PDA

View Full Version : Reserves v Eastlake

ugg
4th April 2009, 01:01 PM
Curtain raiser starting at 3.50pm

Eastlake are coming off a 86 point thrashing of Ainslie while the Swans are still smarting from a 45 point defeat at the hands of Belconnen.

The Swans will be up against former teammates in Aaron Bruce (named BOG last week) and Aaron Rogers along with ex-Adelaide Crow Chad Gibson lining up in the Demons ruck.

Amon Buchanan and Ed Barlow will be looking to regain their touch while fringe players including Mike Pyke, Matt O'Dwyer and Ryan Brabazon will be aiming to further their cause.

liz
4th April 2009, 01:10 PM
Barlow
Buchanan
MOD
Brabazon
Pyke
Orreal
Gilchrist
Thornton
Johnston
Currie

Laidlaw - maybe. He was down as "test".

Plus, presumably, Gordon and maybe another scholarship player or two. Are the Rams away on Rams duty at the moment, does anyone know?

That's a pretty skinny list of available listed players. Hope they've got some good top-ups this week!

Pooh Bear
4th April 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks Ugg. Looking forward to good efforts from the young guns. Another impressive effort by Ryan Brabazon today will surely put some pressure on any of the older brigade who have any poor showings today. He can't be too far off for a call up. All the best to Brett Meredith for his debut today.

Jewels
4th April 2009, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know what's happening with Dan O'keefe? I was hoping he'd be in the reserves today, he's not listed as injured anywhere that I can find.

ugg
4th April 2009, 03:42 PM
I think that's just a quick list that liz came up with. I'll let you know soon whether DOK is playing

It's very windy and fairly overcast here

ugg
4th April 2009, 03:50 PM
I see Pyke Orreal Brabazon Buchanan MOD DOK Barlow Thornton Johnston Currie gilchrist

I also see players in 4 and 35 which are Hannebery and Heath's numbers respectvely. I know Heath is out njured but is it school holidays in Vic?

ugg
4th April 2009, 03:53 PM
Topup 54 1st goal after good work from Pyke. Aaron Bruce (4) playind in def on brabazon

ugg
4th April 2009, 03:56 PM
Interesting role for Orreal playing at fullback. Eastlake kick their first. 1.0 each

ugg
4th April 2009, 03:57 PM
Brabazon quick reply 6 min gone

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Eastlake kck 2 goals the latter after topup 53 is penalized for rushing a behind

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:01 PM
Defence looking real shaky with orreal and 53 holding the key posts. Eastlake another mark and goal

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:10 PM
Eastlake 24 mark and goal. They lead 5.1 to 2.0

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:12 PM
Eastlake 3 I think it's Gibson kicks their sixth

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:18 PM
Eastlake 32 good crumbinv goal. 5 goal lead

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:20 PM
Bruce mark and goal after gilchrist turnover

And that's quarter time
Swans 2.1 13
Demons 8.1 49

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:28 PM
MOD Goals good start from Gordon

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:36 PM
Currie gives away 50. Easygoal right in front 9.2 to 3.3

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:39 PM
Eastlake 19 great pack mark andgoal.

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:42 PM
Eastlake 7 great snap. 11.3 to 3.3

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:43 PM
Eastlake 19 goal great hb from Bruce

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:45 PM
Swans 55 open goal great pressure from brabazon. 8 goals down

ugg
4th April 2009, 04:53 PM
2 more goals to eastlake

Robbo
4th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Far out the top ups must be @@@@e.

Thanks for the updates.

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:03 PM
Halftime
Swans 4.4 28
Demons 14.6 90

Horrible game by the Swans. All credit to the Demons who have been quick skilful and put away their chances. The swans are lacking structure both forward and back, are falling off tackles too easily and making too many turnovers. Buchanan set on the bench for a lot if the 2 nd qtr not looking happy at all. Barlow has run hard and found a lot of it but his disposal has been a mixed bag. Orreal looks lost at FB giving too much Room
to his opponent. I can't believe the club considers Pyke on the fringe of the team. His ruckwork is okay but around the ground lacks awareness telegraphs his handballs and is very reluctant to kick (although when he does it's been okay)

ScottH
4th April 2009, 05:15 PM
Triple B says Buchanan off with a calf injury, and Hanneberry will be a STAR.

Nice work Ugg.

