PDA

View Full Version : Cousins and Kerr to Sydney?

Cheer Squad
30th August 2008, 01:00 PM
We've discussed Cousins and/or Kerr as part of a trade before, but this is the first time a serious journalist like Patrick Smith has mentioned the possibility of them both coming to Sydney. I wonder who he's been talking to.

Future lies in hands of nemesis | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24263645-7583,00.html)

Captain
30th August 2008, 01:11 PM
We've discussed Cousins and/or Kerr as part of a trade before, but this is the first time a serious journalist like Patrick Smith has mentioned the possibility of them both coming to Sydney. I wonder who he's been talking to.

Future lies in hands of nemesis | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24263645-7583,00.html)

Kerr would be good. Cousins is too old and has too many issues.

Dogzbody
30th August 2008, 01:18 PM
Not a bad article.

And I must say the concept of Bennie and Kerr blowing away midfield defences wearing Red and White does appeal, in a macabre sort of ironic sense.:)

hammo
30th August 2008, 01:25 PM
I'd welcome both to the club but I can't see how we'd possibly be able to do a trade to satisfy West Coast for Kerr.

goswannie14
30th August 2008, 01:25 PM
That is a very well written and thought through article. It is also a possibility (not quite necessity) that I had not considered, but the way Smith writes it makes sense. Only time will tell hoe competitive we will be after trade week this year.

Rob-bloods
30th August 2008, 01:33 PM
He was suggesting they are perhaps an ideal fit from our 'top up' strategy point of view, he is not saying there is something lined up or even possible. In fact how on earth could we trade for Kerr they want two first round picks?

dimelb
30th August 2008, 01:43 PM
He was suggesting they are perhaps an ideal fit from our 'top up' strategy point of view, he is not saying there is something lined up or even possible. In fact how on earth could we trade for Kerr they want two first round picks?
Or in other words, who would we give away?

sprite
30th August 2008, 01:58 PM
I'd welcome both to the club but I can't see how we'd possibly be able to do a trade to satisfy West Coast for Kerr.

A lot of RWO posters think that Jude is worth at least the equivalent of top ten draft pick.:D

Davo then must worth similiar - after all he did win us the GF:rolleyes:

There we have it B1 & Davo - for Kerr

digital
30th August 2008, 02:16 PM
ROK for a first rounder, plus our own, and maybe Brab back to WA would get the deal done.
BC would cost us nothing. The deal would make us highly competitve again.

connolly
30th August 2008, 03:12 PM

The old windbag got too close to the white out when he dozed off after the big Friday noon to late arvo lunch and grog up. The blues brothers coming to Sydney won't happen except in the fevered imagination of a hack running up against a deadline.

j s
30th August 2008, 04:35 PM
Or in other words, who would we give away?
Matthews!!

gloveski
30th August 2008, 06:32 PM
why would we trade o'keefe the best half forward flanker in the business.......just makes no sense

digital
30th August 2008, 07:45 PM
28 years of age, always heavily tagged, doe not break games open anymore..kerr would lift our midfield..and is 3 years younger than ROK.

Bas
31st August 2008, 02:04 AM
cover the cost of living in swank Sydney.

Enter the Swans. The club has previously traded to get the exact players it feels are required to keep the club competitive in September. Post Tony Lockett and Paul Williams the club sought an ageing Peter Everitt in a trade for pick 33; Barry Hall for picks 13, 17 and 45; Darren Jolly for 15; Martin Mattner for 28 and Ted Richards for picks 19 and 51. There was a risk in every deal but, perhaps, only Everitt has not been an undeniable success. And Everitt has been more than decent.

So it makes sense and follows tradition that Sydney will make a play for 25-year-old Kerr. It has no alternative. The deal will be long-term and bountiful. Cousins would be considered, too. He is 30 and needs only a clearance from the AFL to restart his career. And Cousins needs Kerr and Kerr needs Cousins. Together they dilute the defensive force that opposition clubs can direct at the pair. It is a case of one and one make three.

I'd like to try what Patrick is having. What a load of crap. He must be in early stages of dementia to write that garbage.

Belly button fluff contemplation and he gets paid for it by Murdoch.

