PDA

View Full Version : The effect of Roo's comments on the players

Cheer Squad
12th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Roos has publicly stated that we might start blooding a lot more of the younger brigade based results of the games against Collingwood and Adelaide.

What effect does everyone think this will have on the existing squad? Will it be a kick up the behind? Or will it induce a sense of resignation to the inevitable? I tend to think the latter, based on the way we've performed so far this year.

swans_premiers
12th June 2009, 03:00 PM
so you're saying all the senior players will just stop trying and let their afl career end?

Cheer Squad
12th June 2009, 06:15 PM
so you're saying all the senior players will just stop trying and let their afl career end?

I don't think anyone will stop trying.

I think there will be quite a few players wondering if they're going to hold their place after the latest list review.

I'm wondering about the effect that Roos public comments will have on them, and the overall effect on the team psyche for the rest of the season.

SwansFan1972
12th June 2009, 06:31 PM
I think it will be a rocket up them for the next two games. Hopefully a general lift and four quarters of concentration will be enough to knock over two recent hoodoos! Then the pressure might lift and they can kick on for the second half of the season!

We are so due to beat the pies. Our most recent domination of them lasted 3.5 years (Rnd 22 1995 to Rnd 10 1999 - who can ever forget Plugger's 1300th!) their recent domination of us has now reached three years exactly - since Round 12 2006. Gotta stay ahead of them!

As for the Crows, well, they are smug and self satisfied at the moment - and will be expecting to beat us again. What better time for a mugging, and snatch the first away win of the season!

Go Swans!

DST
12th June 2009, 07:03 PM
Brilliant comments from Roos.

Clearly has laid down the guantlet to the middle band of the playing group, with a now or never approach.

If they don't do the job over the next two weeks then it is over to some of the younger guys.

Roos has also stated that this draft being the last compromised for a while, will probably mean we will go for 5 or 6 selections rather than the usual 3.

DST
:D

liz
12th June 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure that his public comments should have any effect on the players. Surely he's saying nothing that he won't have already said to the "culprits" privately and more pointedly?

ROK Lobster
12th June 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure that his public comments should have any effect on the players. Surely he's saying nothing that he won't have already said to the "culprits" privately and more pointedly?All I was going to say was "0".

ShockOfHair
13th June 2009, 01:30 AM
Remember Roos made similar remarks after we were flogged by the Pies in round 21 last year - something about how it was time to move on some senior players.

We played two or our best games of the year after that the Lions and North. Roos' gauntlet-throwing may have had something to do with it. Or not. God knows what inspires elite athletes.

smasher
13th June 2009, 09:04 AM
As it was written,this is good politics from Roos.
I think the idea of keeping our core of young players that we have blooded,along with some experience for our Rookies will go a long way to the future.Yes,we will lose games but what Roosy is looking for is some good draft picks in this years draft,the last open one.
It would be sad to see some of our vets dropped but if their heart is with the club they shouldn't mind.We have to get all our youngsters up and running and see where they are at THIS YEAR!!

Dalai Lama
13th June 2009, 09:55 AM
a rain of defeats will need a tank?

Cheer Squad
13th June 2009, 10:11 AM
a rain of defeats will need a tank?

:D