PDA

View Full Version : Get Lovett

cressakel
27th August 2008, 11:43 AM
I have read that Andrew Lovett is on the skids at the Bombouts and they may seek a trade. I believe we could turn this bloke into a genuine star in the midfield given time.

The Swans have a more than successfull track record with wayward footballers not reaching their potential and we all know we need to find some pace and skill in the midfield.

I believe Ben Cousins doesn't really fit into the Swans plans or criteria and Daniel Kerr is probably heading to a Melbourne based club - not to mention the price WCE will place on his head - therefore I believe the Swans should 'Get Lovett' from the quality midfielders that may be available !!

If not Lovett, Michael Rischatelli is another option. Lovett and Rischa would be nice....

Snake
27th August 2008, 12:10 PM
I have read that Andrew Lovett is on the skids at the Bombouts and they may seek a trade. I believe we could turn this bloke into a genuine star in the midfield given time.

The Swans have a more than successfull track record with wayward footballers not reaching their potential and we all know we need to find some pace and skill in the midfield.

I believe Ben Cousins doesn't really fit into the Swans plans or criteria and Daniel Kerr is probably heading to a Melbourne based club - not to mention the price WCE will place on his head - therefore I believe the Swans should 'Get Lovett' from the quality midfielders that may be available !!

If not Lovett, Michael Rischatelli is another option. Lovett and Rischa would be nice....

I agree, I think he has huge potential.

dimelb
27th August 2008, 01:34 PM
The Lovett idea is worth considering, but we can forget Rischitelli, he won't be going anywhere.

caj23
27th August 2008, 01:40 PM
No thanks for fhe following reasons:

1. lack of committment to football
2. lack of consistency
3. headcase who physically assaulted, stalked and threatened his girlfriend (this alone should be enough)
4. the bombers who are crying out for quick midfielders dont even want him
5. with draft picks at a premium this year we shouldn't be trading any for middle of the road players

hammo
27th August 2008, 01:53 PM
We don't need a headcase like Lovett at the Swans.

cressakel
27th August 2008, 02:44 PM

2. lack of consistency
3. headcase who physically assaulted, stalked and threatened his girlfriend (this alone should be enough)
5. with draft picks at a premium this year we shouldn't be trading any for middle of the road players

When the Swans took Lockett on-board, points 1 & 3 (rumour & innuedo re assaulting his then girlfriend - now wife - outside the St.Kilda Social Club on more than one occasion) above were part of his resume' at the time. Now look what happened to Big Tony over the years - re-committed himself to the game and, from all reports, became a good husband & father.

A trade to Sydney is all Lovett needs to focus his obvious talents on becoming a committed, consistent, outstanding and model footballer/citizen a la Plugger.

Draft picks at a premium this year is a load of crap and a lottery as to what you are going to get !! Fact is our first round pick will take 2-4 years to be any good (if at all) and if we head totally down the youth route we will be bottom or near the bottom in 2-3 years time. By that time, we will not able to benefit from the draft (ie. picks 1, 2, 3 or 4) as the two new teams will have the monolopy on the early picks. Therefore, I reckon we should load up on experienced, talented and/or out of contract footballers this season and hope that our current youngsters from previous and upcoming drafts come through with the goods....

NB: The Bombouts DO have a lot of young & quick midfielders at present. Problem is they are all young and consequently inconsistent - incl Lovett.

reigning premier
27th August 2008, 02:54 PM
Do we really have to have the "Sydney is the saviour of bad boys" conversation again?

We've done OK but then again, Nick Davis was an apparent bad boy that we couldn't straighten out.

And no, let's not start on the whole Nick Davis thing either.

For once, let's stick to the facts and not the rumours and FFS, stay on topic.

Industrial Fan
27th August 2008, 02:54 PM
I'd take Dyson. They can keep Lovett thanks.

reigning premier
27th August 2008, 03:17 PM

Thank you.... :adore

And yes, he looks to go OK doesn't he?

originalswan
27th August 2008, 03:22 PM
Lovett is definitely a player we should look into when the trade period begins. I wouldn't simply close my eyes and go for him but obviously do the due diligence that is required when you seek any player from other teams.

The pros of getting Lovett would be a fast, hard and fairly skillful player who is ready made for senior footy, the cons are something the club would have to look at and I'm unfortunately not in a position to confirm.

This type of player could be turned around, and as discussed we have had positive results from similar trades where players seemed to be stagnating/uncommitted at their clubs only to come to the Swans and become positive contributors (including Davis).

