PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - Can we handle it??

SCGonasunnyday
15th February 2009, 04:46 PM
I have a feeling RWO is going to be grim this year.

We probably won't win the flag and probably won't either make or go far in the finals.

I'm excited and looking forward to:

1) seeing improvement in our young players;

2) flogging the poor teams we have flogged in recent seasons.

So if and when we get smashed by Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood etc. I will look for the positives and not be too upset.

How about everyone else? Given how emotional and negative we can be when the Swans lose - how will this board cope with cellar dwelling years?

573v30
15th February 2009, 04:59 PM
Usually when we lose to Collingwood, there aren't too many positives.

woo
15th February 2009, 06:05 PM
i normally throw a remote control with my anger....

CureTheSane
15th February 2009, 06:18 PM
I don't understand this thread..... :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Swans are a dead cert for the flag this year.....

Cardinal
15th February 2009, 08:42 PM
I'm feeling very optimistic - if I heard correctly, scoring is down, tactics are negative and the flood is back.

Industrial Fan
15th February 2009, 09:26 PM
Usually when we lose to Collingwood, there aren't too many positives.But now we have one R.Shaw, what could possibly go wrong?

AnnieH
16th February 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more tackling. So much so that Theo Dimwit will want to change the tackling rules next year.
The boys did a "refresher" course with Easts thugby league club.

msb
16th February 2009, 06:31 PM
Unfortuneately they will get blasted from pillar to post if they have a bad year (especially from the media down here aswell) I cant see swans being cellar dwellers though, they simply cant afford to with the fickle sin city brigade.

Hartijon
16th February 2009, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling RWO is going to be grim this year.

We probably won't win the flag and probably won't either make or go far in the finals.

I'm excited and looking forward to:

1) seeing improvement in our young players;

2) flogging the poor teams we have flogged in recent seasons.

So if and when we get smashed by Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood etc. I will look for the positives and not be too upset.

How about everyone else? Given how emotional and negative we can be when the Swans lose - how will this board cope with cellar dwelling years?

I like a team that plays with character like the swans have until sometimes last season. When we lose we go down fighting and a loss becomes less frustrating when players have all tried their hardest.What more can you expect of anybody but their hardest effort? I will be frustrated if we still pick the old brigade on name and not form. I want to see our best form side every week and i believe a top 8 slot is possible for such a side. When we get smashed I like to see those individuals who don't give up,show real character when we need it most and refuse to be intimidated. So cellar dwellers? I doubt it unless the coaches and selectors are not doing their job.There is still an abundance of talent in the team and the retirements and injuries just help the promotion of young talent
I am looking forward to an interesting year.

chalbilto
16th February 2009, 08:09 PM
I like a team that plays with character like the swans have until sometimes last season. When we lose we go down fighting and a loss becomes less frustrating when players have all tried their hardest.What more can you expect of anybody but their hardest effort? I will be frustrated if we still pick the old brigade on name and not form. I want to see our best form side every week and i believe a top 8 slot is possible for such a side. When we get smashed I like to see those individuals who don't give up,show real character when we need it most and refuse to be intimidated. So cellar dwellers? I doubt it unless the coaches and selectors are not doing their job.There is still an abundance of talent in the team and the retirements and injuries just help the promotion of young talent
I am looking forward to an interesting year.

I agree with your points, particularly the highlighted ones.
Provided we don't have a horror run with injuries to our key players I feel very confident about making the finals again. We will surprise many pundits.

Legs Akimbo
16th February 2009, 08:26 PM
I can't help but think the wheels are falling off already. My expectations are set low, as they were last year.

If we make finish in the top 10 and seriously begin preparing for next year (the horror year a few people have been predicting for some time), I'll be happy.

Cheese
16th February 2009, 08:26 PM
I reckon we will suprise the critics. Does 2003 ring a bell????? Have faith, Hopefully Jesse White, Nick Smith, Cheese Barlow and Matty Laidlaw repay the faith shown in them and play 10-15 games this year each

liz
16th February 2009, 09:35 PM
I reckon we will suprise the critics. Does 2003 ring a bell????? Have faith, Hopefully Jesse White, Nick Smith, Cheese Barlow and Matty Laidlaw repay the faith shown in them and play 10-15 games this year each

Yep.

One thing in our favour is that the "kids" we are relying on to step up and contribute are not "kids" in a physical sense. While other clubs each year have brought in oodles of 17 and 18yos and had to rely on them to play senior footy before their time, the guys we need to stand up are almost all into their 3rd and 4th years on the list (longer in the cases of Grundy and Schmidt). They may lack experience and we don't know for sure how many of them are going to prove to be up to it. But at least they have 3 or more pre-seasons under their belt and the physical strength of 21 and 22 year olds, not 18 year olds.

Bas
16th February 2009, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=liz;426850]Yep.

One thing in our favour is that the "kids" we are relying on to step up and contribute are not "kids" in a physical sense. QUOTE]

Which makes it more critical because if these kids fail this year and should be released, we are stuffed because we won't get quality in the draft or in trading unless we give up some big name players.

The other option is the failures stay on another year and we repeat another bad year, that is, if that happens this year.

I suppose best to be positive and sit back and enjoy everyone bagging us to come last again.

laughingnome
16th February 2009, 11:21 PM
I suppose best to be positive and sit back and enjoy everyone bagging us to come last again.

Their hatred fuels us.

(Close second: If they strike us down we shall become more powerful then they can possibly imagine.)

R&WtilIDie
17th February 2009, 01:22 AM
Geez, why bother even watching?

hammo
17th February 2009, 07:36 AM
I don't understand why anyone would be writing off finals in February :confused:

Legs Akimbo
17th February 2009, 07:56 AM
I don't understand why anyone would be writing off finals in February :confused:

Whichever way you look at it, our list is not in great shape going into the season, which is a result of a combination of bad luck and poor management.

Not sure if I would write off finals, but the probability would seem to be low. The reality is that we are quite a way behind the leading teams now in the quality of our 'A' list and depth and quality of 'B' players.

I honestly hope I am proven a miserable pessimist rather than a realist.

AnnieH
17th February 2009, 09:28 AM
Whichever way you look at it, our list is not in great shape going into the season, which is a result of a combination of bad luck and poor management.

A few of the geriatrics are recovering ... I'd rather have no Leo Barry or Micky O in Round 1 than have them miss Round 18 when it matters.

I'm looking very forward to seeing the youngins having a run around. Jack should be pumping and ready to go, Reg, Schmidt, Barlow - these guys have enough experience now to make or break ... I'm looking forward to big things.

Shaw ... couldn't be worse as Davis as a recruit from the wobbles (IMHO), but you never know - could be a whole lot better than Willo!!

If McHack can keep up his stellar peformance like last year, Goodesy as captain - Kirk, B2, Mattner ... even B1. There's still plenty of talent on our list.

There are heaps and heaps and heaps of positives.

ShockOfHair
17th February 2009, 10:33 AM
I like how we've gone overnight from being too old to missing the experience of senior players.

Barry injury leaves Swans in trouble - AFL - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25065295-23211,00.html)

Barry's injury is another setback for the Swans who have already unexpectedly lost the vast experience this year of Nic Fosdike, who retired because of an on-going knee injury, and Tadhg Kennelly, who retired with a year of his contract remaining to return to Ireland.

AnnieH
17th February 2009, 10:36 AM
Let them write us off.
I kinda like flying under the radar.

giant
17th February 2009, 11:06 AM

New year's resolution not to procrastinate.

msb
17th February 2009, 11:30 AM
Of course i'd want to make finals, but would it really be the end of the world if they didn't after 6 straight years in them and a premiership? I think swans supporters have been quite spoilt from 1996 onwards bar 2000 and 2002 (where they even won 8 -10 games for memory in those seasons) and the thought of potentially having 1 bad year is freaking people out!

R&WtilIDie
17th February 2009, 01:33 PM
It's one thing for the clueless media and opposing supporters write us off, it's another when our own supporters are sticking the boot in, without a minute of football being played.

I personally think this year is going to be very exciting, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

Xie Shan
17th February 2009, 02:00 PM
New year's resolution not to procrastinate.

Haha, good one!

johnno
17th February 2009, 02:52 PM
I cant believe some people here. We will easily make the 8, somewhere between 5-8 I believe, and with a little luck a top 4 spot is not out of the question.

Jewels
17th February 2009, 03:18 PM
It's one thing for the clueless media and opposing supporters write us off, it's another when our own supporters are sticking the boot in, without a minute of football being played.

I personally think this year is going to be very exciting, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

Totally agree with all of these sentiments.

Legs Akimbo
17th February 2009, 07:05 PM

Who is sinking the boot in?

Hartijon
17th February 2009, 07:33 PM
I hope the football in the season proper is a bit better than what we have to watch in this NAB cup or whatever it is called. It's like basketball! No time to appreciate anything,no time to watch two guys go for a mark, just one end to the other ,your turn then ours unless you turn it over. When they changed the rules ,they screwed the game. How will we cope with this?

ROK Lobster
17th February 2009, 08:24 PM
We will play some crap footy this year, but hopefully begin to see the core of the next premiership side.

Triple B
17th February 2009, 08:46 PM
I cannot understand the pessimism of some posters either :confused:

Year in, year out we hear the same from the Melbourne media and pundits predicting our demise, yet every year in the middle of August we are jostling for a spot in the top 4. Now it appears some of our own are jumping on board.

I've always put it down to a general lack of knowledge of the younger guys playing in Canberra that they never see, it appears if they don't see them play, they are no good.

I cannot see why we will drop to the depths some here are predicting.

Our midfield has always been very 'Cortina'ish' but with Bird and Jack now established and with another pre-season under their belts, McVeigh obviously blossoming last year and could reach even greater heights, I see our midfield as being superior to last year. Not to mention a certain dual Brownlow Medallist winning midfielder who was restricted to 60% output last season due to injury.

I am just as confident of making finals this year as I have been in any year over the past 5 or 6 seasons, all seasons in which we comfortably made September action.

ShockOfHair
17th February 2009, 09:10 PM
We will play some crap footy this year, but hopefully begin to see the core of the next premiership side.

Best 20-word season preview I've seen.

A lot rides on the second-year guys like Bird, Jack, Vespa and the new guns like McVeigh, Bevan and Malceski.
We need them to provide the pace and drive and footskills that we lacked even with Kennelly in the side.

liz
17th February 2009, 09:27 PM

We played some crap football in 2005 (how can anyone forget that St Kilda game) but it didn't stop us doin' OK overall.

goswannie14
17th February 2009, 09:29 PM
We played some crap football in 2005 (how can anyone forget that St Kilda game) but it didn't stop us doin' OK overall.That was the worst game of football I have ever been to. It also gave me a hatred for St Kilda supporters that far outweighs even Collingwood supporters. They were just so arrogant.

BTW I quite liked how that season finished overall

ROK Lobster
18th February 2009, 09:14 AM
We played some crap football in 2005 (how can anyone forget that St Kilda game) but it didn't stop us doin' OK overall.
We play some crap footy every year. The first third of 2006 springs to mind also. I think we will be competitive, win a couple of thrillers, but generally struggle to be considered a genuine threat. Finals footy would satisfy me this year. Week 2 of the finals would be brilliant.

connolly
18th February 2009, 09:24 AM
I cannot understand the pessimism of some posters either :confused:

Year in, year out we hear the same from the Melbourne media and pundits predicting our demise, yet every year in the middle of August we are jostling for a spot in the top 4. Now it appears some of our own are jumping on board.

I've always put it down to a general lack of knowledge of the younger guys playing in Canberra that they never see, it appears if they don't see them play, they are no good.

I cannot see why we will drop to the depths some here are predicting.

Our midfield has always been very 'Cortina'ish' but with Bird and Jack now established and with another pre-season under their belts, McVeigh obviously blossoming last year and could reach even greater heights, I see our midfield as being superior to last year. Not to mention a certain dual Brownlow Medallist winning midfielder who was restricted to 60% output last season due to injury.

I am just as confident of making finals this year as I have been in any year over the past 5 or 6 seasons, all seasons in which we comfortably made September action.

True enough with the usual caveat. Injuries. If Jolly is injured our ruck strength is really exposed and also whether Malceski recovers his form pre-injury. The loss of Kennelly is huge as our counter attack was built around him. This season hopefully Malceski returns fit and confident. Otherwise we depend very heavily on Shaw. And heaven help us.

msb
18th February 2009, 09:42 AM
That was the worst game of football I have ever been to. It also gave me a hatred for St Kilda supporters that far outweighs even Collingwood supporters. They were just so arrogant.

BTW I quite liked how that season finished overall

Totally agree, a rotten game that was. St.Kilda supporters that night were unbearable and in the preliminary final where they were talking about where to line up for grand final tickets at 3/4 time, oh the look on their faces as we were slamming on the goals in the last qtr was unforgettable!:D

Cardinal
18th February 2009, 04:53 PM
I miss Schneider

SCGonasunnyday
18th February 2009, 05:58 PM
I don't intend to be sticking any boot anywhere by saying that if not 2009 then at some stage in the next 1-3 years we would have to fall down the ladder. There are 16 (soon more) teams, every team has made the finals at least once since the draft came in. Sometime it will be our turn to miss out.

I also hope we do, because I don't want to come 9th every year like Richmond (or 5th - 8th even). With exciting young talent already at the club in the 18-23 year range and some first round draft picks over the next four years - we could build for a premiership some time in the next decade.

Possibly we could build for a premiership and still make the finals every year, but is that realistic? Can we win a premiership without some new top 10 draft picks at the club?

I'm excited about 2009 - excited about the youth and not worrying to much about the results.

Dalai Lama
19th February 2009, 09:10 AM
I miss Schneider

Incy Wincy Schneider went up a water spout?

woo
19th February 2009, 10:06 AM
I miss 2005

AnnieH
19th February 2009, 11:21 AM
I miss 2005

Theo Dimwit called us ugly.

ScottH
19th February 2009, 12:36 PM
Theo Dimwit called us ugly.

He was right about some of us.

swans_premiers
20th February 2009, 05:19 PM
at the end of 2002....

Kirk, J Bolton, C Bolton, Barry, O'keefe, Goodes, Kennelly were avg players at best.

We lost Dunkley, Schwass, Kelly, Lockett, Nicks was on the way down...as was schauble and prob couple others.

This gave the opportunity for the others to step up and they did..took us to a HOME prelim... just lacked the experience to get over the finals hardened Lions.

This year there's a chance for many to stepup...some who have been on the list for 3-4years...similar to O'keefe, Kennelly etc at the time.

In 2009 under the guidance of Roos Kirk, Goodes and Bolton the swans will confound the critics again many times...how far can we go? Who knows.

mcs
20th February 2009, 08:38 PM
Who knows what will happen this year? The early signs are not good, but we havent kicked a ball in anger yet and footy is a funny game. My expectations are low, but I am really looking forward to seeing some young blokes get a real chance this year, and hopefully seeing players like Jack, Bird, Vespa etc kicking on.

I'm not going to make any predictions on where we will end etc, but I think we will have a good year and who knows what might happen?

satchmopugdog
20th February 2009, 08:43 PM
at the end of 2002....

Kirk, J Bolton, C Bolton, Barry, O'keefe, Goodes, Kennelly were avg players at best.

We lost Dunkley, Schwass, Kelly, Lockett, Nicks was on the way down...as was schauble and prob couple others.

This gave the opportunity for the others to step up and they did..took us to a HOME prelim... just lacked the experience to get over the finals hardened Lions.

This year there's a chance for many to stepup...some who have been on the list for 3-4years...similar to O'keefe, Kennelly etc at the time.

In 2009 under the guidance of Roos Kirk, Goodes and Bolton the swans will confound the critics again many times...how far can we go? Who knows.

I like that piece of writing....what good thoughts to take to bed.