15/16yo kids! I hope none of them (or their family or friends) are Swans fans and read any of those comments.

Good call - and I agree, these kids have improved bitg time while I have been watching them this year, especially Gordon and Botton-Noonan (we gotta have a nickname for that kid!). GS must have been in a bad mood that day:D

Bas
17th May 2009, 01:31 AM
Can we hyphenate the nickname?

I always wondered what would happen if two people with hyphenated surnames wanted to get married?

Perhaps marriage of future off spring from present team could produce Jolly-Goodes or what about Jolly-Jack or Jack-Bird.

Gets silly.

ugg
17th May 2009, 01:33 AM

I always wondered what would happen if two people with hyphenated surnames wanted to get married?

Perhaps marriage of future off spring from present team could produce Jolly-Goodes or what about Jolly-Jack or Jack-Bird.

Gets silly.
There was a recent case (in Germany I think?) where the court prevented the use of a triple-barrelled surname.

BSA5
17th May 2009, 02:15 AM

Gets silly.

If Bottin-Noonan get's drafted....

Roberts-Thomson-Bottin-Noonan! Now THAT'S a name you could yell out! :cool:

Reggi
17th May 2009, 09:07 AM

But we've had a few cousins in fairly recent times. Jason and Daniel McPherson, DannyO and RyanO [QUOTE]

We've had the 3 Morwoods, 2 of the 4 Danihers (3 if you consider Neil was cleared sight-un-seen), Barry Mitchell and his brother Trevor (who never player senior footy), I think Mark Bayes had a younger brother who played reserves with the Swans or U19s (but I might be wrong). Robbie & Matty AhMatt were cousins.

We also had Anson Brownless, brother of Billy, Simon Atkins twin brother Paul, and Anthony Stevens brother, can't remember his name

ugg
17th May 2009, 11:09 AM

It was reported in the press they were 2nd cousins (i.e. same great-grandparents). The term removed refers to the differing generations, so you're saying Ryan is the brother of Daniel's great-great-great (x80) grandfather :)

ROK Lobster
17th May 2009, 11:17 AM
Ryan is the brother of Daniel's great-great-great (x80) grandfather :)He is a little bit older.

dimelb
17th May 2009, 12:07 PM

Gets silly.
Barry-Hall.

ItsAllGoodes
19th May 2009, 01:51 PM
4 new scholarship players

Four new faces at the Swans - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/77079/default.aspx)

johnno
19th May 2009, 03:43 PM
If Bottin-Noonan get's drafted....

Roberts-Thomson-Bottin-Noonan! Now THAT'S a name you could yell out! :cool:

We cant have a kid on our team with a name Like Bottin-Noonan can we. You know whats going to happen if/when he does get a senior guernsey, the same thing that happens to Lurch. Commentators never say..."and Roberts-Thompson has the ball and kick wide", they always pronounce his name in full..."and Lewis Roberts-Thompson has the ball and kicks wide" listen carefully next time and you will see, I mean hear... umm you know what I mean.

BSA5
19th May 2009, 03:58 PM
4 new scholarship players

Four new faces at the Swans - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/77079/default.aspx)

I love how in the photo, they've attempted to make the scholarship kids look as tall as the senior players! You can tell by the height their knees are at that they're standing on something! :D

TheGong
19th May 2009, 05:16 PM
I love how in the photo, they've attempted to make the scholarship kids look as tall as the senior players! You can tell by the height their knees are at that they're standing on something! :D

Maybe not. A little bit of searching found their heights and weights at the U15 trials earlier this year.

Harry Butchart 190 77
Mitch Crawford 180 62
Stephen Wray 178 68
Daniel Robinson 176 73

Pretty tall kids for 14 and 15 year olds. Also, when boys grow they grow outside in - their shins and forearms first, then their thighs and upper arms and finally their trunks and spines. They look like all arms and legs at this age.

dimelb
19th May 2009, 05:38 PM
We cant have a kid on our team with a name Like Bottin-Noonan can we. You know whats going to happen if/when he does get a senior guernsey, the same thing that happens to Lurch. Commentators never say..."and Roberts-Thompson has the ball and kick wide", they always pronounce his name in full..."and Lewis Roberts-Thompson has the ball and kicks wide" listen carefully next time and you will see, I mean hear... umm you know what I mean.
Except when they say (as per the other night) Robert Lewis-Thompson.

DST
19th May 2009, 10:16 PM
Really confirms the club has changed it's thinking around the NSW rookies and now considers the scholarship program a better and more direct route.

Firstly it's cheaper and it also gives the club the chance to work with the kids for a much longer period before they might be drafted or rookied to work on things like game development, skills and technique.

Will still be a case for adding NSW rookies, for anyone that slips through but more and more we will be getting these kids at 14 or 15 on the scholarship program.

