PDA

View Full Version : What happens now?

Bas
10th October 2008, 05:58 PM
Hopeless trade week.

We acquired one player who had a good year this year but future will be interesting.

We have picks 12, 30 and 61 and 62.

We must draft minimum of three. We have two players retired but will need another two to go if there are no promotions from the rookies.

I'm guessing re-building will not start next year unless we.

ROK will probably walk into PSD in an attempt to get to Carltank.

I can't believe that no one else was interested in any of our players.

I think if we can make the top 8 next year we will be lucky.

Bas
10th October 2008, 06:15 PM
It would be a good opportunity for the Club to promote Murphy, Orreal and perhaps two others next year. This would clear out the rookie list for a maximum intake next year.

I'd give Davo another year especially if we lose rok.

How long did BBH sign for? I doubt he would break his contract to go boxing now.

BSA5
10th October 2008, 06:28 PM
Hopeless trade week.

We acquired one player who had a good year this year but future will be interesting.

We have picks 12, 30 and 61 and 62.

We must draft minimum of three. We have two players retired but will need another two to go if there are no promotions from the rookies.

I'm guessing re-building will not start next year unless we.

ROK will probably walk into PSD in an attempt to get to Carltank.

I can't believe that no one else was interested in any of our players.

I think if we can make the top 8 next year we will be lucky.

We can draft two players and promote a rookie. Picks 12, 30 and Murphy sound good to me.

And I got word (my source is a Carlton supporter) that the Swans turned down a better offer from Carlton than what the Hawks where offering, even after they said they weren't interested. To me, that sounds like the Swans were very confident O'Keefe would sign should no deal be reached.

Rob-bloods
10th October 2008, 07:25 PM
We can draft two players and promote a rookie. Picks 12, 30 and Murphy sound good to me.

And I got word (my source is a Carlton supporter) that the Swans turned down a better offer from Carlton than what the Hawks where offering, even after they said they weren't interested. To me, that sounds like the Swans were very confident O'Keefe would sign should no deal be reached.

To be honest, if it was 12 for 6 and a player who was any chop at all I would have taken it.

ScottH
11th October 2008, 09:51 AM
Looks like Currie may get a run next year, given that we didn't seek a ruckman to replace spida.

Maybe we might see a bit of a youth policy next year.

Glenn
11th October 2008, 10:18 AM
We have seen it this season just past with the likes of Vez,Jack,Barlow,Bird,Brabazon,etc playing some part in the season. :confused:

Robbo
11th October 2008, 10:21 AM
Having pick 61 as our 3rd pick is a little worrying, but we should get two quality kids with 12 and 30.

I'm assuming Smith will be promoted, meaning we will have to delist at least 3 blokes.

Chances to be delisted: Brabazon, Davis, Cheese, Brennan, Schmidt.

mcs
11th October 2008, 01:21 PM
I doubt Cheese will go, at the Dogs game here in Canberra was right near the tunnel and a few of the coaches were talking with Cheese (Maxfield was one and didnt know the rest) and they were very happy with his performance int he reserves the day before on his comeback, and the way they were talking he seemed very much in future plans. Davis may go, but if ROK does I doubt he will and I reckon Schmidt or Brennan will go and be unluck to do so, but thats footy.

Donners
11th October 2008, 03:08 PM
So if ROK goes, what happens to the money he would have been paid under the offered contract? Surely we won't pick up a player of similar value with such a late PSD pick. Perhaps we will have a fair bit of room for re-signing next season.

gossipcom
11th October 2008, 08:37 PM
I think Brennan will mostly be one of the ones who will be delisted, which is a shame because as much crap as the guy is given on these boards, when he filled in for Leo in the backline this season he was pretty damn good. Would have been my suggestion of the person to take over the fullback position when Leo retires.

RogueSwan
13th October 2008, 12:46 PM
With Davis out, and possibly Pebbles, does that mean Vespa will be given more time in the Forwards? As long as he knows how to tackle:rolleyes:

Justice
13th October 2008, 01:45 PM

Murphy is on a two year rookie contract. Accordingly, it is unlikely he will be promted to the senior list. By not promoting him we (just promoted myself to the Swans recruiting staff :) ) have the capacity to promote another rookie (Smith, O'Dwyer or another?) or use the selection in the national draft or pre-season draft.

This then gives the Swans an additional player on the senior list while still being able to have Murphy as a nominated rookie (depending upon the veteran list status of players like O'Loughlin, Barry and Kirk) available for promotion.

Cheers

Justice

Triple B
13th October 2008, 07:58 PM
I'd be surprised if Murphy got promoted.

He has huge upside and I have no doubt he will make it, but he's unlikely to be ready in the first half of next year.

Let him have a big pre-season, play him in all the NAB Cup/Challenge games then sit back and wait. If he is setting them alight, the new rules allow him to be promoted after round 11 whether there is a long term injury or not.

I'm pretty sure MOD got cut and re-rookied last year, so he also can stay rookied, although personally I'd like to see him and Smith promoted and given a chance early in the year.

BSA5
13th October 2008, 11:16 PM
Murphy is on a two year rookie contract. Accordingly, it is unlikely he will be promted to the senior list. By not promoting him we (just promoted myself to the Swans recruiting staff :) ) have the capacity to promote another rookie (Smith, O'Dwyer or another?) or use the selection in the national draft or pre-season draft.

This then gives the Swans an additional player on the senior list while still being able to have Murphy as a nominated rookie (depending upon the veteran list status of players like O'Loughlin, Barry and Kirk) available for promotion.

Cheers

Justice

Actually, if we want to keep all our promising rookies without risking delisting them and re-rookie-ing them, I'm pretty sure we'll have to elevate two. We have five lead rookies: Smith, O'Dwyer, Murphy, Orreal and Bruce (who by all reports, not just from Swans supporters, is looking like becoming a gun). We can only keep three rookies on for a second or third year. We could elevate Smith and O'Dwyer, and keep Murphy, Orreal and Bruce on, with Terlich and Beckmans delisted. I think, given our huge stock of small midfielders, we'd be better off elevating just one of those two (maybe O'Dwyer, as he has a bit of spark that tends to be lacking throughout the team), and then elevate Murphy as a possible KP debutante. Orreal will likely only be required if either Currie or Jolly go down long term, and he can be elevated in that instance anyway, so keeping him on the rookie list makes sense, and Bruce probably isn't likely to push for senior selection quite yet, so to me, those two elevations make the most sense.

liz
14th October 2008, 12:10 AM
I reckon a case could be made for promoting any of those 5.

Kennelly reckons Murphy wasn't far from senior selection at the end of last season. How close do they think he is now?

We're very skinny on the senior list for rucks. If Currie got a niggling injury that stopped him playing, would they be better being able to throw Orreal to the wolves or playing LRT, White, Playfair or someone else as a pinch-hitter. Doubt Orreal is really ready yet but he surprised immensely last year with the speed of his progress so who knows?

Smith and O'Dwyer both got a couple of games this year (ahead of some already listed senior players) and while neither shone, nor did Jack in his two games last year. Both are on the cusp of making it - could go either way - but we won't really find out that much more about them at reserves level and would be good to see them, assuming retained in some capacity, get a few more senior games next year.

Bruce is a long shot to get promoted. He could even get cut but I'd be very surprised. He had a super year and showed marked improvement as it went on. He is already strongly built, looks reasonably fit, plays with more consistent intensity at reserves level than MOD and looks more confident, even at reserves level, than Smith.

UglyDuckling
14th October 2008, 06:40 PM
Where does Brennan stand in all of this he has proved that though he has some talent he constantly lets himself down with his wayward kicking as it stands arnt we better off using another pick in the draft and delisting Brennan

Robbo
14th October 2008, 07:19 PM
I think Brennan is a more than capable AFL player but will probably be delisted.

14th October 2008, 07:37 PM
Would really hope Brennan is retained as he is an option at either end.