Triple B
27th August 2008, 03:24 PM

Thank you.... :adore

And yes, he looks to go OK doesn't he?

Dyson......poor, poor kick. Turnover merchant unfortunately. We have enough of them already.

caj23
27th August 2008, 04:23 PM
When the Swans took Lockett on-board, points 1 & 3 (rumour & innuedo re assaulting his then girlfriend - now wife - outside the St.Kilda Social Club on more than one occasion) above were part of his resume' at the time. Now look what happened to Big Tony over the years - re-committed himself to the game and, from all reports, became a good husband & father.

A trade to Sydney is all Lovett needs to focus his obvious talents on becoming a committed, consistent, outstanding and model footballer/citizen a la Plugger.

Draft picks at a premium this year is a load of crap and a lottery as to what you are going to get !! Fact is our first round pick will take 2-4 years to be any good (if at all) and if we head totally down the youth route we will be bottom or near the bottom in 2-3 years time. By that time, we will not able to benefit from the draft (ie. picks 1, 2, 3 or 4) as the two new teams will have the monolopy on the early picks. Therefore, I reckon we should load up on experienced, talented and/or out of contract footballers this season and hope that our current youngsters from previous and upcoming drafts come through with the goods....

NB: The Bombouts DO have a lot of young & quick midfielders at present. Problem is they are all young and consequently inconsistent - incl Lovett.

Big difference between rumour and innuendo versus a criminal convicition.

I suppose you'd be happy to bring in the league player who glassed his girlfriend on the weekend?

Plugger46
27th August 2008, 04:42 PM
Dyson......poor, poor kick. Turnover merchant unfortunately. We have enough of them already.

Agreed - he'd be one of the last players I'd take. Doesn't get enough of it and when he does get it, he butchers it.

Industrial Fan
27th August 2008, 05:05 PM
I had a quick look at his stats, as that's not how I saw him in the games I've seen him play.

Of his 250 odd disposals this year, he's had 75% effective. Which is not that shabby for a young player.

Robbo
27th August 2008, 05:27 PM
The bombers would want a 2nd round pick for him.

Who here would be willing to give up a pick in the 26-30 range to get him?

cressakel
27th August 2008, 05:30 PM
Big difference between rumour and innuendo versus a criminal convicition.

I suppose you'd be happy to bring in the league player who glassed his girlfriend on the weekend?

I could actually replace "rumour and innuendo" with fact however, I cannot be bothered boring you and others on RWO as to where I found out these facts and I feel letting the matter rest is the sensible option.

The point is many a current and past player at the Swans and the other 15 clubs has committed an illegal act - even minor - that has or hasn't been detected/caught and if we were to go down this precious path a number of available players in the AFL would not be worth pursuing.

Greg Bird plays Rugby League - why would I want the Swans to pursue this bloke as an AFL footballer.....

Are the Swans - and you - the protector's of what is right and moral in this world ?? I don't think so. Until we know the complete history and full story of Lovett (or any other footballer for that matter), I don't think we (or the Swans) should be passing judgement !!

goswannie14
27th August 2008, 05:30 PM
The bombers would want a 2nd round pick for him.

Who here would be willing to give up a pick in the 26-30 range to get him?As much as I want Davis at Sydney, could that be a possible trade, Lovett for Davis?

Robbo
27th August 2008, 05:33 PM
As much as I want Davis at Sydney, could that be a possible trade, Lovett for Davis?

Player for player trades aren't that common these days. Usually there are draft picks thrown in. I doubt Essendon would do that trade anyway.

connolly
27th August 2008, 06:41 PM
Player for player trades aren't that common these days. Usually there are draft picks thrown in. I doubt Essendon would do that trade anyway.

According to some here Davo is the greatest forward since John Coleman laced up the boots. Very appropriate to send him to Boot Hill

reigning premier
27th August 2008, 06:58 PM
According to some here Davo is the greatest forward since John Coleman laced up the boots. Very appropriate to send him to Boot Hill

What about Bevan? We could surely get a first rounder, $2m cash, and the mystery box.

goswannie14
27th August 2008, 07:30 PM
Player for player trades aren't that common these days. Usually there are draft picks thrown in. I doubt Essendon would do that trade anyway.Speculation, speculation, as is almost everything that is said on here about most things but particularly trades.

