PDA

View Full Version : How PF tickets should be sold IMHO

Roscoe
10th September 2003, 11:29 AM
Day 1.

All Swans members are given the option to buy their existing seat
or a seat that does not have a member attached to it. If members do not use these 2 options on day 1, they forfiet the right to buy their existing seats.

Day 2.

All Swans members are allowed to buy any seats that have not been sold on day 1 .

Day 3.

All seats become open and anybody - member or general public can buy any available seat

Any comments ?

jixygirl
10th September 2003, 11:35 AM
I like it the way it works at the moment because at least people are guaranteed a seat. The problem that they have to face is the amount of tickets per membership card, especially if they want to cut out scalping.

robbieando
10th September 2003, 11:56 AM
I would do it like this

Day 1 and 2

Every Member can buy tickets, with a limit of 2 guess passes per membership ticket. So 3 per member.

Day 3

Every ticket left then goes on public sale

Bart
10th September 2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
Day 1.

All Swans members are given the option to buy their existing seat
or a seat that does not have a member attached to it. If members do not use these 2 options on day 1, they forfiet the right to buy their existing seats.

Day 2.

All Swans members are allowed to buy any seats that have not been sold on day 1 .

Day 3.

All seats become open and anybody - member or general public can buy any available seat

Any comments ?

Admirable in theory Roscoe, but if you thought the delays and queues were long yesterday, it would be farcial if everybody was getting a specifc seat.

It would also mean less of a crowd, because there's no way I would have got the crowd going that I have if we were't all sitting together

Rizzo
10th September 2003, 12:42 PM
My guess is that the AFL just didn't anticipate such a large demand for tickets and wanted to make it as easy as possible to flog them.

jixygirl
10th September 2003, 01:45 PM
Well the preliminary final has already some as many tickets as one of the Adelaide games this past weekend. However, they should have realised that the tickets would be in demand because of the last crowd at Telstra Stadium for a football match.

snajik
10th September 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Admirable in theory Roscoe, but if you thought the delays and queues were long yesterday, it would be farcial if everybody was getting a specifc seat.

This is what slowed it up yesterday. Precious types who had to have "my seat" or if not "my seat" at the very least the one adjacent. Having missed out in '96 while standing in the ticketek queue, I was tempted to put my pacifist approach to life to one side while I clocked somebody. Surely getting a ticket is preferable to not getting one. Who cares where it is.

I prefer the 2 guest passes per member idea. Particularly after seeing some rich bastard in a navy blue suit gleefully (greediliy?) ask for 12. If his mates are such fans why not become a member? This isn't NYE fireworks, it's a way of life. Even then the difficulty with the 2 guest passes per member idea is that hypothetically it would take approx. 20,000 members buying three each (taking into account opposition allocations, general public and corporate parasites). Therefore some members would still miss out, which should not happen.

I was also disappointed at the way we were informed that tickets were going on sale. There was a general assumption that everyone has email access. No forewarning by the club other than email. As it happens I only have email access at work and I wasn't in on Monday so I didn't find out until tickets were already on sale. Pity the poor members on leave, whose systems were down or simply don't have a computer.

A very inconsistent decision when one considers that traditionally finals tickets have gone on sale the Monday before the game.

Anyway, I've got my tickets, I'm going, and I'm happy. Trust me.

It goes without saying that we will win.

BAM_BAM
10th September 2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by snajik
This is what slowed it up yesterday. Precious types who had to have "my seat" or if not "my seat" at the very least the one adjacent. .

There's nothing "Precious" about wanting to sit in your usual seat. Tickets cost enough as they are, without being allocated to a seat that is less than desirable. It's not as if we were going to sell all 80 000 tickets on day one, as much as that would be a great feather in the cap for AFL in Sydney. People weren't going to miss out on a seat yesterday.

I realise a lot of guys have invited friends along, and it's great to be able to share the experience with firends and hopefully gain a few more members from it.

Having said that I think people buying 80 odd in one transaction is a little over the top. The AFL needed to ensure their members are looked after. If that person who purchased those tickets were doing it on behalf of a team or club, surely the AFL can cater for this in general areas, that usually aren't reserved to full members.

