PDA

View Full Version : Rate a Season # 26 Henry Playfair

AnnieH
10th November 2008, 10:30 AM
Rate away ...

10th November 2008, 12:22 PM
Rating : 5

Just OK.
Trys hard , though slow and when you play forward you must kick goals and thats his problem. When he played though he gave us something when BBBH was missing and provided a target. Handy backup for injuries.

Chilcott
10th November 2008, 12:25 PM
Was OK in the games he played. Can take a mark, but kicking for goal was atrocious.

Would he better in the backline? Is reasonably quick, has good reach for spoiling, which is needed these days as it is taboo to lay a finger nail on someones back.

Could handball off too running players, Malceski, Mattner, Bolton and Kennelly. A Dunkley couldn't kick either, but often had someone running past for the handball.

ScottH
10th November 2008, 12:31 PM
Can Mark, Can't Kick, but did OK.

reigning premier
10th November 2008, 12:41 PM

And only just.

Unless he can improve his kicking, he's very quickly going to become a list clogger. No space for him in the back line and he doesn't have the engine for the midfield. As a 3rd, 4th or 5th target in the fwd line he might be handy but that doesn't matter when you can't kick for @@@@ and convert some of those spctactular marks into goals.

Triple B
10th November 2008, 12:53 PM

Brings his teammates into the game by leading up constantly and creating space for the likes of MOL.

It was no coincidence that MOL hit a real purple patch in the weeks that Playfair was in the team.

Season ruined by injury overall, but if he can stay fit he has a role IMO.

Bleed Red Blood
10th November 2008, 02:37 PM

ShockOfHair
10th November 2008, 05:13 PM

Brings his teammates into the game by leading up constantly and creating space for the likes of MOL.

It was no coincidence that MOL hit a real purple patch in the weeks that Playfair was in the team.

Season ruined by injury overall, but if he can stay fit he has a role IMO.

Interesting points - I hadn't made the MickeyO connection. I assumed he was happy not playing next to a headcase :D Anyone know Playfair's goal assist stats?

I gave him a 4, mainly because he missed a lot through injury. Like others here I appreciate his efforts, and that he gave us a big forward target.

Problem is, we have too many players with deficient foot skills - if Playfair could kick straight he'd be hard to leave out.

mackemdezzy
11th November 2008, 01:55 AM
5 he did ok but he's still a hack!:D

Primmy
11th November 2008, 09:57 AM
5. But waiting to see what happens in 2009.

He reminds me of Scotty Stevens, great hands, can't run. However did make a difference when great hands mattered. Scotty has made a life for himself at Adelaide in the role he can play. I expect Lumpy will be doing the same in Sydney. Playing to his strengths, which are height, reach, hands, assists. I think it will work, if only he didn't break himself so often!.

Plugger46
11th November 2008, 01:18 PM
Tries but slow, awkward and can't kick. A fairly ordinary footballer in my opinion.

connolly
11th November 2008, 03:31 PM
Tries but slow, awkward and can't kick. A fairly ordinary footballer in my opinion.

Averaged just under 5 marks a match (Franklin averaged 6) and had a slighly better than 50% kicking for goal average. On both counts he was better than Money Bags.

reigning premier
11th November 2008, 05:18 PM
Averaged just under 5 marks a match (Franklin averaged 6) and had a slighly better than 50% kicking for goal average. On both counts he was better than Money Bags.

Kicking obviously doesn't include OOF, marked by opposition, failed to make the distance or just simply turned over cheaply.

573v30
11th November 2008, 06:19 PM
4/10

Only played 11 games, didn't kick a lot of goals as a forward option but wasn't too quiet and played more games this year than his last 2 seasons at Geelong combined.

It's his best average in disposals (10.8), marks are consistent with previous years but only averages under a goal per game. He did have some good games against Essendon (12 disposals, 9 marks, 3 goals), Hawthorn and Melbourne and only a couple of ordinary performances against Port Adelaide and Adelaide (although that's due to injury).

The problem is definitely his kicking for goal and if somehow that can be improved, he might come good next year.

Legs Akimbo
11th November 2008, 07:48 PM

Just goes to show...lies, damned lies and statistics.

Henry Playfair is ordinary on a good day and embarrasing on a bad day. Should never have been drafted.

Darren Thomson
11th November 2008, 08:13 PM
very ordinary player who doesn't turn up often enough or run hard enough or tackle hard enough or or or or or or or

Mountain Man
13th November 2008, 10:54 AM
Well worth a 6.

Constantly busy, and good mark. In my observation, he is a surprisingly good kick when passing off, and hence gets the good score in "assists". But, yes, he seems to have a head problem when kicking for goal himself.

Mr Magoo
13th November 2008, 11:21 AM
Played a really important role in the forward line when he played as he leads straight and hard and has a good set of hands. Agree that he frees the likes of Oloughlin (and probably okeefe )up.

Dont know if I am backed up the stats but it seems like when he played we probably won more games than we lost , not saying this was because of him but I believe he is good for the overall structure of the side.

If he could improve his kicking for goal would really prove an asset but if he doesnt then he will basically be a stop gap up front until we develop a key forward who can kick for goal out of one of the younger players.

Nico
16th November 2008, 11:07 AM
Well worth a 6.

Constantly busy, and good mark. In my observation, he is a surprisingly good kick when passing off, and hence gets the good score in "assists". But, yes, he seems to have a head problem when kicking for goal himself.

He drops the ball to his boot wrong. Probably the fine motor skills he developed at a very early age. Horrible kick. I gave him 5 but should have been 4. Presents OK at times, not too bad a mark, but....there is something missing. Is it footy smarts...just can't my finger on it. Maybe as simple as not good enough for the big time.

What about full back where he played for Geelong 2's? He kicks about as bad as Dunkley, is tall and doesn't have to kick out and can handpass to a running player.

Chow-Chicker
16th November 2008, 07:38 PM

But you forgot to metion that Franklin averaged something like 36 shots at goal and kicked over 100 snags for the year.

3 for me.

RogueSwan
17th November 2008, 12:13 PM
I thought he was alright, provided a really good contest across CHF.
I hope he improves next year. Center to CHF could be a good place for him to be grabbing marks, a handballing off to a running Goodes, McVeigh and even Bevan (when playing as a defensive forward).

Nico
17th November 2008, 08:58 PM
I thought he was alright, provided a really good contest across CHF.
I hope he improves next year. Center to CHF could be a good place for him to be grabbing marks, a handballing off to a running Goodes, McVeigh and even Bevan (when playing as a defensive forward).

Get it right Rogue; he is a defensive pivot who plays a running quarterback role, but goes forward and becomes a crumbing quarter forward and at the same time fills the hole as a defensive midfielder.