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:18 PM
Brabazon or Thornton kicks the first. Can't tell

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:20 PM
Ah so it is Hannebery he's been lively. Eastlake 24 reply. Orreal to the fwd line

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:21 PM
Swans 48 kicks one to the delight of his supporters :)

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:23 PM
Hannebery sets up Orreal who nails the set shot

7.5 to 15.7

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:25 PM
Thornton kicks truly from set shot. Swans playing much smarter

satchmopugdog
4th April 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Ugg...hopefully the greatest comeback ever on its way

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:27 PM
Eastlake 32 snap under pressure. 8.5 to 16.7

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:29 PM
Eastlke #8 goals. Poor defence all round

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:32 PM
Currie strong grab 5m out tight angle and .......misses

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:34 PM
Another eastlake goal.

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:36 PM
Barlow hasn't appeared for the half must be the emergency. Pyke started but he's gone as well. Orrel to the ruck as eastlake 23 kicks another

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:38 PM
Currie set shot goal. Fine assist by Thornton

9.6 to 19.7

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:41 PM
Eastlake 3 easy goal after Swans 55 turnover. Pyke backnin the ruck

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:44 PM
Bruce shovels the hb out eastlake 16 has another

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:47 PM
3q time
Swans 9.6 60
Demons 21.8 134

Better term offensively hannebery was the standout and Thornton solid. Currie and Orreal provided much needed targets up forward. Different story down back with the top ups battling hard but being outclassed by their opponents

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:54 PM
Eastlake first 2 goals

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:56 PM
Eastlake 19 with the banana

9.6 to 24.8

ugg
4th April 2009, 05:58 PM
And another...

ugg
4th April 2009, 06:01 PM
100 point margin is up

ugg
4th April 2009, 06:04 PM
Currie goals down to 94!

ugg
4th April 2009, 06:09 PM
Johnston big bomb

11.7 to 25.10

ugg
4th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Margin back to 94. Suspense is killing me

ugg
4th April 2009, 06:20 PM
Back to 100

Siren!

11.9 75
27.13 175

hammo
4th April 2009, 06:38 PM
Bloody hell! It's been a while since we've seen a 2's result like that

ugg
4th April 2009, 10:37 PM
These kids sure suck let's play the infants Allison!

I wouldn't be too worried Eastlake have recruited well and were amped up for this game. The Swans were missing too many and had to rely on a lot of top ups. It's a bye next week.

Just added up the goalkickers:

Currie 2 Thornton 2 Brabazon 1 O'Dwyer 1 Orreal 1 Johnston 1 #48 1 #54 1 #55 1

(or Brabazon 2 Thornton 1 - I think I'm right the first time)

liz
5th April 2009, 12:24 AM
Pretty sure it was Braba who kicked two.

Strange kind of experience the reserves get quite so comprehensively beaten. But it is fair to say we went in with pretty much no tall defenders - just a couple of top up kids and both were way off the pace. I don't think any of the top-ups were of the quality of the better ones in recent seasons - number 48 had a red hot go and showed some neat skills but was an absolute midget. Nathan Gordon was also an almost non-existent factor in the game, which was a bit disappointing after his performance two weekends ago.

Result was that too much was left to too few, and most of them were ragged by the end. Can't say any put their hand up for a senior gig any time soon, with maybe just one exception.

MOD and Braba were good in patches but then non-existent for much of the game. MOD, in particular, was disappointing in his use of the ball.

Currie showed some nice signs up forward. He still looks like he's short of a gallop but apart from missing one absolute sitter, it was an encouraging performance. He still looks likely of getting senior footy sometime this year (depending on what White has to say, of course).

I thought the best two - or at least, two of the most encouraging performances - were Hannebury and Gilchrist. Hannebury's first quarter was a bit underwhelming - he looked slow, indecisive and his early disposals were pretty ordinary. But in the second and third quarters he looked like a different player. Found the ball with ease, found a yard of pace, and used the thing intelligently. He looks like a dead ringer for Kane Cornes, not only physically but even in the way he moves. Looks like he can become the same kind of hard working, ball-accumulator that Cornes is. Definitely has future senior player written all over him.

If Gilchrist weren't so skinny, I'd be putting him on senior-watch for later in the year. As it is, he looks like he needs a summer or two alternating between the larder and the gym before he's ready. Descriptions of him when he was drafted suggested he was a bit too "outside" and needed to learn how to go in and win his own ball. On today's evidence, he's a fast learner. He showed little fear, especially in aerial contests, and some of his second, third and fourth efforts were impressive indeed. He's decently quick for his height and showed a good range of skills.

The one exception who looked senior ready was (wait for the groans) Barlow. He only played a half but it was a very decent half he played. In particular, he looked like he was making a huge effort to tackle. I suspect he would have laid half a dozen in that first half. And his off ball running was a step up in intensity too, even from many of his previous reserves games. It wasn't a command performance that demands an instant recall but he certainly looked like he was trying to address many of the things that I am sure have been suggested to him over the past week.

