PDA

View Full Version : Sat Afternoon game into Sydney...

alison.z
6th June 2009, 03:00 PM
Why is there no football on tv this afternoon?? It makes no sense!!

Mike_B
6th June 2009, 05:19 PM
Why is there no football on tv this afternoon?? It makes no sense!!
Because Ch 10 is showing the Monday game between Collingwood and Melbourne. There's no game on FTA anywhere because of this.

laughingnome
6th June 2009, 05:32 PM
Each of Channel 7 and 10 can show 2 games FTA each. 7 and 10 agreed to split it so that Seven ahas Friday night & Sunday, Ten has Saturday day and night. However Ten can 'swap' their game to Monday or Thursday night when appropriate.

Yes. It blows.

The good news is I've been talking to the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (Conroy's office) and once ONE becomes a national channel (currently not broadcast in some regional centres) then Channel 10 can use it to show games without simulcasting on their 'main' channel. I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.

573v30
6th June 2009, 07:03 PM
Only one Saturday arvo game this round, but the current stipulations suck.

floppinab
10th June 2009, 02:55 PM
I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.

Would be surprised if that happens to that full extent but I could see them possibly taking 7's Fri. night coverage into Sydney & Brisbane given it doesn't seem to provide a lot of value to Foxtel. All the networks seem a little less brand sensitive these days when talking about what is being broadcast on their networks (where you would never hear the words Foxtel uttered on FTA you hear it quite regularly mentioned as the host broadcaster on 7's Sunday coverage now), so maybe this might be possible.
7 have built their brand on FNF as well as Sunday arvo, so they won't give that up nationwide in a hurry, of course depending on what Nine want to do in the picture as well.
Don't forget 7 and 10 get a lot of their outlay from Foxtel, they wouldn't want to devalue that too much either as it's pretty good guaranteed money to offset the bigger spend to the AFL. The entry of the Western Sydney team may also provide some impetus to improved FTA in Sydney.

hammo
15th June 2009, 09:41 PM
I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.

Ten simply don't have the money to become the sole rights holder when you consider the AFL is seeking $1billion next time around.

Despite the vocal minority, the current arrangements work well for all concerned as the costs - both rights and production costs - are split 3 ways.

goswannie14
15th June 2009, 09:50 PM
Ten simply don't have the money to become the sole rights holder when you consider the AFL is seeking $1billion next time around.

Despite the vocal minority, the current arrangements work well for all concerned as the costs - both rights and production costs - are split 3 ways.You really should talk to more football followers. Across the football world it is the majority that don't like the current arrangements. I meet footy followers from right across Australia, and very few are happy with the drop from 5 to 4 games on FTA in the current deal.

ugg
15th June 2009, 10:33 PM
No Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon game again this week.

Mike_B
15th June 2009, 10:54 PM
No Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon game again this week.
Because there are no games in those time slots due to the split round???

goswannie14
15th June 2009, 11:02 PM
Because there are no games in those time slots due to the split round???Yep, the split round officially sucks!

ugg
15th June 2009, 11:05 PM
That's a poor excuse!

Well, I feel cheated anyway. :p

laughingnome
15th June 2009, 11:56 PM

There was no game on Saturday Afternoon, but there were two games on Sunday. A call to channel 7 shows they know nothing; they couldn't tell me why they weren't broadcasting the Hawthorn Brisbane game, on at 1pm in Hobart, without breaking their contract with the AFL. Waiting on a response from the AFL.

goswannie14
16th June 2009, 07:54 AM
Over the split round either channel can only show 2 games, hence Friday night and Saturday night both weekends.

hammo
16th June 2009, 08:04 AM
There was no game on Saturday Afternoon, but there were two games on Sunday. A call to channel 7 shows they know nothing; they couldn't tell me why they weren't broadcasting the Hawthorn Brisbane game, on at 1pm in Hobart, without breaking their contract with the AFL. Waiting on a response from the AFL.

Their contract would stipulate both 7 and 10 show 2 matches per round, which is what is happening in this round.

hammo
16th June 2009, 08:07 AM
You really should talk to more football followers. Across the football world it is the majority that don't like the current arrangements. I meet footy followers from right across Australia, and very few are happy with the drop from 5 to 4 games on FTA in the current deal.
I'd prefer live football. The current arrangements means 7 or 8 live games in Sydney which is an unambiguously good deal.

goswannie14
16th June 2009, 08:48 AM
I'd prefer live football. The current arrangements means 7 or 8 live games in Sydney which is an unambiguously good deal.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Most people, at last count approx 75%, don't have pay TV, so 75% of the population are unhappy with the drop from 5 to 4 games on FTA in this deal compared with the last.

ScottH
16th June 2009, 10:29 AM
After spending the weekend in the Harbour city, I can sympathise with most, who complain about the lack of AFL.
If not for my parents being avid fans, I would have had to wait to get back to Melbourne to find out the results. I got a SMH on Sat, and in the 5 mins I had to read it, couldn't find the results from Fri Night.
Although I did get to see my Dogs, flog the Broncos!!
First game of league I've seen in many years (beside SOO).

hammo
16th June 2009, 10:50 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges. Most people, at last count approx 75%, don't have pay TV, so 75% of the population are unhappy with the drop from 5 to 4 games on FTA in this deal compared with the last.

When was the fifth game - Sunday afternoon? I assume you are in Victoria. Sydney has only ever had 4 on FTA per weekend and Friday / Sat nights are invariably at witching hour.

AnnieH
16th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Don't complain. I've just come back from Cairns.
If it weren't for Foxtel, there would be NO AFL up there.

pinkemu
16th June 2009, 01:22 PM
Don't complain. I've just come back from Cairns.
If it weren't for Foxtel, there would be NO AFL up there.

If there were no "Foxtel" we'd be able to watch all the televised games on FTA :p

laughingnome
16th June 2009, 02:59 PM
Their contract would stipulate both 7 and 10 show 2 matches per round, which is what is happening in this round.

Correct - an email from the AFL saying as much came this morning. I'm still not happy with Channel 7 and their lack of feedback mechanisms, but that's for another thread.