PDA

View Full Version : Schneider in the Midfield???

robbieando
12th September 2003, 10:01 PM
What are everyones thoughts on Schneider next year moving into the midfield to replace the retiring Cressa??? It seems that he is playing more up the field than when he started and was drafted as a rover. I believe in the long term the midfield is where he'll play, but I think next year is still a bit early to move into the midfield full time.

Jeffers1984
12th September 2003, 10:06 PM
Don't forget the forgotten man Benny Fixter! After his stellar season last year, we were all going on about how he could play a major role as a midfielder to replace cressa, and i still believe he can still do it.

But in terms of Schneider, i think we leave him on the HFF/FP for one more year, and give Ablett or Fixter a crack at rover next year.

motorace_182
12th September 2003, 10:17 PM
and give Ablett or Fixter a crack at rover next year.

Ablett still here next year?? Will be surprised.

Achneider in the midfield will happen over time, just let him find his feet in his second year, then continue to ease him in there over the coming seasons till he is the next gun midfielder of the Swannies

swans_premiers
12th September 2003, 10:30 PM
If Ablett got a place in the team last week there's no reason why he won't be here next year.

Charlie
12th September 2003, 11:17 PM
Agreed SP, the fact that he played last week to me signals that he's not that far out of the team, and is still a part of the plans. In fact, I'm finding it hard to find who'll be removed from the list. Cressa is on the vet's list anyway, so he doesn't count. We have 36 regular list players, plus Meiklejohn and James who'll both be promoted. We have to take three draft choices... so I reckon it's McPherson, Warfe and who? Stevens? Buchanan? Nicks?

caj23
12th September 2003, 11:25 PM
I've been thinking about the same thing Charlie.

i doubt meiklejohn will be promoted from the rookie list, but McGlone would be a fair chance.

So Mcpherson and Cresswell look like going. I guess Buchanan is also gone.

Others in trouble would be Warfe, Nicks (subject to contracts), Seymour, Ablett, Stevens.

Who knows who will go from that list

liz
13th September 2003, 12:15 AM
One of the team's strengths is the versatility of so many players. And with the game style they've developed, lots of midfield rotations are critical. We probably have about 18 of our first choice players who are capable of - and usually do - rotate through the midfield. Probably only Barry, Hall, O'Loughlin, B2 and Schauble haven't been this year - and other than maybe Schaubs, the rest are probably capable of it if needed (though obviously it would be a bit of a waste of Hall).

Schneids has been one of those players who has already had his time on the ball and he'll get more time there as he improves his fitness. So it's not a case of midfield or forward. He'll play both roles.

stellation
13th September 2003, 08:16 AM
Schneider = next Paul Williams, so HOPEFULLY it will be another couple of years at least ;)

sharp9
13th September 2003, 11:41 AM
Actually I think you'll find that B2 has gone on the ball a few times this year. He's looked superc in traffic and is the only player on our list who could fulfill the Voss/Buckley type role playing behind the pack and dictating play. Superb user of the ball by hand and foot, strong and tallish. perfect. We just need to get that CHB slot filled by one of Stevens, Powell, Hunt or James (or Lucas, Jacobs or M. Bolton) :)

liz
13th September 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sharp9
Actually I think you'll find that B2 has gone on the ball a few times this year. He's looked superc in traffic and is the only player on our list who could fulfill the Voss/Buckley type

Agreed - B2 has but not often this year. I put him in the category of not more because he's been badly needed down back. I can't see that changing in the short-term (ie next season), unless Hunt and James suddenly come of age.

Not sure about the Voss/Buckley comparison. Two things those two have are confidence (arrogance?) by the bucket load and big, big bodies. Both have supreme confidence in their ability to win a game on their own, and are able to impose themselves all over the ground. I'm not suggesting B2 doesn't believe in his own abilities, but he looks more like the quiet achiever type.

In terms of physical size, he could still beef up but he's almost the same age as Voss was when he won his Brownlow, and even back then he was big.

Sid
13th September 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Schneider = next Paul Williams, so HOPEFULLY it will be another couple of years at least ;)

I totally agree to that. People have mentioned that he is like PK. But i reckon hes is a lot more like Paul Williams. Similar height, great speed and dashing. Not as physical as PK. Can kick out after behinds.