PDA

View Full Version : O'Loughlin 1 Goodes 2

snajik
2nd July 2009, 02:10 PM
This Sunday against the Roos Goodesy will draw level with Cressa as the player to have played the second highest number of games for the Bloods. Next week he will be second highest on his own. I suspect that there would be no other team that would have two Indigenous players sitting one and two. A great honour but kind of odd they they happen to be the only two Indigenous players currently on our list.

I suspect that in a couple of years time they will still be sitting 1 & 2 but in reverse order as Goodesy goes on to become the second player to hit the 300games mark.

Plugger46
2nd July 2009, 02:21 PM
:confused:

I'm pretty sure Rantall, Bayes, Browning and maybe even Wright would be ahead of Goodes?

Sometimes
2nd July 2009, 02:24 PM
Goodes (243 games) actually has a few more to pass before reaching number two on the list, with Mark Bayes (246), Stephen Wright (246), Mark Browning (251), and John Rantall (260), still ahead of him also.

ScottH
2nd July 2009, 02:31 PM
He is 2 behind Creswell (who is 2nd) according to this list

1986-2009.
AFL Tables - Player Statistics - Sydney - (1986-2009) (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/teams/swans.html)

In the ALL time list he is one behind Creswell (who is 6th).
AFL Tables - Player Lists - Sydney (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html)

snajik
2nd July 2009, 02:40 PM
I'll have to blame sleep deprivation for that one. I was looking at a list of (Sydney) Swans as opposed to an all-time list. (Oops) Apologies messrs Wright, Browning, Bayes and turncoat Rantall.

Suffice to say that he should be sitting in position #3 all-time by season's end and pass Rantall by this time next year when I may revisit this post with a greater degree of conviction.

So to clarify O'Loughlin and Goodes will be 1 & 2 for players that have played with the Sydney version exclusively.

ugg
2nd July 2009, 02:54 PM
I'll have to blame sleep deprivation for that one. I was looking at a list of (Sydney) Swans as opposed to an all-time list. (Oops) Apologies messrs Wright, Browning, Bayes and turncoat Rantall.

Suffice to say that he should be sitting in position #3 all-time by season's end and pass Rantall by this time next year when I may revisit this post with a greater degree of conviction.

So to clarify O'Loughlin and Goodes will be 1 & 2 for players that have played with the Sydney version exclusively.
Didn't Bayes play exclusively for the Sydney version?

snajik
2nd July 2009, 03:00 PM
Didn't Bayes exclusively for the Sydney version?

............unless of course you include Mark Bayes.

connolly
2nd July 2009, 03:03 PM

Premature exhaltation! :eek:

snajik
2nd July 2009, 03:29 PM
Time for some shut-eye.

Primmy
2nd July 2009, 03:51 PM
Premature exhaltation! :eek:

LOL

573v30
2nd July 2009, 10:22 PM
Whatever his ranking is, I'm looking forward to the days Goodesy plays his 250th and 300th games for the Swans. :adore

Dalai Lama
5th July 2009, 08:53 AM
When a problem comes around
You must
WHIP IT
& Whip it
GOODES!

snajik
27th August 2009, 02:55 PM
Now that I am no longer using Godwin Grech as my primary source of information I can state with certainty that one A Goodes will on Saturday night move into outright third position in total games played as a Swan. Only Rantall and Micky O above him now. Therefore I am bumping this thread accordingly.

ScottH
27th August 2009, 03:19 PM
And Leo will equal one B Skilton.
And Crouch will surpass one J Cleary.
And Kirk will equal one P Kelly.

snajik
27th August 2009, 04:10 PM
And Kirk will equal one P Kelly.

Or should that read two of our finest fullbacks - A Dunkley and R 'Tilt' Carter?

Be warned Scott. This thread is cursed.

ScottH
27th August 2009, 07:23 PM
Or should that read two of our finest fullbacks - A Dunkley and R 'Tilt' Carter?

Be warned Scott. This thread is cursed.

:confused:

I think you are right about it being cursed,

I'm sure I saw ...

Time for a new monocle, me thinks.

Trickster
27th August 2009, 08:25 PM
When a problem comes around
You must
WHIP IT
& Whip it
GOODES!

Funniest thing I have read for a long time :rofl

hammo
28th August 2009, 12:25 AM
Funniest thing I have read for a long time :rofl

You don't read much?

snajik
8th June 2010, 06:33 PM
I imagine it's time to reactivate this thread because well, now based on more accurate data it's factual, true and correct, and worthy of acknowledgement.

