PDA

View Full Version : my favourite O Loughlin moment

matthew
23rd June 2009, 05:22 PM
if i had to pick a favourite moment of Micks career, it would have to be the winning goal against the west coast eagles in the 2006 qualifying final and after he kicked it gave it to the eagles fans, it was and still is priceless. welcome your thoughts

Plugger46
23rd June 2009, 05:41 PM
My top Micky moments:

1. Goal against WC in the '06 QF. How could you go past it? Outside the '05 SF against Geelong, I've never been so pumped in all my life.

2. His left-foot goal to give us some breathing space deep into the last qtr against Richmond at Docklands, in 2000. He was a genuine superstar in that year when we were fairly ordinary.

3. His goal in the the last quarter of a game against Essendon in the last qtr at Docklands in 2001. It should've been the goal that put the Bombers away but sadly Alessio kicked a goal with just seconds left.

4. His debut - 3 last qtr goals against the Crows, as we kicked 10+ goals in the last qtr to blow them away.

5. His goal to beat the Eagles in 1998 (I think) at the SCG after a tap from Lockett.

6. His bag of 6 and clearly BOG to sink the Pies at the 'G in 2000.

7. First game of 2000 at Docklands against St.Kilda. 30+ possessions and 5 goals. The best game of his career in my opinion.

8. Rnd 14 of 2003 at the SCG against West Coast. Played well all day (kicked 6) but kicked a goal late to hold off the storming Eagles.

Probably many more I've missed!

swansrule100
23rd June 2009, 06:00 PM
one minor moment was his effort and attack on the ball early in the 96 prelim 2nd quarter

Triple B
23rd June 2009, 06:06 PM
My top Micky moments:

Probably many more I've missed!

No doubt, there were soooo many.

I particularly liked his cool tap away from the desperately lunging arms of Hudgton and another in the goalsquare when we turned the screws on the Saints in the last qrt '05 PF. Just knocked it into his own arms and cooly slotted the goal. Easily the most enjoyable quarter of footy I've watched because we had time to sit back and enjoy it in the knowledge we were heading for the grannie. Unlike the Geelong SF and GF itself, too nail-biting to actually enjoy the quarter itself, although at the actual siren would be almost impossible to match.

satchmopugdog
23rd June 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't even know which game it was oryear but I can visualise it. Broadcast side of the SCG down the cheer squad end...Micky rolled over and still had control of the ball and his opponent(Brennan of the Lions??????) couldn't believe that the ball came out in that direction. Micky then passed it onto Goodes /Davis/ Hall and it was slottedthroughfor a goal.....Magic.

Captain
23rd June 2009, 06:10 PM
I know this could be counted as a cringe moment - but I loved him at Full Forward in the final quarter of the 2005 GF. He was such a fantastic leading target and marked everything that came his way. His kicking was another story....

Favourite moment was watching him live at Subi for the 06 final.

Bloodmaniac
23rd June 2009, 06:51 PM
There were so many, I haven't got a favourite. Just that great feeling whenever the ball came near Magic. The anticipation that something special would happen, and most times it did.

The same feeling when Warnie was trundling in to bowl.

Anything could happen.

:)

ROK Lobster
23rd June 2009, 07:00 PM
Is the intention of this thread to draw sanecow out of the woodwork?

sWAns63
23rd June 2009, 07:17 PM
When Mickey kicked a goal against West toast at Subiaco and dished it up to their cheer squad he made that tubba crap in his pants.......we went on to win 85 to 84

Triple B
23rd June 2009, 07:24 PM
When Mickey kicked a goal against West toast at Subiaco and dished it up to their cheer squad he made that tubba crap in his pants.......we went on to win 85 to 84

And 3 weeks later went on to lose 85 to 84 :frown :frown :frown

top40
23rd June 2009, 07:24 PM
My top Micky moments:

1. Goal against WC in the '06 QF. How could you go past it? Outside the '05 SF against Geelong, I've never been so pumped in all my life.

