PDA

View Full Version : Booing former players

top40
8th October 2008, 08:22 AM
I personally am against booing any former players. I particularly get annoyed when Swans fans boo a player like Adam Schneider, who had no say in his own departure.

I wonder however how the Swans fans will react to Ryan O'Keefe, if next year he is playing against Sydney in different colours? What seems to be fairly obvious is that O'Keefe is desperate to leave the Swans, and will be prepared to go anywhere in the AFL other than staying at Sydney, even if it is at a much lower price than he's currently asking for.

Jeffers1984
8th October 2008, 08:28 AM
I reckon he will be booed till kingdom come.

CureTheSane
8th October 2008, 08:35 AM
I personally am against booing any former players. I particularly get annoyed when Swans fans boo a player like Adam Schneider, who had no say in his own departure.

I wonder however how the Swans fans will react to Ryan O'Keefe, if next year he is playing against Sydney in different colours? What seems to be fairly obvious is that O'Keefe is desperate to leave the Swans, and will be prepared to go anywhere in the AFL other than staying at Sydney, even if it is at a much lower price than he's currently asking for.

I'm pretty much the same.

Very rare that I'll boo ever.
Maybe if an opposition player pulls 'a Hall' and whacks another player, but even then I'd be booing for the fun of being involved with the peer group pressure of the Swans supporters around me, if not to encourage that really funny person in the crowd who yells out those really whitty comments to continue to do so.

dimelb
8th October 2008, 09:23 AM
Childish behaviour.

AnnieH
8th October 2008, 09:37 AM
If he does go, I'm gunna boo him for being a traitor. How many players out there have become lifetime members of their clubs, then, in the very next breath, leave. Stats someone??
If he stays, I'll still be booing him ... he wouldn't be putting in 100%.

I think duck butt's burnt his bridge.

Flossie
8th October 2008, 10:07 AM
I am also against booing players,(especially Sneids) but I might make an exception with Ryan 'Keefe. I think he is a traitor, but I am not surprised he is looking to leave. All last season he looked to me as if he didn't want to be here. Who knows what the problem is. Maybe he is hungry for another premiership medal and doesnt think he will get one with us.

Plugger46
8th October 2008, 10:44 AM
I don't boo anyone and won't start with O'Keefe.

hammo
8th October 2008, 10:57 AM
Booing happens in every sporting venue around the world except the Brewongle concourse.

Jeffers1984
8th October 2008, 11:01 AM
Booing happens in every sporting venue around the world except the Brewongle concourse.

No instead they clap after a pathetic performance.

Damien
8th October 2008, 12:02 PM
I normally hold back from booing - occasionally go after Rocca and Grant.

I am pretty sure I will be very hostile towards ROK though. His departure has probably stung me more than any other player in the past 15 years or so.

AnnieH
8th October 2008, 12:21 PM

You can't boo and sip chardonnay at the same time Hammo.

(Booing happens a lot in the upper decks of the Brewongle ... much to the distain of the chardy drinkers up there!!)

I can hear Big Al booing our current players from my seat - he sits four bays away!:)

ScottH
8th October 2008, 12:26 PM
I like to boo Goodes and Hall, just so I fit in with the rest of the crowd.

CureTheSane
8th October 2008, 12:43 PM
I like to boo Goodes and Hall, just so I fit in with the rest of the crowd.

:)

As for Rocca, he's a Collingwood player.
Different rules apply :D

swansrule100
8th October 2008, 12:51 PM
i cant boo it hurts my mouth

ScottH
8th October 2008, 01:15 PM
i cant boo it hurts my mouth

What about the other one? :eek:

ShockOfHair
8th October 2008, 02:52 PM
I won't be booing but if ROK goes I'll give him my most withering look.

While on the topic, why does Goodes get booed? Protected species? Over-rated? Haughty style?

AnnieH
8th October 2008, 02:53 PM
I won't be booing but if ROK goes I'll give him my most withering look.

While on the topic, why does Goodes get booed? Protected species? Over-rated? Haughty style?

Jealousy.

ShockOfHair
8th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Jealousy.

Ah. That also explains the crowd noise when I take my seat.

reigning premier
8th October 2008, 03:19 PM
No Booing = N.A.R.F

Primmy
8th October 2008, 03:23 PM
It will be interesting in 2009. Would never boo Schneids nor Dempster. But, will I be able to contain myself with ROK. My blood pressure may have the say here. Or perhaps if we ignore him he may go away. Booing Shagga didn't do him any harm. Perhaps if we get an outstanding trade we will feel differently about ROK. Then again, as he would have to be the first SUCCESSFUL player to leave us in heavens knows how long, perhaps it would be all too much. We don't boo Scotty, and he wanted to go, but he wasn't getting a game in Sydney, so good luck to him. I guess that makes the difference, those who are good and want to leave are the "unforgiven".

AnnieH
8th October 2008, 03:28 PM
Ah. That also explains the crowd noise when I take my seat.

Nah, that's the sound of the crowd gasping that the stand isn't going to collapse around your huge arse!!;) :) :D

(Sorry Scott, I know you've got the hugest arse at RWO - I just couldn't resist!!)

Jewels
8th October 2008, 04:21 PM
I am pretty sure I will be very hostile towards ROK though. His departure has probably stung me more than any other player in the past 15 years or so.

100% agree

R&WtilIDie
8th October 2008, 04:48 PM
I'll boo ROK. His situation is completely different to Schneids and Dempster. I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Tell you the truth, the longer all this speculation about ROK goes on, the more I wish he'd just @@@@ off and pick another team.

goswannie14
8th October 2008, 05:03 PM
If a player is traded, ala Dempster and Schneider, I won't boo them, but if someone wants to go, I will boo every time they go near the ball.

573v30
8th October 2008, 05:36 PM
If a player is traded, ala Dempster and Schneider, I won't boo them, but if someone wants to go, I will boo every time they go near the ball.

Same here, but I'd rather boo them when they're kicking for goal and cheer when they miss. :D

8th October 2008, 06:33 PM
I'll boo ROK. His situation is completely different to Schneids and Dempster. I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Tell you the truth, the longer all this speculation about ROK goes on, the more I wish he'd just @@@@ off and pick another team.

Spot on , hes been a real tool now and even by a slim chance he stays he will become my new whipping boy.

Dogzbody
8th October 2008, 06:47 PM
I don't "boo", but I can say in this instance I will be wishing the worst possible success for Ryan O'keefe. I don't know (but am pretty sure) I speak for many Swans supporters when I say that I feel like a partner who has walked in on their important other shagging a bunch of whores (male or female) just to show how inadequate "home" is.

He has been one of my favourite all time players, and his behavior surrounding this whole departure has left me a bit ......how do you say it....betrayed?

I understand that footy is a short term prospect for players....but for goodness sake....if you are making 400K a year from your long term home, then at least show some respect when you would like to change the scenario.

I wont "boo" ever to any player, I love all football, but this particular Swan who appears to have traded his wings for giant talons doesn't impress me!

EDIT:...and every other Swan who has gone to another club for whatever reason, whenever they get touches and play well I still think "good for you mate well done. This one will be a definite NO!

Jeffers1984
8th October 2008, 06:53 PM
As soon as the trade is confirmed, ROK can well and truly get @@@@@@.

Gave every indication he was going to stay a week before the brownlow, even gave a verbal agreement to stay a Swan with Roos the person who raised him from the scrap spare parts player he was in 2002 and help turn him into a dominating forward.
Goes to the Brownlow meets up with some moneybag turd who gets in his ear feeding him all bull@@@@ and then sticks it up to Roos.

@@@@ing @@@@ form ROK. You deserve all the ridicule you get next year.

573v30
8th October 2008, 07:59 PM

Gave every indication he was going to stay a week before the brownlow, even gave a verbal agreement to stay a Swan with Roos the person who raised him from the scrap spare parts player he was in 2002 and help turn him into a dominating forward.
Goes to the Brownlow meets up with some moneybag turd who gets in his ear feeding him all bull@@@@ and then sticks it up to Roos.

Odds on favourite to start a thread similar to Judd's departure last year on EFH.

Jeffers1984
8th October 2008, 10:07 PM

Wow i was well and truly on angry pills before.. i'm ok now :) :D

bloodboy
8th October 2008, 10:15 PM
C'mon...he is a premiership player, no need to boo him. I am a little annoyed that he is just up and leaving but I think you have to look at it from his perspective for a minute. He was actually going to walk away from football a few years ago when his brother died. I think that has always been in the back of his mind and I know from my personal experience, life in Sydney is not for everyone...give him a break, he gave us a lot of good years - never forget that.

Bas
8th October 2008, 10:15 PM
You can't blame him looking after his own best interest. Footy is business and players are either breeding stock or pet food.

ugg
8th October 2008, 10:16 PM
I will feel very sad rather than angry once it becomes official, and especially so when he lines up in another team's uniform. Definitely one of my favourite players.

cruiser
8th October 2008, 10:31 PM
O'Keefe has been a complete @@@@@ during this whole process. I want him to go now and I will boo him loudly next year. I will never boo Schneider or Dempster as they were traded against their wishes (booing a player while he is kicking for goal doesnt count as you're not booing the player, rather you're just trying to put them off their kick).

Bas
8th October 2008, 10:39 PM
I only ever disliked a few past players. Rocca, of whom I have a signature on a Swans jumper after the 96 Granny. Grant because he wimped like Rocca.
Greg Stafford whilst he was still with the Swans.

I wouldn't waste my breath booing ROK. He has been with the Swans a long time. He didn't leave after his brother was killed and at 28 yrs, the Swans recruiters are not going to put him in a position to be in another GF let alone win one.

You can't blame the gut. If the Swans stuff up on the deal with pilchard, it's not his fault.

Release and hope for a good deal.

There ends the sermon.

snajik
9th October 2008, 01:17 PM
C'mon...he is a premiership player, no need to boo him. I am a little annoyed that he is just up and leaving but I think you have to look at it from his perspective for a minute. He was actually going to walk away from football a few years ago when his brother died. I think that has always been in the back of his mind and I know from my personal experience, life in Sydney is not for everyone...give him a break, he gave us a lot of good years - never forget that.

Nice to see some logic amongst a sea of mostly puerile crap. ROK had every reason to return to Melbourne after his brother's tragedy but decided to stay and has given great service ever since. There are exceptions to the rule, whatever the rule is.

goswannies
9th October 2008, 06:24 PM
Just wondering, take footy out of the equation... how many RWOers have quit their jobs because they didn't like the work environment or were offered more $. How many of you would?

AFL footy is essentially a business, but their careers are typically much shorter and there is no long service leave.

bargey
9th October 2008, 06:47 PM
i will be booing my lungs out at him.

boooooooo!

goswannie14
9th October 2008, 06:49 PM
Nice to see some logic amongst a sea of mostly puerile crap. ROK had every reason to return to Melbourne after his brother's tragedy but decided to stay and has given great service ever since. There are exceptions to the rule, whatever the rule is.Good to see people so accepting of other peoples opinions.:rolleyes:

Damien
9th October 2008, 07:13 PM
He'll be getting one hell of a boo from me for the rest of his career if he goes into the PSD just DAYS after becoming a life member of this great club.

I am already pretty annoyed at him but if we get nothing :mad:

Big Al
9th October 2008, 07:46 PM

(Booing happens a lot in the upper decks of the Brewongle ... much to the distain of the chardy drinkers up there!!)

I can hear Big Al booing our current players from my seat - he sits four bays away!:)

:D
The players really appreciate all the advice that I offer them.

I won't be booing Gordan Gekko...sorry Ryan O'keefe but I will be offering the usual advice that I reserve for Collingwood players and be telling him that he can get his ticket home by lining up in the far queue.

reigning premier
9th October 2008, 11:33 PM

:D
The players really appreciate all the advice that I offer them.

I won't be booing Gordan Gekko...sorry Ryan O'keefe but I will be offering the usual advice that I reserve for Collingwood players and be telling him that he can get his ticket home by lining up in the far queue.

Oh FFS....

Will you two just get a room and get it over with???? :p ;) :D

AnnieH
10th October 2008, 11:06 AM
Oh FFS....

Will you two just get a room and get it over with???? :p ;) :D

We did.
:eek:

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

snajik
10th October 2008, 01:31 PM
Good to see people so accepting of other peoples opinions.:rolleyes:

That's the beauty of free speech I suppose. Any misinformed or ill-advised foghorn can offer their half-baked theories on practically anything. Some of them even make a living from it. Returning to context however, I would have thought that I was more than accepting of Bloodboy?s comment.

I particularly like this new concept of booing ROK for staying. What a novel idea.

Matty10
10th October 2008, 01:39 PM
No, I'm not into booing former Swans players, but if he became an umpire...