PDA

View Full Version : Nikki's fantasies...

Cheer Squad
26th August 2008, 10:10 PM
Nikki Tugwell believes we're in with a good chance in the first elimination final if we play Adelaide in Adelaide.

Pressure on Swans to perform | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24241831-5017479,00.html)

robbieando
26th August 2008, 10:17 PM
Nikki Tugwell believes we're in with a good chance in the first elimination final if we play Adelaide in Adelaide.

Is she somehow forgetting our record against the Crows under Paul Roos??

We have only beaten them once since Roos took over midway though 2002 and that would not look like changing if we were to play the Crows in Week 1 of the Finals - ANYWHERE.

Xie Shan
26th August 2008, 10:53 PM
Oddly, we've actually gotten closer to beating the Crows in Adelaide than at the SCG under Roos!

Our last 3 visits there (to play the Crows) have seen defeats by 4 points (2003), 7 points (2005) and 17 points (2007). The last 2 games were lost by poor kicking, 5.14 and 6.11.

So not out of the question!

Plugger46
26th August 2008, 10:58 PM
Strangely enough they'd probably be my preference.

hot potato
26th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Met her flying to Perth in 05 for a final, she's on the ball. Good on you Nikii.

Legs Akimbo
27th August 2008, 06:44 AM
SIX out of six ain't bad. In fact, it is unprecedented.

In five days time, the Sydney Swans will begin their sixth consecutive finals tilt under coach Paul Roos, a feat that no other team in the AFL can boast.

WTF? Other teams have done this before and better (e.g Westcast in 90s). Maybe she is saying no team can boast of having done the feat under Paul Roos. Or is it that he is 6/6 (i.e. his boast not the team)

Clearly I am missing something. :confused:

bloodboy
27th August 2008, 07:29 AM
WTF? Other teams have done this before and better (e.g Westcast in 90s). Maybe she is saying no team can boast of having done the feat under Paul Roos. Or is it that he is 6/6 (i.e. his boast not the team)

Clearly I am missing something. :confused:

Maybe she talking currently. I would believe that we are the only team, at present, who is entering our 6th straight finals campaign. Is pretty good really...

Wardy
27th August 2008, 08:14 AM
I have always said that we have been extremely lucky that we havent met Adelaide in the finals - they are our bogey team. Sure the margin is getting closer, but that still isnt a win against them. Our boys have to lift their game 200% to have any chance of advancing past the first week.

Lohengrin
27th August 2008, 10:16 AM
I have always said that we have been extremely lucky that we havent met Adelaide in the finals - they are our bogey team. Agreed. Amazingly that in our two best years - 05 and 06 - we both finished top 4 and yet we managed to miss them both times. Very lucky!

I don't know what Nikki is on about with her "SIX out of six ain't bad. In fact, it is unprecedented". Plenty of teams have done that (and much longer besides). Hawthorn even made 7/7 GFs!! If she's talking about the only team currently that can boast that then yes, it is a great feat, but she should have used another word!

If the Swans draw Adelaide in Adelaide in the first elimination final, they are not without a good chance of progressing whereby they could run into a side such as North Melbourne or Western Bulldogs.

Suddenly, despite the Swans indifferent form over the past two months, they are an even-money shot at winning through to a preliminary final.

It is not beyond them.
We all like to hope but there is nothing really to suggest this is true.

ROK Lobster
27th August 2008, 10:36 AM
they are an even-money shot at winning through to a preliminary finalHope she's not an SP bookie on the side. Reckon she would give me even money on them not playing in a Prelim?

reigning premier
27th August 2008, 12:29 PM
Hope she's not an SP bookie on the side. Reckon she would give me even money on them not playing in a Prelim?

Get a Gorilla on that one!

dimelb
27th August 2008, 01:29 PM
Of course we could beat Adelaide - what did we kick against them last time? 6.17?!?! But we have to get there first.

hammo
27th August 2008, 03:26 PM
None of these options are that appetising:

* Collingwood who we've lost 6 times in a row to.

* The Crows who we've beaten just once under Paul Roos

* St Kilda at Telstra Dome having not beaten the Saints there since 2000 and having lost 5 from our last 6 at TD.

The Big Cat
27th August 2008, 04:20 PM
None of these options are that appetising:

* Collingwood who we've lost 6 times in a row to.

* The Crows who we've beaten just once under Paul Roos

* St Kilda at Telstra Dome having not beaten the Saints there since 2000 and having lost 5 from our last 6 at TD.

Then let's hope we play North. At least we got a draw (morally a win since Kirk kicked that goal!). And don' mention the 19 men bulldust since Jolly was dragged off (when the Swans realised White was on somewhere) and this left McIntosh alone on the HBF to mark the kick in after we had attacked solidly for 10 minutes. Jesse White actually SAVED North from a loss!

connolly
27th August 2008, 06:21 PM

Pressure on Swans to perform | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24241831-5017479,00.html)

Go you good girl. At last some optimism! As Al Barr of the Dropkick Murphy's sang in Amazing Grace:

You believe
Dont ya?
Well you believe in Santa Claus
Keep the faith you guys.

Bob Neil
27th August 2008, 09:29 PM
The truth lies in her surname.

Darren Thomson
27th August 2008, 10:57 PM
The truth lies in her surname.

You would have to hope so:D

JF_Bay22_SCG
28th August 2008, 12:51 AM
Is she somehow forgetting our record against the Crows under Paul Roos??

We have only beaten them once since Roos took over midway though 2002 and that would not look like changing if we were to play the Crows in Week 1 of the Finals - ANYWHERE.

Nikki Tugwell is systematic of one of the problems of AFL journalism in Sydney. Writes puff pieces of talk-up waffle about the Swans & AFL & basically says things that show she has no idea herself. She is not alone.