Without a doubt number 1.

I was at that game at the other side of the ground, where Micky O and the fat man (being the Eagles Cheer squad member) faced each other. So when I saw the photo in the Perth Sunday Times the next morning at first I thought it was computer generated.

That night at the Irish Club: seeing those very loyal, long suffering WA Swans supporters! Oh what an occasion!

The win represented only the second time that the Eagles had lost a home finals game, and only the second time the Swans had won a finals game outside Victoria and New South Wales.

Legs Akimbo
23rd June 2009, 08:04 PM

Might get there quicker by bumping one of the old MOL threads. Just search for "4 corners".

pinkemu
23rd June 2009, 08:29 PM
The hug he gave me after the 05 Grand final :) what a guy

i'm-uninformed2
23rd June 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't even know which game it was oryear but I can visualise it. Broadcast side of the SCG down the cheer squad end...Micky rolled over and still had control of the ball and his opponent(Brennan of the Lions??????) couldn't believe that the ball came out in that direction. Micky then passed it onto Goodes /Davis/ Hall and it was slottedthroughfor a goal.....Magic.

Gave it off to Schneider actually and it was 03 - and yes, it summed him up

Lucky Knickers
23rd June 2009, 09:48 PM
It's hard to go past the his "hungry jack" moment at Subi.
He could have three defenders, his pants around his ankles and he could still managed to the handball or the kick away for a goal.
His goal assists are as memorable as his goals. So passionate as well.

Jeffers1984
23rd June 2009, 10:02 PM
Went down to Melbourne for the Swans Vs Essendon match in 05. We hadn't beaten the Dons in Melbourne in yonks and in the last quarter Mickey O weaved his magic with a Banana kick from 50 that fell short and looked like it was heading for a point however the ball took a massive off break as it bounced and went through for a timely goal.

That was just some ridiculous skill. "Magic" as you would say.

573v30
23rd June 2009, 10:15 PM
It's very hard to beat that goal against the Eagles in the 2006 Qualifying Final.

Xie Shan
23rd June 2009, 10:16 PM
Game in 2003 against the Eagles at the SCG. Second game I ever went to. Cox was just starting his career in the ruck, the Eagles' midfield was just starting to emerge as one of the best in the league. Swans' bandwagon was in full swing with 30,000+ on a sunny Sunday. He kicked 6 playing at full-forward and I think all of them were crumbed goals or kicked on the run. Freakish talent.

I missed this game in 2005 but his 5-goal effort against an up-and-coming Bulldogs side at the SCG - their first outing against us under Rodney Eade - was also vintage stuff!

And, just to bring up RWO's favourite son (hehe), the bear-hug he gave Nick Davis after THAT goal against Geelong was one of the memorable images of the finals.

31 hard at it
23rd June 2009, 10:23 PM
Very many Magic moments.
I am sure it was Micky who picked up and kicked a goal from the 50 at Docklands in mid 05 against the Saints .... The "they will never play finals football match" The movement was Magic and I turned to my Dad (Watching the Swans since 1934) and said that made sitting here worth the trip !
The 05 Grand Final was a marking showpiece ... not the kicking.

May he have many happy memories, good health and long life.... we are forever in his debt as a key player in a Premiership year.

Xie Shan
23rd June 2009, 10:26 PM
I know this could be counted as a cringe moment - but I loved him at Full Forward in the final quarter of the 2005 GF. He was such a fantastic leading target and marked everything that came his way. His kicking was another story....

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Chick doing a handstand on the mark!

Cheer Squad
23rd June 2009, 10:31 PM
Went down to Melbourne for the Swans Vs Essendon match in 05. We hadn't beaten the Dons in Melbourne in yonks and in the last quarter Mickey O weaved his magic with a Banana kick from 50 that fell short and looked like it was heading for a point however the ball took a massive off break as it bounced and went through for a timely goal.

Yeah, I was there, I had a perfect view of that goal. Brilliant.

