PDA

View Full Version : Tanking, Draft etc

dread and might
29th July 2009, 11:54 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again since it's that time of year when the "T" word comes out.

Scrap Priority Picks. Richmond and Melbourne prove that they don't really help you any more than the normal reverse order. This would stop Tanking to some degree.

Further to this, Break the 16 positions into 4 groups of 4, with a "mini-lottery" in each group, i.e. the teams finishing in the bottom 4 would draw a number to decide who gets Picks 1,2,3 and 4. Still access to the best talent, but with less added incentive to lose. Repeat....

Discuss.
;)

goswannie14
29th July 2009, 03:46 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again since it's that time of year when the "T" word comes out.

Scrap Priority Picks. Richmond and Melbourne prove that they don't really help you any more than the normal reverse order. This would stop Tanking to some degree.

Further to this, Break the 16 positions into 4 groups of 4, with a "mini-lottery" in each group, i.e. the teams finishing in the bottom 4 would draw a number to decide who gets Picks 1,2,3 and 4. Still access to the best talent, but with less added incentive to lose. Repeat....

Discuss.
;)I, along with a number of others here advocated that system last year.;)

shaun..
29th July 2009, 07:32 PM
I, along with a number of others here advocated that system last year.;)

Yep change the current system, A.S.A.P.
Priority picks.. what a joke, its cheering on failure.

ernie koala
29th July 2009, 08:57 PM

Discuss.
;)

I, along with everyone else except Demetriou, agree with scrapping the priority pick.
But I'm not so sure about a lottery system for a few reasons.....
Mainly because it leaves a situation where a team coming 5th last will have more incentive to try and finish 4th last, knowing that they are then a 50/50 chance of picking up the No.1 or 2 pick. Therefore defeating the purpose.
Secondly, the worst team may get unlucky for many years in a row and never get a No.1 or 2, which lessens the effectiveness of the draft to pick the bottom team up quickly.

laughingnome
29th July 2009, 09:53 PM
One of the commonly quoted alternatives is a straight-draw lottery, which operates thusly:

Teams who finished 9 to 16 are given a number of draws from a pot, with 9th getting one, 10th gets two, etc, 16th gets 8.

The numbers 1 - 16 (representing draft picks) are placed in a pot.

Starting with 9th, each team draws a number from the pot.

Starting with 10th, each team then draws a second number (except 9th, which has had it's one draw). If the draw is higher then the team's first draw it replaces it. For example, if 10 draws 14th first and 8th second, it keeps 8th and 14th is placed back in the pot.

Subsequent rounds start with and descend with 11th (3rd round), 12th (4th round), etc, the last round only 16th draws it's last of 8 draws.

The 8 numbers that remain in the pot are then given to the top 8 teams, 8th first.

This system rewards a team by either playing finals or a good probability of gaining the first draft pick. The probability of getting the number 1 pick (which usurps all lower draws in the lottery) in the draft for each team under this system is:
8th - 1.19%
9th - 6.25%
10th - 12.50%
11th - 14.17%
12th - 14.28%
13th - 13.84%
14th - 13.23%
15th - 12.58%
16th - 11.96%

8th can gain the number one draft pick if no team draws it in 36 draws (highly unlikely).

I like this system because it creates a theatre whereby no team is clearly disadvantaged outside the Final 8 except for 9th, which probably could have hit finals except for a loss in the final round of the season. Of the remaining teams 12th, 11th and 13th have the best chance of the number 1 pick, but 14th, 15th, and 16th have the best chance at a top 5 pick. It seems fair and equitable to me, simply to understand and if the lottery is conducted post-season avoids the scenes like the "Matthew Kruezer Cup".

dread and might
1st August 2009, 09:26 PM
I, along with a number of others here advocated that system last year.;)

probably along with me:)

goswannie14
1st August 2009, 10:28 PM
probably along with me:)I think that could be a correct assumption of the facts!;)