PDA

View Full Version : Sydney must be patient...

Cheer Squad
25th July 2009, 10:39 AM
Sydney must be patient | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25831305-5012432,00.html)

Mick Malthouse expresses his views on our current situation.

Overall, I think his views are reasonable, but I think he may be overestimating how many people in Sydney are prepared to follow the development of our youngsters until they become established players. That's not been the way we've achieved success up here, first in the mid-80s, then the mid-90s, and then after Paul Roos took over. Getting Sydney people to pay attention has always been linked to building a competitive team with established players from other clubs.

The reality is that Sydney doesn't show much interest in AFL, or the Swans, until we start winning consistently and become a genuine contender. In recent times, we might have collected a few more rusted-on supporters who will stick with the team while we rebuild, but I doubt Sydney's overall attitude to AFL has changed that much.

I think Richard Colless hit the nail on the head when he said that Sydney is currently suffering from AFL fatigue. Given that he comes from a traditional AFL state, Mick Malthouse probably doesn't understand that.

CureTheSane
25th July 2009, 10:45 AM
As a general rule, I think Mick is a tool.
But what he said made sense.

pinkemu
25th July 2009, 10:57 AM
Sydney must be patient | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25831305-5012432,00.html)

I think Richard Colless hit the nail on the head when he said that Sydney is currently suffering from AFL fatigue. Given that he comes from a traditional AFL state, Mick Malthouse probably doesn't understand that.

I hate this statement, As true as it is that a lot of the fringe supporters drop off when the team is not performing it really annoys me that Colless believes that it's more to do with "AFL fatigue". He should come out and admit they really stuffed up by raising membership prices with the belief that they were about to grow the membership. I know he has touched on the subject with members but he has constantly used other excuses when parroting to the media.

And what exactly is "AFL fatigue" ? We certainly don't get bombarded by the AFL on free to air TV or the print media in Sydney.

Lohengrin
25th July 2009, 11:31 AM
An interesting dichotomy for the Swans and the supporters. Malthouse is essentially suggesting that it could be a gradual rebuild, as other teams do. Many supporters may not have the patience for that - they may not have a choice. Will the Swans go down that path.

Legs Akimbo
25th July 2009, 11:37 AM
Very sensible views from Mick and I think he has the right of it.

The art of coaching sides at the bottom is to closely scrutinise your list and take no prisoners. You have to look at the future, you cannot look at the past. There is no, or very little, room for sentiment.

A bottom club's future has to be built around a few very solid citizens who can be the coach's deputies on the ground and off. And you need a solid group of young players who have the number one requirement in life and that is ambition.

Sydney's problem is expressed very well in the paragraph above. The essence of what he is saying that you build a cohort from nothin. Tinkering with a list and keeping on the old soldiers gets you nowhere fast.

10Totti10
25th July 2009, 11:52 AM
The Swans are in a very similar position to Adelaide a couple of years ago. We have had mass retirement of players, but we slowly started our rebuilding stage a couple of seasons ago (unlike other teams which just throw in a bunch of youngsters after everyone retires). Players like Bird, Jack, Grundy, Barlow, etc will be ready for the AFL level, and will be ready to take that next step. Veszpa, Meredith, Smith, will prob need another year, while Hanners, Johnston, Murphy, etc will take 2-3 years. Either way, I think we will be ready to challenge for a top 8 spot in 2 years, a top 4 in 3 years, and a premiership in 4.

ernie koala
25th July 2009, 01:53 PM
I've got plenty of time for Mick Malthouse and agree with his article about the Swans situation. In 07 and 08 Roos and co kept going with recycled trades rather than young draft picks. And even though the cupboard appears to have some good stock, there's not enough. Rectifing this weakness in our list, as we head to the compromised drafts is going to be extremely difficult.

Margie
25th July 2009, 06:26 PM
Good article. I respect Mick's opinions and he's got it pretty right here.

1%ers
26th July 2009, 03:51 AM

Overall, I think his views are reasonable, but I think he may be overestimating how many people in Sydney are prepared to follow the development of our youngsters until they become established players. That's not been the way we've achieved success up here, first in the mid-80s, then the mid-90s, and then after Paul Roos took over. Getting Sydney people to pay attention has always been linked to building a competitive team with established players from other clubs.

The reality is that Sydney doesn't show much interest in AFL, or the Swans, until we start winning consistently and become a genuine contender. In recent times, we might have collected a few more rusted-on supporters who will stick with the team while we rebuild, but I doubt Sydney's overall attitude to AFL has changed that much.

What RUBBISH;
Come on People go to sporting events for ENTERTAINMENT.

If Swans Alaa Hawthorn & Co finished 10th but had the LIKEs of BUDDY, RIOLI, LEON DAVIS, & Hodge providing some brilliant spectacles (Eg; A Goodes, Jezalenko, up there Cazaly) we would all love being at the game when So&so did ...... (take a screamer, kick that miraculous goal)

Its EXCITEMENT & EXPECTATION's that draws the crowd's not grinding out a boring mundane win!!!

Stop swallowing the excuses

Cheer Squad
26th July 2009, 10:28 AM
Its EXCITEMENT & EXPECTATION's that draws the crowd's not grinding out a boring mundane win!!!

I can't recall that many boring, mundane wins we've had over the past few years. I can think of plenty of thrillers.

Our style of play has the habit of keeping the opposition in the game. Sometimes, I wish we could crush sides as easily as Geelong have done, just to give my nerves a bit of a rest. :o

Primmy
26th July 2009, 12:15 PM
I can't recall that many boring, mundane wins we've had over the past few years. I can think of plenty of thrillers.