Doctor J.
23rd June 2009, 11:03 PM
So many memories its hard to pick one.

His last quarter in the 2005 Prelim, I guess sticks out.

I will miss Micky O. He is one of the few AFL footballers who I can honestly say I go to the footy just to watch them. Have always loved watching him play.

Thanks for the memories Mick. So glad I saw you play. The bonus was you wore a red & white jumper.

goswannie14
23rd June 2009, 11:09 PM
It's hard to go past the his "hungry jack" moment at Subi.
He could have three defenders, his pants around his ankles and he could still managed to the handball or the kick away for a goal.
His goal assists are as memorable as his goals. So passionate as well.

That was just some ridiculous skill. "Magic" as you would say.These are the two that immediately come to mind.

dimelb
23rd June 2009, 11:28 PM
Definitely the Subi rev-up.
But there were so many others. I particularly liked his lightning pounce in the final against the Saints in '05.

Goal Sneak
23rd June 2009, 11:30 PM
My avatar picture. The length of the field sequence which led to the goal was brilliant. I though it was perfect that Mickey O was at the end of it to put it through. Didn't think it could get better but then he just topped it off by scaring the crap out of that Eagles fan who was obviously giving it to him for much of the game.

snajik
23rd June 2009, 11:31 PM
The 98 Qualifying Final at a very wet SCG. The Swans were up by 2 very late in the game. St Kilda pumped the ball forward where Winmar was waiting alone in the goal square. He collected the ball and turned to slot the goal when suddenly Micky O appeared from nowhere to lay a copybook match-saving tackle. The Swans hung on to win.

We also bumped into him, Monty and Benny Mathews at an autograph signing down at Penrith a couple of years back and Mick took a real shine to my then one-year-old and spent a considerable period of time entertaining him. Got some great photos. He really is a lovely fellow not to mention extremely talented. At his peak he was footballing genius and a real joy to watch.

Big Al
23rd June 2009, 11:43 PM
Every time the ball would go to ground and Micky would put on those moves that would make even good defenders look second rate.

Just a wonderful player to watch. I've been absolutely blessed to have watched legends like Kelly, Lockett and Magic play for the Swans.

Magic, you will be missed.

AnnieH
24th June 2009, 11:56 AM
Every moment is a Magic moment.

Absolute favourite was sticking it up the fat budgie criminal supporter. It will forever make me laugh.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mick a few times over the years ... always has time for a hug. You've gotta love that.

Mick, your mum has so much to be proud of. We all do.

BSA5
24th June 2009, 12:58 PM
This isn't a moment (or rather, it is a countless number of moments), but for me, Micky O'Loughlin's essence is captured in one sequence: ball coming to a one-on-one contest between Magic and his opponent, Magic leading out (but not a particularly strong lead, just moving forward). Micky suddenly stops on a 5 cent piece, his opponent goes past him, Micky gives him a further nudge under the ball, and the ball flies over their heads, either into Magic's outstretched arms, or into the turf where it bounces up for Magic to run onto while his opponent is still wondering where the ball went.

Michael O'Loughlin is without a doubt the smartest user of the body I've ever seen. He's far from the strongest key forward in the game, he isn't fantastic overhead (like a Brown, Riewoldt, Anthony or O'Keefe), but his use of the body is absolutely second to none, which is why he can play key forward with a flanker/midfielder's body. The only player I've seen come close to him in this respect is Steve Johnson. Lately, Johnson has developed into a more complete, and overall better, player than Magic, but Micky O still has him, and everybody else, covered in this respect.

Farewell to a champion Swan. Next year will be the first year I've ever watched the Swans without him on our list.

giant
24th June 2009, 03:01 PM

:D

giant
24th June 2009, 03:03 PM

Yes, that's the one I remember most. Maybe it was just me but I never had any doubt that he put a quite deliberate spin on that kick.