As to the rest, Thornton was pretty innocuous, apart from one screamer, Johnstone seemed to struggle to get into the game and was too easily bodied out of marking contests but showed a few signs that he can definitely play the game, while the best that can be said for DOK is that he looked to be trying really hard. Pyke looked like someone with good athletic ability who is still very much learning the game - hardly surprising since that is exactly what he is. He has a tendency to jump a bit early in ruck contests and lose his balance but he has a grasp on many of the skills of the game. A highlight was a set shot from 50m out which sailed off the boot straight as an arrow but fell just a few metres short. (Currie marked it on the goal line so we got a score anyway.)

Triple B
5th April 2009, 12:43 AM
As I texted (is that a word?) Reggi, DoctorJ and ScottH as early as halftime, I am absolutely taken with Hanneberry. Oozes poise, class and has a beautiful left foot but also has a body that looks like if he was forced to play seniors next week he would not be too far off the mark physically, even though it is only 6 weeks since he turned 18!!!

Star of the future, bookmark it.

I told Reggi and DoctorJ 2 years ago to bookmark DOK as a dud. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be proven correct. As Liz commented, the best you can say is he tried hard, but seriously he is so far from a senior footballer it isn't funny.

I also liked Johnstone's game as well, his second and third efforts were very solid. Not scared to mix it once the ball came to ground. Still well short physically to play the CHF role the club hopes he will fill long term, but mature enough to maybe get a game later in the year as a tall 3rd or 4th forward.

ugg
5th April 2009, 12:57 AM
DOK has been disappointing, even if you take away the fact he was pick 15 in the so called superdraft, and treated him as another youngster trying to make it into the seniors. I think he played off half back today, as liz mentioned he tried hard, but fell off too many tackles and didn't make his possessions count. Still looks very small physically and I feel that he shies away from physical contact.

Hannebery very cool and composed, used the ball well. I was disappointed in MOD, who did well in the scratch match and was emergency last week. The midfield was crying out for someone like him, who's been there for a couple of years, to stand up but he was AWOL.

On Barlow, yes he really got stuck in physically but for me anyway, that was just one aspect that was disappointing for me from Round 1. The other part is his use of the ball. Compare his game to that of Meredith who looked so assured with the ball in hand and I know which one I would prefer in the team.

shaun..
5th April 2009, 01:13 AM
As I texted (is that a word?) Reggi, DoctorJ and ScottH as early as halftime, I am absolutely taken with Hanneberry. Oozes poise, class and has a beautiful left foot but also has a body that looks like if he was forced to play seniors next week he would not be too far off the mark physically, even though it is only 6 weeks since he turned 18!!!

I told Reggi and DoctorJ 2 years ago to bookmark DOK as a dud. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be proven correct. As Liz commented, the best you can say is he tried hard, but seriously he is so far from a senior footballer it isn't funny.

I also liked Johnstone's game as well, his second and third efforts were very solid. Not scared to mix it once the ball came to ground. Still well short physically to play the CHF role the club hopes he will fill long term, but mature enough to maybe get a game later in the year as a tall 3rd or 4th forward.
Sounds like we'll have a very classy midfield to go with hopefully a powerful CHF in the (not to distant) future

liz
5th April 2009, 02:15 AM
On Barlow, yes he really got stuck in physically but for me anyway, that was just one aspect that was disappointing for me from Round 1. The other part is his use of the ball. Compare his game to that of Meredith who looked so assured with the ball in hand and I know which one I would prefer in the team.

Barlow's ball use was fine in the first quarter last week when the team was dominant. And it was fine in his debut too, if we're comparing to Meredith;)

I've seen enough of Barlow to believe that his skills are up to scratch to become a long-term senior player. The but - and it's a big but - is whether he can ever develop the intensity, not just in the contest, but to do the gut-busting running that his much-talked-about endurance suggests he should be capable of when - or if - he realises that's what senior AFL is about for a player like him.

Primmy
5th April 2009, 08:26 AM
Dan Hannerby is definitely a keeper, I worry about Barlow, I am almost glad to hear Buchannan was injured (he didn't appear to play any better than the kiddies!), and I do like Orreal who is not afraid to go to ground, and for someone of his height its an asset. I think you are being a bit harsh on DOK, he was working and doing a reasonable job - even Kirky took time to develop....they were going to drop him in 2002/2003 weren't they until Stuey spoke up for him.

Number 48 would be fun to have back again he has a good sense of where the ball is, thin as a mop handle and with that hair, Mop is a good name.

