PDA

View Full Version : So much for no atmosphere at Homebush...

Cheer Squad
7th September 2008, 12:32 AM
Only 19,127 people bothered to show up for tonight's game, but at ground level it sounded like there were twice that many. The atmosphere was terrific :) Those members who didn't bother to show up missed one of our best finals wins for some time. Serves you right :p

It will be interesting to see how big the crowd is for next week's semi-final against the Bulldogs at the MCG. They don't have a big fan base - we might even outnumber them.

alison.z
7th September 2008, 12:34 AM
it was truly amazing .... it had the atmosphere of thousands and thousaand more - it was a fantastic night all round and i bet those who didn't go are kicking themselves now .... it even stopped raining at half time!!

Mike_B
7th September 2008, 12:41 AM
From my vantage point on the bean bag, it sounded much much noisier than many games at Homebush with far bigger crowds. I guess the one thing about tonight was that the 19000 out there were the passionate ones, not the ones going out for an event coz it's the place to be seen, and that was reflected in the noise.

cruiser
7th September 2008, 12:53 AM
Only 19,127 people bothered to show up for tonight's game, but at ground level it sounded like there were twice that many. The atmosphere was terrific :) Those members who didn't bother to show up missed one of our best finals wins for some time. Serves you right :p Here here! A great night at the footy. The Sydney chant sounded fantastic and its the most often I've heard it chanted in years. Well done to all those supporters who went tonight for creating such a great atmosphere and well done to the team for playing such a great game, especially after quarter time.

ugg
7th September 2008, 01:00 AM
Big thumbs up to the cheer squad who really got the chants going.

Big Al
7th September 2008, 01:05 AM
Full credit to the 19k who turned up...the noise generated in the second half was amazing.

Glenn
7th September 2008, 01:06 AM
Amazing what can happen when football fans, rather than just people who go to a "event" turn up.

Xie Shan
7th September 2008, 01:06 AM
It was great. I'm not going to judge those who didn't turn up, I know people have varying reasons for not attending (cost, transport etc.) but it was a great night at the footy for those of us that did come! It's a shame there weren't more there to see it, cuz it's games like these that can convert new fans. Most of all I loved the energy with which they played in the second half.

hot potato
7th September 2008, 01:10 AM
They were a fair but savvy lot around us, loud and passionate.
Well we loved being there. You just can't beat it.

AnnieH
7th September 2008, 01:10 AM
Don't ask me why, but there were five ex-pat Victorian colliwobble supporters sitting behind us (in their scarves, hats, etc.) who paid good money to cheer cheer the swans.

They were there because it was "September" and they just loved their footy.

All I could say to them was thanks for putting their money where my mouth was!!

I was impressed.

Big Al
7th September 2008, 01:14 AM
Amazing what can happen when football fans, rather than just people who go to a "event" turn up.

Here Here! All the people around me were just as vocal as I was and for anyone that has had the pleasure of being near me, that's saying something.

CureTheSane
7th September 2008, 01:17 AM
Fair weather supporters.

In the context of the actual weather, and in the context of the climate of our recent play.

Sad to think that the AFL want another team into Sydney.
Haven't really had much of an opinion on the issue, just thought that a second Sydney team would be a good thing for the big picture of AFL.

Tonight changed my mind.

Sydney is not ready for a second team, and it will fail.

cruiser
7th September 2008, 01:20 AM
Haven't really had much of an opinion on the issue, just thought that a second Sydney team would be a good thing for the big picture of AFL.

Tonight changed my mind.

Sydney is not ready for a second team, and it will fail. Surely the AFL can see that now. Bring in Tassie instead. Meanwhile, lets just celebrate tonight's great game and look forward to playing the Dogs next weekend.

gossipcom
7th September 2008, 01:22 AM
Speaking of the crowd, when the players were going around to thank the fans at the end of the match, there were a few extra cheers when they showed Magic on the big screen.

A swans fan
7th September 2008, 01:26 AM

Agreed.

It will be an embarrassing disaster.

ernie koala
7th September 2008, 01:31 AM
For a small crowd the atmosphere was good, especially in the second half...but it would of been twice the crowd and three times louder, with an electric atmosphere, at the Swannies true home ground..the SCG...leave the baron white elephant of Homebush to rugby league.

Glenn
7th September 2008, 01:36 AM
Fair weather supporters.

In the context of the actual weather, and in the context of the climate of our recent play.