Bloods05
24th June 2009, 10:38 PM
A personal one: Mick's overflowing joy on the morning after, 25/9/05 at Albert Park, grabbing hold of the cup and running around among the supporters with a grin from ear to ear. He held up the bus for ages because he just didn't want to stop. He knew how much it meant to us and he didn't want it to stop for us either. One of my most enduring memories of the flag. Thank you Magic, you are the most beautiful mover I've ever seen on a football field.

Darren Thomson
24th June 2009, 10:48 PM
The time he handballed to himself, ran behind the point post, caught his own handball and then kicked the goal across his body. Magic indeed, and many m0lments like that early in his career, in 96 everyone knew there was a special talent there.

BigD
24th June 2009, 11:28 PM
if i had to pick a favourite moment of Micks career, it would have to be the winning goal against the west coast eagles in the 2006 qualifying final and after he kicked it gave it to the eagles fans, it was and still is priceless. welcome your thoughts

Can't go past that one. Absolutely loved it.

Primmy
25th June 2009, 03:18 PM
Strangely the thing I will always remember is counting the players coming on for the warm up, 21 ok that means Mick is playing, he used to not do the warm up in the middle of his painful knee era, and the disappointment of 22 in the warmup because it meant no Mick.

It was a relief when the counting took place and we realised Mick was actually warming up too. It meant his knee was not as bad.

I am going to miss the grin after a particularly good piece of play.

magic.merkin
25th June 2009, 08:05 PM
The story where he took a speccie and was telling everyone how he was so high he had snow on his eyebrows.

RogueSwan
25th June 2009, 09:40 PM
I can't name a specific one but this post is just an excuse to post this link: Kickett shows a young Magic how it's done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNhSCV9xsM) 44 seconds in. MOL kicks one about 1:15 in.

RogueSwan
25th June 2009, 09:45 PM
another good one about 2:40 in. just makes it look so easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNhSCV9xsM
I won't post anymore, but it looks like all the highlights of '96 are there.

ROK Lobster
25th June 2009, 09:46 PM
Over the last dozen years or so there has probably been 1 or 2 a week. The 05 GF probably stands out. If he had kicked straight it would have been a Nick Davis like performance.

MadCanuck
25th June 2009, 10:05 PM
His performance in the 2005 PF has been underestimated. Q4 will always be remembered as Shneider's Q but MOL kicked 2 difficult goals and held defenders to give Shneids time to kick those first 2 Q4 goals.

Lucky Knickers
25th June 2009, 10:25 PM
His performance in the 2005 PF has been underestimated. Q4 will always be remembered as Shneider's Q but MOL kicked 2 difficult goals and held defenders to give Shneids time to kick those first 2 Q4 goals.
Ahh yes....I remember a lovely body press in the goal square as well that lead to a Goodes goal in that game too.
Spoiled for choice really.

Hazcam
25th June 2009, 10:48 PM
I've followed the Swans since about early 1995 so for pretty much the entire time Mick has been a fixture in the squad. There are too many moments to pick from, most have already been mentioned. Many of those which were etched far away in my mind but as soon as I read them in this thread the memories came flooding back.

eg; The 98 Qualifying final vs St Kilda against Winmar in the dying minutes that someone mentioned.

There's always been this amazing flair about him that just leaves me in awe. I guess you can say it really is magic. The little nudges in the marking contest, manoeuvering a bouncing ball at ground level or in a massive pack near goal. 1 on 1 he runs rings around the opponent.

It's been an honour to watch him and I regret not appraching him for a photo and chat when I saw all the big guns in the hotel when we were checking in (hawks game this year). Hall, Mick, Kirky, Goodesy were coming up the escalator...O'Keefe was sitting on a couch at the lobby and Roosy was around. Heck even Jude was in the lift with us when we initially went up to our rooms. I was probably too awestruck to approach Mick and also didn't want to 'bother' any of the boys in the many times I saw them during our stay. Now I really regret not going up to Mick as it's the only time I can recall seeing him in a general situation :(

I'll be going to every home game now just to see him go around for the last few times.

Primmy
26th June 2009, 12:03 AM
My avatar picture. The length of the field sequence which led to the goal was brilliant. I though it was perfect that Mickey O was at the end of it to put it through. Didn't think it could get better but then he just topped it off by scaring the crap out of that Eagles fan who was obviously giving it to him for much of the game.

Once again, it was all in the timing wasn't it. Perfect placement of body not too near just the right distance, perfect face to face, perfect victims, perfectly balanced, perfect revenge. Love it.

GoBloods
27th June 2009, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=snajik;444691]The 98 Qualifying Final at a very wet SCG. The Swans were up by 2 very late in the game. St Kilda pumped the ball forward where Winmar was waiting alone in the goal square. He collected the ball and turned to slot the goal when suddenly Micky O appeared from nowhere to lay a copybook match-saving tackle. The Swans hung on to win.

i am suprised it took that many posts for someone to mention that tackle . i remember sitting there in the rain cheering the swans home and micky o's tackle was a match winner.

also vs collingwood at the mcg in 2000, 6 goal performance . magical

and his first game when he was a skinny little kid vs crows ,11.9 to 0.1 in the last quarter to beat the crows at the scg with mick kicking 3 . amazing that he will retire as all time games record holder

Triple B
27th June 2009, 12:55 PM
11.9 to 0.1 in the last quarter.....

12.3 actually, but correct, a memory for the ages. :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2009, 01:08 PM
I remember his first game like it was yesterday. We were down against the Crows at 3 quarter time then bang. We just exploded. what was it, a 10 goal last quarter or something, right down the Cheer squad end.

That was one of the first days when i thought "Gee this club might just make it after all". The fact that things went up from that day on & Michael O'Laughlin became a regular in the side are in my view by no means a co-incidence.

JF

connolly
27th June 2009, 01:27 PM
Can't remember the game or even the year. Played at the SCG. On the half forward flank on the George Pell side of the ground. Magic had a defender right up his clacker. Hit the ball at full steam and gave literally a quicker than eyesight handpass to Goodsey (i think). So many "what the f...."moments when he touched the ball. Hands that were so clean, so quick. Literally a magician. Had the fastest hands in the history of the game?

GoBloods
28th June 2009, 01:18 AM
12.3 actually, but correct, a memory for the ages. :)

i am not going to get into a slanging match , but before you correct someone please ensure you ACTUALLY know what you are talking about.
It was definitely 11.9 to 0.1,
for reference check this weekends afl record

ugg
28th June 2009, 01:38 AM
i am not going to get into a slanging match , but before you correct someone please ensure you ACTUALLY know what you are talking about.
11.9 to 0.1. Good memory!

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1995/011619950430.html

Triple B
28th June 2009, 10:26 PM

I'm glad you're not a betting man, I'd have lost a fair bit of the folding stuff on that bet.

I thought my memory was clear on it, I was in Noosa on business and missed one of the few games I have missed in many years, forced to watch it on TV. As I said, would have bet good money on the scoreline.

As for the slanging match, you appear the only one interested in it. I was wrong, sorry.

Kanga
29th June 2009, 02:07 PM
Hitting the goal post on the weekend? :p

ScottH
29th June 2009, 02:18 PM

:rolleyes:
:p

connolly
29th June 2009, 03:50 PM

Better than hitting on a team mates missus like your champ skip?

stellation
29th June 2009, 04:05 PM
Way to hurl those gossip stones in defence of Mr Glasshouse.

connolly
29th June 2009, 04:19 PM
Way to hurl those gossip stones in defence of Mr Glasshouse.

Please explain? Defamation alert!

stellation
29th June 2009, 04:20 PM
Please explain? Defamation alert!
Shhhhhhh. :p

Kanga
29th June 2009, 04:45 PM

Connolly - you are a learned figure. Four Corners Program 03/05/2004 strike a bell at all? :eek: