PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 - Richmond

Cheer Squad
27th April 2009, 12:48 PM
Our game against the Tigers on Sunday has all the hallmarks of the classic danger game.

We should win easily, given the turmoil at Tigerland recently and media reports that Richo may miss the game through injury. The Tigers haven't won at the SCG since 2004. Besides, O'Loughlin will be back, and maybe Hall as well.

Having said that, the Tigers had their first win of the season yesterday, and played very well against the Cats at home a couple of weeks ago. I don't think we're in any position to take them lightly, and I don't think we will.

Swans by 44.

Frosty13
27th April 2009, 12:50 PM
Tigers by 39 points.
We are pathetic....

connolly
27th April 2009, 01:22 PM
Our game against the Tigers on Sunday has all the hallmarks of the classic danger game.

We should win easily, given the turmoil at Tigerland recently and media reports that Richo may miss the game through injury. The Tigers haven't won at the SCG since 2004. Besides, O'Loughlin will be back, and maybe Hall as well.

Having said that, the Tigers had their first win of the season yesterday, and played very well against the Cats at home a couple of weeks ago. I don't think we're in any position to take them lightly, and I don't think we will.

Swans by 44.

You forgot to mention that the Tiges are in the fifth year of the Wallet's five year plan for a flag. Bloods by 86.

ScottH
27th April 2009, 01:26 PM
I went out on a limb last week, and was ashamed by the result.
Surely I can't lose twice in a row, by going out on a limb??

Lucky Knickers
27th April 2009, 01:27 PM

At the end of the first qtr my limb was very comfortable.
I think we will win this. The boys owe it to Kirky and B2.

johnno
27th April 2009, 01:34 PM

They'll win for Kirky's 201st game and C.Bolton's 151st game.:D

ScottH
27th April 2009, 01:34 PM

Considering we are only one win ahead of Richmond, Melbourne and Freo, now, should we not be copping a pasting in the media too?

Doctor
27th April 2009, 01:44 PM
The Tigers have had their win so the press will be after someone, or something, else this week.
Richo out, BBBH and Michael K O'Loughlin back and we'll be fired up after letting Kirk down.
Swans by plenty.

johnno
27th April 2009, 01:44 PM
Considering we are only one win ahead of Richmond, Melbourne and Freo, now, should we not be copping a pasting in the media too?

exactley! i've lost count how many times over the years we are about to play a side that is travelling badly, get a caneing in the media leading up to the game which lifts their intensity and we end up losing.

Frog
27th April 2009, 02:06 PM
I'm afraid you can - but after that you won't have a limb to stand on ...

ScottH
27th April 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm afraid you can - but after that you won't have a limb to stand on ...

I don't stand on my arms, I've evolved that far.

AnnieH
27th April 2009, 02:10 PM
Tiggers have a taste.
I'm picking Sydney, but not by much ... provided of course, that they actually turn up to play.

Will the "ex"-junkie be playing?

Lucky Knickers
27th April 2009, 02:13 PM
They'll win for Kirky's 201st game and C.Bolton's 151st game.:D

As per this (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,25388911-5016140,00.html) I'd say the boys will come out firing. I wonder what the banner will read???????

I think they owe Kirky a premiership medallion!

johnno
27th April 2009, 02:25 PM
As per this (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,25388911-5016140,00.html) I'd say the boys will come out firing. I wonder what the banner will read???????

I think they owe Kirky a premiership medallion!

Well, if they do get over the Tigers next week, they should raise Kirk and Bolton C on thier shoulders I believe.

Kanga
27th April 2009, 02:54 PM
Tiggers have a taste.
I'm picking Sydney, but not by much ... provided of course, that they actually turn up to play.

Spot on. Tigers looked the goods against a terribly inept North team......that is probably not saying much!

Sydney by about 10 pts - the long trip back from WA may be a contributing factor to Sydney's legs towards the end of the fourth quarter.

connolly
27th April 2009, 04:01 PM
Sydney by about 10 pts - the long trip back from WA may be a contributing factor to Sydney's legs towards the end of the fourth quarter.

Rooboy sorry to break this to you but the Bloods actually have enough money in the kitty to pony up some plane fares. Your impecunious mob hitchikes over and back do they?

CJK
27th April 2009, 04:14 PM
I lol'ed

Cheer Squad
27th April 2009, 04:16 PM

Apparently not.

AnnieH
27th April 2009, 04:17 PM
Apparently not.

Damn.
Now I'll have no one to boo (other than the maggots of course).

Yuri H
27th April 2009, 04:29 PM
As per this (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,25388911-5016140,00.html) I'd say the boys will come out firing.

Oooh, ouch. That article stung. I must finally have become a Swans tragic; I got a little misty (with frustration) reading that!