Goodesy quietly slipped into 2nd place on the all time games played list when he ran out against The Dockers (I'm assuming that this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere here). A pretty amazing thing having our two Indigenous stars sititng at 1 and 2 on the list I'd reckon.

Meanwhile the resilient and often unheralded Jude Bolton will more than likely find himself sitting in 4th place by season's end, and the living legend Brett Kirk will finish his career 9th on the all time list, having overtaken both The Chimp and Kel by the time we reach the finals.

ROK Lobster
8th June 2010, 07:16 PM
It's amazing, because I'm sure that if they did not change the consititution when they did, neither of these guys would count.

satchmopugdog
8th June 2010, 07:19 PM
It's amazing, because I'm sure that if they did not change the consititution when they did, neither of these guys would count.

But they would still have silky hair

goswannie14
8th June 2010, 07:35 PM
But they would still have silky hair...and skills!

dimelb
8th June 2010, 09:06 PM
but they would still have silky hair
rotflmao!

top40
9th June 2010, 10:46 AM
It will not be long however until Adam Goodes is parked behind Micky O at number 2 in terms of the number of games.

Brings me into focus for a campaign I have in mind with the SCG Trust to change the name of the "Brewongle Stand' to the "Goodes-O'Loughlin Stand". I really intend to push hard, around the time that Adam Goodes is obviouisly going to retire. I hope some of you Red and White contributors will support me.

sharp9
9th June 2010, 11:32 AM
Jude will be 4th all time if he plays the rest of the Home and Away....amzing really, still seems like a kid to me!

BigD
9th June 2010, 12:31 PM
It will not be long however until Adam Goodes is parked behind Micky O at number 2 in terms of the number of games.

Brings me into focus for a campaign I have in mind with the SCG Trust to change the name of the "Brewongle Stand' to the "Goodes-O'Loughlin Stand". I really intend to push hard, around the time that Adam Goodes is obviouisly going to retire. I hope some of you Red and White contributors will support me.

I'm with you on that one.

Big Al
9th June 2010, 01:50 PM

Not sure about this to be honest. Magic is one of my favourite players ever but it would seem strange that these 2 get a stand named after them and Kel (the greatest Sydney Swan of all) only has a tunnel.

top40
9th June 2010, 02:20 PM
Not sure about this to be honest. Magic is one of my favourite players ever but it would seem strange that these 2 get a stand named after them and Kel (the greatest Sydney Swan of all) only has a tunnel.

There is a strong Aboriginal factor here. The name "Brewongle" simply means "meeting place", nothing else. Now name me an Aboriginal cricketer, Rugby player, League player, who has regularly graced the SCG with the distinction of Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes? Mark Ella from Rugby Union would be the only one that comes close.

There could be an endless debate as to who the greatest Sydney Swan has been. Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett would both be very strong contenders. But who's to say that, say, Reg Gasiner or Graeme Langlands weren't greater Rugby League players compared with Clive Churchill. What about great cricketers such as Charlie Maccartney, Alan Davidson or Steve Waugh? Why have they not got a stand named after him when compared with MA Nobel?

For me it is the combination of Goodes and O'Loughlin being in the mix as truely great players, AND being indigenious, that makes them ideal candidates to replace the generic and boring name, the "Brewongle stand". Goodes won two Browlows, a Rising Star, several All Australian selections, and a Premiership medal. Micky O won two All Australian selections, a Premiership medal, and was the first player in the club's 135 year history to play 300 senior games. And for a club to have two Indigenous players at numbers 1 and 2 in terms of the number of games played is simply extraordinary.

ROK Lobster
9th June 2010, 02:45 PM
There is a strong Aboriginal factor here. The name "Brewongle" simply means "meeting place", nothing else. Now name me an Aboriginal cricketer, Rugby player, League player, who has regularly graced the SCG with the distinction of Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes? Mark Ella from Rugby Union would be the only one that comes close.

There could be an endless debate as to who the greatest Sydney Swan has been. Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett would both be very strong contenders. But who's to say that, say, Reg Gasiner or Graeme Langlands weren't greater Rugby League players compared with Clive Churchill. What about great cricketers such as Charlie Maccartney, Alan Davidson or Steve Waugh? Why have they not got a stand named after him when compared with MA Nobel?

