PDA

View Full Version : Swans not biting on new Spida deal

Bas
31st August 2008, 11:59 PM
Danny Weidler from the Sydney Sun Herald writes today that:

"The Swans lool like doing an about face on a new deal for Peter "Spida"Everitt.

They were set to offer him a fresh deal earlier in the year but there is now long odds on that happening.The club should keep him in some capacity.""

Something we all seem to know. Damn age.....

ScottH
1st September 2008, 07:15 AM
I'd like to see him stay as a Ruck coach, seeing as we have a few BIG youngsters on the go.

goswannie14
1st September 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think that it's a coincidence that Jolly's rucking has improved whilst Spida has been at the club. Keep him on as a ruck coach. He appears to be too old to go around again as a player.

Missy
1st September 2008, 10:01 AM
Isn't his plan to head over to NZ when he retires from playing footy?

wolftone57
1st September 2008, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately we will probably go for Jeff White as he wants to continue his AFL Career. But if we do he has one advantage in that he is willing to play for wages (base rate) & that means we could draft some more young big men. We need to start drafting young key position players, 196 cm or over. We have played too short in defence for far too long & it is not sustainable over long periods, the teams with the big marking options always give us trouble. This year has seen the preasure our big men have been under due to this problem & with Spida it was obvious he was past it. I was never in favour of getting Spida in the first place as it was a quick fix.
I think you are right about ruck coaching though, he would be a great asset & he doesn't have the baggage he was carrying at the Hawks (late nights etc).

swantastic
1st September 2008, 10:15 AM
IMO he shouldnt get a gig as a ruckman but he should get a gig as a ruck coach for say 2 years to help the yongsters out.

Primmy
1st September 2008, 12:04 PM
We have got to get Jeff White, so that Jolls can be the senior ruckman which means Whitey will be backup, and that should send a shiver through the Melbourne ranks, 'cos they just didn't give Jolls proper game time. However sweet revenge is, perhaps that is a bit of an expensive way to go.

If Spida will stay on as a coach, we will have the best of the best, and with some of the ranks coming through, it would be a win for us, and perhaps a win for Spida. Here's hoping.

hammo
1st September 2008, 12:08 PM
Recruiting White would be a huge backwards step when we have Currie ready to start his AFL career.

We may draft another ruckman this year but not one aged over 30!

dimelb
1st September 2008, 12:14 PM
Recruiting White would be a huge backwards step when we have Currie ready to start his AFL career.

Agree.

dazza
1st September 2008, 12:23 PM
I think that the Swans getting Jeff White would be a good move but only if they can give him a lot less money because we need pace in the midfield and a key defender as well but I saw that the Swans had a good win on the weekend and hopefully mickey o and goodes and okeefe will be back to terrorise the kangaroos this saturday night

-Doogs-
1st September 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not a fan of recruiting older players. Has the Spida recrutiment been a real success for the team? Maybe just, but not in huge terms.

2 years ago for White yes, but not now.

1st September 2008, 03:08 PM

Big mistake if they chased White.
As Hammo says we have a kid ready to go next year.
If Orreal improves and Skull Murphy keeps getting better we can have LRT/White/Currie all as backups for Jolly.

Robbo
1st September 2008, 05:56 PM
We have got to get Jeff White, so that Jolls can be the senior ruckman which means Whitey will be backup, and that should send a shiver through the Melbourne ranks, 'cos they just didn't give Jolls proper game time. However sweet revenge is, perhaps that is a bit of an expensive way to go.

If Spida will stay on as a coach, we will have the best of the best, and with some of the ranks coming through, it would be a win for us, and perhaps a win for Spida. Here's hoping.

No, we really don't.

Rob-bloods
1st September 2008, 06:42 PM
The reserves watchers and indeed Spida seem to have a rap on Currie, if we could throw Ricky Mott or Chambers into our ruck division surely we can do same with Currie next year even the Canuck maybe!

Nico
1st September 2008, 09:21 PM
Isn't his plan to head over to NZ when he retires from playing footy?

Will still be a long way from squaring the ledger. I wonder if he will salt away his $$$ in a Swiss Bank so he can pick up the dole in NZ.

Nico
1st September 2008, 09:23 PM

Did you watch his game on the weekend, ordinary at the very best. Lurked around the forward 20 for a couple of gift goals. You just wouldn't go there.

BSA5
1st September 2008, 11:16 PM
I think we need to keep Everitt at the club. I wouldn't even be opposed to giving him a one year deal, but having him as a backup and mentor to Currie, who will progress to second-string ruckman. I reckon the best outcome would be ruck coach, though. Considering that of our three potential genuine ruckmen, one is an ex-volleyballer from Queensland that had barely played a game of footy before he was rookie listed, one is a 24 year old ex-rugby union international that had NEVER played a game of footy before he was rookie-listed, and the other is 19, there is plenty to be gained from the continued presence of such an experienced and talented ruckman who's only downfall has been age.

dimelb
1st September 2008, 11:29 PM
Pyke is certainly tall enough to play ruck, but I thought we were looking at his forward potential. Mind you, I think it would be easier to prepare him for the ruck.

T-bag
2nd September 2008, 02:29 AM
Oh my god this thread is dumb:eek:

BSA5
4th September 2008, 12:20 AM
Pyke is certainly tall enough to play ruck, but I thought we were looking at his forward potential. Mind you, I think it would be easier to prepare him for the ruck.

He'll play both, and then the coaching staff will figure out where he is best suited. I'm not really fussed, to be honest. 200cm, 105 kgs covering 100m distances in less than 11 seconds is damaging no matter where on the ground it happens.