PDA

View Full Version : This is more nerve wrecking than skydiving

juliec
13th September 2003, 11:27 AM
Well, I thought I was nervous a few weeks ago:o but nothing compares to how I feel this coming week. Come on Sydney, just keep doing what you have been doing,,,,,,,,,WINNING :D :D Man on Man, just like the Port Adelaide game will be good:D

desredandwhite
13th September 2003, 11:35 AM
I actually really REALLY hate watching the football, especially if it's an important game. I can't wait for this game to be over, one way or another...

:frown

juliec
13th September 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
I actually really REALLY hate watching the football, especially if it's an important game. I can't wait for this game to be over, one way or another...

I know exactly what you mean Des:eek: this is going to be a long long week,, I would love to beat Brisbane:mad: just to see the look on a few of their faces, sometimes I think they think they are invincible, as far as I am concerned they have had their time.

Go Swannies
13th September 2003, 12:35 PM
A friend of a friend had a ticket to the GF a few years ago and couldn't face entering the 'G in case his team lost. Gave the ticket away and watched the game at a nearby pub. His team won.

If we're in the GF and I find a ticket (flight booked 2 months ago) - I'll be incredibly proud of the boys at the end of the game whether they win or lose.

swansrock4eva
13th September 2003, 02:43 PM
I can honestly say there is nothing bigger than Grand final day at the 'G (altho a packed Stade Oz comes close!). I was lucky enough to go in 96 and I'll be there this year if we win, and just the thought of the atmosphere has me pumped already! But regardless of the result I know I will be reduced to tears at the end the same way I was in 96 (I had to be picked up out of the floggers whilst bawling like a baby!), but i'm praying for happy tears instead of sad ones!!

But I must admit, if it's a close game next weekend you may find me walking out of my seat because I just can't watch anymore! Either that or keep the kidlets away from me because I will be swearing like a trooper in sheer frustration and fear!

j s
13th September 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by swansrock4eva
(I had to be picked up out of the floggers whilst bawling like a baby
But you WERE a baby in 96!

robbieando
13th September 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by j s
But you WERE a baby in 96!

.....and still is 7 years later;)

The nerves have built up today with the knowledge that we are playing Brisbane. Unlike most of you I hate Brisbane, because of the simple little fact my smart arse brother who doesn't care that much about footy, supports them and frankly the last 2 Grand Finals have been hell because of him. If we win he'll cop heaps from me on the night but it won't go on for long, if we lose however I'm in for a summer from hell. I'll never live it down and I might be up on a murder charge come the new year.

swansrock4eva
13th September 2003, 04:36 PM
oi! I'll have you know I was the grand old age of 12 then! i'm now almost 20... :frown

desredandwhite
13th September 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by juliec
I know exactly what you mean Des:eek: this is going to be a long long week,,

I've posted this before.. But this is my favourite quote from Nick Hornby's FEver Pitch - describing his first experience at a soccer game:

It wasn't the size of the crowd that impressed me most, however, or the way that adults were allowed to shout the word 'WANKER!' as loudly as they wanted without attracting any attention. What impressed me most was just how much most of the men around me hated, really hated being there. As far as I could tell, nobody seemed to enjoy, in the way that I understood the word, anything that happened during the entire afternoon. Within minutes of the kick-off there was real anger ('You're a DISGRACE, Gould. He's a DISGRACE!' 'A hundred quid a week? A HUNDRED QUID A WEEK! They should give that to me for watching you.'); as the game went on, the anger turned into outrage, and then seemed to curdle into sullen, silent discontent. Yes, yes, I know all the jokes. What else could I have expected at highbury? But I went to Chelsea and to Tottenham and to Rangers, and saw the same thing: that the natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score.

I agree 100% with that. Footy games regularly make me ill, angry, furious, disappointed, shattered, incredulous, frustrated and tense. You can't not go though... you just can't.

NMWBloods
13th September 2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite

Same!! I often don't watch and just flick it on to get score updates. I watch later in comfort if we win! :)

Last Sunday was an exception as I didn't think we'd win - I sat and watched every second!

Damien
14th September 2003, 12:17 AM
Love this thread!

I am alright at a match, I seem to be able to control myself a little bit better nerves wise for some reason (maybe knowing that most of us are in the same boat helps)

I hate watching games on television and people hate watching them with me! I turn the television on and off all game, occasionally decide that the swans might start scoring more if I get live updates on the net instead lol

The PA match saw me go for a jog during the final quarter! Grand Final day is going to be absolute torture!!!! I am probably going to be sick at the first bounce!.

NMWBloods
14th September 2003, 12:46 AM
I am alright at a match, I seem to be able to control myself a little bit better nerves wise for some reason (maybe knowing that most of us are in the same boat helps)[/B]

Yep - I'm a hundred times better at a game.

aflconvert
14th September 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Love this thread!

I am alright at a match, I seem to be able to control myself a little bit better nerves wise for some reason (maybe knowing that most of us are in the same boat helps)

I hate watching games on television and people hate watching them with me! I turn the television on and off all game, occasionally decide that the swans might start scoring more if I get live updates on the net instead lol

The PA match saw me go for a jog during the final quarter! Grand Final day is going to be absolute torture!!!! I am probably going to be sick at the first bounce!.

I dont actually turn the TV off but its the one and only time when I as a female engage in that favourite male sport "Channel Surfing" . Surf thru all the channels and by the time I get back to the Swannies hope there's another goal/ opponents have missed a sitter in front ,etc

Good to hear I am not alone