Darren Thomson
27th August 2008, 10:09 PM

Oh that's good I like it. Davo DAvo DAvo, wins one important game off his own boot and we owe him a lifetime of gratitude. I don't think so. Obviously the other Swans players(leadership group) have been thinking he belongs in the ressies, as does the coach, until he busted a fetlock. I'd love to see Nick showing off his obvious talent week in week out, but when is that going to happen. He's not getting any younger, coming back from seroius injury, probably eating some KFC as we speak(whatever). What next for poor old Davo? :confused:

BSA5
27th August 2008, 10:11 PM
Perhaps Lovett for Buchanan? The Bombers will possibly be looking for a hard, experienced body that's young enough to last them through their next Premiership window. The Bombers have a fair bit of pace already, especially with Davey to come back. Buchanan, while not all that quick, breaks the lines, is a ferocious tackler, and puts in plenty of 1 percenters. He has finals experience as well, which will be a plus. I'd be pretty happy with a trade like that, and I don't think the Bombers would mind either.

Jeffers1984
27th August 2008, 10:41 PM
Perhaps Lovett for Buchanan? The Bombers will possibly be looking for a hard, experienced body that's young enough to last them through their next Premiership window. The Bombers have a fair bit of pace already, especially with Davey to come back. Buchanan, while not all that quick, breaks the lines, is a ferocious tackler, and puts in plenty of 1 percenters. He has finals experience as well, which will be a plus. I'd be pretty happy with a trade like that, and I don't think the Bombers would mind either.

No way! We could snag Lovett for our 3rd rounder. Buchanan is worth more than Lovett alone.

There will be bidders for him but i would by really disappointed if we had to do away with more than a 3rd rounder for him (Lovett).

caj23
27th August 2008, 10:44 PM
The point is many a current and past player at the Swans and the other 15 clubs has committed an illegal act - even minor - that has or hasn't been detected/caught and if we were to go down this precious path a number of available players in the AFL would not be worth pursuing.

Greg Bird plays Rugby League - why would I want the Swans to pursue this bloke as an AFL footballer.....

Are the Swans - and you - the protector's of what is right and moral in this world ?? I don't think so. Until we know the complete history and full story of Lovett (or any other footballer for that matter), I don't think we (or the Swans) should be passing judgement !!

I'm sure Lovett's ex girlfriend didnt think it was "minor" when he slapped her around and sent threatening texts.

If Bird was an AFL footballer would you like him at the swans?

Darren Thomson
27th August 2008, 10:44 PM

I'd be more happy to keep Buchanan for the reasons you have given. Why trade someone who is an important part of the team for someone largely unknown to us. How does he fit? Is he that good, work hard enuf? Amon is a goer, keep him please

BSA5
28th August 2008, 12:16 AM
I'd be more happy to keep Buchanan for the reasons you have given. Why trade someone who is an important part of the team for someone largely unknown to us. How does he fit? Is he that good, work hard enuf? Amon is a goer, keep him please

When Amon plays in the midfield, he is Jude Bolton. When Amon plays forward, he is Veszpremi or Moore. We have him covered, in other words. We lack any analogue to Lovett.

BSA5
28th August 2008, 12:17 AM
No way! We could snag Lovett for our 3rd rounder. Buchanan is worth more than Lovett alone.

There will be bidders for him but i would by really disappointed if we had to do away with more than a 3rd rounder for him (Lovett).

Lovett for a 3rd rounder? Sheesh, I rate him way higher than that. If that's all we have to give for him, I'd be stoked.

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 12:40 AM
I'm Lovett's ex girlfriend didnt think it was "minor" when he slapped her around and sent threatening texts.

He told me you were begging for it and got what you deserved...

JF_Bay22_SCG
28th August 2008, 01:05 AM
Now that Melbourne are keen on de-listing Jeff White does anyone thing he is worth a dab in the draft?

Or are we over laying our mits of over-age ruckmen in the twilight of their careers who have little more to offer? :confused:

JF

dimelb
28th August 2008, 01:19 AM
Now that Melbourne are keen on de-listing Jeff White does anyone thing he is worth a dab in the draft?

Or are we over laying our mits of over-age ruckmen in the twilight of their careers who have little more to offer? :confused:

JF
No.
And yes.

smasher
28th August 2008, 06:26 AM
Lovett may be alright on the field but he is no angel off it.There is no way we want blokes like him at our club.He has had police charges and was in court this year and found guilty for hitting his girlfriend.That was not his only run in with the law.
Also the bloke is lazy on the track,often late or a no show and not a dedicated team man.
We DO NOT WANT his type at our club.

Jeffers1984
28th August 2008, 09:27 AM
Lovett for a 3rd rounder? Sheesh, I rate him way higher than that. If that's all we have to give for him, I'd be stoked.

