PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Grant, 300 games and retirement

ItsAllGoodes
26th August 2008, 04:44 PM
Whilst some may see this guy as a traitor its still appropriate to acknowledge a former Swan (1996 GF player) who went on to achieve considerable success at the Kangaroos and this weekend plays his 300th game, is set to play in another Finals series and has just announced he will retire at the end of the season

Well done Shannon Grant

Official Website of the Australian Football League > NEWS ARTICLE > Shannon Grant calls it quits (http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66308)

AnnieH
26th August 2008, 04:54 PM
Traitor.

(Should have stayed at the Swans.)

Lohengrin
26th August 2008, 04:57 PM
Traitor.Like Hall, Williams, Schauble, Ball, etc...?

Grant was a fine player for us and a great player for North. An excellent career.

ItsAllGoodes
26th August 2008, 05:33 PM
And don't forget Schwass, who we got in the swap for Grant.
At least in the short term (3-4 years) it was a win-win for both teams.

Whilst I would love every player who goes to Sydney to stay there and become 300-game players, that isn't the reality of modern football

He gave the Sydney experience a chance and wanted to come home to VIC...I dont blame him for that. And at that early stage of his career he wouldnt have been chasing $$$$

Industrial Fan
26th August 2008, 05:39 PM
I'd like to thank him for getting capsicum sprayed at a Lionel Ritchie concert.

Funniest football news for some time (and it was last year).

Hellooo....

cruiser
26th August 2008, 05:51 PM
Swans supporters are too forgiving. He's a sooky mummy's boy and I hate the traitor (in a football hate way ;) ), especially as he always seems to play well against us. Good riddance.

Triple B
26th August 2008, 06:25 PM
Swans supporters are too forgiving. He's a sooky mummy's boy and I hate the traitor (in a football hate way ;) ), especially as he always seems to play well against us. Good riddance.

Not completely accurate.

His Mum and brother both moved to Sydney and stayed with him the whole time. He stayed an extra year after his original compulsory 2 year deal finished, unlike Rocca who was out of the joint in a flash as soon as his 2nd year finished.

He just decided he wanted to return to his mates and life in Melbourne. We brokered a reasonable deal in the end. At the time it was a win/win, but we always knew eventually North would be getting the better of the deal provided Shagga stayed injury free and became the 10 year player he has with North.

Lucky Knickers
26th August 2008, 06:49 PM
I never had much of an issue with Grant. I thought he always played really well for us and was sad to see him go.
Good to see he's had a great career at North.
Best of luck to him.

ScottH
26th August 2008, 08:01 PM
There was a documentary about that draft and followed a few players fortunes. One of which was Grant.
He and his family were devastated and quite angry that Sydney had selected him.

Good on him for giving us a good couple of years, before jumping ship.

cruiser
26th August 2008, 08:25 PM
Not completely accurate.

His Mum and brother both moved to Sydney and stayed with him the whole time.
His mummy moved to Sydney with him! That's a mummy's boy. It's pathetic. Was he still tied by his umbilical cord? :rolleyes:

ScottH
26th August 2008, 08:27 PM
especially as he always seems to play well against us. Good riddance. Except when the Bevanator is on him. ;)

Lohengrin
26th August 2008, 08:40 PM
His mummy moved to Sydney with him! That's a mummy's boy. It's pathetic. Was he still tied by his umbilical cord? :rolleyes:Seems pathetic to ridicule someone who wants to be with their family and obviously has a close bond with them, especially when he would have been 17 or 18 at the time.

Darren Thomson
26th August 2008, 09:07 PM
No escaping the reality that this guy was a good player who developed well while at Sydney and was indeed a great loss. Good on him for his career. I don't care if he brings his Teddy Bear to games if he plays good footy and is good to watch, on the other hand, I wish he had played the 300 here

cruiser
26th August 2008, 09:07 PM
Seems pathetic to ridicule someone who wants to be with their family and obviously has a close bond with them, especially when he would have been 17 or 18 at the time. He was born in April 77. He was 20 years old when he sooked back to Melbourne holding mummy's hand. I sure as hell wasnt being looked after by my mother when I was 20, or 19, or 18. Then again, when I was at school kids weren't being picked up from school by a convoy of clutching parents in 4WDs, so maybe my independent attitude is generational.

Lohengrin
26th August 2008, 09:16 PM
He was born in April 77. He was 20 years old when he sooked back to Melbourne holding mummy's hand. I sure as hell wasnt being looked after by my mother when I was 20, or 19, or 18. Then again, when I was at school kids weren't being picked up from school by a convoy of clutching parents in 4WDs, so maybe my independent attitude is generational.
When he came to Sydney he was only 17, which was when his family came to Sydney with him. Most 17-20 year olds still live at home.

He chose to move back home to Melbourne to be with friends and family, which happens with a lot of people in all walks of life.

You seem to be adding something harsh that doesn't seem to be there. I don't see the point.

reigning premier
26th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Enjoyed watching him play whilst he was with us, and since. Put his heart and soul in for us when he was in the Red & White and when he did leave, it was done in a professional manner and he can be justifiably proud of the way he left the club.

I can't help but think that if had of stayed, perhaps there would be another cup sitting next to that 2005 edition.

Best of luck to you Shannon.

i'm-uninformed2
27th August 2008, 10:19 AM
I heard he still sucks his thumb

SMFC
31st August 2008, 03:48 AM
Decent footballer, he copped a sweet second Grand Final loss in 1998, then got the win and the Norm Smith in 1999.

Typical of playing at North, would've got larger raps at another Melbourne club.

AussieAnge
31st August 2008, 05:31 PM
I didn't mind Shagger, could play, left under good terms, would have liked to have seen him play longer in red and white.

top40
3rd September 2008, 08:01 PM
....especially as he always seems to play well against us. .

Although he missed a sitter for goal in that 2006 thriller in Canberra. The miss probably costs the Kangaroos the game.