Tim Morrissey is another one who has little idea of the code either. Is an ex basketballer who thinks he can write about AFL. I rember MikeB & JS GregB & myself were on a plane back from a game in Brisbane saying how crap Jason Saddington was & how he'd not be a great loss to the team after getting injured. Morrissey's whole article the next day was about the very same thing. He had been listening to what we were talking about & was almost quoting us verbatim. :rolleyes:

Under what circumstances would Nikki see us as being competitive against our Number 1 bogey team. All this considering our record of late against them. All this considering the fact that Adelaide were in a major slump when we last played them, at home mind you, and still managed to beat us yet again yet again.

The thing is about AFL journalists in Sydney is that if they actually wrote something that is hard-hitting & asks serious questions of the Swans (like Jeff Wells used to write), the Swans club gets all huffy & starts squawking that they can't sell their 'product' if people read articles that don't portray them in a positive light. :rolleyes:

JF

dazza
29th August 2008, 02:19 PM
Did you guys forget who we played in the 2005 prelim final and where it was played ?

We played against the Saints at the telstra dome if my memory serves me correctly and beat them to get into the 2005 afl grand final so we have beaten st kilda at the telstra dome since 2000

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure that we did not play them at the mcg that year

goswannie14
29th August 2008, 02:21 PM
Did you guys forget who we played in the 2005 prelim final and where it was played ?

We played against the Saints at the telstra dome if my memory serves me correctly and beat them to get into the 2005 afl grand final so we have beaten st kilda at the telstra dome since 2000

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure that we did not play them at the mcg that year
I'm correcting you, because it was at the MCG. Friday night.

Wardy
29th August 2008, 02:22 PM

it was actually the MCG.

ScottH
29th August 2008, 02:25 PM
it was actually the MCG.

On a Friday, I believe! ;)

Wardy
29th August 2008, 02:30 PM
On a Friday, I believe! ;)

correctamundo Kenny!;) I cant understand how anyone could forget that. Top night it was - we were in the pub at Fox Studios hoping our GrandFinal ticket line plan would be put into action - by 3/4 time we were little bit edgy - but by the final siren - that was it - the lineup beckoned!!!

hammo
29th August 2008, 02:30 PM
The thing is about AFL journalists in Sydney is that if they actually wrote something that is hard-hitting & asks serious questions of the Swans (like Jeff Wells used to write), the Swans club gets all huffy & starts squawking that they can't sell their 'product' if people read articles that don't portray them in a positive light. :rolleyes:

JF
Spot on JF. Your point is illustrated this week with the critical articles written by the Melbourne based journos Greg Baum and co, compared to the Morrissey puff pieces with Goodes saying the Swans really aren't as bad as what everyone thinks they are. There are no Sydney based journos capable (or willing?) to write a critical article on the Swans.

dazza
29th August 2008, 02:31 PM
MCG or Telstra Dome ?

What is the difference ? We beat the Saints in 2005 in the prelim final

We can beat them at the Telstra Dome.They are not an unbeatable team

I would rather play them in Melbourne than play North or Adelaide in Adelaide where the Swans have struggled or the pies

I have a feeling that we will be playing the pies again and get knocked out by them again in the first week

If you look at this weeks draw and see who is playing who the odds of us playing the pies are extremely high

Even if the pies win they will be 2 points ahead of us on the ladder

Adelaide will beat the bulldogs and you would think that the Saints will beat the Dons by plenty but not enough to make up the percentage

So North beats port and grabs 4th

St Kilda will finish 6th with Adelaide 7th and the Swans will finish in 8th spot on 50 points

We need to hope that the pies lose to the dockers tonight and if we win then we may still get a home final if either Adelaide lose or Saints lose

We will know where we stand more on Saturday afternoon

Of course if North lose then it makes it interesting as then we can still get 4th spot if Saints lose to the bombers.Unlikely to happen though

We will not be playing against the Saints or Adelaide

Bob Neil
29th August 2008, 09:11 PM

For me, it was on TV. What a night. Nearly brings a tear to my eye. We were supposed to lose but the boys played to win, not just go down trying. I can still picture ROK in Q4. Booked flights to Melb after we kicked the first few goals - the tide had swung, there was no turning back. Didn't even have any way of getting tickets to the GF....

Aw shucks, you got me started.

Dazza - you are probably right - bound to be embarrassed by Colliwobbles again. Need to play as many young-un's as possible if we meet them again.

dazza
30th August 2008, 10:14 AM
Well after the embarrassment that the pies put on display last night against the fremantle shockers we may get a home final after all

Part 1 is complete and now we need the crows and the saints and the kangas to all lose to teams that you would not expect and we can still finish in 4th spot and have a crack at the cats

I can not see the kangaroos losing to port adelaide in melbourne but I did not think the pies would lose to the shockers so anything is still possible

We must beat the lions and hope that either adelaide or st kilda lose

If all of the three teams lose then we will be playing geelong and get the double chance

We will know by 7pm if we have a shot at 4th but then will probably be surrendering it anyway if saints win

Cheer Squad
30th August 2008, 10:41 AM
Well after the embarrassment that the pies put on display last night against the fremantle shockers we may get a home final after all

Part 1 is complete and now we need the crows and the saints and the kangas to all lose to teams that you would not expect and we can still finish in 4th spot and have a crack at the cats

I can not see the kangaroos losing to port adelaide in melbourne but I did not think the pies would lose to the shockers so anything is still possible

We must beat the lions and hope that either adelaide or st kilda lose

If all of the three teams lose then we will be playing geelong and get the double chance

We will know by 7pm if we have a shot at 4th but then will probably be surrendering it anyway if saints win

I'm not surprised that Collingwood lost to Fremantle. The Dockers have been playing well lately. It's only us that makes Collingwood look like world-beaters.