SMFC
31st August 2008, 03:38 AM
This is true. I'm pretty sure I'd rather lose most games per season, than ever cheer Cousins and Kerr...

mackemdezzy
31st August 2008, 06:34 AM
I'd be happy to get Kerr but a big NO for Cousins We dont need druggys signing for the club let Collingwood sign Cousins since they'ed be a great match with there feral fans! :D:D

connolly
31st August 2008, 10:21 AM
I'd be happy to get Kerr but a big NO for Cousins We dont need druggys signing for the club let Collingwood sign Cousins since they'ed be a great match with there feral fans! :D:D

Special K ring any bells? Date rape drug?

Nico
31st August 2008, 10:26 AM
28 years of age, always heavily tagged, doe not break games open anymore..kerr would lift our midfield..and is 3 years younger than ROK.

ROK completely and utterly controlled the last half of the Carlton game and probably got us into the finals on that effort.

bloodboy
31st August 2008, 10:29 AM
I am pretty sure they both want to come to Melbourne anyways. I think these blokes are the opposite of guys like Plugger. They love the limelight too much and I don't think they could handle the 'anonymity' that Sydney would give them. Besides, we don't want them...

barry
31st August 2008, 07:23 PM
Kerr and Cousins would be great. Imagine them in a midfield with Kirk, Bolton and McVeigh. Almost the perfect balance of flair and hard nuts.
We wouldnt need a forward line. WC didnt in 05/06.

We've got Davis, and our first round pick to give up for Kerr.

We could easily ditch players like Ablett if Kerr came. Ablett, just by name he'd have currency in Melbourne (especially if Geelong have some list room).

connolly
31st August 2008, 08:16 PM
Kerr and Cousins would be great. Imagine them in a midfield with Kirk, Bolton and McVeigh. Almost the perfect balance of flair and hard nuts.
We wouldnt need a forward line. WC didnt in 05/06.

We've got Davis, and our first round pick to give up for Kerr.

We could easily ditch players like Ablett if Kerr came. Ablett, just by name he'd have currency in Melbourne (especially if Geelong have some list room).

And with a number of our senior leadership group retiring these two rats would provide a wonderful leadership and ambience around the club for our young players. Why not just billet the young 'uns at Silverwater Remand?

Cheer Squad
2nd September 2008, 10:52 PM

Here's Patrick Smith again in today's Australian. This time he's more explicit about where Kerr will end up - "if Collingwood gets him it will be only if it can beat off Sydney". Who has Patrick been talking to?

Northern shenanigans | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24278031-12270,00.html)

ernie koala
3rd September 2008, 12:36 AM
IMO the obvious trade for Kerr would be BBBH, they need a forward badly.
Our forward line scores more freely with out him.
Can't say it aint been lovely....but it's time to go big fella.

573v30
3rd September 2008, 02:00 AM

I can picture a massive drop in Eagles memberships if Hall was traded to West Choke. He's more hated than Jeff Farmer.

liz
3rd September 2008, 02:07 AM

While they had Cousins and Kerr and Judd a top quality forward was what they needed. But right now they've got a lot of very promising midfielders but you can't see them getting close to challenging the Dawks or Cats for the next couple of years, especially after the likes of Embley and Hansen have showed themselves to be just good ordinary footballers when not surrounded by star quality. Hall has one, maybe two good years of footy left in him if he wants them. But it's hard to see him being around long enough to take the Eagles to their next premiership.

Plus without a key forward, Kerr won't be enough to elevate the Swans to challengers either. And I'd much rather spend the next two years of mid-table rebuilding watching Hall strut his stuff than Kerr.

connolly
3rd September 2008, 10:40 AM
While they had Cousins and Kerr and Judd a top quality forward was what they needed. But right now they've got a lot of very promising midfielders but you can't see them getting close to challenging the Dawks or Cats for the next couple of years, especially after the likes of Embley and Hansen have showed themselves to be just good ordinary footballers when not surrounded by star quality. Hall has one, maybe two good years of footy left in him if he wants them. But it's hard to see him being around long enough to take the Eagles to their next premiership.

Plus without a key forward, Kerr won't be enough to elevate the Swans to challengers either. And I'd much rather spend the next two years of mid-table rebuilding watching Hall strut his stuff than Kerr.