And I'm hoping they do come out firing - not just for the team, but 'cause I'm probably taking a gaggle of in-laws to the game ...

connolly
27th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Damn.
Now I'll have no one to boo (other than the maggots of course).

Can i suggest a solarium tanned pretender who our esteemed President no less wanted to impose on us, who is in the last year of a much hyped but disasterous five year premiership plan and who once had a serial scratcher playing on his team. Why not boo him. The Tige supporters will be.

AnnieH
27th April 2009, 05:09 PM
Can i suggest a solarium tanned pretender who our esteemed President no less wanted to impose on us, who is in the last year of a much hyped but disasterous five year premiership plan and who once had a serial scratcher playing on his team. Why not boo him. The Tige supporters will be.

Nah.
Can't kick a horse while it's down (except if your name is Cousins).

We more or less told him what we thought of him when we threatened to hang our CEO for even thinking of hiring him over Roosey.

smasher
27th April 2009, 05:18 PM
Tiggers have a taste.

Cousins is never going to be an "ex-junkie".He is a recovering drug addict and no,he is not playing in the one's this week.(I read that in the media so you can take it or leave it).
Anyway we are going forward...you can't go back and I'm sure the boys will do a good job against Richmond.

573v30
27th April 2009, 08:40 PM
Swans by 43 points, we'll flog the Tiggers at home.

Big Al
27th April 2009, 09:21 PM
Sydney by 33

The embarrassment of letting down Kirky will spark them to a much bigger effort this week.

Big Al
27th April 2009, 09:27 PM
I wonder what the banner will read???????

"Have a @@@@ing go"

Brett Kirk

thejones,s
27th April 2009, 09:53 PM
after Saturdays dismal performance i not overly sure we can re group..sorry i really love my team but in two minds

Big Al
27th April 2009, 10:13 PM
after Saturdays dismal performance i not overly sure we can re group..sorry i really love my team but in two minds

We beat Hawthorn after the St Kilda debacle, so it can be done.

Darren Thomson
27th April 2009, 10:18 PM
The SCG is a vastly different proposition for any team to play on. If we had played Freo here the result may welll have been vastly differnt. Our blokes aren't liking the extra space all that much it would appear, and playing on the smaller SCG seems to offer us an advantage, so I think we'll be hard to beat at home but struggle for wins interstate, can we make the finals with 11 wins? Probably not. But we will win this week.:)

laughingnome
27th April 2009, 10:48 PM
The SCG is a vastly different proposition for any team to play on.

This I never really understand. The SCG, according to the AFL's website, is 149m x 136m. Ethihad is 159.5m x 128.8m*. That's not a great difference, and I can't think it's enough to jar anyone. Home ground advantage is one thing, but can someone point out to me just how different the SCG is to the other grounds?

*These playing dimensions are almost identical to ANZ Stadium, btw.

Mike_B
27th April 2009, 11:15 PM
This I never really understand. The SCG, according to the AFL's website, is 149m x 136m. Ethihad is 159.5m x 128.8m*. That's not a great difference, and I can't think it's enough to jar anyone. Home ground advantage is one thing, but can someone point out to me just how different the SCG is to the other grounds?

The AFL need to update these stats because the SCG is now over 150m thanks to the new stand. The 50m arcs no longer intersect the centre square, so the ground has to be over 150m (unless someone is pulling a shifty).

satchmopugdog
27th April 2009, 11:22 PM
I am at slitting wrists stage..so have predicted a dire loss.In doing so have broken Kanga's evil spell.

But then again I'm not going to this game so we might win...have now cast myself as the superjinx.

Leeroy
27th April 2009, 11:24 PM
It's not just size, it's shape. The SCG has very shallow pockets, like the narrow end of an egg. The MCG, in contrast, is shaped like the wide end of an egg.

Cheer Squad
27th April 2009, 11:27 PM

*These playing dimensions are almost identical to ANZ Stadium, btw.

The surface area isn't that much different to the other grounds. The issue is that the SCG is unusually wide, and much shorter, than every other ground in the country. There's virtually no gap between the centre square and the 50m arcs.

There's a school of thought that this has encouraged us into the habit of playing out wide rather than straight down the middle.

It's one of the reasons why I support the club playing several games a year at Homebush. It has helped diminish "the SCG effect", which, IMO, has had a positive effect on our playing style.

anniswan
27th April 2009, 11:34 PM
I am not a statistitian, but just look at the pattern, loss, win, loss, win, loss, ?????????

We are pretty predactable at the moment.

swantastic
28th April 2009, 01:18 AM
We will get belted if we hand over @@@@ like saturday nite.

