PDA

View Full Version : Those bloody frustrating kick-ins

Triple B
21st June 2009, 10:21 PM
Our kick-in strategy last night was typically pedestrian, but the thing that continually infuriated me was how much ground the Pies made with their kick-ins by using quick kick-ins and going to the far side of the ground.

And why did they go to the far side of the ground?

Because every time the ball went thru for a behind, we made 3 interchanges and all our numbers were on the members side of the ground. Did anybody else at the ground notice this? Obviously harder to pick up on TV whats happening on the interchange bench when sides are kicking out and the cameras are following the ball, but from my vantage point near the race, our interchange was a shambles last night. Players were frequently not ready and there was indecision on multiple occasions about who had to actually go on the ground.

And another BIG gripe I had last night at the time, was the few times we were able to stop Collingwood from the quick return, we went man on man perfectly, all except Barry Hall who covered nobody out near the 50, allowing Collingwood on MULTIPLE occasions to kick short to Presti. He would than play-on with no pressure on him and pump it long to the wing-HFF. For the number of times it happened I have to think it was the setup the Swans were happy to go with as surely the runner would have had a word in Hall's ear after the first or second time it happened.

ScottH
22nd June 2009, 07:28 AM
Harry O, had the ball out on the park, almost before it went though a few times, he was that quick.

We tried the old huddle technique a few times, with no great success also.

ShockOfHair
22nd June 2009, 10:31 AM
It's a toss-up between the kick-ins and our kick-it-to-Hall-or-bust inside 50 movement for the most infuriating Swans "tactic".

Well-spotted about the interchange movements, 3B.

premiers05
22nd June 2009, 10:46 AM
I sit in front of the interchange. I didn't count how many there were but there was at least one player coming off every 30 seconds and the person replacing them usually wasn't ready so there was a slight delay. When they did run on they were running backwards trying to get instructions on where to go. It really looked disorganized. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, Keiran Jack was called off after no more than 30 seconds. 30 seconds into the quarter! What the hell point is that. Not only was that ridiculous but the play was in our 50 so he had to run right across the ground to get off and his replacement had to run back, so we were a player short for almost a minute. I understand the players need rests but they spend so much time coming on and off that we play short almost the whole game,

chuckie
22nd June 2009, 11:34 AM
Most of the time our player going to the interchange was due to the fact that he was tagging a Collingwood player. If the Collingwood player would go off so would he. In other words Malthouse was dictating to Roos who they were wanting on the ground at all times. At one stage Jack ran away from the ball to go off the ground, another time Richards had the ball not far from the interchange he looks up, no one to kick it to all of a sudden Kirk sprints from the pack gets 30 metres in the clear I'm thinking he is going to call for the ball but no he is running to the interchange why not just call for the ball and then create a loose man, once he has done that he can then go off.(very dumb). Another thing our forwards have no idea on how to lead for the ball, they continue to lead in a straight line if the ball is not kicked to them on their first lead they try again on the same line and it goes on until he is in the middle of a pack or he is standing next to the kicker that is why we go backwards and side ways or very short so often, the good forwards lead one way then go another then another if need be and when they do get the ball their very rarely more than 30 metres out we are often shooting for goal from around the 50 metre line. We need to have a serious look at our game plan apart from probably Goodes we have no pro active players why don't we attack for a change instead of trying to negate all the time have the opposition players worry about us. There wouldn't be one team that would fear playing us.

hot potato
22nd June 2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe Roosey should 'coach' from the Brewongle or whatever Grandstand, and let Takeover Target have a go at some different strategies..... the boys don't seem to be enjoying it like they used to...

HP

DST
22nd June 2009, 10:32 PM
According to stats we out scored the Pies from kick in's, so how quickly you bring the ball back in does not always equate to goals.

We also out scored the Pies from stoppages as well.

If you want to poke a stick at something it's our turn over's through poor decision making that is the difference at this point in time between 7 & 5 or 5 & 7.

DST
:D

liz
22nd June 2009, 11:17 PM
According to stats we out scored the Pies from kick in's, so how quickly you bring the ball back in does not always equate to goals.

We also out scored the Pies from stoppages as well.

Hey DST

Don't spoil the fun by bringing things as boring as facts into the equation.

DST
22nd June 2009, 11:39 PM
Hey DST

Don't spoil the fun by bringing things as boring as facts into the equation.

I know, but I can't help myself.

DST

Melbournehammer
23rd June 2009, 01:59 PM
I sit in front of the interchange. I didn't count how many there were but there was at least one player coming off every 30 seconds and the person replacing them usually wasn't ready so there was a slight delay. When they did run on they were running backwards trying to get instructions on where to go. It really looked disorganized. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, Keiran Jack was called off after no more than 30 seconds. 30 seconds into the quarter! What the hell point is that. Not only was that ridiculous but the play was in our 50 so he had to run right across the ground to get off and his replacement had to run back, so we were a player short for almost a minute. I understand the players need rests but they spend so much time coming on and off that we play short almost the whole game,

There was one point where the ball was in the middle of the ground where three swans came off at once and three came on - we were left three short around the ball - against a team who couldn't interchange it was a real indictment on the timing of the decisions.

in fact it reminded me of ice hockey the way the players were coming off with the ball so clearly in play.

RedRosie
25th June 2009, 04:49 PM
I light heartedly touched/joked with two players on Tuesday night about what was going on with the interchange bench last Saturday night and they were well aware of the issue and I might say, appeared very embarrassed by it. I feel from their reaction that it was discussed after the game by the coaching staff and/or players. Therefore I am extremely hopefull that it doesnt happen again!