PDA

View Full Version : Lrt

Darren Thomson
27th August 2008, 11:13 PM
There is a lot being said about LRT, none of it very good. I am a fan, mainly because I see potential there. A couple more pre seasons, some sprint training we could have ourselves a proper full back, or CHB dependiing on circumstances. Remeber LRT is a relative newcomer to AFL, and is still learning. When Roos came to Swans he was no quicker than LRT, just had eleventy 7 hundred games more than him experience wise. But LRT has played in many finals now and in a few years, maybe sooner than some think, may be a leader in the side. You all think I'm nuts and your probably right, still, I like his courage under the ball and running back, marks well, accurate short kick. Does turn it over a bit, but experience will take care of that. Like a lot of players, he will get better:cool:

ROK Lobster
27th August 2008, 11:19 PM
He's played nearly 100 games. How long can he be given?

Melbournehammer
27th August 2008, 11:29 PM
i think he has played nearly 100 games, of which everyone returns to him beating that star ashley hansen in 2005 - a player who despite having the best midfield never tore anyone apart.

and whenever we flicked the switch from defence to attack he was the first player off.

simply put he is a liability who has been covered by a good defensive midfield, and some very decent defenders around him. he now has an ordinary midfield and his limitations are absolutely exposed

BloodsInMyVeins
28th August 2008, 12:05 AM
There is a lot being said about LRT, none of it very good. I am a fan, mainly because I see potential there. A couple more pre seasons, some sprint training we could have ourselves a proper full back, or CHB dependiing on circumstances. Remeber LRT is a relative newcomer to AFL, and is still learning. When Roos came to Swans he was no quicker than LRT, just had eleventy 7 hundred games more than him experience wise. But LRT has played in many finals now and in a few years, maybe sooner than some think, may be a leader in the side. You all think I'm nuts and your probably right, still, I like his courage under the ball and running back, marks well, accurate short kick. Does turn it over a bit, but experience will take care of that. Like a lot of players, he will get better:cool:

You are in DISNEY LAND & so is Roos & the selection Commity every time they choose him.

I will say no more.

JF_Bay22_SCG
28th August 2008, 12:56 AM

As long as we go out & find a decent CHB from somewhere I'd like to see him have a crack as a 2nd ruckman. I recall in 2003 he starred in a game against the Crows in Adelaide there. For a ruckman he'd be quite mobile. For a CHB in 2008 running football he is often a liability.

Once we get more tall defenders I think we will see whether he really is of any long term use to the team or not.

JF

stellation
28th August 2008, 07:33 AM
i think he has played nearly 100 games, of which everyone returns to him beating that star ashley hansen in 2005 - a player who despite having the best midfield never tore anyone apart.

and whenever we flicked the switch from defence to attack he was the first player off.

simply put he is a liability who has been covered by a good defensive midfield, and some very decent defenders around him. he now has an ordinary midfield and his limitations are absolutely exposed
Didn't Lewis stand Ashley to start the 2006 GF? :(

dimelb
28th August 2008, 09:45 AM
Didn't Lewis stand Ashley to start the 2006 GF? :(
I think so - and played injured, did he not?

ROK Lobster
28th August 2008, 09:54 AM
I think so - and played injured, did he not?Also kicked the most graceful goal in grand final history IIRC.

cressakel
28th August 2008, 11:28 AM

DUD

NMWBloods
28th August 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure if waiting until a player has played 150+ games and is 27yo to know whether he'll be any good makes a lot of sense.

Plugger46
28th August 2008, 11:44 AM
Been there a long time. Stopped improving a fair while ago in my opinion.

Mr Magoo
28th August 2008, 11:49 AM
Would keep him for the moment as I dont know who we could replace him with in the big bodied backline role. Especially as we are likely to be without barry and richards seems to struggle in this role.

If he didnt show improvement in the first half of next year then would put back to reserves and give someone like White a run at this role or maybe a bulked up faulks.