3rd rounder as he is a risk (with his off-field discretions) . Talent alone i agree he is worth more than a 3rd rounder.

However I do agree with the premise that we badly need to speed up the Midfield and Forward line.

Is there any chance we could snag Chris Yarran with our 2nd rounder if we use our 1st rounder on a KPP such as Johnstone/McKearnan?

Me thinks not.

caj23
28th August 2008, 10:24 AM

You're all class aren't you

I'm done on this thread, I'm not going to argue with people who condone domestic violence

cressakel
28th August 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm Lovett's ex girlfriend didnt think it was "minor" when he slapped her around and sent threatening texts.

Didn't say Lovett's crime was minor, but what I did say was that OTHER AFL footballers past & present have committed criminal acts minor or major that they have or haven't got away with over the years. Don't put words in my mouth tiger !!

Craig Bird is an AFL footballer and is a lovely mover and will be a very good player in the future !!

NMWBloods
28th August 2008, 11:29 AM
When Amon plays in the midfield, he is Jude Bolton. When playing well Buchanan is much better in our midfield than Bolton has he can run and break lines. He's very creative when on song.

When Amon plays forward, he is Veszpremi or Moore. We have him covered, in other words. He's miles off them because his kicking for goal is rubbish.

swanage
28th August 2008, 12:06 PM
Craig Bird is an AFL footballer and is a lovely mover and will be a very good player in the future !!

It's Greg Bird, and he'll be in jail for long enough that he'll never play professional sport again in his life, mark my words.

I don't know about Lovett as I've only watched a handful of Bomber games in the last 2 years, but don't we have a no dickheads policy? Anybody convicted of beating a woman is a dickhead in my book.

I don't even think I'd be able to cheer for someone like that.

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 12:06 PM
You're all class aren't you

I'm done on this thread, I'm not going to argue with people who condone domestic violence

Don't get upset and spit your dummy when you speak of something as if being an eyewitness to it. I'm not condoning domestic violence at all. I'm merely questioning why you would peddle misinformation and rumours as fact.

NMWBloods
28th August 2008, 12:35 PM
don't we have a no dickheads policy? No.

caj23
28th August 2008, 12:43 PM
Don't get upset and spit your dummy when you speak of something as if being an eyewitness to it. I'm not condoning domestic violence at all. I'm merely questioning why you would peddle misinformation and rumours as fact.

Peddling misinformation and rumours:rolleyes: , here are some facts for you to digest

An AVO was placed against Lovett
The AVO was put in place when the victim presented threatening text messages as evidence
Lovett breached the AVO and was fined $5,000 by a Magistrates Court

Do you dispute any of these RP?

In addition, the gf has alleged that she was the victim physical assault by Lovett. Obvioulsly I'm not in a position to verfy these
claims, but I would have thought that the facts above would be enough to stay away from him.

I won't even go into this gem that you posted "He told me you were begging for it and got what you deserved..."

dimelb
28th August 2008, 01:08 PM

Wasn't the word "sure" left out of this post? As in "I'm sure"? I think that's what RP has (ironically?) picked up.
Incidentally I've changed my view on Lovett. I wasn't aware of his record and wouldn't want him.

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 01:42 PM
Peddling misinformation and rumours:rolleyes: , here are some facts for you to digest

An AVO was placed against Lovett
The AVO was put in place when the victim presented threatening text messages as evidence
Lovett breached the AVO and was fined $5,000 by a Magistrates Court

Do you dispute any of these RP?

In addition, the gf has alleged that she was the victim physical assault by Lovett. Obvioulsly I'm not in a position to verfy these
claims, but I would have thought that the facts above would be enough to stay away from him.

I won't even go into this gem that you posted "He told me you were begging for it and got what you deserved..."

I never said he was NOT guilty of anything..... But I never made the assumption that he was either.

Anyone can take out an AVO at anytime. The system is rife for abuse (Not that it's not required in some way shape or form but that's another discussion altogether). Having an AVO against someone is not a conviction or confirmation of their guilt.

And as you said, you weren't there and they are "allegations" which is pretty much my point.

sprite
28th August 2008, 01:54 PM
Initially I wasn't too keen on recruiting him either, but we may have a solution to some of his issues in the we have two of the most respected indigenous players going around to provide the guidance and leadership he may need .

It may be that at Essendon he was put into the role of being one of the leaders to the other indigenous players and couldn't handle it.

Perhaps with MOL and AG to guide him, he could turn it around.

Any thoughts.....

caj23
28th August 2008, 01:59 PM
I never said he was NOT guilty of anything..... But I never made the assumption that he was either.