For me it is the combination of Goodes and O'Loughlin being in the mix as truely great players, AND being indigenious, that makes them ideal candidates to replace the generic and boring name, the "Brewongle stand". Goodes won two Browlows, a Rising Star, several All Australian selections, and a Premiership medal. Micky O won two All Australian selections, a Premiership medal, and was the first player in the club's 135 year history to play 300 senior games. And for a club to have two Indigenous players at numbers 1 and 2 in terms of the number of games played is simply extraordinary.Neither of them are New South Welshmen. It would therefore be a disgrace to name a stand after them at the SCG. End of story.

KirkysSocks
9th June 2010, 02:49 PM

As years go by and better players who are more vocal pop up my thoughts on Paul Kelly as the greatest swan has diminished. Champion player and lead by example most times i don't really think i can put him higher than some of the players who were the catalyst for the 2005 flag, including Brett kirk. But thats my opinion and one that i am sure the majority of RWO experts will disagree with.

top40
9th June 2010, 03:25 PM
Neither of them are New South Welshmen. It would therefore be a disgrace to name a stand after them at the SCG. End of story.

Quote again: "a disgrace"

What an embellishment.

1. Don Bradman has a stand named after him. He actuallly lived in Sydney for only 5 years out of his long life of 92 years. And he spent his last 68 years living in Adelaide.

2. Paul Roos grew up in Melbourne and didn't come to live in Sydney until he was 31. He has a sculpture honouring his SYDNEY Swans achievements.

3. Fred Spofforth, who also has a sculpture honouring his SCG achievements, spent his early childhood in Hokianga, New Zealand.

4. Clive Churchill was hardly a Sydney sider. He was born and grew up in Newcastle, and played some of his Rugby League in Brisbane.

Big Al
9th June 2010, 03:44 PM

For me it is the combination of Goodes and O'Loughlin being in the mix as truely great players, AND being indigenious, that makes them ideal candidates to replace the generic and boring name, the "Brewongle stand". Goodes won two Browlows, a Rising Star, several All Australian selections, and a Premiership medal. Micky O won two All Australian selections, a Premiership medal, and was the first player in the club's 135 year history to play 300 senior games. And for a club to have two Indigenous players at numbers 1 and 2 in terms of the number of games played is simply extraordinary.

I have a problem with anything being awarded on the basis of race. If they are to be given the honour based on their contribution to the Sydney Swans then no problem but their race should not have anything to do with it.

KirkysSocks
9th June 2010, 03:54 PM

What an embellishment.

1. Don Bradman has a stand named after him. He actuallly lived in Sydney for only 5 years out of his long life of 92 years. And he spent his last 68 years living in Adelaide.

2. Paul Roos grew up in Melbourne and didn't come to live in Sydney until he was 31. He has a sculpture honouring his SYDNEY Swans achievements.

3. Fred Spofforth, who also has a sculpture honouring his SCG achievements, spent his early childhood in Hokianga, New Zealand.

4. Clive Churchill was hardly a Sydney sider. He was born and grew up in Newcastle, and played some of his Rugby League in Brisbane.

Don Bradman is a joke of a human being. Selfish self centred individual who didn't allow anyone except himself to earn marketing $$$ but hey he could hit a red ball better than the next man and that makes him a legend.

laughingnome
9th June 2010, 03:58 PM

What an embellishment.

Not to disagree with your sentiment but you're argueing against the claim of New South Welshman. Both Bradman (Bowral) and Churchill (Newcastle) are from this state and represented NSW in their respective sports.

ROK Lobster
9th June 2010, 04:06 PM
Not to disagree with your sentiment but you're argueing against the claim of New South Welshman. Both Bradman (Bowral) and Churchill (Newcastle) are from this state and represented NSW in their respective sports.And the Kiwi and the Victorian (not sure which is worse) don't have stands, only silly statues.

top40
9th June 2010, 04:25 PM
And the Kiwi and the Victorian (not sure which is worse) don't have stands, only silly statues.

With that sort of logic:

-MA Noble must have been a greater cricketer than Richie Benaud, Stan McCabe and Fred Spoffoth.
-Nicholas Sherhadie (the current First Gentlemen of NSW) must have been a greater Rugby player than Trevor Allen.

And where does it say that a grandstand, (but not a scupture I add) MUST be named after a person whose origin is the State where the ground is located?

ROK Lobster
9th June 2010, 05:29 PM
With that sort of logic:

-MA Noble must have been a greater cricketer than Richie Benaud, Stan McCabe and Fred Spoffoth.
-Nicholas Sherhadie (the current First Gentlemen of NSW) must have been a greater Rugby player than Trevor Allen.

And where does it say that a grandstand, (but not a scupture I add) MUST be named after a person whose origin is the State where the ground is located?No, with that sort of logic MA Noble should not have a stand named after him if he was Queenslander.