And Kerr is a ticking time bomb off the field. Very loudly.

Plugger46
3rd September 2008, 11:06 AM

Watch the Brisbane game again. He created so many scoring opportunities by just being there and bringing the ball to the ground. He had a pretty ordinary game individually but I think you're underselling his contribution to the team.

He was super important in getting us over the line against Fremantle and he was our best player in the losses to Geelong and Collingwood.

dimelb
3rd September 2008, 11:16 AM
Watch the Brisbane game again. He created so many scoring opportunities by just being there and bringing the ball to the ground. He had a pretty ordinary game individually but I think you're underselling his contribution to the team.

He was super important in getting us over the line against Fremantle and he was our best player in the losses to Geelong and Collingwood.
Absolutely - and not just the Brisbane game, although that's an excellent example. He does it week after week. He has a massive presence.

Mr Magoo
3rd September 2008, 12:15 PM
Both would have been pretty handy two years ago ;)

But dont see the benefit of them now if you have to give up decent draft picks.

AnnieH
3rd September 2008, 01:52 PM
A big
N.O.
to both.

australian_made
3rd September 2008, 06:42 PM
Is everyone here forgetting the no d@@kheads policy?

If either of these two knobs pull on the red and white.... well i think i would like to know who the club would classify as a d@@khead then!

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd September 2008, 06:53 PM

If either of these two knobs pull on the red and white.... well i think i would like to know who the club would classify as a d@@khead then!

NMW will love this post.

ScottH
3rd September 2008, 07:32 PM

Hall and Everitt got gigs in Sydney.

AND apparently we were chasing Fev, and his sex toy.

Nico
3rd September 2008, 07:44 PM

I admire a person who watches the game and not the flight of the ball. Skilled and keen observations there P46. Clearly you have learned the game from masters.

Nico
3rd September 2008, 07:46 PM
Hall and Everitt got gigs in Sydney.

AND apparently we were chasing Fev, and his sex toy.

Correct Scott, in any squad of 46 you are going to get your tools.

ScottH
3rd September 2008, 08:02 PM
I admire a person who watches the game and not the flight of the ball. Skilled and keen observations there P46. Clearly you have learned the game from masters.

:hmmm

;)

ScottH
3rd September 2008, 08:03 PM

AS long as they can play footy.

Darren Thomson
3rd September 2008, 10:23 PM
A big
N.O.
to both.

I can only concur. We don't need this type of player, don't we have the DH rule here still? I hope so:rolleyes:

Big Al
3rd September 2008, 10:37 PM

There is only criteria in recruitment, will that player further your chances of winning a premiership. If I had a choice of winning a flag with 22 dickheads and winning spoon with 22 angels, I know which one I would choose.

Big Al
3rd September 2008, 10:41 PM

Exactly. Take a random sample of 46 RWO members and I can guarantee there would be some tools. Go over to Eagles Flying High and you get a 100% strike rate.

australian_made
3rd September 2008, 10:47 PM
Exactly. Take a random sample of 46 RWO members and I can guarantee there would be some tools. Go over to Eagles Flying High and you get 100% strike rate.

Actually, i take my last comment back. Recruiting them would be worth it just to read the reactions on Weagles Flying Highonmeth :D

tombomb
3rd September 2008, 10:53 PM
rok to carlton or richmond for their first round pick

that first round pick, plus our first round pick for kerr.

easiest deal ever. seeya later!

ernie koala
3rd September 2008, 11:07 PM

I too, thought he was great against Brisbane, and he has played a few other good games earlier this year as well ...But... He's 31 or 32, and is struggling to control himself at the best of times. The baiting will continue unabated, from all comers, from now to the end of his career. I see trouble ahead for the big fella and his tiring body.
I'd rather a 25 year old with plenty of upside if, a big if I know, they can straighten him out so to speak, and can convince him to pull his head in and put all his energies into footy for 6 or 7 years. Surely Stewie and Roosy can do that...:D

573v30
3rd September 2008, 11:19 PM
rok to carlton or richmond for their first round pick

that first round pick, plus our first round pick for kerr.

easiest deal ever. seeya later!

ROK must stay! :mad:

Lucky Knickers
3rd September 2008, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't like to see ROK go. He is the core of our next gen of players IMO after the old cortina's get junked.