Anyone can take out an AVO at anytime. The system is rife for abuse (Not that it's not required in some way shape or form but that's another discussion altogether). Having an AVO against someone is not a conviction or confirmation of their guilt.

And as you said, you weren't there and they are "allegations" which is pretty much my point.

ignoring the allegations, you think its normal reasonable behaviour to send threatening text messages to someone?

Breaching an AVO is a criminal offence

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 02:24 PM
ignoring the allegations, you think its normal reasonable behaviour to send threatening text messages to someone?

Breaching an AVO is a criminal offence

No I don't. But it's an allegation too.

And yes, breaching an AVO is a criminal offence but the only one, thus far, that has been proven.

Mr Magoo
28th August 2008, 03:21 PM
Dont have an opinion either way on lovett although wouldnt give up too high a draft pick for him.

In regards AVOs:
1. they are too easily obtained in many circumstances

2. The threat doesnt have to be that "threatening" for it to be considered so. Often it is based on wether the person receiving it feels threatened which can be a pretty low test.

I would be cautious to place too much judgement on someones character purely by virtue of an AVO being placed on someone during a period of relationship problems. I personally know of people who are fine upstanding people getting AVOs put on them in relationship dispute situations.

Not discounting the situation, but just saying without the entire facts I wouldnt pass too much judgement on it.

Bye the way notice I name is as usual thrown in the mix for another now up for trade in Kerr.

caj23
28th August 2008, 03:37 PM
No I don't. But it's an allegation too.

And yes, breaching an AVO is a criminal offence but the only one, thus far, that has been proven.

What is your response to this article, in particular these quotes

Star bashed me | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21051286-661,00.html)

"The Herald Sun informed both Lovett's manager and Essendon Football Club of Ms Watson's allegations.

In their combined response late yesterday, Lovett said: "I deeply regret the incident which led to the making of the order.

"I have told Kim how remorseful I am and, whilst I can't take back what happened, I would like to publicly apologise for any grief I have caused Kim and her family.

"I will continue to put steps in place to address these personal issues."

Sounds pretty clear cut to me. If any of these printed allegations are untrue, Lovett has a great defamation claim

swantastic
28th August 2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not going to argue with people who condone domestic violenceWhy? some times women need a good slapping.

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 05:24 PM
What is your response to this article, in particular these quotes

Star bashed me | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21051286-661,00.html)

"The Herald Sun informed both Lovett's manager and Essendon Football Club of Ms Watson's allegations.

In their combined response late yesterday, Lovett said: "I deeply regret the incident which led to the making of the order.

"I have told Kim how remorseful I am and, whilst I can't take back what happened, I would like to publicly apologise for any grief I have caused Kim and her family.

"I will continue to put steps in place to address these personal issues."

Sounds pretty clear cut to me. If any of these printed allegations are untrue, Lovett has a great defamation claim

Regretful of the incident he says.... Nothing more. I had an incident with a latte this morning.

But point taken, it doesn't look or sound good.

BSA5
28th August 2008, 06:42 PM
When playing well Buchanan is much better in our midfield than Bolton has he can run and break lines. He's very creative when on song.

Fair enough, but so is Lovett. What I was referring to is that what we have in Buchanan that we would lose if we got Lovett is already covered by Bolton. You could also argue that Bird provides it.

He's miles off them because his kicking for goal is rubbish.

Even better. :)

dread and might
29th August 2008, 12:39 PM
Contract that stipulates immediate sacking without financial remuneration in the case of off field stupidity???

Then I'd be interested.

Rob-bloods
29th August 2008, 02:24 PM
If there is this much personal baggage and he is 25 why on earth bother?

hammo
29th August 2008, 02:36 PM
Contract that stipulates immediate sacking without financial remuneration in the case of off field stupidity???

Then I'd be interested.

Yes but if there is a high likelihood of stupidity and we do have to sack him, it's a wasted draft pick / trade. Best to steer clear IMO.

dread and might
29th August 2008, 06:58 PM
^^
Good point, though many a trade/ draft pick is wasted anyway, and Lovett's ability is certainly not in question.

Also, I like the idea of having someone really really quick in the midfield and he certainly brings that to the table and more...

BSA5
29th August 2008, 07:33 PM
Just putting it out there, how about Varcoe? He's younger than Lovett, and a similar sort of player. He can only seem to get a game at Geelong through injuries to teammates. He'd walk into just about any other side. He's quick, he tackles well, and has good skills. Perhaps we could look at a double trade, him and Tom Hawkins for a first rounder. Do some more trading to secure a replacement, and hopefully higher, first round pick from elsewhere (as it would be an understatement to say that we have nothing Geelong needs in terms of players). Thoughts?

