PDA

View Full Version : NOG - Is He Back In Form?

TheHood
1st September 2008, 02:30 PM
I am seriously worried by noises from Coach Roos that Mal and NoG found form on Saturday night.

I agree Mal did some fantastic things, he deserves a place in the finals.

However Nog was worse than usual in attack. His confidence is shot to ribbons on top of his average ability.

Only saw it on the box, can anyone confirm, did he do a shut down job on anyone that made a difference?

Triple B
1st September 2008, 02:32 PM
I thought his 1st quarter was about as good as he's been all year. Along with Spida I thought the aliens who abducted McVeigh over the off season and replaced him with a footballer had paid a visit mid week.

Alas, it was a short lived thought.

Go Swannies
1st September 2008, 02:40 PM
I posted this elsewhere but Roos and Horse said at the aftermatch that the team had lifted and singled out just two players. They said that LRT had done one of the best defensive games on Brown that anyone managed this year. And continued that Luke had a great defensive game and "the midfield just doesn't work without him".

Guess their chances of being dropped this week . . .

connolly
1st September 2008, 02:45 PM
I posted this elsewhere but Roos and Horse said at the aftermatch that the team had lifted and singled out just two players. They said that LRT had done one of the best defensive games on Brown that anyone managed this year. And continued that Luke had a great defensive game and "the midfield just doesn't work without him".

Guess their chances of being dropped this week . . .

Will probably take Simpson. Shagger will be having nightmares about the Bevanator.

TheHood
1st September 2008, 02:51 PM
I am okay with LRT.

NoG is a liability in attack. He had 7 kicks and 2 tackles. London to a brick 6/7 were un-targetted.

Looking back, he is averaging between 5 and 9 kicks a game with an estimated efficiency just above 50% and lays 2 or 3 tackles, 2 marks.

I think Luke is a great guy, but he will not contribute enough to jusify a place in this team at the expense of a better player.

Ben Matthews is a more reliable stopper, user and goal kicker than NoG...sad fact!

Go Swannies
1st September 2008, 02:59 PM
I am okay with LRT.

NoG is a liability in attack. He had 7 kicks and 2 tackles. London to a brick 6/7 were un-targetted.

Looking back, he is averaging between 5 and 9 kicks a game with an estimated efficiency just above 50% and lays 2 or 3 tackles, 2 marks.

I think Luke is a great guy, but he will not contribute enough to jusify a place in this team at the expense of a better player.

Ben Matthews is a more reliable stopper, user and goal kicker than NoG...sad fact!

I was saying the same thing after the game (well, not the Ben bit). Then I heard the coaches saying that he is THE vital element in the midfield. So I guess he's not there for attack. Anyway, the discrepany explains why you and I don't have coaching careers . . .

reigning premier
1st September 2008, 03:24 PM
I am seriously worried by noises from Coach Roos that Mal and NoG found form on Saturday night.

I agree Mal did some fantastic things, he deserves a place in the finals.

Didn't see the game but if Eski did anything, it would be the first time this year. He and Ablett have been on par this year. Neither deserves their place in the finals.

TheHood
1st September 2008, 04:55 PM
Didn't see the game but if Eski did anything, it would be the first time this year. He and Ablett have been on par this year. Neither deserves their place in the finals.

Kicked a rippa goal from 65 meters, ran some lines and kicked a couple of handy bullets inside 50.

BSA5
1st September 2008, 11:23 PM

Second time. He dominated in the WC game as well.

liz
2nd September 2008, 12:03 AM
Difference with Malceski and Ablett is that Malceski's best is superb while Ablett's best is just reasonably good. Malceski is undoubtedly affected by injury. I suspect Ablett is too, which is why his season has been so ordinary. I think - and hope - he is capable of more next year if he gets a good pre-season under his belt. But given that he is clearly far from fit, and his fitness is his main "weapon" I don't really see what is to be gained from playing him if it is at the expense of potential matchwinners.

Even an underdone Malceski is capable of unleashing a couple of sizzling kicks, either to score goals or to set up others. So the upside of risking him is far greater than that of risking an underdone Ablett.

Go Swannies
2nd September 2008, 12:09 AM
Liz, you are saying what almost everyone else at the ground was saying - except the Swans coaches. The impression from Horse and Roos was that Luke (who I thought was about our worst on saturday) is the lynchpin of our midfield defence and, as they specifically said "the midfield doesn't work without him". It sounded as if they thought "Baz - forward, Luke - midfield, B2 - back, now who else deserves a game?"

I know there are a lot of nuances that we miss but clearly the coaches consider some part of Luke's game (presumably not the turnovers) vital if we are to win. Go figure. I can't.

Darren Thomson
2nd September 2008, 10:31 PM

I went to the game then watched it when I got home, if Eski is fit he has to be there. NOG on the other hand, well, I would prefer Vespa:)

reigning premier
3rd September 2008, 12:43 AM
Kicked a rippa goal from 65 meters, ran some lines and kicked a couple of handy bullets inside 50.

Second time. He dominated in the WC game as well.

I went to the game then watched it when I got home, if Eski is fit he has to be there. NOG on the other hand, well, I would prefer Vespa:)

Noted....

Just doing my finals series dream team now.... NOG still won't be getting selected.. ;)