Would love to see the Swans to be allowed and even greater number so they could field an entire junior side themselves, say under 16/s with the older scholarship kids playing in the reserves for the final part of their development.

DST
:D

Primmy
19th May 2009, 11:49 PM
Maybe not. A little bit of searching found their heights and weights at the U15 trials earlier this year.

Harry Butchart 190 77
Mitch Crawford 180 62
Stephen Wray 178 68
Daniel Robinson 176 73

Pretty tall kids for 14 and 15 year olds. Also, when boys grow they grow outside in - their shins and forearms first, then their thighs and upper arms and finally their trunks and spines. They look like all arms and legs at this age.

Like a paddock of colts, all elbows and knees. :rolleyes: And then you get the little bulldogs and terriors, low centred and blocky :p I love this game, everyone gets a go.

ugg
19th May 2009, 11:57 PM
Some nicknames

Butch
Crawf
Fay
and Crusoe?

Primmy
20th May 2009, 08:45 AM
Some nicknames

Butch
Crawf
Fay
and Crusoe?

NO-one is going to understand Fay! Unfortunately I do, the kids won't.

Butch looks like a given. Crawf too. Warren? (Wray Warren...). Friday?

dimelb
20th May 2009, 08:58 AM
Stephen Wray aka "Death"?

johnno
20th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Except when they say (as per the other night) Robert Lewis-Thompson.

Yeh, I heard that too.

bandwagon
20th May 2009, 04:24 PM
Stephen Wray aka "Death"?

Gold!

Reggi
8th May 2010, 03:35 PM
Wondering how many Scholarship players we ended up with

Lucky Knickers
8th May 2010, 08:32 PM
NO-one is going to understand Fay! Unfortunately I do, the kids won't.

Butch looks like a given. Crawf too. Warren? (Wray Warren...). Friday?

Cmon you only need to have seen Rock Horror.
X-WRAY?
WRAY GUN?

ugg
9th May 2010, 01:21 AM
Wondering how many Scholarship players we ended up with
From last year, Nathan Gordon's graduated onto the rookie list. Ryan Bottin-Noonan wasn't picked up. Matt May also played some reserves games last year, looks like he's no longer there.

This year we've had Blake Guthrie, Jackson Potter, Mitch May, Jay Lewis play in the reserves and Harry Butchart named before being withdrawn.

Current list, last updated in April

Swans: Jay Lewis, Nathan Kenny, Jackson Potter, Blake Guthrie, Jack Lynch, Mitchell May, Mitchell Crawford, Stephen Wray, Harrison Butchart, Daniel RobinsonAFL NSW ACT - SportingPulse (http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-4710-0-0-0&sID=55526&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11879078&sectionID=55526)

plus the inaugural Academy member Perris was also classified as a Scholarship recipient.

Reggi
19th June 2010, 10:55 AM
Any of these scholorship kids look likely for AFL level. Curious given some will have had a run at ACTAFL level. None seem to be playing for the NSW state side though which does not seem to bode well at all?

Traditionally been made up of kids from the riverina though

wearebloods
19th June 2010, 05:25 PM
Any of these scholarship kids look likely for AFL level. Curious given some will have had a run at ACTAFL level. None seem to be playing for the NSW state side though which does not seem to bode well at all?
Too young for U18. Mitchell Crawford, Stephen Wray, Harrison Butchart, Daniel Robinson are in the RAMS U16 Squad.

Wouldn't get too excited about the current crop, if they make it, that will be icing on the cake.

It's the kids who survive 4-5 years in the Academy breeding program that are more likely to be worth jumping up and down about :cool:

unconfuseme
21st June 2010, 12:02 AM
Hard to say how good they are, due to the politics around selections for state teams, etc. in recent years.

AFL NSW/ACT should just be renamed GWS to avoid confusion.

It seems that if you are in any way aligned with the Swans you are persona non grata so far as AFL development in NSW is concerned.

The Swans Scholarship boys are not considered at all for the GWS TAC Cup team, and the RAMS as is tradition, are generally run by the Riverina interests (especially since the intro of the Scholarship Program, and the divsion that was caused with ACT & Riverina kids being ineligible). These traditional Swans breeding grounds are of course now zoned to GWS as well ...

In saying that, and whilst it would be nice to see them playing against the best u/18's from all over Vic and Australia, most of them who have had a few runs with the Ressies seem to have done OK, and or are performing consistently well at Sydney AFL or u/18's level.

Keep in mind most of them still have at least another 18 months of their scholarship to go (still 15,16 & 17 y.o.'s)

They also have the advantage of being "in the system" for that period, as Bird and Gordon showed, that is very helpful if they are good enough.

As it is a "Development" program, the question wont be answered till they are 18 y.o. or older.

I also agree that the Academy Program, which is identifying athletes and developing skills from an earlier age and in greater numbers, will definitely produce results.