MOD is so inconsistent its alarming. Gets the ball with no fear, and full intent, but his disposal !!! oh woe is me....

One thing to note is the size of Eastlake boys in general. Not boys, full grown men, and we had kiddies out there. I would say due to ressie injuries, half of the team were ringers and they hadn't played with ressies as a group.

I really like Braba as a leader. I watched him bring in supp boys and include them - I hope his game continues to improve because as a leader he is a keeper.

Does anyone know who the big kid in the high up number (yeah I know, I can't remember my own name) playing in the back half is? Look a ringer for Jesse, and had us mildly worried. Really a big unit for a supp on a ressie team. Ta

dimelb
5th April 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the comments Ugg, Liz, Triple B and others. We have done and will do better, but the good news in there is encouraging to read, especially on Johnston, Hannebury and Thornton. Can anyone say where they had Barlow playing?

ugg
5th April 2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the comments Ugg, Liz, Triple B and others. We have done and will do better, but the good news in there is encouraging to read, especially on Johnston, Hannebury and Thornton. Can anyone say where they had Barlow playing?
Half-forward flank pushing up towards the wings.

Match Results (http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=39329897&c=1-1051-0-82928-0&pool=-1)

Trying to work out who the top ups were. That list has 2 scholarship players - Nathan Gordon who was wearing 45 and Jay Lewis who I have no idea what he looks like. 53 was Max Wilson while Bryce Addison (brother of Dylan?) kicked a goal so he was either 54 55 or 48.

Dalai Lama
5th April 2009, 10:31 AM
What about Amon - how long?

Old Royboy
5th April 2009, 10:44 AM
Only 12 listed players and rookies turned up to play. With Monty injured and Barlow benched as 1st reserve in the second half the team was severely undermanned and it really showed, especially in the lack of midfield grunt players like Nick Smith and in defence, where last year Faulks, Murphy and White were the backbone.

With bugger all midfield pressure the Eastlake boys provided a constant stream of accurate supply their forwards, with our key defenders in the first half being Orreal and O?Keefe and Neville Nobody in the second half. A rude wake up for big Jake, seriously a fish out of water back there.

As Big Bad has already said, the silver lining to this cloud was Dan Hannebury. Immediately stood out as a class above those around him. Good ball sense, lovely disposal and one of those players who just seems to effortlessly glide around the park. Quality with a capital Q.

Hannerbury?s class emphasised the shortcomings of Brabazon. Three years now, and still failing to impose himself. I thought he should have been cut last year, and have seen nothing this year to alter that view.

Dan Currie was poor in the first half ? it was quite windy then and his judgement of the ball ion the air was badly astray. He improved steadily as the match wore on and ended up one of our better players. We should expect much more when he gets back to full fitness.

A key defender DOK is not! But every now and then he did a few things that show he is not short on class and ticker. The charitable view is that after so much injury he will take his time to shine. I?m not prepared to be that charitable, but neither am I convinced he is a total dud.

Of the others, Johnson and Gilchrist both showed that they are talented footballers and promise good things for the future.

Robbo
5th April 2009, 11:01 AM
Are they still playing Barlow in the midfield?

liz
5th April 2009, 12:10 PM
Bryce Addison (brother of Dylan?) kicked a goal so he was either 54 55 or 48.

Not 48. His goal was in the third quarter, at which point a name of 'Brittain' was added to the list of goal scorers.

Reggi
5th April 2009, 01:56 PM

I told Reggi and DoctorJ 2 years ago to bookmark DOK as a dud. .

Tipping Hanneberry never plays a game, DOK wins the Brownlow

How is Laidlaw travelling :D

Jeffers1984
5th April 2009, 03:58 PM
Took some photos at the ressies...kinda crap quality due to poor light but here they are! http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157616365026792/

satchmopugdog
5th April 2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the photos Jeffers. How skinny is Gilchrist????

Jeffers1984
5th April 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the photos Jeffers. How skinny is Gilchrist????

extremely skinny but his skills (especially his kicking) are very impressive.

I'll try and get to as many ressie games i can get to (in Sydney) so i can take more shots of the up and comers. Need some good shots of Johnston as i was extremely impressed with his second efforts although he didn't mark much.

cruiser
5th April 2009, 08:02 PM
Thrashed by amateurs. No excuses for that.

ugg
5th April 2009, 08:10 PM
Full results up:

Another surprising (or should that be unsurprising) bests list

Match Results (http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=39426787&c=1-1051-0-82928-0&pool=-1)

SimonH
6th April 2009, 12:45 AM
Full results up:

Another surprising (or should that be unsurprising) bests list

Match Results (http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=39426787&c=1-1051-0-82928-0&pool=-1)That is surprising for mine. Not for the first 4, but when was the last time that two top-ups (especially where neither were RBN-- what's happened to him anyway?-- or Nathan Gordon) were in the best player list?

Thrashed by amateurs. No excuses for that.'Amateurs' rather oversimplifies it, especially where half of our team are under-age amateurs.

Aaron Bruce didn't become a different player with different abilities, when he got turfed by the Swans and took what would have, in fact, been only a modest pay-cut. On a quick look at the Eastlake team list, there are at least 2 others with experience on an AFL list (Aaron Rogers and Chad Gibson).

AFL Canberra may be a noticeable half-step down from VFL, SANFL and WAFL; but in truth it's not too bad a standard.

Robbo
6th April 2009, 01:17 AM
I remember that a couple of Canberra clubs were chasing Ben Cousins when he was having a year off. Must be a bit of money around in the league.

Primmy
6th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Only 12 listed players and rookies turned up to play.

A key defender DOK is not! But every now and then he did a few things that show he is not short on class and ticker. The charitable view is that after so much injury he will take his time to shine. I?m not prepared to be that charitable, but neither am I convinced he is a total dud.

Absolutely RoyBoy! He looked like he could be ok, he reads the play ok, and I am learning to trust that the powers that be just MAY know more than me when it comes to judgement of our list. I can barely name any of those we have dropped over the last eight years who have gone on to any form of greatness - except for Troy - and that is a subject that still burns my butt. They have in fact had belief in players I thought were duds, and humble pie has been on the menu a couple of times now.

Optus
6th April 2009, 06:29 PM
My 2 cents

To be honest some of the performances were very poor. The talls Orreal, Pike and Currie were dissapointing. Johnson was mediocre and often seemed disinterested. Brabz was ok in parts but he needs to do a lot more if he is to be considered for 1st grade selection.

Some positives: Definately Hannebury was impressive, I actually thought MOD was good in parts as was Gilly. The top ups however were useless. Joe Britton (48) at only 16 was one of the few to have a red hot go. I also found it amusing that half the stadium was only there to see him as well.

A loss was to be expected, but a loss like that, is pretty shocking.

ShockOfHair
6th April 2009, 07:13 PM
I like the coach's comment.

"To be perfectly frank, it's not that bad for them to get a belting every now and then," Roos said.

Little creak won't stop Hall roaring - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/04/05/1238869836725.html)

cruiser
6th April 2009, 07:51 PM
That is surprising for mine. Not for the first 4, but when was the last time that two top-ups (especially where neither were RBN-- what's happened to him anyway?-- or Nathan Gordon) were in the best player list?

'Amateurs' rather oversimplifies it, especially where half of our team are under-age amateurs.

Aaron Bruce didn't become a different player with different abilities, when he got turfed by the Swans and took what would have, in fact, been only a modest pay-cut. On a quick look at the Eastlake team list, there are at least 2 others with experience on an AFL list (Aaron Rogers and Chad Gibson).

AFL Canberra may be a noticeable half-step down from VFL, SANFL and WAFL; but in truth it's not too bad a standard.
You ignored my use of the word 'thrashed'. A loss is one thing, a thrashing is unacceptable.

unconfuseme
8th April 2009, 05:16 AM
My 2 cents

To be honest some of the performances were very poor. The talls Orreal, Pike and Currie were dissapointing. Johnson was mediocre and often seemed disinterested. Brabz was ok in parts but he needs to do a lot more if he is to be considered for 1st grade selection.

Some positives: Definately Hannebury was impressive, I actually thought MOD was good in parts as was Gilly. The top ups however were useless. Joe Britton (48) at only 16 was one of the few to have a red hot go. I also found it amusing that half the stadium was only there to see him as well.

A loss was to be expected, but a loss like that, is pretty shocking.

Have to agree ... BUT, it was more often than not a listed player, with a skill error, or just ignoring a top up player he didn't know, that was causing the embarrassment!

... you will find that most of our top up players this year will be u/18 players or scholarship boys like Jay Lewis (just turned 17) he was # 50, and was feeling his way in his 1st ressies game, and will be a big improver.
Britton 16, Bryce Addison (Dylan's brother) just turned 18 ... most of them have not even met each other before, let alone trained or played together ... there is a pool of 40 odd they will chose from, so no real chance to gel as a team either. If the "paid" players don't do better, it will be a long season.

Somehow, I think Canberra have done enough rule tweaking to ensure that they get that flag back down there this year ! ... not sure how beneficial it will be for the Swans 2nd tier player developement though!???:(