PDA

View Full Version : Father of the Year - Roos

anniswan
5th September 2008, 01:13 PM
Just heard on the Radio that Roos has been named Australian Father of the Year

johnno
5th September 2008, 01:55 PM
No disrespect to Roosy, but does father of the year or Australian of the year ever go to someone who is not a sportsman or an actor in this country. I, like lots of other aussies was very annoyed a few years back when Pat Rafter was named Aussie of the year. He doesn't pay any taxes in this country for christ' sake. All he did was come runner up at Wimbledon that year.

ScottH
5th September 2008, 02:05 PM
Pretty much Johnno.
I've been waiting patiently for the call, but missed again this year.

In Vic, and I assume it is the case with other states, and the national one the is FOTY, and Community FOTY. link (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24285112-2862,00.html)

But no one will remember who he was in a few days, but many will remember Tomkins (VicFOTY).

Personally, I think it is a big wank.
Most fathers are FOTY in their kids eyes.

royboy42
5th September 2008, 03:42 PM
Steady on Johnno...doesn't Rafter reside in Australia? makes him a taxpayer!

Plugger46
5th September 2008, 03:49 PM

Couldn't agree more.

NMWBloods
5th September 2008, 03:53 PM
He spent most of his professional career as a resident of Bermuda, and still lives there.

connolly
5th September 2008, 03:56 PM

Has to be a bit more to it than that to be father of the year, week or day. Great honour for Roosey. Well done.

Lohengrin
5th September 2008, 04:01 PM
It's just another bull@@@@ celebrity award.

johnno
5th September 2008, 04:01 PM

resides in Bermuda, which is a tax haven, so no, he doesnt pay taxes here.

Go Swannies
5th September 2008, 04:39 PM
resides in Bermuda, which is a tax haven, so no, he doesnt pay taxes here.

So did John Lennon. And there's a flower in the Botanic Gardens there called Double Fantasy that gave the title to his last album. Also visitors can't hire cars - just scooters. 70 yo Idaho matrons on bikes are scary.

satchmopugdog
5th September 2008, 07:39 PM
By golly you are an ungracious lot.
It is used to bring awareness to the Shepherd centre.

Good on him for being chosen. He obviously must show the qualities that are seen to be given this award. Admittedly one of them is being high profile for publicity sake.

Well done I say.. very good press for the Swans and fathers in general.

AussieAnge
5th September 2008, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=satchmopugdog;410526]
It is used to bring awareness to the Shepherd centre.
QUOTE]

It's not working what is the Shepherd centre?

ScottH
5th September 2008, 08:23 PM
It's just another bull@@@@ celebrity award.

Yep. Makes all the fathers/mothers/carers around the country feel inadequate.
Most of the winners earn more than the average wage.
Lets see them be FOTY on $20K a year.

Swansinger
5th September 2008, 11:33 PM
Just heard on the Radio that Roos has been named Australian Father of the Year

Oh dear !! Let's hope he goes better than the other Swans bloke who became a father just before a finals game in 2006:) .

hot potato
6th September 2008, 12:56 AM
Excellent choice, glad it was Roosey, he's a cool Dad.
Another feather in his cap.

smasher
6th September 2008, 07:23 AM
Good on Roosy.We don't know everything he does in his private life but obviously alot of people take note.Lots of Dad's are nominated so i imagine his tin lids would be very proud of the old man.

ROK Lobster
6th September 2008, 09:49 AM
Sandpit

AussieAnge
6th September 2008, 10:04 AM
carers around the country feel inadequate.

:frown I don't feel inadequate but my wages certainly are.

Primmy
6th September 2008, 12:13 PM
Can't believe some of this mail. No wonder we have issues with numbers at our game tonight. No support from Swans supporters. Roosey was given this honour as FOTY because he was nominated by community in which he works. Maybe some of you don't realise it, but try and look up what this is about. Its awarded to a professional who embodies the ability to happily and sucessfully integrate his profession, his family and his work in the community. Roosey also coaches his son's team as well as ours.

Good on you Roosey. Well deserved.

AussieAnge
6th September 2008, 04:35 PM
Can't believe some of this mail. No wonder we have issues with numbers at our game tonight. No support from Swans supporters. Roosey was given this honour as FOTY because he was nominated by community in which he works. Maybe some of you don't realise it, but try and look up what this is about. Its awarded to a professional who embodies the ability to happily and sucessfully integrate his profession, his family and his work in the community. Roosey also coaches his son's team as well as ours.

Good on you Roosey. Well deserved.

The thing is those chaps have the ability to get balance in their lives and spend more time with their kids. People like Roos, Rafter & Koch work in roles which make it easier for them to go and pick the kids up from school, kick a footy at the park etc. Most dads don't have that luxury as they are working hard to provide the income to keep them housed, feed, clothed etc (as are most mums).
I'm not suggesting that Roos et al are not good dads (and good on them for receiving the award).
I nominate CTS for FOTY.
BTW I agree with ROK this thread should be in the sandpit as it isn't footy related.

Dogzbody
6th September 2008, 07:28 PM
Told my 5yr old son that Roosy got FOTY....

He quickly said to me..."but he's not my Dad...you are":D :D :D

Lucky Knickers
7th September 2008, 12:50 AM
Happy Fathers Day Roosy! That was very very good.