Darren Thomson
3rd September 2008, 11:26 PM
ROK must stay! :mad:

Of course ROK must stay, what is this fascination that people have with trading our best players? I don't get it, would Cousins at 31 be a bargain for a trade like that. Not worth the risk, would rather have ROK anyway, at least he is an honest player, no evil here please:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :D

woo
3rd September 2008, 11:30 PM
as much as I love the thought, cousins is all but signed to collingwood , and kerr....well most say he isn't going anywhere

Wazza
3rd September 2008, 11:38 PM
Of course ROK must stay, what is this fascination that people have with trading our best players? I don't get it, would Cousins at 31 be a bargain for a trade like that. Not worth the risk, would rather have ROK anyway, at least he is an honest player, no evil here please:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :D

As others have stated ROK has probably peaked, playing the hard running role he does will start to take its toll on his body - no doubt he still has some great seasons but the chance to get a player like Kerr does not come along often. Kerr could take us to another GF - ROK would contribute to us getting to one :confused:

Waz

tombomb
4th September 2008, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't like to see ROK go. He is the core of our next gen of players IMO after the old cortina's get junked.

Rok is 28, continues to go missing in big games when he has a good tag.

Kerr is a superstar ... eagles want pick 1 or 3 ... we have nothing good enough to trade for that, but rok would probably generate a lot of interest from teams who just missed the finals, richmond, carlton, brisbane.

Lucky Knickers
4th September 2008, 10:49 AM
I'd only support a ROK trade if he wanted to go. ROK would be very close to BOG in majority of our games this year so hardly missing. All players struggle with a tag at some stage.
Kerr is not a superstar. He's a good player but he's no Judd.

tombomb
4th September 2008, 10:59 AM
Perhaps i am watching different games, but from what i have seen over the past few years ... ROK is an inconsistent player in big games at best, at worst he is a very poor player in big games. He has played well this year and his currency is high, but his best games have been against the lower teams ... he and jolly always go missing in big games ... it is part of their charm.

4th September 2008, 01:47 PM
Despite the fact that Kerr has a head on him like a constipated rat and I personally hate the guy, I'd take him over Cousins.

I reckon we're a key midfielder short of being a total kick-arse side.

I'm prepared to put my personal Kerr-related issues aside if it brings us closer to a flag. And by flag I mean total and complete domination over the planet.

BeeEmmAre
4th September 2008, 01:57 PM
If there ever was a no dickheads rule, it is no longer in use.
And if we can get players such as these in, I wouldn't be disappointed.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=67016

ScottH
4th September 2008, 02:02 PM
If there ever was a no dickheads rule, it is no longer in use.
And if we can get players such as these in, I wouldn't be disappointed.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=67016

Well these guys aren't going to fall in our lap, so I guess the recruiters are getting pretty busy ATM.

Wazza
13th September 2008, 12:22 AM
After tonight Robbie Kerr should be our no1 priority, with hopefully Murphy White and Currie to have huge pre seasons, IMHO Kerrs the guy we need.

Cheers

Waz

dimelb
13th September 2008, 12:41 AM
Like a hole in the head.

Bas
13th September 2008, 12:51 AM
He said he wants to go to Melbourne.

goswannie14
13th September 2008, 06:03 AM
After tonight Robbie Kerr should be our no1 priority, with hopefully Murphy White and Currie to have huge pre seasons, IMHO Kerrs the guy we need.

Cheers

WazI don't know how Robbie Kerr plays, but I'd be happy to have daniel Kerr at the swans.

Pace To Burn
13th September 2008, 01:01 PM
Id def have him. In terms of a player is exactly what we need. Has pace is a major ball winner and is hard at it, would be good to have while Bird, Jack etc develop more. The off field stuff im sure could be sorted as has been the case for so many in the past who have come here.

Pace To Burn
13th September 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't know how Robbie Kerr plays, but I'd be happy to have daniel Kerr at the swans.

Was actually a very good player, Had the pleasure of playing against him after he left the swans and played/coached East Sydney;)

Wazza
14th September 2008, 05:43 PM
I don't know how Robbie Kerr plays, but I'd be happy to have daniel Kerr at the swans.

oy yeah him too :o

Cheers

waz