I missed out on my usual seat and was not overjoyed. Yes I also asked for the closest available to that area, and yes I held up other people. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

It's a hard question to answer as you will never please everyone, but I think a cap should be set, anyone wanting large quantities of seats together should have to make a special arrangement with the AFL via their club. I'm sure this is not too hard.

Lets hope the AFL has learnt from this one and next time will handle things better.

scurrilous
10th September 2003, 04:38 PM

It would also mean less of a crowd, because there's no way I would have got the crowd going that I have if we were't all sitting together

Aaaaaw diddums. /sniff /tear

I share Robbie's idea. It's the fairest way for such a big game.

Norris Lurker
10th September 2003, 07:05 PM
Both clubs' members should get an equal chance to buy tickets. Of course being in Sydney more Swans members than Brisbane or Adelaide members will take up the chance. But with the way it's been done this time, Brisbane/Crows members have been majorly shafted.
I can't help thinking that some time in the future this method of distributing tickets is going to come back and bite; and Sydney members will only get 5,000 tickets to some future final, with some Victorian club's members and the public having had an unlimited grab at the rest of them before the Swans have even qualified.
A much fairer way, and the way it's always been done before, is that on the Monday before the game tickets go on sale to members of either club, a limit of 2 per membership card, first in best dressed with choice of seats regardless of who's home final it is, and whatever's left goes on sale to the public on the Wednesday.

Bart
10th September 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by scurrilous
Aaaaaw diddums. /sniff /tear

I share Robbie's idea. It's the fairest way for such a big game.

Get over it. There's tens of thousands of tickets still left

You'd obviously prefer if it was played in front of 20,000

JF_Bay22_SCG
10th September 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
Both clubs' members should get an equal chance to buy tickets. Of course being in Sydney more Swans members than Brisbane or Adelaide members will take up the chance. But with the way it's been done this time, Brisbane/Crows members have been majorly shafted.
I can't help thinking that some time in the future this method of distributing tickets is going to come back and bite; and Sydney members will only get 5,000 tickets to some future final, with some Victorian club's members and the public having had an unlimited grab at the rest of them before the Swans have even qualified.

Can you seriously tell me that 5000 will come from Brisbane to watch the game Teal? Having seen the turn-ups we get from them at SCG games over the years, I'd seriously doubt we get more than 1000. The only Cheer Squad who turn up are the Lions Squad from Melbourne.

I can tell you mate that Adelaide IS a bloody long way away, even if the "Croh-oos" do have a huge supporter base, and unlike the Brisbane supporters ARE prepared to travel en masse. I'd seriously doubt they would bring 5000 members over either. (But expats from leafy suburbs like Pennant Hills-well that's another story entirely.:rolleyes: )

We never whinged when we only had 26000 general admission seats available for SCG finals. So why should we worry now when the ground holds 74000? I'm sure everyone who wants to go will get in.

And I think the AFL would never be stupid enough to snub Swans supporters for a Melbourne final. Catering to Sydney support is one of their main priorities PERIOD! Belidgerant people south of the Murray like Charlie would be waiting in the wings to bitch moan and snarl their way to get their hands on a ticket anyway. ;)

I think we have more reason to moan about the obscene prices being charged. Especially when they expect us to shell out another $100 (plus flights etc etc) for the big one in Melbourne.

JF

scurrilous
10th September 2003, 10:10 PM
Get over it. There's tens of thousands of tickets still left

You'd obviously prefer if it was played in front of 20,000
Oh I was never under it. Got my tickets with plenty of time to spare. But you just hang in there bud ok. Your efforts, and those of the people you bought tickets for, are well deserving.

motorace_182
10th September 2003, 10:21 PM
Not impressed if i was a non member, but being a member there are very few benefits, and this is now one of them, i am a happy chap with enough tickets to house myself and three mates. If u would like these benefits too sign up for membership.

You should not be able to get ur own seat again, just any seat available and watch the game.