Our style of play has the habit of keeping the opposition in the game. Sometimes, I wish we could crush sides as easily as Geelong have done, just to give my nerves a bit of a rest. :o

I agree. there are times I turn to nerve tonic at the start and end of a game......

However I turned up in Round 2 1996 I haven't had to be tried and tested in any major way. I guess its about time to see if I make it. If I do I will be as proud of myself as can be. My generation expects everyone to experience highs and lows in life, and football. Its about time the Club acknowledges the loyal fan base they now have. It annoys me that they focus solely on the fair weather fans who are dropping off at present. What about the rest of us, I think we will be hanging in there for the long haul.

If I want week in week out "excitement" I will go to a , well I have had to think about this, what provides a week in week out formulated excitement spectacle. Well, light goes on, its the not knowing that is part of the general entertainment, isn't it!

CureTheSane
26th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Sometimes, I wish we could crush sides as easily as Geelong have done, just to give my nerves a bit of a rest. :o

As they say - it's tough to be a Swans supporter.

Cheer Squad
26th July 2009, 12:55 PM
Its about time the Club acknowledges the loyal fan base they now have. It annoys me that they focus solely on the fair weather fans who are dropping off at present. What about the rest of us, I think we will be hanging in there for the long haul.

I think we're about to find out just how loyal our fan base really is. We're entering the club's first serious downward cycle since the late 80s and early 90s. It probably won't be as bad as 92-94, but the sustained performances we've all grown accustomed to since '96 onwards won't be back in the near future.

Reggi
27th July 2009, 09:09 AM
Great article by MM and he is riht watching a young up and coming side is great in terms of expectation. I've found us hard to follow for two years, but it is exciting watching ten or so fresh faces come in.

A couple will turn out far better than we imagine,some won't make it. But it's exciting.

We've been pretty blessed for 14 years, now time for football penance. Roosy needs to draft and develop well. Will be very interesting to see our list come December. I am guessing quite you, although I think Ablett & Buchanan will survive to keep some stronger bodies around, Laidlaw, Schmidt, D O'Keefe & Playfair probably determined by medical issues.

Bear
27th July 2009, 10:33 AM
The crowds are down due to our football lacking the same level of flow and highlights that you get with just about any other team.

It IS grinding, mundane football.

"AFL fatigue" is a pathetic excuse.

Go Swannies
27th July 2009, 10:46 AM
The Swans are in a very similar position to Adelaide a couple of years ago. We have had mass retirement of players, but we slowly started our rebuilding stage a couple of seasons ago (unlike other teams which just throw in a bunch of youngsters after everyone retires). Players like Bird, Jack, Grundy, Barlow, etc will be ready for the AFL level, and will be ready to take that next step. Veszpa, Meredith, Smith, will prob need another year, while Hanners, Johnston, Murphy, etc will take 2-3 years. Either way, I think we will be ready to challenge for a top 8 spot in 2 years, a top 4 in 3 years, and a premiership in 4.

I'm with you. I watched the awful game yesterday and thought back to R1 2005 when we played the Hawks at the SCG. We crushed them but you could see they were young bodies still learning the game. Yesterday the Swans played to the standard of the opposition and the venue and that was sad as the Swans of earlier years would have buried them. Paul Roos is right - he should fast forward through yesterday's game. But over the next few weeks against top teams the results won't be pretty but we'll see if the kids have any potential to develop over the next few seasons.

RWO must be the ultimate expression of short term thinking, as Sydney is always accused of being. I'm pretty impressed by bringing in recycled players and turning them around. I would not be prepared to play a 19 yo instead of Craig Bolton, Marty Mattner, Ted Richards et al. Even R Shaw is a work in progress but gives some experience to build a new team around. But here we are told who should be dumped before half time in their first game.

I admire our lateral thinking too. I think bringing Jesse White and Mike Pike in from other sports will hasten our return to the winner's circle - and better than the alternative of tanking for years to build a team on draft picks 1-4.

There's going to be some pain over the next year or so and while we suffer I'll enjoy watching the kids develop - as I have been impressed as they have been steadily introduced into the team over the past few years.

Go Swannies

AnnieH
27th July 2009, 12:49 PM
Maltmouth is a dick. He should be more worried about whether or not Buckley's got his job next year.

DST
27th July 2009, 08:16 PM
Great article by MM and he is riht watching a young up and coming side is great in terms of expectation. I've found us hard to follow for two years, but it is exciting watching ten or so fresh faces come in.

A couple will turn out far better than we imagine,some won't make it. But it's exciting.

We've been pretty blessed for 14 years, now time for football penance. Roosy needs to draft and develop well. Will be very interesting to see our list come December. I am guessing quite you, although I think Ablett & Buchanan will survive to keep some stronger bodies around, Laidlaw, Schmidt, D O'Keefe & Playfair probably determined by medical issues.

Agree Reggi, I would think that both Ablett and Buchanan would be put out as a teaser for trades but in all likelyhood they will be retained to give the list some cover. Both of capable of being in our best 22 next year if they can get their bodies and attitude right.

As for Laidlaw, Schmidt , DOK and Playfair all will be assessed for a spot and whether their bodies will allow them to continue or not. However all have shown enough when played (or in DOK's case in the ressies) to allow the coaching staff to stick with them if they can get their bodies right.

It's a thin draft this year and there is no need to draft past the 60's just for the sake of bringing in kids. If we get 6 retirements this year that will probably be about enough of a turn over with 1 or 2 upgraded from the rookie list and 4 or 5 selections from the draft.

Does anyone know if Coney has made it back to Australia and is considering staying now, he will be a big bonus if he decides to come back and make a go of it?

DST
:D