PDA

View Full Version : Observations from NSO game (warning - very very long)

liz
16th February 2003, 08:25 PM
Not really a match report per se (I find it difficult to get a perspective on the game when I'm at ground level - normally watch at an elevation). But here are some observations on players:

BBBH

Should have had 6 goals by quarter time. Not sure if he actually had an opponent - if he did it must have been Sheedy providing another of his kids a baptism by fire. Was presenting himself well and marking strongly. Kicking for goal less good. Didn't play after half time.

McVeigh

Played after half time and did diddly squat. Looked a bit overawed by it all. Looks very skinny.

Mathews

Solid without really doing anything of note.

O'Keefe

Came on towards the end of the second quarter and played for most of the rest of the game. Took a while to get into things but lifted intensity in second half. OK without being special.

C Bolton

OK - nothing special. Took a couple of nice defensive marks.

Cresswell

Played the first half. Played like he normally does - got a decent amount of the ball, wasted some but set up a fair amount of play, especially early on. Didn't play after half time.

Fixter

Came on after half time. Threw himself into the action straight away. Was hard at the ball without being brilliant.

Williams

Took a little while to work his way into the game but was excellent from midway through the first quarter to near to the end of the second (which was when the whole team was dominant). Signs that we can reasonably expect another year from Willo like the last. Didn't play after half time.

Maxfield

Came out firing from the start and was pretty effective. Scored a very nice goal, atypical of most of his. Looks pretty fit and strong. Don't think the captaincy will "weigh him down" based on this brief siting. Didn't play after half time.

Fozzie

Played for most of first 3 quarters. Busy, mostly out on the wing. Used the ball decently for the most part. Good without being great.

McPherson

Came on after half time. Looked to be a player with a point to prove. Did some very nice things, including snaring a somewhat flukey long goal that bounced past several players in the goal square. Was one of the reasons the Swans held on for victory.

Stevens

Marked very very well. And in the third quarter when he was the main target up forward (with Hall off) presented himself very well. Kicking for goal was ordinary. Not sure how many behinds he kicked - at least 3, I reckon, probably more and most were gettable. Less impressed with his chasing off the ball.

Kennelly

Started very well. Was heavily involved in setting up the first two kicks on goal - which unfortunately were misses, but that wasn't his fault. Faded after that, although he did hit Bazza on the chest a couple more times. Would like to have seem him do more.

Ablett

Only played after half time. Should have taken a leaf out of Frosty's book. Didn't look to be putting his hand up for a spot in next week's team. A couple of nice things but nowhere near enough.

Nicks

Good without being great. Started in defence but then moved forward in second quarter. Didn't play after half time (I think).

Bolton

Pretty good actually. Didn't dominate but was definitely one of the Swans better players. Kicked a few beautiful long, well directed kicks into the forward line. One looked like a pass forward but went through for a goal. Involved in a lot of play, was physical at man and ball but looked to have more purpose about it than most of last season. Good at diving into packs but all in actually getting the ball out to a team mate.

Schauble

Played on Lloyd for part of the game and was caught behind a few times. Probably just shaded down back but didn't disgrace himself.

Dempster

I think he just played the final quarter - he certainly wasn't on before half time. Didn't see much of the ball but took one nice mark about 40m out from goal and kicked the possibly the straightest roost on goal I've ever seen.

Powell

V interesting to see Powell out there. Got the most game time of the yet-to-debut players by far. Started the game as the second defender, alongside Schauble. Still looks like a stick. Made a couple of blues (one of which resulted directly in an Essendon goal) but was very very impressed with his attitude. Never let his head drop and kept on with his job. Took a couple of excellent overhead marks under some pressure and almost took a beauty in the third quarter. Recovered from not quite holding on to it to make sure the ball was wrapped up. His build means I wonder whether he'll ever make it but certainly today's effort was enough to give us some hope.

Kirk

Came on midway through the second quarter and took some time to get involved. Worked his way into the game well in the third quarter. Some of his disposals were very good, especially by hand. Pretty creative at times. Was one of the few senior players to play in the final quarter and his experience and class showed compared to the rookies he was playing along side. A major reason why the Swans just managed to hold on.

Warfe

Didn't seem to get much game time - or at least I didn't notice him much. Was on at the death and it may have been him who kicked the goal that got the Swans back in front near the end. Couldn't see very well because it was over the other side of the ground. If it was him it was the straightest kick I've ever seen him do!

Schneider

On at the start but struggled a bit. Got a bit of the ball early on but didn't use it very well. Kept on trying but this performance was nothing to get too excited about.

Goodes

One of Sydney's best. Held his own in the ruck, as he usually does. Occasionally wasteful with disposals but was involved in a lot of the play for first 3 quarters. Seems confident. Pretty vocal out there on the ground.

Thewlis

Played for most (maybe all) of the second half and was pretty impressive. Certainly didn't dominate but did some nice things. Looks a strong mark, kicked a beautiful goal from the boundary and effected a fantastic spoil right in front of where I was standing. It may have been him rather than Warfe that kicked the goal to get the boys back in front (similar hair!!). Tallish, strongly built and moves well. Seems confident. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him debut this year.

McGlone

Played second half. Still very slight. Didn't seem to do much.

Malceski

Played second half. In opening minutes of 3rd quarter made a very nice interception straight in front of goal but missed his shot badly. Still, worked hard for rest of game and got a bit of the ball.

Meiklejohn

ALong with Thewlis was probably the most impressive of the new kids. Is a decent build already and took over from Goodes in the ruck at the end of each quarter, plus played the whole of the final quarter in the ruck. Provided a decent contest at centre bounces. Worked hard to get to contests around the ground. Certainly didn't dominate but nor was he obviously outplayed. Still has a way to go if he is going to become an AFL player BUT if worst comes to worst and we lose Ball and Doyle for long parts of the season and need another body to provide Goodes with some help (ala Brockman last year) he could probably do the job.

Bevan

Saw him running around the ground in the final quarter but didn't see him get the ball more than a couple of times.

Roos

Pretty impressed on two counts. Firstly, for 3 quarters the Swans were the better team out there, despite looking much much smaller than the Bombers. Even allowing for the fact we were missing Saddo, Doyle and Ball, the Swans look like a pretty skinny team. But he had them backing themselves and playing attacking, mostly direct football. Skillwise they were easily a match for the Bombers except in their kicking for goal. They were also the more aggressive, focussed team for most of the game.

Secondly, in the final quarter it looked like we were going to get overrun, which would have been an injustice given we were the better team for 3 quarters by a sizeable degree. But what most of the crowd (who were getting pissed off) didn't get was that our 15 players out there for the whole of that quarter included Thewlis, Meiklejohn, McGlone, Dempster, McVeigh, Bevan, Ablett, Schneider, Malceski, with only Frosty, O'Keefe, Kirk and Warfe providing real senior experience. (Can't remember if Fixter was out there as well, but don't think so). Most of the really senior players were back in the dressing room by then, but he had Fozzie, Bolton (x2), Goodes, Tiger and a few others all sitting on the bench. But he didn't bring them on. He let the kids keep going, and gave them a chance to see what they could do. And I'm not exactly sure where they found it from, but in the last 5 minutes they dug deep and found enough not only to stem the Essendon flow, but to kick two goals themselves. They should be pretty pleased with their collective efforts at the death there.

Overall, some pleasing things to come out of the afternoon, even though it is only an early season practice game. Certainly we don't seem destined to prop up the wrong end of the ladder if that performance is anything to go by.

Reggi
16th February 2003, 08:36 PM
So in short Lizz none of the younger guys did enough to impress that they are ready to step up with the exception of Scott Stevens and Thewliss and Meiklejohn, other than that it was the same players as last year?

Anyone in particular who looks ready to step up?

Our physically light side will cost us this year.

liz
16th February 2003, 08:52 PM
Reggi

Just as I won't get too excited about beating Essendon this early on, nor would I write anyone off too soon.

Also worth remembering that NSO is a tiny ground, so small that they played 15 a side. That means that its pretty hard to find space at times, and wingmen like Fozzie and Kennelly were always going to find it hard to strut their stuff.

There was light rain falling for most of the game - never heavy but enough to make the ball greasy. Also made it harder, I guess, though the skills were surprisingly good in those conditions, so early in the year.

Given the injury situation (assuming there's not many to come back in for next week) I'd expect Thewlis and Meiklejohn to get a chance next week. Ablett probably will too, though based on this afternoon's effort I'd rather see Schneider get a go. And if Saddo isn't ready they may have to play Powell.

Other than the real rookies, the players I was most impressed with were Bolton (J) and Stevens, though Stevens does need to work harder off the ball.

Ajn
16th February 2003, 08:56 PM
Given the overall wrap up we did well to win. Thanks for the news though Lizz! Kicking skills will improve without a tree on the ground.

Reggi
16th February 2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks Lizz.

Hopefully Eade's absence will mean Bolton can get back to some of his best form of 2000- 2001 though he was also looking good this time last year.

I gather Stevens has put on some weight but not a lot.

I think Roos would be wise to give Schneider and Ablett a go. Both of those guys need to make their mark.

McVeigh should be put in the reserves until 2004 IMHO. Given Sydney is a quick side we will probably be better suited to the larger grounds.

Thewlis sounds promising.

swansrock4eva
16th February 2003, 09:14 PM
I honestly didn't think J Bolton had done that much during the match, but then saw he'd kicked a couple and was more invovled than i had seen from my 2 vantage points. I did see some things of his early on that I liked, but thought he'd faded, but obviously he'd just moved from where i could see him!

V. Impressed with Meiklejohn - James will have tough competition to get that senior spot if this guy can produce like this on a regular basis.

Stevens and Hall could make a mean forward combination - if they both play the way they did today, or better, some teams with weaker backlines will be exposed.

In general, I liked seeing one or two fly in a pack and 2 or 3 hang around the bottom waiting for the crumbs or to spread out and create options. Also liked seeing similar play in a pack on the ground - something we have lacked for a while. Also lots of communication, both on and off the path of play - no-one out there was silent.

I saw more of a team out there than I have at this time in previous seasons - if they build on this in a positive way, i'm happy :)

and aside from that, WE WON!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Reggi
16th February 2003, 09:21 PM
Sheedy has bagged his senior players for being ordinary, but seemed of the opinion that Sydney played very very well.

Apparently Cupido was firing

liz
16th February 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by swansrock4eva

V. Impressed with Meiklejohn - James will have tough competition to get that senior spot if this guy can produce like this on a regular basis.

Don't think that Meiklejohn and James are really in competition though. If James can get his body good he will get a chance - he's that good and we need his height and ability in defence.

Good though Meiklejohn was, realistically he will only get a chance if we are desparate for a ruckman - and that will be because one (or hopefully not) both of Doyle and Ball are long term injuries. Then he can be promoted to replace one of these.

swansrock4eva
16th February 2003, 09:33 PM
They aren't in direct competition for the one spot we have, but if Ball still doesn't get right, we NEED the extra ruck option and Meiklejohn could be it. On the other hand if Schaubs has problems with FB, then James may get the spot by default - their fate seems to rest on the ill-fortunes of some of their teammates (poor buggers!)

Reggi
16th February 2003, 09:34 PM
Has Heath had a knee reconstruction.

That being the case he is no chance of playing before August.

ojayc
16th February 2003, 09:35 PM
Scotty Stevens is a great mark but FAAAAAARRRRRK will somebody teach him to kick straight!!!!

liz
16th February 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
Has Heath had a knee reconstruction.

That being the case he is no chance of playing before August.

James ruptured his patella tendon, as I understand. So he hasn't had the full knee reco. Originally they said he wouldn't be ready to play until June, though recently I read that he has progressed far quicker than expected. That said, if he plays senior footy it won't be before the second half of the season, and I doubt there's pressure on him to get a senior chance. The club is probably just looking to give him a chance to get his body right and show that he can still play.

liz
16th February 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ojayc
Scotty Stevens is a great mark but FAAAAAARRRRRK will somebody teach him to kick straight!!!!

LOL - I noticed last season that he is either spot on or completely wayward, rarely anything in between. His first 6 shots in the H&A season were all goals and I decided he wasn't capable of missing. The he proceeded to kick 6.5 for the rest of the season.

Agree though that it is one thing he needs to work on. Such a shame to see all those great marks go to waste!

Bron
16th February 2003, 09:52 PM
OK, my thoughts, not as well constructed as Lizz's (but in # order)....

Craig Bolton took some good marks, I saw him around the ground, but didn't stand out.

Stewie - played hard, but I didn't notice him in the 2nd half - I gather he wasn't out there at all.

McPherson - great goal from the centre of the ground .... not that it would have worked on a "real" ground. Still, looked solid in his kicks.

Scotty Stevens - a couple of woeful missed goals, but some GREAT marks, some of which resulted in goals.

Tadhg - rather quiet

Nicksy - looked pretty good, seemed more focused than at the end of last year.

Jude (BSMBH) Bolton - he's back at the top of my list. Some great marks, very tenacious, seemed to come up a winner a lot more than last year. Also some well-aimed kicks. A huge step up from the last game I saw him play (I was disappointed last year, now I'm excited about his prospects),

Andrew Schauble - outdone.

Sean Dempster - a good goal from nowhere

Mark Powell - a good option, seemed to try hard and be in a lot of plays.

Adam Schneider - good efforts, seemed quite involved in the first half

Adam Goodes - one of our best, great ruck work

Josh Thewlis - some tough hits and good commitment - ran down the ball and opposition players, good tackles

James Meiklejohn = he looks BIG, I've just looked at the record and he's only 197 cm, but gee, he looked huge!

CureTheSane
16th February 2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks girls
Great feedback :)

Bron
16th February 2003, 10:05 PM
Photos have been sent to Des, however, I just stood up and took them on a couple of occasions, no skill, just when I remembered! But I did take a few!

Bron
16th February 2003, 10:06 PM
I've missed the footie.

swansrock4eva
16th February 2003, 10:09 PM
ur not the only one bron! I came home and went "ow my throat hurts" then was like "YESSSSS!!!!! footy's back!!!! :D"

swan_song
16th February 2003, 10:44 PM
Lizz
Thought your analysis spot on. Very impressed with BBBH's and Stevens's games. McVeigh is a prospect for further down the track, 2004/5...he's a bit too skinny for the As this year. I thought the first half side was running away with it when BBBH lost his cool with that niggling from the Bombers (was it Wellman?). Those two 50m penalties and resulting goal seemed to make the boys lose concentration for 10 or so minutes and let SNDON back in the match.
I was impressed with the youngsters on both sides in the 2nd half. The Bombers for regaining the lead, and our boys for putting their foot down again.
I said to my wife that Frosty would kick that goal no worries as (she's tired of me saying it) "he's one of the better kicks in the team". But even I had a grin on my face after that one bounced through. A good first-up effort, and encouraging for when we get the likes of Saddo, Magic, Ball, Davis, Seymour, etc back.
And boy do I love beating Essendon...almost as much as the Kangas...:D

Jimmy C
16th February 2003, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a fun practice game. It might not be such a woeful season after all. Glad the aerial ping-pong is back. Great to see the kids getting such a long run.

CARNA BLOODS!

swan_song
16th February 2003, 11:06 PM
Another point worth mentioning is the dilemma facing us at full back. Shauble was caught behind a number of times by Lloyd, though he did do a couple of nice spoils...In the second half, with Schauble rested, Lt Warfe spent some time on Lloyd, who immediately took two or three marks and kicked one or two goals. Warfe is not the answer at FB, and neither is AS really up to taking on the No 1 attacker week in week out. It's a worry for the season proper. AS will probably be given the job, especially on teams without recognised full forwards, but he's not quite up to it, IMO, on top leading FFs such as Lloyd, and although he has good upper body strength, he may struggle against the bullocking/wrestling FFs such as Neitz...
Where are ya Dunks?

SWANSBEST
16th February 2003, 11:35 PM
I have just read obsevations from some people who were at the match. I think that the reports are generally negative while I came away from the game feeling far more positive. I think Roos gave some very inexperienced young players some good game time particularly in the second half . Of the new players
I was very impressed with Thewlis and Meiklejohn, Powell (complete with 70s hair style) and Craig Bolton. Dempster, from limited opportunities also looked OK .
In regard to Meiklejohn I was pleasantly surprised with his form. He is only 18 years and I thought that he was very mobile for someone so big. I believe that he is far more talented than Ricky Mott and a far better prospect. I also think he will do very well in the long term.The only player that I was really disappointed with was McVeigh. He looks undernourished and was very tentative. Maybe I was expecting a lot more from a No1 draft choice. A few people unfairly bagged Tadhg but he spent a lot of time off the paddock.
Overall I think the team put in a good effort and battled hard to win after Essendon got in front with only minutes left on the clock

Steve
17th February 2003, 12:02 AM
There are a few relevant (not many) photos up at Essendon's website (http://www.essendonfc.com.au/media/photos.asp?sp=1&vs=&vp=&vr=100&vy=&va=) - they go over onto page 2 as well.

McVeigh still doesn't turn 18 until April, and by the sounds of it maybe shouldn't have played today. Hopefully they take their time with him and not bow to the pressure from supporters to play an early draft pick too early.

That's strange about Stevens' set shots - maybe the conditions - it has been one of his strengths at Port over the past couple of years.

A bit disappointing about Ablett - he should be given the next couple of games to really show something or not.

Essendon were very very keen on Powell before he was drafted - if he can beef up he should be quite promising. Maybe put him on Ricky Mott's individual program next summer.

liz
17th February 2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
I have just read obsevations from some people who were at the match. I think that the reports are generally negative while I came away from the game feeling far more positive.

Not meant to be negative - just a realistic assessment of each player's performance. I thought overall the team did well and there were promising signs

The only player that I was really disappointed with was McVeigh. He looks undernourished and was very tentative. Maybe I was expecting a lot more from a No1 draft choice.

Actually don't think we had any right to expect anything of the newbies like McVeigh. Those that did perform well were a bonus, but McVeigh was selected for the long term, not today

A few people unfairly bagged Tadhg but he spent a lot of time off the paddock.

Not sure anyone did bag Kennelly. Just stated that he didn't do a huge amount, which is true

Overall I think the team put in a good effort and battled hard to win after Essendon got in front with only minutes left on the clock

Absolutely agree

penga
17th February 2003, 08:33 AM
a few things i got out of the game:

-first of all i think Thewliss is a gun, what number did we pick him up at again? a much better no. 38 than last year (i know different positions but he will be a lot more effective) he looked physically mature and what a shot on goal! im 99% sure that was him just before the end of the game. he, imo, looks like he could get quite a bit of game time this year...

-warfe is useless, he shoulda been delisted last season or traded... with saddo to come back and james in the wings with powell as a long term prospect and c bolton as a new import i dont think warfe will be needed... i was SO disappointed with his effort when there was a heap of hard work across half back and he got the outlet handball, took a run up the middle and kicked it straight to an essendon player! how very typical... it was the worst kick of the game by a swans player and he had noone around him!!!

-j bolton really impressed me, he did all his good work right in front of me, his kicking skills have improved 20 fold as with his decision making, he convinced me that he was going for goal when he kicked that long one. j bolton will be a good player this year!

floppinab
17th February 2003, 09:12 AM
What I *really* want to know is.....

Who were the two loonies who downed the togs and did the dash sans apparel after the game?? :eek: :eek:
penga, Steve, SS come guys own up.

Got any photos of THAT one Lizz.

penga
17th February 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
What I *really* want to know is.....

Who were the two loonies who downed the togs and did the dash sans apparel after the game?? :eek: :eek:
penga, Steve, SS come guys own up.

Got any photos of THAT one Lizz.

i missed that :(

NMWBloods
17th February 2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by penga
a few things i got out of the game:

-first of all i think Thewliss is a gun, what number did we pick him up at again? a much better no. 38 than last year (i know different positions but he will be a lot more effective) he looked physically mature and what a shot on goal! im 99% sure that was him just before the end of the game. he, imo, looks like he could get quite a bit of game time this year...

-j bolton really impressed me, he did all his good work right in front of me, his kicking skills have improved 20 fold as with his decision making, he convinced me that he was going for goal when he kicked that long one. j bolton will be a good player this year!

This would be a huge boost for us if our much younger players stood up this year. I think if Bolton became a good player this year, it would be a major plus. Wouldn't it be nice to see him finally gain some maturity on field this year.

robbieando
17th February 2003, 10:22 AM
Look from what I've heard I'm happy to see Stevens, Bolton and Menklejohn perform. These 3 players could be very important for us in the years to come. Thewlis seems a good player as does Powell if we can get a few rookies to push though during the year we are well placed for the future, just have to improve our fitness and find the right FB.

Rizzo
17th February 2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. This the first NSO match I've missed :(

The AFL website has Thewlis goaling with his first kick so I'd say it was him rather than Warfe.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=73643

Sounds like Stevens had quite a fews shots for his 4 goals.

Roos says he was pleased with Schauble even though Lloyd got past him a few times. Our backline was also missing Saddo and Leo.

So, what this word on injuries? I didn't realise these two were out.

Ball is still coming back from last years injury I assume?

Davis is recovering from a post season op...?

Whats up with Micky O?

Bas
17th February 2003, 10:48 AM
Well yesterday was peace protest day. I went to NSO and sat peacefully for most of the time and protested most umpire decisions against the Swans. Did my bit.

It's interesting how people see the game differently depending where they sit and what they are looking for. I sat in the O'Reilly Stand at about half way. My only disappointments yesterday were that I forgot to take the digital camera and a pen for recording scores. I concentrated on the younger guys. With senior players, the game wasn't going to tell you much.

I agree with what most have said and I was very impressed with Meiklejohn, Thewlis, Powell, Dempster, Malceski and C. Bolton. Congratulations to the Swan's Recruiting Dept. Powell was excellent in defence. Someone should put him on the Dean Rioli diet immediately. Wasn't he huge. Sheedy has praised Bolton's effort in today's paper. J. Bolton has beefed up and had a good game. I'm not a fan of his so it's an unbiased comment. Alhough I still think he's better than Mark McVeigh.

I'll mention a few things not covered by others. I didn't see Cressa get involved at all whereas Stewie was very hard at the ball. He really pushed the knee hard and seems to be recovered.

McVeigh didn't get much of a chance but he did cop a bit from the bomber players, probably a welcome to senior level. Very athletic though. Star in future.

Game consisted of two 30 min qtrs and then two 20 min qtrs. The last qtr went for about 30 mins though when the scoring was goal for goal.

No major injuries on either side.

Lloyd played full game. Hird and Fletcher played first 3 qtrs. Fletcher kicked some really long kick outs. One must have gone for about 70 metres!! Jobe Watson is a mirror image of his father. From a distance, looks and runs the same way. Will be future star.

Although Malceski is thinner than Thewlis. He took a contested mark on full time and then cooly slotted a goal from about 50. A few minutes later, he held back the full back to allow the ball to bounce through for a gaol. So although he's thin, he seems to be strong.

Sausage sandwiches were $4.00. Coke $2.70. Big time rip off. Fox Footy no where to be seen, so don't expect any replays. I was hoping they would be there after last year but obviously last year's game was a trial run for the season.

Best performance in NSO game in 3 years. Should be an exciting year.

SWANSBEST
17th February 2003, 10:59 AM
Herald Sun reviewhttp://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,5994618%255E20322,00.html[URL]

SWANSBEST
17th February 2003, 11:14 AM
SMH reporthttp://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/16/1045330474079.html

TheMase
17th February 2003, 11:34 AM
Just a few interesting notes I would like to make. Just on what people have said here as I was not at the game.

I cannot see many negatives here, but I will list the positives below.

- The new draftees and 2002 draftees. Very encouraging, especially the 2003 draftree. Malceski, Thewlis, and Dempster all seemed to have some sort of an impact, and from reports we might see one or two of these involved in a lot of senior action this season.
Powell is very encouraging, if he can beef up a bit, he sounds like he can be another Saddington type, perhaps more solid though. Very encouraging indeed.

- From all reports the skills were pretty solid, and in the rain that is an amazing performance from the Swans, when you consider we couldn't even put it together in the dry most of the time last season.

- When challenge in the last quarter, we rose to the challenge and ran out winners, how many times did this happen last year? we normally give up!

I might add more later.

Charlie
17th February 2003, 11:52 AM
When challenge in the last quarter, we rose to the challenge and ran out winners, how many times did this happen last year? we normally give up!

Further evidence that the fadeout problem was an Eade afffliction. 11 games now for Roos, and the only close one we've gone down in was vs. Port. And that one was against one of the top 2 teams in the AFL. We've held out against St Kilda and now Essendon, and finished off Richmond and the Kangaroos when they looked capable of overtaking us.

Charlie

Rizzo
17th February 2003, 03:08 PM
Interesting comment from Sheeeeeds -

"To us this is the best practice match in the AFL. It gets bigger and better every year, and it is the envy of all the other clubs. Trying to take this match off us would be like trying to take Anzac Day off Collingwood," Sheedy said

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/15/1044927849556.html

I must admit, I love the atmosphere, the hill, the old stands and picket fence. Shame about the pricing for food and drinks. I don't remember it being that bad last time!

jude_boltons_babe
17th February 2003, 05:07 PM
me and rowan and a few othersw were talking and we saw two guys run onto the field then they took off all there clothes rowan was just lookingt and lol it was so funny then the security ran onto the field to catch them it was quite funny but other then that the day was excellent i had the best time ever

NMWBloods
17th February 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Further evidence that the fadeout problem was an Eade afffliction.

A long-time Swans/South Melbourne affliction actually. If Roos can cure this (obviously way way too early to tell yet - we were good in close ones in '96) then he is truly a champion!

Nico
17th February 2003, 07:23 PM
Well,well only a couple of days ago we had a number of pessimists on the site bemoaning the "woeful" training runs.

After the coaching announcement, the draft and considering our second half last season, I was extremely upbeat about our chances a couple of months ago, and nothing has changed. There will certainly be improvement in all facets of our game.

Sure, it is only the first practice match but by all reports we played pretty well, and our skills were good. Anyone who saw Roos play footy would have to know that he was the consummate professional. So why would he demand anything different as a coach.

As someone said last week, "practice at training is just that, practice." Get into some match conditions and they hit each other on the chest, except Warfe who is probably past changing his ways.

Who knows what tactics they have been developing as a group behind closed doors. There is more to a team and a season than just having a kick in the park and a bit of gym work.

So to those pessimists, get excited, fasten your seat belts, hang onto your hats and get set for an exciting season.

We will no doubt have some downers, but I am sure the glory will outdo the defeats.

Great to see Thewlis, the "country recruit" exciting the fans pre-season. Just like the old days.

Does anyone remember when John Sudholz and Mark Roberts came to town?

Cheer Cheer
17th February 2003, 08:57 PM
Great to see everyones in depth comments about the match and players etc
Being in Melbourne I only got a glimpse of a few highlights on the news, so to read all these comments has been really insightful
All looks pretty positive
Couldnt have really asked for a better start looks like

liz
17th February 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo

The AFL website has Thewlis goaling with his first kick so I'd say it was him rather than Warfe.

Roos says he was pleased with Schauble even though a Lloyd got past him a few times. Our backline was also missing Saddo and Leo.

So, what this word on injuries? I didn't realise these two were out.

Whats up with Micky O?

On Thewlis, the goal I wasn't sure about was the one to put us back in the lead, and from news reports I now know it was neither Warfe nor Thewlis but Stevens. (There were a lot of players blocking my view of it - hence the guess). I definitely saw Thewlis' first kick that scored - it was an absolute beauty from tight on the touchline in the pocket.

I thought Schauble did OK - certainly wouldn't be hitting panic buttons just yet about the FB position. He was playing on the best (second best?!) FF in the comp and Lloyd looked pretty switched on. Plus the size of the ground means that the ball can come very very quickly into the forward line and most full-backs would have struggled. Schaubs did a whole lot better than whoever was playing on Hall or Stevens at the other end!

Leo's been listed as "out" for a couple of weeks. Hopefully neither he nor Saddo have anything more than niggling injuries. Both seem to have participated pretty much in pre-season training thus far.

Micky O' seems to have a slight calf strain that caused him to be a late withdrawal from the Carlton/All-Stars game last weekend so again, hopefully nothing major.

LondonSwan
17th February 2003, 09:36 PM
Were any stats kept for the game.

bricon
17th February 2003, 09:55 PM
Were any stats kept for the game.

Only the most important one.

Swans 127
Bombers 119

:D

P.S. Comprehensive stats are all but irrelevent in trial (or even pre-season) matches.

desredandwhite
17th February 2003, 09:59 PM
I had a poke around the swans website and if there are any stats on this game, they're not easy to find!!!

I'll be happy with goals/behinds for this one I think.. more thorough for next week though please!!!

liz
17th February 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
I had a poke around the swans website and if there are any stats on this game, they're not easy to find!!!

I'll be happy with goals/behinds for this one I think.. more thorough for next week though please!!!

I'm normally very diligent about keeping the scores in my Record. Unfortunately the combination of standing to watch the game and it raining for most of it (and I wasn't under cover) meant it wasn't practical. Will try to do better next week!

Norris Lurker
17th February 2003, 10:06 PM
The Swans dominated for most of the game, and in some ways it would have been an injustice if the Bombers had managed to pinch it. But it could have so easily happened - some Swans sides in the past would have capitulated even further once the opposition hit the front like that; so the Swans showed a lot of character to steady and regain the lead.
Having said at the 8 minute mark when Sydney were leading by 32 points "Essendon can't win from here", I would have had egg on my face if the Bombers had managed to hold on.:eek:
Scott Stevens - his inaccuracy could have been costly, but overall I thought he was a big positive for the Swans. After BBBBH and some of the other big names went off, especially with Hird and Lloyd still on the field, I thought an Essendon comeback was a possibility in the third quarter; but Stevens' efforts gave the Swans a buffer that turned out to be just enough.

Off the field, the crowd was a bit disappointing compared to the last couple of years; but even so it's more than any other trial match will get - and there'll be Wizard Cup games next weekend with smaller crowds than that. The game didn't seem to have been promoted as much as the last couple of years; and the weather, the peace march and trackwork on the North Shore line certainly didn't help.
But, despite the reduced numbers, it was good to catch up with some of the RWO people. And great to have the footy back.:)

desredandwhite
17th February 2003, 10:07 PM
was already very pleased with your VERY excellent effort in this thread liz, I was more concerned about the official site not giving us any stats :)

penga
17th February 2003, 10:37 PM
we need some sought of special call so that we can recognise fellow RWOers, i was looking around at people wanting to know if there was anyone around me that was an RWOite...

desredandwhite
17th February 2003, 10:40 PM
hmmm... maybe I should look into organising RWO merchandise :D

anyone for a crappy cap or t-shirt? :D

swansrock4eva
17th February 2003, 11:45 PM
Caps mess with ze hair so maybe a nice t-shirt for me pls?

In the meantime I'll have an A4 sized poster displayed somehow for next week so ppl can find me!

Grant
18th February 2003, 08:10 AM
A nice cap wouldn't be a bad idea.

penga
18th February 2003, 08:59 AM
there really isnt enough about rwo around, i only found this site when i did a search on one of the players through google, all i had previously was the official site and how frustrating is that

desredandwhite
18th February 2003, 09:33 AM
Actually searches are pretty good to RWO. if you search for "sydney swans", RWO ranks 2nd or 3rd in most seach engines (altavista is a strange one, we make the 7th or 8th page)

Rizzo
18th February 2003, 11:31 AM
Match Details:

Sydney: 5.5 12.7 15.11 19.13 (127)
Essendon: 4.2 10.2 12.4 19.5 (119)

Goals: Sydney: Hall 5, Stevens 4, J.Bolton 2, Dempster 2, Williams 2, Maxfield, Nicks, Thewlis, Schneider.
Essendon: Lloyd 4, Watson 2, Laycock 2, Bolton 2, McVeigh, Ramanauskas, McGrath, Misiti, McPhee, Haynes, Hall, Cupido, Richards.

Best: Sydney: Hall, Stevens Goodes, Williams.
Essendon: Lloyd, Laycock, Johnson.

Injuries: Sydney: nil. Essendon: nil

Reports: nil.

Umpires: Gavin Dore, Stuart Wenn, Stephen McBurney

Crowd: 7,328 at North Sydney Oval, Sydney

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=73718

robbieando
18th February 2003, 12:10 PM
Was the crowd the lowest since we started playing this game?????

Cheer Cheer
18th February 2003, 02:18 PM
By the sounds of it Schuable did a decent job on llyod - kicking only 4 goals, considering he was best on ground for the bombers - he would usually have 7-8 goals to his name, not to mention 15 a side and a small ground with quick swift movement into the forward line.
Schuable might yet be the answer to hold FB down

Triple B
18th February 2003, 05:33 PM
Scorers:

Hall 5/3
C.Bolton 0/1
Williams 1/0
Maxfield 1/0
McPherson 1/0
Stevens 4/5
Nicks 1/0
J.Bolton 2/0
Dempster 1/0
Schneider 1/0
Thewlis 1/0
Malceski 1/2
Meiklejohn 0/1

Rushed 1

Malceski kicked the goal to put us back in front.

Ablett was terrific in the centre clearances when moved there. Provided 3 clear quick handballs to runners that led directly to scores. His efforts were very good. Surprised it wasn't noticed.

LondonSwan
18th February 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
I I'll be happy with goals/behinds for this one I think.. more thorough for next week though please!!!

Ditto but it would have been nice to know how the young ones fared - irrelevant or not. Even Horse trainers keep minute details of track gallops to show improvement occurring.

ojayc
18th February 2003, 07:28 PM
The smallish crowd surprised me but I guess we were competing with the peace rally, the first cricket game at Stadium Australia, poor weather and no trains on the north shore line.

Bron
19th February 2003, 06:58 PM
Yes it was the smallest crowd. Both the last two years have been listed as "sell outs" - whether that was true or not they were mighty crowded! And the 2001 game was in torrential rain. I was amazed at the people who stuck it out. Whereas I reckon on Sunday there were fewer people than in 2001 out in the open areas. 2002 was absolutely packed. Regardless, it's a great game. Great atmosphere, fun, close to everything, everyone's happy. (or maybe I should say just desperate to see some footy!)

desredandwhite
19th February 2003, 07:10 PM
Don't forget the Spirit game out at Cronulla too :D

and the airshow :D

umm. that accounts for two of the missing people anyway.

Bas
20th February 2003, 08:57 PM
In previous years there wasn't another game in Sydney until the season started. Maybe people held off going because of the game next week. Two of my friends did that and will go this Saturday night instead.

The rain in 2001 wasn't that torrential Bron. It did get a bit heavy but I thought not that bad. Definately less people on the hill than in 2001. O'Reilly and Bob Stands were packed this year.

This Sat night the Swans compete against the Rolling Bones (Homebush and next door), Bruce Springstein (SCG) and Sydney Kings (Entertainment Centre - City). Damn why did they allow the Kings game this Sat night!!!!! Friday night has Soper 12 Thugby at Football Stadium.

If we get about 20,000 then that would be good. Only bottom section of Stadium will be open and stands won't.

desredandwhite
20th February 2003, 09:33 PM
Kings are playing on Sunday arvo, Bas.

Bart
20th February 2003, 10:29 PM
and Bruce is on 22nd March, not Feb

Donners
21st February 2003, 10:54 AM
C Bolton

OK - nothing special. Took a couple of nice defensive marks.

He was named best on ground in the Herald Sun, IIRC. Did he really play at full back on Lloyd?

penga
21st February 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Donners
He was named best on ground in the Herald Sun, IIRC. Did he really play at full back on Lloyd?

yeah, he did and i thought he did a better job than schauble... that was the impression that he gave me from the few contests he was involved with lloyd

Donners
22nd February 2003, 11:43 AM
That's quite an effort, as he would be giving away a lot of height and weight. The ability of a mid-sized defender to "play tall" could be very useful in the absence of Dunkley.