PDA

View Full Version : The cost of Round 1

satchmopugdog
9th March 2009, 05:23 PM
Have been excited for the past few weeks about going to Docklands for round 1 against the Saints despite last year's game being horrible....but found out today my first day of whale rescue training is on the 28th. I never thought there would be something that would make me regret going to see the Swans but this might be it.

Imagine ringing up work and being able to say, "Can't come in today I'm rescuing whales..so stick your pimply adolescents"

Won't happen now as I'll be untrained because I'll be watching the Swans.

We better win...Saturday has given me hope.Is this being overly optimistic??

Emerald Hill
9th March 2009, 06:38 PM
Don't know if you're being optimistic but if it's a terrible game again, be prepared for the backlash from St. Kilda supporters. The corresponding game last year was awful, we lost and Saints fans spent the whole game blaming the Swans for the dull and defensive way their own team was playing.

9th March 2009, 07:19 PM
Don't know if you're being optimistic but if it's a terrible game again, be prepared for the backlash from St. Kilda supporters. The corresponding game last year was awful, we lost and Saints fans spent the whole game blaming the Swans for the dull and defensive way their own team was playing.

Your right on, pretty much heard Saints supporters referring to Ross Lyon bringing that @@@@ty game plan to Moorabbin.
Shouldnt complain they got the a Prelim with it !

Robbo
9th March 2009, 08:03 PM
Would be nice to get a win in Round 1 for a change.

Xie Shan
9th March 2009, 09:09 PM
Imagine ringing up work and being able to say, "Can't come in today I'm rescuing whales..so stick your pimply adolescents"

:D Don't ever leave this board Satch!

Triple B
9th March 2009, 09:15 PM
"Can't come in today I'm rescuing whales..so stick your pimply adolescents"

Satch...u must have cried laughing at this episode............

Crowd: Come on! Save the whale! Hurry up it's gonna die!

Diane: Save the whale George... for me.

(He turns and throws his hat down. He walks into the ocean)

(At the coffee shop Jerry and Kramer are awaiting the story)

George: So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys, I

was terrified! But I pressed on and as I made my way passed the

breakers a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine

intervention or the kinship of all living things but I tell you Jerry

at that moment I was a marine biologist!

(Elaine enters and sits down)

Elaine: George I was just reading this thing in the papers, it's amazing!

George: I know I was just telling them the story.

Kramer: Come on George, finish the story.

George: The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to

return soup at a deli!

(Jerry gives Kramer a "what the h-" glance)

George: I got about fifty-feet out and then suddenly the great beast

appeared before me. I tell ya he was ten stories high if he was a

foot. As if sensing my presence he gave out a big bellow. I said,

"Easy big fella!" And then as I watched him struggling I realized

something was obstructing his breathing. From where I was standing

I could see directly into the eye of the great fish!

Jerry: Mammal.

George: Whatever.

Kramer: Well, what did you do next?

George: Then from out of nowhere a huge title wave lifted, tossed like a cork and I found myself on top of him face to face with the blow-hole. I could barely see from all of the waves crashing down on top of me but I knew something was there so I reached my hand and pulled out the obstruction!

(George pulls out of the inside pocket a golf ball)

(Jerry and George just stare at Kramer)

Kramer: What is that a Titleist? A hole in one eh.

Jerry: Well the crowd most have gone wild!

George: Oh yes they did Jerry they were all over me. It was like Rocky 1.

Diane came up to me, threw her arms around me, and kissed me. We

both had tears streaming down our faces. I never saw anyone so

beautiful. It was at that moment I decided to tell her I was not a

marine biologist!

Jerry: Wow! What'd she say?

George: She told me to "Go to hell!" and I took the bus home.

573v30
9th March 2009, 09:27 PM
Would be nice to get a win in Round 1 for a change.

That would be very good but I'm expecting a really ugly encounter like last year.

dimelb
9th March 2009, 10:39 PM
That would be very good but I'm expecting a really ugly encounter like last year.
I'm not - I don't think the youngsters will let it happen!

Cardinal
9th March 2009, 10:59 PM
I'm still hoping the grand prix crowd will not eventuate and I'll get a cheap hotel. Otherwise it's a mate's couch.

Even with the way the NAB Cup is being played I'm not expecting the same stalemate of a game.

Jewels
10th March 2009, 08:04 AM
I'm still hoping the grand prix crowd will not eventuate and I'll get a cheap hotel. Otherwise it's a mate's couch.

Good luck! I booked in January and the closest, good quality hotel at a reasonable price that I could find was in Preston. Problem is, I have no idea where Preston is or how to get into the city from there, so I think I'll be cabbing it everywhere and will spend all the money that I saved on the hotel on cabs !

dimelb
10th March 2009, 09:18 AM
Good luck! I booked in January and the closest, good quality hotel at a reasonable price that I could find was in Preston. Problem is, I have no idea where Preston is or how to get into the city from there, so I think I'll be cabbing it everywhere and will spend all the money that I saved on the hotel on cabs !
Depends where in Preston, but tram or train would probably be in easy distance.

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 09:25 AM
Depends where in Preston, but tram or train would probably be in easy distance.Yep. I wouldn't go anywhere in a taxi in Melb.

Cardinal
10th March 2009, 09:25 AM
If the rooms don't fill up I'll get one at a reasonable price - otherwise it's the couch and I'll spend all the money I save on fine food and wine.

Do any of inter-staters have any advice on the best way to buy tickets for Melbourne games. Say if I end up going to four or so a season, should I get a Victorian membership or just buy them from the Swans on an individual basis etc ??

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 09:28 AM
If the rooms don't fill up I'll get one at a reasonable price - otherwise it's the couch and I'll spend all the money I save on fine food and wine.

Do any of inter-staters have any advice on the best way to buy tickets for Melbourne games. Say if I end up going to four or so a season, should I get a Victorian membership or just buy them from the Swans on an individual basis etc ??Most games in Melbourne you can just walk up and buy tickets. What is the fixation of people north of the border always wanting to pre-book tickets?

i'm-uninformed2
10th March 2009, 09:30 AM
I've eaten whale. It's truly delicious. Next time you're trying to save one, Satch, can you slice a little off for me?

ScottH
10th March 2009, 09:52 AM

Rydges??

CJK
10th March 2009, 11:06 AM
Most games in Melbourne you can just walk up and buy tickets. What is the fixation of people north of the border always wanting to pre-book tickets?

Might be something to do with the fact that if you are going all that way to go to the game, making sure you can actually get in is something of a priority?

AnnieH
10th March 2009, 11:09 AM
Might be something to do with the fact that if you are going all that way to go to the game, making sure you can actually get in is something of a priority?

... and making sure you get good seats.

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 11:09 AM
Not when they are talking about games in Sydney. They still want to pre-purchase tickets. I just don't get it.

CJK
10th March 2009, 11:32 AM
That I can't explain.

/calls in sociologist

Cardinal
10th March 2009, 12:29 PM
Most games in Melbourne you can just walk up and buy tickets. What is the fixation of people north of the border always wanting to pre-book tickets?

And I can't understand the fixation of Southernites being members without havign a reserved seat.

T-bag
10th March 2009, 02:38 PM
And I can't understand the fixation of Southernites being members without havign a reserved seat.
It's called passion

Cardinal
10th March 2009, 02:41 PM
It's called passion

Running the risk of not getting a seat is not passion

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 02:57 PM

Who needs a seat?

stellation
10th March 2009, 03:01 PM
Well I think partly because you said "most" and partly because they are making a slightly longer trip than just hopping on the tram in Brunswick.

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 03:22 PM
Well I think partly because you said "most" and partly because they are making a slightly longer trip than just hopping on the tram in Brunswick.
The few games that require tickets are always advertised ahead of time. The only game I have bought tickets ahead of time in Sydney was the flag unveiling in 06. And in Melb the Essendon home games at the dome, these were designated ticketed games. Apart from that you can, in 99.9% of games in Melbourne walk up and get a seat. The .01% being the Essendon games at the dome or Collingwood games at the dome.

I wish hopping on the tram in Brunswick was all I had to do.

stellation
10th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Oh I know that you're a special case ;)

But whenever we travel now we definitely book tickets ahead of time, when I was a younger man I was happy to just rock up to the ground and grab a ticket but with a family it's such a fair chunk of change to travel for a game that you kind of want to know you're going to have good seats :)

AnnieH
10th March 2009, 03:34 PM
Who needs a seat?

Well, Scott's considerably large-sized arse.;)

Jewels
10th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Rydges??

Yes. Is it a tram trip away or should I stick with cabs?

goswannie14
10th March 2009, 04:03 PM
If you check the website it says it is a short walk from the tram.

http://www.rydges.com/hotel/2/RVPRES/Rydges-Bell-City-Hotel.htm

satchmopugdog
10th March 2009, 05:12 PM
I've eaten whale. It's truly delicious. Next time you're trying to save one, Satch, can you slice a little off for me?

Don't be so callous ...you'll make me blubber!!!!

Triple B loved the comedy episode....laughed heartedly

ScottH
10th March 2009, 07:14 PM

Never had a problem getting a seat.

ScottH
10th March 2009, 07:14 PM
Well, Scott's considerably large-sized arse.;)

'scuse me!!

ScottH
10th March 2009, 07:19 PM

Hope you didn't see the Melbourne papers today, there was a shooting in Preston last night. Don't worry, it was not near where you are.
It's not the best of Melbourne's Suburbs.
The Tram (86) is just up the road and goes down Plenty Rd/High St all the way thru the city to Docklands (Bourke St end). Quite handy.

I can drop by that way if you need a life to (and from) the game. It's a couple of hundred metres out of my way!! ;)
I usually have 2 (maybe 3 spare seats in the car)

johnno
11th March 2009, 08:36 AM
Just to put another negative spin on things again, according to the herlad sun today, Ross Lyon and StKilda have mastered their own version of the "rolling zone" and have apparently let in bugger all goals in the pre season comp as well as the least amount of inside 50's. I sure hope we dont have a repeat of last years round 1 encounter between these 2 sides. I was at that game and for 3 quarters I was bored out of my brain. It only became a good game in the last quarter.

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th March 2009, 08:18 PM

Games against the Aints may still be ugly defensive affairs. But at least we have a show against them. Which is more than when we play Collingwood & Adelaide. Games against them are the games I LEAST look forward to each season (two most feral supporter bases these days as well :mad: )

JF

573v30
12th March 2009, 10:10 PM
Games against the Aints may still be ugly defensive affairs. But at least we have a show against them. Which is more than when we play Collingwood & Adelaide. Games against them are the games I LEAST look forward to each season (two most feral supporter bases these days as well :mad: )

JF

I've already pencilled those games as losses. :o

ScottH
13th March 2009, 06:40 AM
Well Richard and Myles are pretty confident about the year ahead.

Primmy
13th March 2009, 12:52 PM
Well Richard and Myles are pretty confident about the year ahead.

Thats nice.