Wardy
28th April 2009, 08:04 AM
We will get belted if we hand over @@@@ like saturday nite.

exactly, this game cant be considered a "given". Everyone predicted it would be a walkover against Freo, all over bar the shouting even before they stepped foot onto the ground, and look at the result. Richmond will be buoyed by the win against North last week knowing full well that the Swans will still be a bit shellshocked about the Freo farce. Lets just hope they can re group and have a win. A comfortable thrashing is preferable of course, but we cant get carried away. Swans hopefully by about 23.

Dalai Lama
28th April 2009, 08:38 AM
The toothless tigers winning run will be short lived. Swans will keep the LWLWL.... sequence in order.....

top40
28th April 2009, 11:26 AM
I have a very negative deju vu feeling about this game against Richmond.

We have a situation where the Richmond coach, Terry Wallace has recently been under the pump, with the sack hanging around him like a very bad smell. A fortnight ago, I was worried that he would go after a predicated loss against North Melbourne, and the Swans would be faced with Richmond players fresh, pumped out, and ready to please with a new, caretaker coach. Always a danger game for the opposing team. Surely their Round 5 win against North has giving the Swans a break. Wallace stays, and there is no way a team like Richmond can win two in row. least of all at the SCG.

Well, almost exactly five years ago, the then Richmond coach Danny Frawley was massively under the pump, with huge media speculation about him getting the sack. In the Round 5 game between Richmond against Adelaide, the Tigers were thrashed at Docklands by nearly 13 goals. Frawley suffered the humilation of being spat on by his own team supporters as he left the ground. A week later, Frawley "survived", when Richmond won in a major upset one point win against Hawthorn. So by the time of the next SCG game in Round 7 against the Swans, we Sydney supporters were all relieved. No fresh caretaker coach to worry about. And there was no way that the very poor Richmond could win two straight, particularly a win against the Swans at the SCG. Wrong! Richmond went on to win by 13 points in terrible wet and windy conditions. Richo had a blinder, kicking in such poor conditions 7 of the Tigers' 10 goals, and kicking them from all angles. It represents the only time since 1992 that Sydney has lost a game to the eventual wooden spooners.

PS For the record, in their first eleven seasons, (1982-1992), Sydney had a bad record against eventual wooden spooners, losing games to St Kilda twice (1983 and 1984), the Brisbane Bears twice (1990 and 1992), and Richmond once (1989). But since 1992, as I state above, that 2004 Round 7 SCG lost against Richmond represents the only lost against the evenutal wooden spooners. The 2004 lost was also the only time in Sydney's history that they have been September finalists, but lost still lost a game to the eventual wooden spooners. It was also one of only two times (the other being against St Kilda in Round 13 1984), where the Swans lost a game in Sydney against the eventual wooden spooners.

swantastic
28th April 2009, 12:55 PM
exactly, this game cant be considered a "given". Everyone predicted it would be a walkover against Freo, all over bar the shouting even before they stepped foot onto the ground, and look at the result. Richmond will be buoyed by the win against North last week knowing full well that the Swans will still be a bit shellshocked about the Freo farce. Lets just hope they can re group and have a win. A comfortable thrashing is preferable of course, but we cant get carried away. Swans hopefully by about 23.Ah Wardy you should know we never thrash any 1,but i will take any sort of win out of this game,and it is a danger game for SURE.

Wardy
28th April 2009, 01:07 PM
Ah Wardy you should know we never thrash any 1,but i will take any sort of win out of this game,and it is a danger game for SURE.

Actually in 2006 we did beat the Tiges at the MCG by about 80 odd points which gave the percentage a major boost (that sounds a bit smart arsy doesnt it - sorry about that chief!;) ) but alot has changed in that time. Whilst Richmond are still not crash hot, we are not as crash hot as we used to be either! However, if we win by 1 point, a wins a win. :)

swantastic
28th April 2009, 01:21 PM
Actually in 2006 we did beat the Tiges at the MCG by about 80 odd points which gave the percentage a major boost (that sounds a bit smart arsy doesnt it - sorry about that chief!;) ) but alot has changed in that time. Whilst Richmond are still not crash hot, we are not as crash hot as we used to be either! However, if we win by 1 point, a wins a win. :)Smart arse ha ha ha...but your right a wins a win.

Triple B
28th April 2009, 01:25 PM
Actually in 2006 we did beat the Tiges at the MCG by about 80 odd points which gave the percentage a major boost (that sounds a bit smart arsy doesnt it - sorry about that chief!;) ) but alot has changed in that time. Whilst Richmond are still not crash hot, we are not as crash hot as we used to be either! However, if we win by 1 point, a wins a win. :)

We beat them by 118 pts at the Dome for Willo's 300th.