Jeffers1984
28th August 2008, 12:43 PM
Would keep him for the moment as I dont know who we could replace him with in the big bodied backline role. Especially as we are likely to be without barry and richards seems to struggle in this role.

Perhaps a mature aged recruit ala Egan or Harry Taylor from the VFL may be recruited to help out the backline.

Faulks will need massive hulking up juice if he were to play such a role.

Chilcott
28th August 2008, 02:04 PM
If we hold onto blokes like LRT and Grundy, just because we have no other KPP players to bring in at this stage, we are going to struggle big time for the next few seasons.

We need to get rid of Grundy, LRT, Everitt, Matthews and a couple of others now.

We need to put up with some short term pain for more future gain.

swansrule100
28th August 2008, 02:35 PM
we could pick anyone 20 year old tall player off the street and provided they are not morbidly obese if we give them 100 games im sure they will be a better player than lrt

oogabooga1
28th August 2008, 02:38 PM
Hi guys, i am new to here. I heard that the Swans were interested in Setanta O'hailpin from the blues.

ScottH
28th August 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi guys, i am new to here. I heard that the Swans were interested in Setanta O'hailpin from the blues.

Where did you here that?

oogabooga1
28th August 2008, 02:44 PM
i heard it about round 16 from someone with ties to the Bullants. It was a very reliable source. From the horses mouth so to speak. I actually heard that they were interested in BOTH O'hAilpins.

ScottH
28th August 2008, 02:47 PM
i heard it about round 16 from someone with ties to the Bullants. It was a very reliable source. From the horses mouth so to speak. I actually heard that they were interested in BOTH O'hAilpins.

Sentana(?) would certainly be worth a look at.
Not sure about the other one, I haven't seen him play.

Are we trying have the first full Irish team?

Rod_
28th August 2008, 02:51 PM
Apprenticeship is over - time to earn a living off your trade LRT. Key Position Backman

(with an option as a handy second ruck)

Rod_

oogabooga1
28th August 2008, 02:52 PM
Setanta or otherwise known down here as Carlos. He is friends with kennelly

His Brother is Aisake Pronounced EYE - Zacky

reigning premier
28th August 2008, 02:54 PM

They can have Evritt in return.....

Plugger46
28th August 2008, 03:37 PM

Another one who has stopped improving in my opinion.

hammo
28th August 2008, 08:25 PM
LRT's mediocre career peaked for one half of football in the GF of 2005 and has been on steady decline ever since. He is now a defensive plod in a game which requires backline players to be the architects of attack.

thejones,s
28th August 2008, 08:49 PM
I say trade LRT whilst we can still get a few Villies for him.....to late for drinks to go with pies tho..

BloodsInMyVeins
29th August 2008, 04:41 AM
I say trade LRT whilst we can still get a few Villies for him.....to late for drinks to go with pies tho..

Trade Him???:eek:

You have got to be Joking.

Hes UnTradable.:o

Mr Magoo
29th August 2008, 09:52 AM
LRT's mediocre career peaked for one half of football in the GF of 2005 and has been on steady decline ever since. He is now a defensive plod in a game which requires backline players to be the architects of attack.

I dotn agree that a prerequisite for a Key position backman is to be an architect of attack. In any case isnt that what bevan, mattner, malceski and kenneally are for. Even Geelong dont have a backline that all attack. Scarlett does but generally Harley and Milburn hang back while he does it and Taylor and Hunt arent exactly potent attacking weapons.

law78
29th August 2008, 01:13 PM
LRT is the worst player in the AFL, by a country mile.

If clangers were a good stat to have, he would be number 1.

BSA5
29th August 2008, 01:26 PM
LRT is the worst player in the AFL, by a country mile.

If clangers were a good stat to have, he would be number 1.

That's odd, because Darren Jolly, Jude Bolton, Martin Mattner, Adam Goodes, Brett Kirk, Ryan O'Keefe, Craig Bolton, Kieran Jack, Barry Hall, Leo Barry, Luke Ablett, Jarrad McVeigh and Paul Bevan have all had more clangers than LRT this year.

More ignorant LRT bashing based on popular view and the fact that LRT looks kinda awkward.

ScottH
29th August 2008, 01:49 PM
That's odd, because Darren Jolly, Jude Bolton, Martin Mattner, Adam Goodes, Brett Kirk, Ryan O'Keefe, Craig Bolton, Kieran Jack, Barry Hall, Leo Barry, Luke Ablett, Jarrad McVeigh and Paul Bevan have all had more clangers than LRT this year.

More ignorant LRT bashing based on popular view and the fact that LRT looks kinda awkward.

Yep, an average of less than 2 a game puts him way down the list.

source (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Average&sby=cl&year=2008)

hammo
29th August 2008, 02:25 PM
Yep, an average of less than 2 a game puts him way down the list.

source (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Average&sby=cl&year=2008)

Interesting stats.

The one that interests me the most is LRT's average of 1 contested mark every 5 games (0.2 per game). That is woeful for a key defender.

ScottH
29th August 2008, 02:27 PM
Interesting stats.

The one that interests me the most is LRT's average of 1 contested mark every 5 games (0.2 per game). That is woeful for a key defender.

True, but his job would be to spoil more than mark.

Rob-bloods
29th August 2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting stats.

Don't agree with that, but would be interested to prove either way, what key defenders take many contested marks these days, how can we check?

Matty10
29th August 2008, 02:38 PM
The swans can only play what they have and LRT is clearly in our best 22.

hammo
29th August 2008, 02:50 PM
Tom Harley averages 0.9 but not many defenders on this list.

PRO-STATS Australian Rules Football - The Stats The Coaches Use (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?yr=2008&sp=SE&rt=LA&fc=E1)

Rob-bloods
29th August 2008, 03:00 PM
On contested marks checked Champion Data for Geelong

Tom Harley 29
Hunt 17
Taylor 9
Milburn 4
Scarlett 4

Swannies

LRT 4
Barry 7
Richards 13

Interestingly Barry Hall despite horrendous season 38

dread and might
29th August 2008, 07:06 PM
When Roos came to Swans he was no quicker than LRT, just had eleventy 7 hundred games more than him experience wise. :

You are suggesting the only thing wrong wit his game is pace.:confused:

Unscramble the following puzzle at you leisure: (Note; there is more than one combination which may be grammatically correct, but only one factually correct one.)

IS ROOS BOOT TIE FIT LRT TO NOT LACES

BSA5
29th August 2008, 07:27 PM
Interesting stats.

Hardly. Defenders are there to spoil. If they risk taking a mark, and don't, and the opposition either marks or it spills behind the pack for the crumbers, then the defender gets absolutely blasted. I'm happy if we take zero contested marks in our backline, so long as we keep spoiling.

Melbournehammer
30th August 2008, 04:47 AM
that is a laugh that lrt is close enough to spoil. from what i have seen he is usually 2-3 m behind, or on his arse or getting a free kick against him for noy watching the ball and having both arms around his opponent.

and his clanger couny should be measured against the number of times he gets the ball...

ScottH
30th August 2008, 03:07 PM
(Averages per game)
1.9 clangers per 11.9 possessions.

1 in 6 posessions is a clanger.

Compared to Goodes
2.6 per 17.7
roughly 1 in 6.

Hall
3.7 per 14.3
roughly 1 in 4

C Bolton
2.1 per 16.8
rougly 1 in 8

So his ratio is not so bad.

ShockOfHair
30th August 2008, 03:51 PM
I think LRT's current problem is like half the team he's out of form. He let Cloke run off him so easily last week.

WHen he's playing well he's big, mobile and can take a grab. His biggest problem as a player is his decision making - just lacks judgement, which is a worry for a key defender.

We don't have many other mobile big men, especially ones who can play up back. I don't see anyone coming through who can take his place, especially when Leo B is about to retire. So I can't see LRT getting culled just yet.