Nico
29th August 2008, 08:22 PM

And soft to boot. Very outside and gets his kicks on the boundary line. Couldn't knock the sides out of a wet paper bag.

Nico
29th August 2008, 08:25 PM

2. lack of consistency

And doesn't turn up for training, you have to wonder why.
And has a big issue with the amber fluid, or is it whatever and coke.

Nico
29th August 2008, 08:33 PM
Oh that's good I like it. Davo DAvo DAvo, wins one important game off his own boot and we owe him a lifetime of gratitude. I don't think so. Obviously the other Swans players(leadership group) have been thinking he belongs in the ressies, as does the coach, until he busted a fetlock. I'd love to see Nick showing off his obvious talent week in week out, but when is that going to happen. He's not getting any younger, coming back from seroius injury, probably eating some KFC as we speak(whatever). What next for poor old Davo? :confused:

Unfortunately Nick's Premiership credits evaporated very quickly, and probably by his own doing, but many others amazingly kept theirs intact despite continuos, shocking form. I would have thought players lose their place in the team for the following reasons: suspension, off field indecretions, injury, team balance, match ups and poor form. I ask the question, are some of these more equal than others?

Nico
29th August 2008, 08:50 PM

The fact that you altered Will's post to suit your post suggests you may have a few problems of your own.

reigning premier
29th August 2008, 09:05 PM
The fact that you altered Will's post to suit your post suggests you may have a few problems of your own.

You know what, sometimes it pays to actually look at the posts in their entirety before you have a go.... Now toddle off and check again. I'll be here waiting.

Nico
29th August 2008, 09:19 PM
You know what, sometimes it pays to actually look at the posts in their entirety before you have a go.... Now toddle off and check again. I'll be here waiting.

Sorry, still can't get what you meant by the post I referred to in any other context as to how I originally saw it. Clearly I don't get your sense of humour if that is what it was an attempt at.

hammo
29th August 2008, 09:49 PM
Your post was in very poor taste RP

Chow-Chicker
29th August 2008, 09:52 PM
If you want good meat on the plate, what about Courtney Johns? Could be handy on our forward line. He may be injured until late next year, but he is a young punk with plenty to offer IMO.

Other than that, Ricky Dyson sounds like a top choice if we are to chase quick midfielders.

reigning premier
29th August 2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry, still can't get what you meant by the post I referred to in any other context as to how I originally saw it. Clearly I don't get your sense of humour if that is what it was an attempt at.

Your post was in very poor taste RP

Maybe..... But I'm not the one that edited their post.

Triple B
29th August 2008, 10:49 PM
RP, regardless of Nico going off half cocked and getting it wrong, what you originally said was pretty ordinary.

You'd do better to let this thread rollover to page 2 and out of sight.

BSA5
30th August 2008, 12:40 AM
Just putting it out there, how about Varcoe? He's younger than Lovett, and a similar sort of player. He can only seem to get a game at Geelong through injuries to teammates. He'd walk into just about any other side. He's quick, he tackles well, and has good skills. Perhaps we could look at a double trade, him and Tom Hawkins for a first rounder. Do some more trading to secure a replacement, and hopefully higher, first round pick from elsewhere (as it would be an understatement to say that we have nothing Geelong needs in terms of players). Thoughts?

So that's a "no" to Varcoe then? :(

reigning premier
30th August 2008, 01:05 AM
RP, regardless of Nico going off half cocked and getting it wrong, what you originally said was pretty ordinary.

You'd do better to let this thread rollover to page 2 and out of sight.

I thought I had???? Wasn't me dredging it up.

Triple B
30th August 2008, 01:11 AM
I thought I had???? Wasn't me dredging it up.

Well if you didn't wait until post 64 to acknowledge, if you could call 'maybe' an acknowledgment, that what you said was poor form, maybe others wouldn't have dredged it up.

reigning premier
30th August 2008, 01:31 AM
Can't respond to a post until one's made..... Which from my view, was about 4 before that magic number 64...

The MacDaddy
16th September 2008, 10:56 PM
Has anyone heard what is going on with him at Essendon, are they looking to trade him or does he wanted to be traded. Still think he could be a strong prospect either as a small forward, or if he gets his fitness up as a good outside midfielder.

connolly
17th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Initially I wasn't too keen on recruiting him either, but we may have a solution to some of his issues in the we have two of the most respected indigenous players going around to provide the guidance and leadership he may need .

It may be that at Essendon he was put into the role of being one of the leaders to the other indigenous players and couldn't handle it.

Perhaps with MOL and AG to guide him, he could turn it around.

Any thoughts.....

We have two outstanding indigenous leaders. If there is anywhere Lovett can make a go of it it might be with us. I think its worth a shot. By the way i abhor domestic violence and "men"who use violence against women. But offenders do deserve the chance at rehabilitation. If he is genuinely interested we should give it a go. He can play and is very quick.

swantastic
17th September 2008, 09:35 AM
We have two outstanding indigenous leaders. If there is anywhere Lovett can make a go of it it might be with us. I think its worth a shot. By the way i abhor domestic violence and "men"who use violence against women. But offenders do deserve the chance at rehabilitation. If he is genuinely interested we should give it a go. He can play and is very quick.He is a very good player but once a women basher always a women basher.There is no need to belt a women that just shows how piss weak you are.

After all that i dont want him at my club.We want a family type club.

cressakel
17th September 2008, 02:50 PM
He is a very good player but once a women basher always a women basher.There is no need to belt a women that just shows how piss weak you are.

After all that i dont want him at my club.We want a family type club.

My little Jack Russell's - Guus & Gecko - bash and crash my wife on a daily basis !!! Me thinks it is hilariously funny, particularly when the wife has had enough, screams at them and they go scampering off out the backyard where they then have a bark-off with the neighbouring dogs....

People change, including footballers, so give the bloke a chance !! Beating women is a 'piss weak' effort and I bet Lovett wakes up every day hating his actions in relation to this matter however, the only way to help the young fella is with education and forgiveness.

Hands up those that have never done a thing wrong in their life (ie. public drunkeness, jaywalking, spitting, swearing - which all can be prosecuted in the eyes of the law). If so, you're a liar and Big Brother is watching you....Hands up those that have forgiven family or friends for criminal or immoral acts. If not, you're a liar or as cold as ice and should probably change your name to Scotty as in 'Scott no friends'....

We're not a family club, no AFL clubs are. Get off the grass - the Sydney Swans are in business to win premierships and make money by attracting the corporate dollars and members.

Jaysus, sentiments like that went out the window when players became pro's, if not decades before.....

Darren Thomson
17th September 2008, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately Nick's Premiership credits evaporated very quickly, and probably by his own doing, but many others amazingly kept theirs intact despite continuos, shocking form. I would have thought players lose their place in the team for the following reasons: suspension, off field indecretions, injury, team balance, match ups and poor form. I ask the question, are some of these more equal than others?

Youre probably right, personality must play a part in everything, including whether the coach or leadership group wants you in the team, still, 2005 was a while ago, no ones getting any younger and after his reco Nick won't play proper footy til he does a full pre season in 2010, I believe he will be 30 by then, time for small forwards to say goodbye, except for the exceptional ones:o

Chookbilly
29th September 2008, 10:37 AM
It was reported in the herald sun yesterday (sunday), that Roos had met with Andrew Lovett last week, but that Fremantle were leading the chase for him.

But really, it all means very little.

ScottH
1st October 2008, 07:26 AM
Sydney Swans chase Essendon's Andrew Lovett - Melbourne Herald Sun (http://news.google.com.au/news/url?sa=T&ct=au/0-0&fd=R&url=http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24428336-19742,00.html&cid=1252642599&ei=WoviSMSFHoLK8AS9qc2GBw&usg=AFQjCNGGogPyG49joXl94W7XbAX45rErlQ)

Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia - 5 hours ago
The Swans flew Lovett to the Harbour City on Monday for a meet-and-greet session. Lovett met members of the Swans' leadership group over lunch. ...

Chookbilly
1st October 2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lovett-heads-north-for-talks/2008/09/30/1222651083353.html

Looks like he met with Roosy again.... hmmmm
I'm not completely sold on Lovett

Donners
1st October 2008, 12:26 PM
They mention in that article a second-round pick as the deal, which would not be the worst for his playing ability - putting personality to one side for a moment.

Glenn
1st October 2008, 12:45 PM
Second round pick for Lovett would be about on the money, a first round or second round+player and Essendon have shafted Sydney again.

GoBloods
1st October 2008, 01:17 PM
essendon's problem child , and they want us to take him.
ok , we will swap okeefe for their 1st rnd pick and lovett...

DeadlyAkkuret
1st October 2008, 01:54 PM

That would be the dream trade of the century.

Donners
1st October 2008, 03:07 PM
Considering Lovett is contracted and O'Keefe isn't, their respective values may not match their abilities.

Lohengrin
1st October 2008, 03:15 PM
And while we're at we'll get them to continue paying Lovett's salary, require them to use only 16 men when playing us, and throw in some magic beans too.

ROK Lobster
1st October 2008, 03:35 PM
And while we're at we'll get them to continue paying Lovett's salary, require them to use only 16 men when playing us, and throw in some magic beans too.They might agree to pay anything still outstanding on the Wallace deal too.

caj23
1st October 2008, 04:10 PM
Considering Lovett is contracted and O'Keefe isn't, their respective values may not match their abilities.

I don't agree Donners.

Lovett is a handly player but I hardly think we'll break the bank to get him (or at least we better not!)

Whilst if O'Keefe does decide he wants to go back to Melbourne, there will be multiple suitors. Plus we can always use the threat of the PSD if a deal can't be done.

And don't tell me that none of the interstate clubs (ie. Freo, Port or WCE) wouldn't take him if he was available risk free, becuase they wouldn't hesitate.

Primmy
1st October 2008, 04:52 PM
Sydney Swans chase Essendon's Andrew Lovett - Melbourne Herald Sun (http://news.google.com.au/news/url?sa=T&ct=au/0-0&fd=R&url=http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24428336-19742,00.html&cid=1252642599&ei=WoviSMSFHoLK8AS9qc2GBw&usg=AFQjCNGGogPyG49joXl94W7XbAX45rErlQ)

Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia - 5 hours ago
The Swans flew Lovett to the Harbour City on Monday for a meet-and-greet session. Lovett met members of the Swans' leadership group over lunch. ...

Hmmm. The leadership group is pretty solid and work to high standards, personally and professionally. Also, just think of Lovett trying to "lie" to Stuey Maxfield, who does our scouting. Can any of you imagine what it would be like to be stared down by Stuey? Nup, leave it to the boys to work out if Lovett is worth the effort.

R&WtilIDie
1st October 2008, 05:29 PM
It's commonly known in Melbourne, that Lovett "goes upstairs" with the owners at nightclubs. And he beats his mrs. Quality bloke. We should stay away from him.

CureTheSane
1st October 2008, 05:44 PM
Replies 86
Views 2,801

Seemed kinda out of whack, so I wanted to try and balance this thread out a bit.

Seems to be a bit of interest in Lovett though :)

AnnieH
1st October 2008, 05:46 PM
I know I should say something ... but I'm speechless!!

DST
1st October 2008, 06:06 PM
Out of all the recent bad boys we have tried to reform, if they could get Lovett for a second rounder and turn him around personally he would have the biggest upside to our team in the last 10 years.

Has pace to burn and would be an excitement machine.

But I stess the footy department need to make sure they can turn his personal life around if they are going to use a second rounder.

DST
:D

ShockOfHair
1st October 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm on the Lovett bandwagon.

swantastic
1st October 2008, 06:28 PM
Anybody convicted of beating a woman is a dickhead in my book.Between you and me,she most likely asked for it and all us blokes know what women are like.I still cant believe that women are allowed to vote.:rolleyes:

Bas
1st October 2008, 07:23 PM
It's commonly known in Melbourne, that Lovett "goes upstairs" with the owners at nightclubs.

He has intellectual conversations?????

What does this mean? Is he a gigolo?

Jewels
1st October 2008, 07:50 PM
It's commonly known in Melbourne, that Lovett "goes upstairs" with the owners at nightclubs.
Honestly, who cares?

And he beats his mrs. Quality bloke.
This part is of concern.

Out of all the recent bad boys we have tried to reform, if they could get Lovett for a second rounder and turn him around personally he would have the biggest upside to our team in the last 10 years.

Has pace to burn and would be an excitement machine.

But I stess the footy department need to make sure they can turn his personal life around if they are going to use a second rounder.

DST
:D
Totally agree DST. If we can get his head right, he would be exactly what we need.

R&WtilIDie
1st October 2008, 08:22 PM
hahah, it has nothing to do with sex.

573v30
1st October 2008, 09:27 PM
Totally agree DST. If we can get his head right, he would be exactly what we need.

The psychs took only a couple of weeks to fix Hall, it shouldn't take them that long to fix Lovett.

Captain
1st October 2008, 09:37 PM
hahah, it has nothing to do with sex.

So what does it mean then???

Lohengrin
1st October 2008, 10:31 PM
I think Benny used to do the same thing...