Tonight changed my mind.

It seems the AFL has been caught up in the hype of past crowds at Homebush, and didn't bother to look more closely at it.

Xie Shan
7th September 2008, 01:41 AM
Apparently we still had a bigger crowd than tonight's 3 NRL games put together?

source (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490738)

All Sydney crowds have been down this year, the weather combined with the ticket prices/poor promotion/ANZ factor made it worse. I think high petrol prices are biting too. Even the BF posters think tonight's low crowd was an anomaly and I tend to agree.

Big Al
7th September 2008, 01:44 AM
Apparently we still had a bigger crowd than tonight's 3 NRL games put together?

source (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490738)

All Sydney crowds have been down this year, the weather combined with the ticket prices/poor promotion/ANZ factor made it worse. I think high petrol prices are biting too. Even the BF posters think tonight's low crowd was an anomaly and I tend to agree.

Together with the poor crowd in Adelaide the AFL really need to look at their marketing and pricing strategies for finals.

Bob Neil
7th September 2008, 01:59 AM
Together with the poor crowd in Adelaide the AFL really need to look at their marketing and pricing strategies for finals.

Just quietly....

Bought a "Prime" family ticket for $128 that shows $32 face value for each ticket.
No other differrence.
So four adults can use them....
Don't pass it on.

CureTheSane
7th September 2008, 02:18 AM
Used to be the big scam at the Docklands stadium when it was first built.
Kids tickets were like $1 or $2.
You'd purchase them, and the system is to scan yourself to enter. All the bloke watching looked for was a red or green light - no indication of adult or child ticket.
They soon cottoned on though.....

BSA5
7th September 2008, 02:35 AM
I've got to say, I was blown away by the atmosphere. Maybe the secret to Homebush games is to either have 20000 dedicated fans, or 70000+ bandwagoners and genuine supporters, but anywhere in between is @@@@house. I dunno, but it was a bloody fantastic night out. The best time I've had at the footy this year. Followed it up with a trip to the Hoey to catch the end of Rocket Science and a couple of Coopers, capping off a perfect night!

Bear
7th September 2008, 03:04 AM
Totally blows the lazy eastern/NS morons out of the water who think Homebush has no atmosphere.

I'm a lower north shore resident and getting to the SCG is much easier, but I don't mind where we play as long as my team is having a real go.

Tonight the Swans supporters proved Homebush has atmosphere, even with a small crowd. More atmosphere than ANY SCG game in 2008. BY A LONG, LONG WAY.

Myth extinguished.

Bear
7th September 2008, 03:14 AM
Tonight was another stark reason why we desperately need another team in Sydney.

As most insular Melbournians would be unware of, Sydney is a city with several DISTINCT regions. Westies do not relate to eastern suburbs people. Hell, there is even the inner west, then the greater west... notto mention the fact that even people over the north side don't relate to the eastern suburbs. Then there's the 'lower' and 'upper' north shore.

To grow our game we need a team that can truly represent the biggest population in Australia = Western Syeny. Not a perceived upper middle class team like the Swans.

Bring on a team for the West to strengthen AFL and therefore the Swans in Sydney. ASAP - after tonight we need it more than ever.

hammo
7th September 2008, 03:29 AM
Bear, if Western Sydney 'needs' an AFL team where was the critical mass in support of the code tonight?

Bear
7th September 2008, 03:44 AM
Bear, if Western Sydney 'needs' an AFL team where was the critical mass in support of the code tonight?

LOL. People don't come to suupport "the code". They come to support a team they relate to.

This is where you and most miss the point of EXPANDING our game beyond the converted, and i takes hard work, and a generation to develop. If we want to compete with soccer in 20 years we NEED more than the Swans in Sydney.

The swans should not be seen as the sole barometer for AFL, as they only represent a small portion of Sydney.

have another read of my post. Westies don't relate to the Swans, just like most of melbourne don't relate to Collingwood, Carlton, WB, etc

NEWSFLASH: Sorry for the one-eyed suporters, but we are simply not the be-all and end-all to everyone in this city. In fact we are a small niche, just like every other sporting franchise in this very competitive environment. If you don't provide a tailored option for people in this city, they will not engage with you in a meaningful way.

Cheer Squad mbr
7th September 2008, 03:54 AM

:D :D :D

connolly
7th September 2008, 07:13 AM
LOL. People don't come to suupport "the code". They come to support a team they relate to.

This is where you and most miss the point of EXPANDING our game beyond the converted, and i takes hard work, and a generation to develop. If we want to compete with soccer in 20 years we NEED more than the Swans in Sydney.

The swans should not be seen as the sole barometer for AFL, as they only represent a small portion of Sydney.

have another read of my post. Westies don't relate to the Swans, just like most of melbourne don't relate to Collingwood, Carlton, WB, etc

NEWSFLASH: Sorry for the one-eyed suporters, but we are simply not the be-all and end-all to everyone in this city. In fact we are a small niche, just like every other sporting franchise in this very competitive environment. If you don't provide a tailored option for people in this city, they will not engage with you in a meaningful way.

Soccer is insolvent and doesn't represent a threat to anyone except the receivers. With Lowy either in financial trouble or just expiring they will be further exposed. And they still owe the taxpayer 30 million. Tonight proved if any more proof was needed that a second Sydney team would be a disaster. It won't happen within 15 years.

Lucky Knickers
7th September 2008, 08:51 AM
Just quietly....

Bought a "Prime" family ticket for $128 that shows $32 face value for each ticket.
No other differrence.
So four adults can use them....
Don't pass it on.
Gees that annoys me. When I bought my tickets I was told their were no family tickets left in the section we wanted. We didn't care but if you have 2 adults and 2 kids should be able to buy a family ticket no matter where you sit. This is why the AFL get it SO WRONG.

Swansinger
7th September 2008, 09:47 AM
Only nineteen (thousand) ... I reckon Redgum could write a song about it :)

It was a wonderful atmosphere at ANZ last night and , whilst there would be legitimate reasons for some people not turning up , good on Roosy for having a dig at the stay-home "chicken-soupers".

Dave
7th September 2008, 10:25 AM
Awesome atmosphere last night. Can hardly speak this morning from yelling/cheering.
I am, for one, more critical of those who chose not to turn up - if you can't drag yourself to a home final cause of a bit of drizzle then you are soft.
It really was a show of the true supporters last night.

Mind you if North Melbourne actually had ANY supporters we may have seen at least 5000 more from them. They should have gone to the Gold Coast when they had the chance. Brayshaw is a goose.

Primmy
7th September 2008, 10:53 AM
That was the first "stand up" game I have been to in ages. You know, when a goal is worth Standing Up for.

It was also a proper Screamer game. You get to scream yourself silly. I think its because the people there were actually watching the game and having an interaction with it. Not a single discussion about Uncle Charlies operation or "what I saw at the theatre last night" in earshot.

It was wonderful being with just the 19,000 who were there to actually be part of the experience. I didn't love the first quarter, who did, but the rest of it was just....aaaahhhhh.

Ray Chamberlain has taken on the mantle left vacant by Goldspink. We call him Napoleon. Little big man syndrome.

monopoly19
7th September 2008, 11:09 AM
It was a really, really great atmosphere. I was surprised when the 19000 came up because it sounded like much, much more. It was definitely the most enthusiastic cheering I've done at a Swans game this year :D

A wonderful night!

Blood
7th September 2008, 12:57 PM
Awesome atmosphere!!!

And boy did i give it to the cluster of North Nomads fans on the south wing - love it!!

shaun..
7th September 2008, 03:27 PM
The S Y D N E Y chant that went up during the 3rd and 4th quarters was AMAZING :D

TheMase
7th September 2008, 03:36 PM

You and I seem to agree a lot Bear.

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th September 2008, 05:10 PM
From my vantage point on the bean bag, it sounded much much noisier than many games at Homebush with far bigger crowds. I guess the one thing about tonight was that the 19000 out there were the passionate ones, not the ones going out for an event coz it's the place to be seen, and that was reflected in the noise.

You said it Mike. The people there last night were all committed to AFL & the Sydney Swans. There were next to no event watchers & trendies.

It would have been better to have a few more people behind us in Bay 119. But I think we did a pretty decent effort at creating atmosphere all things considering.

19000 real Swans & AFL footy fans = far better noise than 63000 largely event watchers! :cool:

It still doesn't make up for how embarrassing the crowd was. But rather than huffing & puffing & pointing the finger, I'll say this much. Those who went were very very very much rewarded. Those who piked it can please themselves.

Personally I hope the people who stayed at home dont go asking for Grand Final tickets if we make it. It might rain there you know. :mad:

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th September 2008, 05:11 PM

We are only as good as the people who join in mate.

But much appreciated all the same. :D

JF

swantastic
7th September 2008, 05:34 PM

NEWSFLASH: Sorry for the one-eyed supporters, but we are simply not the be-all and end-all to everyone in this city. In fact we are a small niche, just like every other sporting franchise in this very competitive environment. If you don't provide a tailored option for people in this city, they will not engage with you in a meaningful way.Bear you are mistaken you support your team alright but you also support the whole code in general.

I dont like collingwood or Carlton but i will still watch them play,so you need to support the code.

I am ashamed at the pathetic support shown by the so called Swans supporters from Sydney.Fair enough it was poor weather but grow some nuts and get out there and support you team.

On the news flash that just shows how shallow people are from Sydney.

That crowd size just proves the point that there is no room in Sydney for another team.

I bet my balls that if the Swans dont make the finals in a couple of years that the Sydney based members will drop dramatically.You lot up there are very fickle.

Lucky Knickers
7th September 2008, 06:05 PM
So, Swantastic, you support the code but don't support the idea that a second team in Sydney will help grow that code?
Why do you need to be ashamed? If there were 19k there and we have about 20k members in Sydney. Let's take off 500 for north fans and the rest for having other commitments/weather. I think that's very good show of our members. The atmosphere was amazing and the chants fantastic. You actually would have been proud.
You cannot blame the shallowness of Sydney. Point your finger down toward the knuckles at the Dome who didn't put any of the fat pot of cash at their disposal into promoting the game. I did not see one single advert promoting the game in the week. A lot of people in Sydney wouldn't have even known it was on to go get tickets. There was virtually no FTA news coverage of the game during the sports report on the news during the week and very little in the print media.
It was bizarre.

Big Al
7th September 2008, 06:10 PM
So, Swantastic, you support the code but don't support the idea that a second team in Sydney will help grow that code?
Why do you need to be ashamed? If there were 19k there and we have about 20k members in Sydney. Let's take off 500 for north fans and the rest for having other commitments/weather. I think that's very good show of our members. The atmosphere was amazing and the chants fantastic. You actually would have been proud.
You cannot blame the shallowness of Sydney. Point your finger down toward the knuckles at the Dome who didn't put any of the fat pot of cash at their disposal into promoting the game. I did not see one single advert promoting the game in the week. A lot of people in Sydney wouldn't have even known it was on to go get tickets. There was virtually no FTA news coverage of the game during the sports report on the news during the week and very little in the print media.
It was bizarre.

Couldn't agree more. People must remember that a poor crowd turned up to the Crows match and that was in an AFL mad state on a beautiful day against the largest drawing team in the comp. It's not just a Sydney issue.

swantastic
7th September 2008, 07:13 PM
It was bizarre.IMO a second team in Sydney will be a disaster.It just goes to show people the the powers that be in the Sydney media dont rate AFL.I couldnt hear any of the chants on the TV mainle due to the fact the the Riser was very loud all night.If all those people that turned up were members that is great but i bet they werent all members.You dont have to be a member to support your team but it does help,where were the other 2.5 million sydney siders last night?Surley another 35000 could have turned up.

GoSouth33
7th September 2008, 07:29 PM
I think a second team will increase the number of aussie rules supporters. There is NEVER a good time time to bring in a second team. After 26 years in Sydney the Swans still manage to get a 19K crowd last night yet, in all those years we've had sell out games at the SCG and the largest crowds outside of Victoria attending AFL games at Homebush. It's frustrating I know, there is a fickleness there, but you've to keep trying to grow the game and, a second team will help.

I loved Roosey's comment about hopefully there being people at home watching it on TV with their heaters and chicken soup and hot chocolate!!! hehe.....

Give me the live atmosphere everyday of the week.

Mogg0
7th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Apparently the ratings were good. Let's hope so.

cruiser
7th September 2008, 08:38 PM
\You lot up there are very fickle. Back off swantastic. Taking a shot at all Sydney based supporters, including those who went to the game, is hardly fair. I was as pissed off as you are with the size of the crowd, as postings I made on RWO on Friday and Saturday morning will also attest. To have a go at all Swans supporters up here is a bit much (and a bit BigFooty).

See you at the G on Friday.

swantastic
7th September 2008, 08:39 PM
The crowd was the worst in VFL/AFL finals since 1902

alison.z
7th September 2008, 08:44 PM
The crowd was the worst in VFL/AFL finals since 1924.

i really couldn't care less about the numbers - it was amazing being there and the atmosphere was awesome .... it was a fantastic way to see out the season at home and i just feel sorry for the people who now wish they had gone .... it was an anomaly due to many extenuating circumstances so i wouldn't be too worried about numbers at all.

monopoly19
7th September 2008, 09:53 PM
Don't know if any of them post here, but to the group that sings the "I love you Barry" song - it is hilarious!

goswannie14
7th September 2008, 09:56 PM
Don't know if any of them post here, but to the group that sings the "I love you Barry" song - it is hilarious!Tell us more!

monopoly19
7th September 2008, 09:59 PM
Tell us more!
It's to the chorus of "Can't take my eyes off you" by Frankie Vallie and goes something like this:

"We love you Barry
Because you've got no hair
We love you Barry
Because you're everywhere
We love you Barry
blah blah blah Idon'tknowtherest"

Pretty funny.

woo
7th September 2008, 10:38 PM
I was there, not my brother who bailed last min (north supporter) because of the rain...sooky sooky la la I say to anyone who did not go, was not raining hard and I agree, for the first time since THAT soccer game the ground had some atmosphere and I thought i would never say that again. I do however feel for the people sitting in front of me, I was abusing in the first half everything and anything- then I was cheering!... Only the real supporters at that game but that came down to really high prices for tickets, no one likes north, we have not played well for the second half of the season...and being at telstra.

just booked the flights to melbs...dont even look at qantas flights absolutely ridiculous prices.
On a side note went to a function before the last game and the talk was the new team- I think the swans club are not fans only due to how long it has taken them to get on their feet without the AFL's help (financially)..ie 25 years....otherwise they are for the new team

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th September 2008, 10:57 PM
The crowd was the worst in VFL/AFL finals since 1924.

Part of me is embarrassed & disgusted at statistics like this. Part of me thinks "Meh, their loss. They missed a great game & an effort from the boys that stirs the cockles. Who missed them!" It showed who are the true Sydney Swans fans were & who are just there for the ride, I'm afraid. In a city where image & appearance is everything, toughing it out in the cold is obviously not on the High Society list.

As I expected most Sydneysiders would rather even forgo tickets that cost up to $70 than sit in the rain to support their team. Can't let our tans run or our hair dos fall out of shape. Can't wear designer jackets & leather jackets & look stylish & glamorous when it is cold & you are getting that "oh water is trickling down my back into my undies" feeling. :mad:

It is definitely not all the Sydney public's fault & Demetriou & the Melbourne-centric boffins just think that saying it is AFL finals time in Sydney is enough to get people interested & wanting to attend. They have taken the Sydney public for granted in a greedy attempt at revenue raising (high prices for tickets, low outlay on advertising) & have been embarrassed by it all. I just hope they learn their lessons & NEVER do it again! :mad:

JF

Primmy
7th September 2008, 11:24 PM
As you said in the paragraph above, absolutely right. We get taken for granted, over charged, and ignored for most of the year, then they wonder where all the people are! Bulletin boys. Not everyone loves AFL. Just us.

There are 19,000 people who belong to the "I Was There" Club, and its exclusive.

ROK Lobster
7th September 2008, 11:26 PM
As I expected most Sydneysiders would rather even forgo tickets that cost up to $70 than sit in the rain to support their team. Can't let our tans run or our hair dos fall out of shape. Can't wear designer jackets & leather jackets & look stylish & glamorous when it is cold & you are getting that "oh water is trickling down my back into my undies" feeling. :mad:

JFMaybe they thought that Sydney would dish up the inept and insipid sort of performance that they have delivered at Homebush earlier in the season?

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th September 2008, 12:03 AM
Maybe they thought that Sydney would dish up the inept and insipid sort of performance that they have delivered at Homebush earlier in the season?

Maybe I had fears of that myself. But I still went & toughed it out in the rain & cold.

JF
PS:- You'd have loved it yesterday mate. Could have swum to the game! ;)

connolly
8th September 2008, 09:06 AM
Maybe they thought that Sydney would dish up the inept and insipid sort of performance that they have delivered at Homebush earlier in the season?

If they thought that they don't really understand or appreciate the character of the team they "support".

Missy
8th September 2008, 10:01 AM
It's to the chorus of "Can't take my eyes off you" by Frankie Vallie and goes something like this:

"We love you Barry
We love you Barry
We love you Barry

Pretty funny.

That was us. :)

j s
8th September 2008, 10:23 AM
As most insular Melbournians would be unware of, Sydney is a city with several DISTINCT regions. Westies do not relate to eastern suburbs people. Hell, there is even the inner west, then the greater west... notto mention the fact that even people over the north side don't relate to the eastern suburbs. Then there's the 'lower' and 'upper' north shore.
You forgot the Shire and the Northern Beaches. There are many people living in those two areas that rarely leave them.

Triple B
8th September 2008, 10:38 AM
As most have said, the noise was very loud and those supporters who were there were passionate.

The other factor is because the crowd was so small in such a large stadium, yet also so vocal, there was a really large echoing effect.

The slow 'S y d n e y' chant was born on Rd22 1996 on the most miserable of nights imaginable, much worse than last Saturday night. On that night, The majority of the 29K crowd (I looked it up :) ) were crammed into any under cover area they could find. The Noble was packed to the rafters with people sitting in the aisles from the walkway back up to the top, with barely anybody sitting forward of the walkway in the normally crowded area because the rain was pelting in horizontally. The effect was that when the chant got going, it echoed eerily throughout the covered sections of the stands where everybody was.

This echoing is what makes the chant so special and when in full cry is what makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Bear
8th September 2008, 11:48 AM
You and I seem to agree a lot Bear.

Lol. Welcome to the minority :)

Bear
8th September 2008, 11:56 AM
Soccer is insolvent and doesn't represent a threat to anyone except the receivers.

Tonight proved if any more proof was needed that a second Sydney team would be a disaster. It won't happen within 15 years.

Alarmingly ignorant.

The Federal Government through the Australian Sports Commission has just committed another $50m to the world game, including a national womens league, national youth league, and of course the A-League. Sponsorship and revenues are growing considerably, with TV rights for A-League and Socceroos to rise massively at the next negotiation.

The Western Sydney team is starting in 2012. Fact.

Heard the term 'fiddle while Rome burns'? :rolleyes:

swantastic
8th September 2008, 12:08 PM
Back off swantastic. Taking a shot at all Sydney based supporters, including those who went to the game, is hardly fair. I was as pissed off as you are with the size of the crowd, as postings I made on RWO on Friday and Saturday morning will also attest. To have a go at all Swans supporters up here is a bit much (and a bit BigFooty).

See you at the G on Friday.I'm not having a go at the people on here as we all seem very passionate,but the Sydney public are very fickle when it comes to sports teams.

The people who went to the game i say well done great support.

What i'm saying is that surly another 15/20000 could have gone to the game.

Its a final FFS.I was pissed off that i couldnt go and the only reason i didnt was because of work commitments.

See you at the G too.:)

Flossie
8th September 2008, 12:16 PM
As you said in the paragraph above, absolutely right. We get taken for granted, over charged, and ignored for most of the year, then they wonder where all the people are! Bulletin boys. Not everyone loves AFL. Just us.

There are 19,000 people who belong to the "I Was There" Club, and its exclusive.
I am in that "I was there" Club and it was very disappointing to see such a small crowd. But us who were there were very passionate and vocal. I just also want to make a small point here. Some posters on here assume that most of the swans members and fans come from the eastern suburbs. If you saw the numbers on the trains and buses coming in from the west when we play at anz, and the people on the shuttle buses when we play at scg you might change your mind. I come from Parramatta area and have been a swannies supporter since I first came to live in Australia 25 years ago.

Mr Magoo
8th September 2008, 12:17 PM
Unbelievable atmosphere for such a small crowd made of what looked like real supporters.

I had to laugh at the size of the North supporter group at the southern end of the ground ground. They are in real trouble if this is the size of their die hard membership base.

A number of factors contributed to crowd size :
1. Ticket prices - $75 for a ticket for any side on viewing of the game or $60 on the edge of that side on view is steep and out of reach for many after forking our upwards of $300 for membership during the year. Surely there could be a discounting regime for members put in place to encourage them to open their wallets one more time.

2. Catering Prices - $6 for a tooheys new is rape and pillage. People arent stupid and factor this in with ticket prices so therefore knowing they have to allow upwards of $100 for the night. Not something other than the diehard supporter base are prepared to do on a night like saturday.

3. The weather - sydney people simply dont like the wet weather and wont go to a game especially out at homebush when the weather is miserable. There would have been very few walkup sales on the night.

4. Fan Base - I have said before that AFl is the third or even fourth most popular sport in Sydney. What you saw on Saturday night was the fan base. The ones who would still be there whether the swans were going well or not. AFL is yet to understand this.

5. ANZ Stadium - people dont like the stadium or the way its run. Its run by business people who are concerned purely with milking the fan for as much as they can with the lowest possible outlay. No passouts (a ridiculous notion) , expensive catering etc dont really sit well supporters.

Margie
8th September 2008, 12:33 PM
The slow 'S y d n e y' chant was born on Rd22 1996 on the most miserable of nights imaginable, much worse than last Saturday night. On that night, The majority of the 29K crowd (I looked it up :) ) were crammed into any under cover area they could find. The Noble was packed to the rafters with people sitting in the aisles from the walkway back up to the top, with barely anybody sitting forward of the walkway in the normally crowded area because the rain was pelting in horizontally. The effect was that when the chant got going, it echoed eerily throughout the covered sections of the stands where everybody was.

This echoing is what makes the chant so special and when in full cry is what makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

I remember getting into bed that night with the "Sydney" chant echoing in my head. It was such a memorable game for so many reasons - the weather, becoming minor premiers - but that chant epitomised the crowd's passion for the Swans.

Jeffers1984
8th September 2008, 01:19 PM

"We love you Barry
We love you Barry
We love you Barry

Pretty funny.
These guys sit in bay 29 at the SCG where i am. I think it goes:

We love you Barry
because you've got no hair
we love you Barry
because your everywhere
we love you Barry
Sydney Swans Through and Through

They also have a Michael O'Loughlin song to the tune of Walking in a winter wonderland. Can't remember how that one goes.

ScottH
8th September 2008, 01:19 PM
I remember getting into bed that night with the "Sydney" chant echoing in my head. It was such a memorable game for so many reasons - the weather, becoming minor premiers - but that chant epitomised the crowd's passion for the Swans.

You both left off the most important part of that night. The opponent!! :D

Triple B
8th September 2008, 01:21 PM

Hehehehe...at the time they were just another opponent. Ten years on from 1996, it would have been sooooooooo much sweeter. :p :p

Margie
8th September 2008, 01:32 PM

Now that you mention it..... Like Triple B said didn't matter at the time. They were just another rival back then :)

ScottH
8th September 2008, 01:34 PM
Hehehehe...at the time they were just another opponent. Ten years on from 1996, it would have been sooooooooo much sweeter. :p :p

Now that you mention it..... Like Triple B said didn't matter at the time. They were just another rival back then :)

Probably true, but it was an exceptional win in the conditions.

I first experienced the Sydney chant at the GF parade.
It is pretty cool when it gets going.

SwallowdaFonz
8th September 2008, 01:36 PM
Another significant factor for us is Ticketek - I hate booking finals tickets through them. We always buy first thing Monday and are always told - regardless of which Ticketek office -that "all those seats have been sold already, we can only give you these (crap) seats here". Then sure enough, empty seats galore on the night right where we wanted to sit.

Having said that, it didn't stop us attending on Sat night. Yep, it was great. Let's hope the late season resurgence is not a mirage.

Unbelievable atmosphere for such a small crowd made of what looked like real supporters.

I had to laugh at the size of the North supporter group at the southern end of the ground ground. They are in real trouble if this is the size of their die hard membership base.

A number of factors contributed to crowd size :
1. Ticket prices - $75 for a ticket for any side on viewing of the game or $60 on the edge of that side on view is steep and out of reach for many after forking our upwards of $300 for membership during the year. Surely there could be a discounting regime for members put in place to encourage them to open their wallets one more time.

2. Catering Prices - $6 for a tooheys new is rape and pillage. People arent stupid and factor this in with ticket prices so therefore knowing they have to allow upwards of $100 for the night. Not something other than the diehard supporter base are prepared to do on a night like saturday.

3. The weather - sydney people simply dont like the wet weather and wont go to a game especially out at homebush when the weather is miserable. There would have been very few walkup sales on the night.

4. Fan Base - I have said before that AFl is the third or even fourth most popular sport in Sydney. What you saw on Saturday night was the fan base. The ones who would still be there whether the swans were going well or not. AFL is yet to understand this.

5. ANZ Stadium - people dont like the stadium or the way its run. Its run by business people who are concerned purely with milking the fan for as much as they can with the lowest possible outlay. No passouts (a ridiculous notion) , expensive catering etc dont really sit well supporters.

Wardy
8th September 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not having a go at the people on here as we all seem very passionate,but the Sydney public are very fickle when it comes to sports teams.

The people who went to the game i say well done great support.

What i'm saying is that surly another 15/20000 could have gone to the game.

Its a final FFS.I was pissed off that i couldnt go and the only reason i didnt was because of work commitments.

See you at the G too.:)

I was mighty annoyed that I couldnt go - However, family and friends come first - I thought that the Swans would have been playing in Melbourne so made plans prior to the playing of the Brisbane game to go away. Even so I wasnt going to cancel my plans just to appease supporters of a football team that I happen to follow.
We dont know the circumstances of those who didnt show up - it could have been the cost, the weather and god forbid they had other plans - it happens - its not ideal, but its happen's - now time to move on.

Danzar
8th September 2008, 02:05 PM
One word - awesome. And a top effort by all.

Man, I couldn't even wish my dad a happy fathers day yesterday - I had completely lost my voice.

Anyone sitting around gate H, bay 112, it was good yelling with you.

Captain
8th September 2008, 02:18 PM
Not a single discussion about Uncle Charlies operation or "what I saw at the theatre last night" in earshot.

Spot on. How good was it to actually watch the footy instead of hearing some idiot talking.

Captain
8th September 2008, 02:25 PM

Only following winners is the first sign of being a loser.

Captain
8th September 2008, 02:29 PM
We dont know the circumstances of those who didnt show up - it could have been the cost, the weather and god forbid they had other plans - it happens - its not ideal, but its happen's - now time to move on.

It sure does. Look at Fitzroy.

Wardy
8th September 2008, 02:33 PM
It sure does. Look at Fitzroy.

We are not Fitzroy by a long shot - but it should make the dimwits at AFL house to reconsider a second team here (which initially I was all for it - but now I'm not so convinced its needed - Tassie should have got a chance)

EMJ
8th September 2008, 02:49 PM
I loved it. I love very much the "Sydney chant" and got it started a bit in the Cheer Squad.
Good on the cheer squad for chants and we have also had a great time making and preparing banners for the year.

Hard work but certainly great when you see the guys play and it is always good to give something back when you receive something.

Great atmostphere

Cant go to game this week due to being Polling Place Manager in Sydney.
Daughter going instead.

Will save money earned for the grand final.

Loved the way Goodes kissed his armbands after he shot the goal to say that is for you - for Mr Brain previous timekeeper who passed away.

swantastic
8th September 2008, 03:16 PM
I was mighty annoyed that I couldnt go - However, family and friends come first - I thought that the Swans would have been playing in Melbourne so made plans prior to the playing of the Brisbane game to go away. Even so I wasnt going to cancel my plans just to appease supporters of a football team that I happen to follow.
We dont know the circumstances of those who didnt show up - it could have been the cost, the weather and god forbid they had other plans - it happens - its not ideal, but its happen's - now time to move on.I understand all that Wardy but you would reckon that from the biggest city in Australia we could have gotten 35/40000 to an Sydney Swans home final.

Melbourne Storm even got 14000 to the game on Sunday night.

BTW...3 Times in a row for the minor premiership for the STORM.:D

Wardy
8th September 2008, 03:32 PM
I understand all that Wardy but you would reckon that from the biggest city in Australia we could have gotten 35/40000 to an Sydney Swans home final.

Melbourne Storm even got 14000 to the game on Sunday night.

BTW...3 Times in a row for the minor premiership for the STORM.:D

Nah its going to be the year of the Shark - Up up Cronulla the boys in the Black white and Blue!!!! (nieces hubby is the club physio) although I'm really a St George girl!!!

I really think that economics played a huge part for some up here - plus the weather didnt help - poor excuses - but I guess its a sign of the times.

Primmy
8th September 2008, 03:39 PM

Anyone remember that David Wirrpunder had to be hunted down on a fishing trip to get to that game at age 17, because the Wiggles were short of players... One of my all time favourite games. We Swanny supporters became a single unit perhaps for the first time ever. Distinctly remember being soaked to the bone and loving it.