Nowhere does it say that a stand must be named after a person whose origin is in the State/Territory of the ground. None of Manuka Oval's stands are named after Territorirans (don't get me started on that one!). However, it would be a disgrace to name a stand at the SCG after a Victorian and a South Australian. I would tear up my SCG membership and I am certain that many other loyal SCG patrons would do the same.

satchmopugdog
9th June 2010, 05:47 PM
You haven't got a scg membership ...get that tongue out of your cheek.

BSA5
9th June 2010, 05:58 PM
Arguing that Goodes and O'Loughlin shouldn't have a stand named after them because of the state they were born in is just as irrelevant as arguing they SHOULD because of their race. Honestly, why on earth does it make a difference? It would be honouring them as Swans players, not NSWmen FFS! They have both played their entire careers with the SCG as their home, they have starred in matches at the ground too many times to mention, and they will have played more games for the Swans, and more games at the SCG, than any other player in history.

Ridiculous. As a born-and-bred Sydneysider and NSWman who has in the past parochially bagged anything south of the border (aside, of course, from footy) and holds an SCG membership, I am 100% for the Brewongle stand being renamed the "Goodes-O'Loughlin" stand. A person's state of origin has nothing to do with it. They are Swans players, pure and simple.

The fact that "Brewongle" has indigenous connotations, and could do with having a bit more depth to the meaning, is a nice coincidence and makes it the perfect stand to honour Goodes and O'Loughlin as it would maintain those indigenous connotations, but it's not the reason for honouring the pair in the first place.

An interesting stat for anybody who has the time and means to look it up, but I'd like to know if any two players in any football code have ever played as many games together at the SCG as Goodes and O'Loughlin have.

top40
9th June 2010, 06:04 PM
No, with that sort of logic MA Noble should not have a stand named after him if he was Queenslander.

Nowhere does it say that a stand must be named after a person whose origin is in the State/Territory of the ground. None of Manuka Oval's stands are named after Territorirans (don't get me started on that one!). However, it would be a disgrace to name a stand at the SCG after a Victorian and a South Australian. I would tear up my SCG membership and I am certain that many other loyal SCG patrons would do the same.

And back to this thread, the two players who I would like to have a Stand named after them, (Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes, ROK Lobster, I'm not sure if you have heard of them), have happened to have lived virtually their respective entirely adults lives in the city of Sydney. Just because they happened for no choice of their own to have spend their childhoods in different states, doesn't undermine their incredible contributions to the Australian Rules Football in the state of New South Wales, in the city of Sydney, and to the SCG itself.

It is a bit like saying that we shouldn't honour a great Australian simply because he or she happened to have been born and spend their childhood in another country. If you look at the 119 Australia's Treasures (living and deceased), as nominated by the National Trust of Australia, no less than 13 were not born in Australia, and several were not even raised as children in Australia:

- Rev Bill Crewes
-Russell Crowe
-Margaret Fulton
-Jennie George
-Nicole Kidman
--Gai Waterhouse
-Robyn Williams
-Betty Archdale
-Don Dunstan
-Elizabeth Jolly
-John Farmham
-Sir Gustav Nossal
-Dr John Yu

The latter three were also named Australian of the Year.

Do we ignore the people's achievements simply because they happened to have been born or grew up somewhere else?

Triple B
9th June 2010, 06:40 PM
When they pulled the Brewongle stand down in 81/82 and built the new one, they obviously had the chance to change the name, but elected not to.

They have since pulled down the Sheridan Stand and built the Churchill, pulled down the Bob Stand and built the Pat Hills and then changed that to the O'Reilly.

Methinks they have some attachment to the name 'Brewongle' and I have this gut feeling that neither Goodes nor O'Loughlin would be even happy about getting THAT particular stand named in their honour at the expense of a traditional indigenous name.

Perhaps when the Noble/Bradman is redeveloped there maybe a chance for a Swans player to be honoured, which would be fitting given the Noble has been the home of many, many Swans members since the move in '82.

Matty10
9th June 2010, 06:48 PM
Methinks they have some attachment to the name 'Brewongle' and I have this gut feeling that neither Goodes nor O'Loughlin would be even happy about getting THAT particular stand named in their honour at the expense of a traditional indigenous name.

Brewongle is a great name for a stand if it does mean 'meeting place' as suggested in this thread. The more Indigenous names we keep the better - although I would not have a problem with the Goodes-O'Loughlin Brewongle Stand (especially considering they 'met' quite regularly at the SCG over a large number of years).

laughingnome
9th June 2010, 06:50 PM
When they pulled the Brewongle stand down in 81/82 and built the new one, they obviously had the chance to change the name, but elected not to.

They have since pulled down the Sheridan Stand and built the Churchill, pulled down the Bob Stand and built the Pat Hills and then changed that to the O'Reilly.

Don't forget the Doug Walters! He got down-(or up- I guess)graded to a bar :p

top40
9th June 2010, 07:58 PM

Perhaps when the Noble/Bradman is redeveloped there maybe a chance for a Swans player to be honoured, which would be fitting given the Noble has been the home of many, many Swans members since the move in '82.

I've done a bit of reserch on this topic. Back in the 30's the old Brewongle Stand had no name such. There was however a cafe bar commonly called the "Brewongle bar" By the 1950's the grandstand had gained the title, unofficially, as the "Brewongle Stand". The official name of the "Brewongle Stand" emerged sometime later, probably in the 1960's. When the new modern Grand Stand emerged in the 1980's, (an age where finally the original Australians were being appropriately acknowledged), there was simply no indigenous name (ie is sportsman or politician) that would be relevant to the SCG. So the Brewongle Stand as it was known remained. That said, I am quite sure that there is no cultural attachment to the name by any Aborginal community. (If I am wrong about this, I would really like to know).

My big ticket point here that now we have, not one, but two truely great indigenous sportmen that have emerged since the early 1980's, with very strong connections to the SCG. No other SCG sportpersons, with the exception of Rugby with Mark Ella-(although Raa Raa no longer plays at the Cricket Ground), can boast the SCG achievements of Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes.

It is also time that the SCG Trust recognises nearly three decades of Australian Rules Football at the ground.

What a great opportunity this presents with a recognition of both AFL and two indigenous sportsmen who have shined so many times on the SCG.

Damien
9th June 2010, 08:10 PM
It is also time that the SCG Trust recognises nearly three decades of Australian Rules Football at the ground.

What a great opportunity this presents with a recognition of both AFL and two indigenous sportsmen who have shined so many times on the SCG.

Yep, plus it has been 22 years since Rugby League moved away to their purpose built stadium next dooor, AFL is a huge reason why the SCG can even put their hand up for funding of upgrades etc. Without the Swans, they basically have a Test, a few one dayers and a lot of loss making NSW Blues games. Hope GWS know how damn lucky they are to have a ground not run by the Trust!

My preference would be a Paul Kelly stand though, but I wont be holding my breath. (We need to find a billionaire who is willing to fund a roofed stadium in the East or North Shore and piss these jokers off!)

At least our offices are in such a great position next to the main gates, nice little club ad everytime the cricket season rolls around!

ROK Lobster
9th June 2010, 09:51 PM
And back to this thread, the two players who I would like to have a Stand named after them, (Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes, ROK Lobster, I'm not sure if you have heard of them), have happened to have lived virtually their respective entirely adults lives in the city of Sydney. Just because they happened for no choice of their own to have spend their childhoods in different states, doesn't undermine their incredible contributions to the Australian Rules Football in the state of New South Wales, in the city of Sydney, and to the SCG itself.

It is a bit like saying that we shouldn't honour a great Australian simply because he or she happened to have been born and spend their childhood in another country. If you look at the 119 Australia's Treasures (living and deceased), as nominated by the National Trust of Australia, no less than 13 were not born in Australia, and several were not even raised as children in Australia:

- Rev Bill Crewes
-Russell Crowe
-Margaret Fulton
-Jennie George
-Nicole Kidman
--Gai Waterhouse
-Robyn Williams
-Betty Archdale
-Don Dunstan
-Elizabeth Jolly
-John Farmham
-Sir Gustav Nossal
-Dr John Yu

The latter three were also named Australian of the Year.

Do we ignore the people's achievements simply because they happened to have been born or grew up somewhere else?

And not one of those clowns has a stand at the SCG named after them. Point proved.

top40
10th June 2010, 09:02 AM
And not one of those clowns has a stand at the SCG named after them. Point proved.

You are quite correct.

Point proved that:

1. Having a Grandstand named after appears to be the ULTIMINATE recognition of honour and achievement, greater than being a National Treasurer or Australian of the Year, or anything else for that matter.

2. But, in bequesting such a ultimate recognition, (ie having a Grandstand named after you), we must not lose sight of the fact that it is still pre-1901. That is, what is important is not that you are an Australian, but you are, where applicable, a New South Welshman.

3. And, in being a New South Welshman, what is important is not that you have choosen to spend your adult life in the state and make extraordinary contributions to the community to that state, no no no: it's the state you were born and/or spend your childhood that is the decisive factor.

Congratuation to you ROK Lobster in winning this debate.

ROK Lobster
10th June 2010, 09:26 AM
You are quite correct.

Point proved that:

1. Having a Grandstand named after appears to be the ULTIMINATE recognition of honour and achievement, greater than being a National Treasurer or Australian of the Year, or anything else for that matter.

2. But, in bequesting such a ultimate recognition, (ie having a Grandstand named after you), we must not lose sight of the fact that it is still pre-1901. That is, what is important is not that you are an Australian, but you are, where applicable, a New South Welshman.

3. And, in being a New South Welshman, what is important is not that you have choosen to spend your adult life in the state and make extraordinary contributions to the community to that state, no no no: it's the state you were born and/or spend your childhood that is the decisive factor.

Congratuation to you ROK Lobster in winning this debate.Now that I pause and give it further consideration I can see your point. I think that the next SCG grandstand should be called the Elizabeth Jolly stand. I really loved The Well and think the the departed old dear should be recognised at the home ground of cricket in NSW... That would be the ULTIMINATE (is that really big or really small?) recognition. It would be tops to have a Patrick White pie stand too (provided they only stocked Villas and could provide sausage rolls).

stellation
10th June 2010, 09:36 AM
Now that I pause and give it further consideration I can see your point. I think that the next SCG grandstand should be called the Elizabeth Jolly stand. I really loved The Well and think the the departed old dear should be recognised at the home ground of cricket in NSW... That would be the ULTIMINATE (is that really big or really small?) recognition. It would be tops to have a Patrick White pie stand too (provided they only stocked Villas and could provide sausage rolls).

They'll name a grandstand after Elizabeth Jolly before they bother stocking up on sausage rolls, the bastards!

SwansFan1972
10th June 2010, 11:21 AM
They'll name a grandstand after Elizabeth Jolly before they bother stocking up on sausage rolls, the bastards!

... or sacking Villis as principal pie supplier ... they would have to be the worst pies going around. And they shouldn't have a stand named after them either, being South Australian too ... ;)

Primmy
10th June 2010, 11:32 AM
Why not just call it The Red Zone, and be done with it. That way I would be happy......and thats all that counts.

top40
10th June 2010, 01:16 PM
Now that I pause and give it further consideration I can see your point. I think that the next SCG grandstand should be called the Elizabeth Jolly stand. I really loved The Well and think the the departed old dear should be recognised at the home ground of cricket in NSW... That would be the ULTIMINATE (is that really big or really small?) recognition. It would be tops to have a Patrick White pie stand too (provided they only stocked Villas and could provide sausage rolls).

Here, here!

Or maybe we could call it the "Elizabeth and Darren Jolly Stand", combining two great talents.

The "Patrick White pie Stand" could stand at Centential Park, where the Swans do their summer runs.

ROK Lobster
10th June 2010, 01:42 PM
Here, here!

Or maybe we could call it the "Elizabeth and Darren Jolly Stand", combining two great talents.

The "Patrick White pie Stand" could stand at Centential Park, where the Swans do their summer runs.Darren Jolly is not from New South Wales (and didn't even seem to like it).

top40
10th June 2010, 01:49 PM
Darren Jolly is not from New South Wales (and didn't even seem to like it).

Actually ROK Lobster, Elizabeth Jolly was born in England and lived for most of her life in Western Australia, she never lived in New South Wales. Perhaps her Grandstand could go to Birmingham, UK because that's where she was born. All those 1000's of Warwickshire based Swans fans from the old Dart would celebrate big time!

ROK Lobster
10th June 2010, 02:04 PM
Actually ROK Lobster, Elizabeth Jolly was born in England and lived for most of her life in Western Australia, she never lived in New South Wales. Perhaps her Grandstand could go to Birmingham, UK because that's where she was born. All those 1000's of Warwickshire based Swans fans from the old Dart would celebrate big time!So now you don't want to recognise non-NSW born people at the SCG. Make up your mind!

ugg
10th June 2010, 02:06 PM
Elizabeth JollEy.

I do like the idea of the combination of sport and arts. So we should go ahead with the Jesse/Patrick White coffee cart, the Stefan/Peter Carey toilet block and the Brad/Alan Seymour behind post.

top40
10th June 2010, 02:11 PM
So now you don't want to recognise non-NSW born people at the SCG. Make up your mind!

I'm just going with the flow mate.

royboy42
10th June 2010, 02:19 PM
Here, here!

The "Patrick White pie Stand" could stand at Centential Park, where the Swans do their summer runs.

Well, Patrick White did live in the shadow of the SCG ..within 200 metres..I bet the old curmudgeon never darkened its doors though. Still, a pie stand would let us dip our lids to the great Aussie novelist and Nobel Prize winner.

Matty10
10th June 2010, 04:34 PM
... or sacking Villis as principal pie supplier ... they would have to be the worst pies going around. And they shouldn't have a stand named after them either, being South Australian too ... ;)

I love Vili's pies - I am getting hungry now just thinking about eating one!

Big Al
10th June 2010, 04:44 PM
I love Vili's pies - I am getting hungry now just thinking about eating one!

They're pretty good I agree. Can't remember when it was or even if it was the SCG or at a League ground but I used to love the Big Ben pies (you know the square ones). A nice hot one of those babies on a cold night was just the ticket.

Triple B
10th June 2010, 04:49 PM
They're pretty good I agree. Can't remember when it was or even if it was the SCG or at a League ground but I used to love the Big Ben pies (you know the square ones). A nice hot one of those babies on a cold night was just the ticket.

Yeah Al, I was a fan of those square Big Bens's as well.

Shouldn't these posts be in the Swans v Pies thread??

Big Al
10th June 2010, 04:51 PM

:rofl

Matty10
10th June 2010, 04:52 PM

I used to like those square ones that had the yellow pastry (I assume it was a some sort of corn base), but I cannot remember the brand. One of the best parts of suburban (or country football) for me as a kid was going to each of the grounds and trying out their selection of pies and pasties (no two grounds were ever the same).

satchmopugdog
10th June 2010, 05:27 PM
One of the best parts of suburban (or country football) for me as a kid was going to each of the grounds and trying out their selection of pies and pasties (no two grounds were ever the same).

I used to be married to an umpire and I followed him all around the state so am an expert on all the areas of Tasmania...Scottsdale had the best Pasties, Smithton had the best saveloys, Campbell Town had the best Pies, Avoca had the best Kangaroo patties and Ulverstone has the best oak tree for drinking beer under. The urban grounds just don't cut it against the country grounds.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2010, 05:35 PM

For sure, if it's pies we don't like! :)

I used to like those square ones that had the yellow pastry (I assume it was a some sort of corn base), but I cannot remember the brand. One of the best parts of suburban (or country football) for me as a kid was going to each of the grounds and trying out their selection of pies and pasties (no two grounds were ever the same).

Square ones much better (Big Ben's most likely - and available at supermarkets in their modernised form, which of course is not a patch on the old days)!

Villi's are soggy floppy oily flaking maggot bags ... and the meat doesn't even taste right, too peppery! :)

All completely subjective of course, and for those who like eating em, lucky you!

As far as footy fare goes, the pizzas on sale at the top of the stairs at the randwick end of the O'Reilly are pretty good ... not great compared to your local italian place, but against a villi's pie, or a four hour hotdog (how long the taste stays in the mouth) they stack up pretty well! :)

Matty10
10th June 2010, 05:58 PM
I used to be married to an umpire and I followed him all around the state so am an expert on all the areas of Tasmania...Scottsdale had the best Pasties, Smithton had the best saveloys, Campbell Town had the best Pies, Avoca had the best Kangaroo patties and Ulverstone has the best oak tree for drinking beer under. The urban grounds just don't cut it against the country grounds.

I love it - more reasons why I should take a trip down to Tassie!

Villi's are soggy floppy oily flaking maggot bags ... and the meat doesn't even taste right, too peppery! :)

I understand what you are saying, but in my experience they are only like that when some twit behind the counter does not know how to operate a pie warmer correctly (or they ran out too quick, so some nuff-nuff put them in the microwave to heat them up).

But, hey, as you said it's all subjective.

ROK Lobster
10th June 2010, 06:02 PM
Patrick White knew how to heat up a pie, there is no doubting that. Probably because he was a NSWelshman. Betty Jolley's pies were crap.

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 06:20 PM
But can Jesse White heat up a Pie? We need him too in a couple of weeks.Eat one as well would help even up the odds.

royboy42
10th June 2010, 06:38 PM
If we can turn this thread into pies and nobel prize winners, I can mention chiko rolls.
One sad day at the old Footscray footy ground in 1953..middle of winter..freezing and bucketing rain..ground a mudheap as only that ground could be.
Roys kicked one solitary goal for the day (Baron Ruthven off the ground in goal square..I can see it now) rode my bike from fitzroy ..AND had my first chiko roll, called cabbage rolls in those days..and threw it up on the bike ride home in the rain!!!
Never had one in my mouth since.

Matty10
10th June 2010, 06:48 PM
If we can turn this thread into pies and nobel prize winners, I can mention chiko rolls.
One sad day at the old Footscray footy ground in 1953..middle of winter..freezing and bucketing rain..ground a mudheap as only that ground could be.
Roys kicked one solitary goal for the day (Baron Ruthven off the ground in goal square..I can see it now) rode my bike from fitzroy ..AND had my first chiko roll, called cabbage rolls in those days..and threw it up on the bike ride home in the rain!!!
Never had one in my mouth since.

That is hilarious.

So I can take that as 1 'No' vote for the new Chiko Roll Stand at the SCG?

top40
10th June 2010, 07:10 PM
Patrick White knew how to heat up a pie, there is no doubting that. Probably because he was a NSWelshman. Betty Jolley's pies were crap.

Actually White was born in London. Someone should return his Nobel Prize for Literature, the guy was a fraud, as he wasn't a true blue New South Welshman!

ROK Lobster
10th June 2010, 10:12 PM
Actually White was born in London. Someone should return his Nobel Prize for Literature, the guy was a fraud, as he wasn't a true blue New South Welshman!

But his folks were only there on holidays. He was back in Sydney before he was 12 months old. You can't say that for Jolley, Goodes or Micky O.

Primmy
11th June 2010, 08:59 AM
Sheeze. The amount of trivia crap that is cluttering up your minds is breathtaking!!!!

So is the vision of chiko roll covered handlebars.

Big Al
11th June 2010, 09:17 AM
Sheeze. The amount of trivia crap that is cluttering up your minds is breathtaking!!!!

So is the vision of chiko roll covered handlebars.

This is one of the most entertaining threads ever. We've covered everything from the meaning of brewongle to pies and thanks to Royboy a visual of a Chiko Roll in reverse that won't soon be erased from our minds.

AnnieH
11th June 2010, 02:25 PM
A microwaved meat pie is microwaved crap.

Bring back the pie warmers ... and don't wrap my pie in pastic!!!

top40
11th June 2010, 03:38 PM
But his folks were only there on holidays. He was back in Sydney before he was 12 months old. You can't say that for Jolley, Goodes or Micky O.

Perhaps you should try to do a bit more research mate. By the time he was aged of 34, Patrick White had only ever lived in Australia for just 11 years.

Now let's get this right, ROK Lobster:

-Micky O and Adam Goodes are both illegible to have a Grandstand named after them in New South Wales:
-not because of where they were both born outside NSW. That doesn't matter, look at the Patrick White example, and
-not because they both commenced permanently and thus far continuously living in Sydney since they were both still teenagers, (Micky O was only 17, Goodes was 18), and
-not because of any contributions they made have made as Sydney Swans footballers, on and off the field within the state of New South Wales, particularly noting their feats at the SCG itself.

No, the SCG shouldn't name a Grandstand after them because they spent their CHILDHOODS outside the state of New South Wales.

Ahh......the penny's dropped, I get you now.

Xie Shan
12th June 2010, 07:44 PM
*picks self up from the floor from ROFLMAO-ing*

You guys crack me up!! That was one of the funniest threads on RWO for quite some time and I think only just behind the one about the "free hit" rule!

Not sure about naming a stand after Darren Jolly though - perhaps the maternity ward at the Prince of Wales Hospital down the road would be more appropriate? ;)

satchmopugdog
12th June 2010, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Xie Shan;491190

Not sure about naming a stand after Darren Jolly though - perhaps the maternity ward at the Prince of Wales Hospital down the road would be more appropriate? ;)[/QUOTE]

Excellent contribution as well Xie

SwansFan1972
14th June 2010, 10:24 PM
I understand what you are saying, but in my experience they are only like that when some twit behind the counter does not know how to operate a pie warmer correctly (or they ran out too quick, so some nuff-nuff put them in the microwave to heat them up).

But, hey, as you said it's all subjective.

Since you won't get pies any other way at the footy, case closed! ;)

As for naming the stand, maybe with the SCG trust involved and Pura needing a new publicity outlet (since the Pura Cup has now reverted to being the Sheffield Shield) people will one day be sitting in the Pura 98.2% Fat Free Once Was Milk Stand