Kanga
28th April 2009, 01:37 PM
Rooboy sorry to break this to you but the Bloods actually have enough money in the kitty to pony up some plane fares. Your impecunious mob hitchikes over and back do they?

Another constructive comment from Connolly. Thanks :confused:

ShockOfHair
28th April 2009, 01:40 PM
I have a very negative deju vu feeling about this game against Richmond.

I had the tremors last week but my chakra is glowing weakly over the prospect of Richmond at SCG. The friendly crowd will help our young brigade. Swans by 2-3 goals.

CJK
28th April 2009, 02:01 PM
Swans by 4 goals. Hope the rain stays away.

Plugger46
28th April 2009, 02:07 PM
Heading up for this game so hope they have a win for me.

Where's the best pub for a drink before the game?

swantastic
28th April 2009, 02:24 PM

Where's the best pub for a drink before the game?Wat a silly question Plugger any pub with beer is a good 1...lol

Wardy
28th April 2009, 02:33 PM
We beat them by 118 pts at the Dome for Willo's 300th.

At least I got the year right!!!;) :) all I can remember was that there were a few of us watching at at the Club Swans (pre renovations) and it was a major percentage boost. But alot has changed since then-sadly.

Margie
28th April 2009, 02:48 PM
I am not a statistitian, but just look at the pattern, loss, win, loss, win, loss, ?????????

We are pretty predactable at the moment.

And consistent!

Frosty13
28th April 2009, 07:58 PM

Sorry plugger46 i cant see them wining for you. Everytime i have been to sydney they have lost "for me".
Allthough i did make up for the loss with a few too many beers at the cross and ended the night with..... well lets just say a few more notches on the belt :cool:

Nico
28th April 2009, 10:10 PM
We beat Hawthorn after the St Kilda debacle, so it can be done.

How are the sausages and onions lately AL?

Nico
28th April 2009, 10:13 PM
Ah Wardy you should know we never thrash any 1,but i will take any sort of win out of this game,and it is a danger game for SURE.

I remember in the good old days in the South outer, when like many ROWers, South fans would say "this is a danger game", when we got flogged every week.

Nico
28th April 2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry plugger46 i cant see them wining for you. Everytime i have been to sydney they have lost "for me".
Allthough i did make up for the loss with a few too many beers at the cross and ended the night with..... well lets just say a few more notches on the belt :cool:

So was that the game when the Bombers dropped their bundle in the dying moments of the 1996 PF and the Swans bloused them after the siren. Poor bastard.

Notches in your belt! You were only about 9 at the time.

Frosty13
28th April 2009, 10:28 PM
So was that the game when the Bombers dropped their bundle in the dying moments of the 1996 PF and the Swans bloused them after the siren. Poor bastard.

Notches in your belt! You were only about 9 at the time.

You have lost me on this one nico

ScottH
29th April 2009, 07:45 AM
No Cousins, No Cotchin, and possibly no Richo who did not train yesterdat.

Dalai Lama
29th April 2009, 08:49 AM

The Olympic Hotel on Moore Park Road offers game goers a variety of beverages of choice and occassionally allows an incense stick to be lit up out the back?

Primmy
29th April 2009, 04:20 PM
Perhaps we could just view this game as a Leap Year game, and its really Kirky's 200 and B2's 150, just a big off timed.

Swans Rule....sometimes.:cool:

JF_Bay22_SCG
29th April 2009, 04:43 PM
Swans by 43 points, we'll flog the Tiggers at home.

I don't think it will be THAT easy. But I'm expecting our 1995-esque woin-loss-wn season to continue. Richmond this week-WIN, Geelong away next week-loss, West Coast home-WIN. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we win enough home games to get into the finals yet again.

JF

laughingnome
29th April 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think it will be THAT easy. But I'm expecting our 1995-esque woin-loss-wn season to continue. Richmond this week-WIN, Geelong away next week-loss, West Coast home-WIN. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we win enough home games to get into the finals yet again.

JF

With the Saints and cats blitzing all and sundry, 11 wins should see any side into the finals. 10 wins is a possibility even.

ScottH
29th April 2009, 07:55 PM
No Cousins, No Cotchin, and possibly no Richo who did not train yesterdat.

Cousins is now a maybe, but Brown is a definite out.

Big Al
29th April 2009, 09:17 PM
How are the sausages and onions lately AL?

Had far too many them over the off season Nico. I look like I swallowed a volkswagen. Need to go back to my personal trainer (who will be pissed when he sees me)

BigD
30th April 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm hoping for a Swans win.

Unfortunately, I won't be there as I have to work.:(

It's just worked out that for the first half of the season that every weekend the Swannies are at home I'm working.:mad: