PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Cocktail Party (Melbourne Members)

ScottH
17th February 2009, 07:15 PM
Swans Loyalty Reward Invitation. For 5 consecutive years membership, as long as you are signed up for 2009.

Thursday, March 12, 2009
7:00pm to 9:00pm
Hilton on the Park.

Free cocktail food.
Drinks at Bar Prices.

Who's going?

thesting
17th February 2009, 09:33 PM
Got the message in the mail today. I'll head along.

dimelb
17th February 2009, 10:34 PM
Yes.

baskin
17th February 2009, 10:37 PM
My first post so apologies for any errors along the way!
I will be attending with my son, it will be his first adult 'do' with the club. His attendance at club functions has finally grown past the need for a kick-to-kick to take place. Although, if a football was found he would start one up around the cocktail bar!

Doctor J.
17th February 2009, 10:44 PM
Welcome "Keith" who could forget the no 4 on the wing.

I'll be there. Young Dr J is spewing he's not 18. He'd partake in that kick round the cocktail bar.

satchmopugdog
18th February 2009, 12:47 AM
Would love to but it's a bit hard to get back for work the next morning.

Wardy
18th February 2009, 06:57 AM
Swans Loyalty Reward Invitation. For 5 consecutive years membership, as long as you are signed up for 2009.

Thursday, March 12, 2009
Hilton on the Park.

Free cocktail food.
Drinks at Bar Prices.

Who's going?

thats a bit poor that you have to pay for your bevy's when you consider they actually invited you to attend - make sure you eat your fill of canapes then - they may be the last they hand out for a while. Surely they could put say $2000 on the bar and make it wine, beer & softies only and get the waiters to hand them around?

stellation
18th February 2009, 07:13 AM
thats a bit poor that you have to pay for your bevy's when you consider they actually invited you to attend - make sure you eat your fill of canapes then - they may be the last they hand out for a while. Surely they could put say $2000 on the bar and make it wine, beer & softies only and get the waiters to hand them around?
They're only Melbourne members Wardy, their 5 years commitment doesn't equal the same financial commitment of 5 years of a real fan ;)

Wardy
18th February 2009, 07:25 AM
They're only Melbourne members Wardy, their 5 years commitment doesn't equal the same financial commitment of 5 years of a real fan ;)

thats a bit harsh Stell, but fair!;) Still I reckon they could have sprung for drinks too. And its much cheaper to put on a "do" on a Thursday night as well - tight arses!.

ScottH
18th February 2009, 07:57 AM

But at least we can get a crowd at a final.

Wardy
18th February 2009, 08:13 AM

you have a point there Scott!

stellation
18th February 2009, 08:29 AM
Well they probably bother to advertise it's on down there ;)

Out of the 52 games the Swans played at Arden Street they only averaged an attendance of 11,956. Nobody wants to go see North.

goswannie14
18th February 2009, 08:42 AM

Out of the 52 games the Swans played at Arden Street they only averaged an attendance of 11,956. Nobody wants to go see North.That was the capacity of Arden Street!;)

johnno
18th February 2009, 08:57 AM

Thursday, March 12, 2009
Hilton on the Park.

Free cocktail food.
Drinks at Bar Prices.

Who's going?

so if you havent been a member for 5 consecutive years, does that mean you are not allowed to attend?

stellation
18th February 2009, 09:10 AM
That was the capacity of Arden Street!;)
:D

ScottH
18th February 2009, 11:06 AM

They don't really need to down here.

so if you havent been a member for 5 consecutive years, does that mean you are not allowed to attend?
You won't get an invite, if you have not.

Mike_B
18th February 2009, 11:51 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if I'll get an invite - this is year 11 in a row as a member, but my first in Melbourne....

I'm not worried about going/not going, but wouldbe disappointed if I didn't at least get an invite - after all, it is the same club and I'm still giving them my money....

Emerald Hill
18th February 2009, 09:42 PM
Welcome "Keith" who could forget the no 4 on the wing.

I'll be there. Young Dr J is spewing he's not 18. He'd partake in that kick round the cocktail bar.

I certainly won't forget Keith Baskin! Where I stood at the Lake Oval, he had the nickname "Racehorse!" He played a large part in our success in that magical year of 1970. Good to see his name on RWO!

And yes, hope to make it to the cocktail party!

Mike_B
19th February 2009, 07:38 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if I'll get an invite - this is year 11 in a row as a member, but my first in Melbourne....

I'm not worried about going/not going, but wouldbe disappointed if I didn't at least get an invite - after all, it is the same club and I'm still giving them my money....
Well, my note on my membership app informing them of prior membership in Sydney and the follow up call to confirm obviously got forgotten as my membership which arrived yesterday says since member since 2009 - so now I need to get this fixed up...oh well, at least there's plenty of time before Rd 1!

ScottH
19th February 2009, 07:55 AM
Hmm. I must pay mine one day soon I guess.

givekidsakick
19th February 2009, 08:54 AM

there will be plenty of bludgers....enough to go around....I don't know why they put this crap on...

Dalai Lama
19th February 2009, 08:54 AM
does anyone know if cocktail frankfurts will be served on this occassion?

ScottH
4th March 2009, 08:11 PM
I RSVP'ed today.

Anyone want to catch up, let me know.

stellation
4th March 2009, 08:28 PM
Gentleman walks into gentleman's outfitters.
"Can I help you, sir?"
"Why yes you can, young lady. Yes you can. I am in the market for something to wear to a special event."
"Excellent sir, may I ask the type of event?"
"Why yes you can, it is a cocktail pary."
"Excellent sir, may I enquire as to the host of the cocktail party?"
"Why yes you can, it is the South Melbourne football club."
"I beg your pardon sir?"
"The South Melbourne football club."
"I wasn't aware there was one, sir."
"The Swans."
"South Melbourne?"
"Yes, that's right."
"I haven't heard of them sir, I must admit."
"Sydney."
"Oh, of course. Excellent, sir! Now, may I show sir something in a suit appropriate for a cocktail party?"
"No need, no need- I have that covered. I'm after a bow tie to go with my outfit."
"Excellent sir, and the colour of your suit?"
"Blue and brown."
"Stripes, sir?"
"No- blue jeans and a brown corduroy jacket."
"And sir wants a bow tie?"
"Yes please!"
"May I ask sir, PL/1 or Cobol?"
"PL/1 of course!"
"Get out nerdboy!"

Mike_B
4th March 2009, 08:31 PM
Gentleman walks into gentleman's outfitters.

Gold! :D

ScottH
4th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Where is this favourite shop of yours, pantsless one?

Bazman
5th March 2009, 08:46 PM
Stellation, you poor poor misguided fool, do you think that you Swans supporters North of Albury (Canadians) are the only true Sydney Swans Supporters? Well we did 13 games last season not bad considering we missed only one Melbourne game (Carlton)
Let?s face it nearly 10,000 members in Melbourne take that away from what the membership was last year and you end up with what 18,000 at a finals game.
So don?t criticize until you reach 35,000 members in Sydney without Melbourne contribution.

They're only Melbourne members Wardy, their 5 years commitment doesn't equal the same financial commitment of 5 years of a real fan

stellation
5th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Just between us, darlin', I wasn't being entirely serious. I hope I didn't cause you to drop a stitch. ;)

Wardy
6th March 2009, 07:11 AM
Stellation, you poor poor misguided fool, do you think that you Swans supporters North of Albury (Canadians) are the only true Sydney Swans Supporters? Well we did 13 games last season not bad considering we missed only one Melbourne game (Carlton)
Let?s face it nearly 10,000 members in Melbourne take that away from what the membership was last year and you end up with what 18,000 at a finals game.
So don?t criticize until you reach 35,000 members in Sydney without Melbourne contribution.

They're only Melbourne members Wardy, their 5 years commitment doesn't equal the same financial commitment of 5 years of a real fan

well in monetary terms you may be right - but as far as passion for the club, there are many from Melbourne who make the Sydney siders seem like a bunch of pussy's.

My beef was that the club were not going to pay for the beverages - if they invite you to a cocktail party - then it is only right that they pay for the drinks too on top of the cremated spring rolls & cocktail frankfurts - otherwise you may as well have put on the invite "we will provide the venue, Ladies please bring a plate, Blokes bring a bottle" what tight arses!

ScottH
13th March 2009, 06:59 AM
Free Booze for the first hour, Thanks Richard.
Plenty of Mini Spring Rolls and Mini Pies, and some other bits I didn't try.

The Premiership Cup and other Swans Memoribilia was on show, Including a framed guernsey signed by all our brownlow medallists.

Some Fundraising Auctions, one of which was accommodation for 8 plus a private box at the Carlton Game in Round 4, Went for over $5K IIRC.
They also auctioned a leather jacket with red and white sleeves, which Richard Colless bought for $4K, then donated back to the club and then they gave it away by way of a random question.

They gave a woman who lost her home and Swans Shrine in the Kinglake fires a swans gift pack(inc 5 year membership) and flowers. And another lady who is 90, and followed the swans since the 30's a little pack and flowers as well.

2nd prize in the raffle went to ticket D28, I had D25, 26 and 27 :(. No Chocloates for me.

17 of the 20 sponsors from last year have signed on again. QBE is still the main sponsor.
4 new ones are De Bortoli Wine, Star City (Short Sponsor), Rob Pascoe's company Closed Loop Recycling, and Red Rooster.

Wardy
13th March 2009, 07:19 AM
Free Booze for the first hour, Thanks Richard.
Plenty of Mini Spring Rolls and Mini Pies, and some other bits I didn't try.

The Premiership Cup and other Swans Memoribilia was on show, Including a framed guernsey signed by all our brownlow medallists.

Some Fundraising Auctions, one of which was accommodation for 8 plus a private box at the Carlton Game in Round 4, Went for over $5K IIRC.
They also auctioned a leather jacket with red and white sleeves, which Richard Colless bought for $4K, then donated back to the club and then they gave it away by way of a random question.

They gave a woman who lost her home and Swans Shrine in the Kinglake fires a swans gift pack(inc 5 year membership) and flowers. And another lady who is 90, and followed the swans since the 30's a little pack and flowers as well.

2nd prize in the raffle went to ticket D28, I had D25, 26 and 27 :(. No Chocloates for me.

17 of the 20 sponsors from last year have signed on again. QBE is still the main sponsor.
4 new ones are De Bortoli Wine, Star City (Short Sponsor), Rob Pascoe's company Closed Loop Recycling, and Red Rooster.

that means Debortoli wines will be the perferred tipple this year as its been Wyndham Estate & Jacobs creek in the past. I'm still hoping that Bollinger will get on board one day - they have Labels that are white with red afterall!!

So Scott were the Huttons Footy Franks served as well last night?

ScottH
13th March 2009, 07:22 AM
that means Debortoli wines will be the perferred tipple this year as its been Wyndham Estate & Jacobs creek in the past.

So Scott were the Huttons Footy Franks served as well last night?

No franks or Franks that I saw.

Wardy
13th March 2009, 07:40 AM
No franks or Franks that I saw.

shame - because they are normally the things that go first at cocktail functions (despite the snooty types turning their noses up at them!)

ScottH
13th March 2009, 07:48 AM
shame - because they are normally the things that go first at cocktail functions (despite the snooty types turning their noses up at them!)

I might add that I reckon the average age in the group, which was probably about 200-300, was about 70.

Wardy
13th March 2009, 07:57 AM
I might add that I reckon the average age in the group, which was probably about 200-300, was about 70.

so you were one of the "kids' then?

ScottH
13th March 2009, 08:12 AM
so you were one of the "kids' then?

Sure was.

Here are a few pics I took on my phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36336201@N00/tags/swansthankyoucocktailparty/

dimelb
13th March 2009, 12:21 PM
It was a fun night. My only criticism is that the highlights video should have been twice as long. The crowd oohed and aahed and cheered. The biggest cheer? Davo's fourth goal in THAT quarter!
And the barmaid charged me for my first round of drinks; I paid up not knowing otherwise (I suspect she didn't either). But when I went back later for a nice shiraz, the same barmaid poured out a double quantity. ;)
Mrs d came home with a bag of goodies including the Swans guernsey mousemat I'm now using, chatting with a bloke whose greatuncle played in the 1909 premiership team.

ScottH
13th March 2009, 12:33 PM
It was a fun night. My only criticism is that the highlights video should have been twice as long. The crowd oohed and aahed and cheered. The biggest cheer? Davo's fourth goal in THAT quarter!

That goal did make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. As well as the very next scene, That Mark!!

Also seeing Tadhgs goal against Brisbane. That was pretty spectacular.

I got my first 2 beers for free, surprisingly!! Later in the evening,I just proopoed up one end of the bar.

Bleed Red Blood
13th March 2009, 12:43 PM

I got my first 2 beers for free, surprisingly!! Later in the evening,I just proopoed up one end of the bar.

The triple spin goal?
Has anyone found that on youtube?

I got my first three schooners for free last night. But not where you we're. I didn't get invited. :( And please don't write "proopoed up one end of the bar" ever again.

Primmy
13th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Glad you Melbourne members get something for nothing. We have to pay upwards of $195.00 for anything to do with being a loyal member of the Swans, i.e., SBA. Its a shame really. We used to be valued.

Oh, just remembered, some of us got free tickets to the Rouse Hill game. I guess that counts.

jude_boltons_babe
13th March 2009, 01:11 PM
what about the Sydney members they get nothing

goswannie14
13th March 2009, 01:14 PM
what about the Sydney members they get nothingExcept 11 Swans games a year!;)

And possibly some punctuation lessons.

Triple B
13th March 2009, 01:26 PM

Didn't take them long to jump on board now that the KFC kid has moved on. :p

dimelb
13th March 2009, 01:26 PM
what about the Sydney members they get nothing
They got you babe! :) (Apologies to Tina T)

ScottH
13th March 2009, 02:26 PM
The triple spin goal?
Has anyone found that on youtube?Dunno, probably.

I got my first three schooners for free last night. But not where you we're. I didn't get invited. :( And please don't write "proopoed up one end of the bar" ever again.No wonder I had trouble sleeping last night.

Glad you Melbourne members get something for nothing. We have to pay upwards of $195.00 for anything to do with being a loyal member of the Swans, i.e., SBA. Its a shame really. We used to be valued.

Oh, just remembered, some of us got free tickets to the Rouse Hill game. I guess that counts.

Yes, it was nice. But then we Melbourners have limited opportunities to the people who live in the Head and Limbs of the Swans.

Triple B
13th March 2009, 02:31 PM
Given your avatar is almost a year old now Scott (Rd 1 2008), maybe u should consider changing to the pic of you with the Premiership Cup.

It did wonders for RP's popularity around here. :p

Wardy
13th March 2009, 02:39 PM
Given your avatar is almost a year old now Scott (Rd 1 2008), maybe u should consider changing to the pic of you with the Premiership Cup.

I thought of putting the one with me and the cup at the '05 club champ dinner up - but I look way too intoxicated - I think my eyes were spinning!(and the ridicule that RP copped I thought was a bit harsh!)

magic.merkin
13th March 2009, 03:59 PM

was that the blindspin on voss? i want to see that again so bad!

edit: i see it's been asked.

ScottH
13th March 2009, 04:29 PM

Sure thing

Triple B
13th March 2009, 04:49 PM
Sure thing

You are supposed to be holding it though, as if u were an integral part in it's delivery to the faithful.

ScottH
13th March 2009, 04:53 PM

You are supposed to be holding it though, as if u were an integral part in it's delivery to the faithful.

They remove the "DO NOT TOUCH" sign while you are photographing it. :o

JF_Bay22_SCG
16th March 2009, 12:07 AM
Sure was.

Here are a few pics I took on my phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36336201@N00/tags/swansthankyoucocktailparty/

Wait till a certain RWO posters sees this. We'll NEVER hear the end of it! :rolleyes:

SWANTASTIC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36336201@N00/3349293793/)

JF :D (who got the invite but didn't RSVP in time)

ScottH
16th March 2009, 06:27 AM
Wait till a certain RWO posters sees this. We'll NEVER hear the end of it! :rolleyes:

SWANTASTIC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36336201@N00/3349293793/)

JF :D (who got the invite but didn't RSVP in time)

Why do you think I took that pic? :rolleyes: