PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Swans fans under scrutiny for delaying St Kilda kick-ins

ScottH
3rd August 2009, 09:10 AM
Swans fans put brakes on Saints - AFL - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25873639-23211,00.html)

On several occasions on Saturday night a group of Swans fans deliberately threw footballs that had been kicked into the crowd back on to the field just as St Kilda players were about to restart play with a new ball.

The tactic cost the Saints at least two clear takeaways from defence as play was stopped to clear the second ball from the field of play.

giant
3rd August 2009, 09:15 AM
About time the cheer squad started contributing...

I've seen the opposition cheer squads do this to the Swans on a number of occasions.

Go Swannies
3rd August 2009, 09:26 AM
Yawn. This comes about because the TV commentary said that the Swans cheer squad were doing it. Those of us who were at the game would know that it was happening from the Saints' cheer squad end.

May I suggest that Kenny and his harem were knitting the phantom balls and throwing them onto the ground?

Primmy
3rd August 2009, 10:23 AM
OUR cheer squad is up the other end, you know, where they sit quietly and don't make any trouble.

Kenny and his girls and the children line up under the Noble Stand - the unofficial cheer squad . The kids are the problems with the loose balls. they can't see over the heads in front and just toss them when they can be convinced they have to give the thing up. They also don't have any sense of occasion except the fact they have the ball and don't want to let anyone else have it "cos they've got the ball!". Its huge excitement down there. Ever since they put in the nets to stop the kids having fun before the game catching the stray balls in practice the problems have arisen.

Not many adults sit in this area as the seats are not well stacked and you can't see too well.

Perhaps a ball monitor is appropriate.
Anyone want to volunteer to miss quite a bit of the game while fighting the children for the footy?

ROK Lobster
3rd August 2009, 10:24 AM
OUR cheer squad is up the other end, you know, where they sit quietly and don't make any trouble.

Kenny and his girls and the children line up under the Noble Stand - the unofficial cheer squad . The kids are the problems with the loose balls. they can't see over the heads in front and just toss them when they can be convinced the have to give the thing up. They also don't have any sense of occasion except the fact they have the ball and don't want to let anyone else have it "cos they've got the ball!". Its huge excitement down there. Not many adults sit in this area as the seats are not well stacked and you can't see too well.

Anyone want to volunteer to miss quite a bit of the game while fighting the children for the footy?
Just ban kids from going to the footy. Simple really.

dimelb
3rd August 2009, 11:41 AM

Kenny and his girls and the children line up under the Noble Stand - the unofficial cheer squad . The kids are the problems with the loose balls. they can't see over the heads in front and just toss them when they can be convinced they have to give the thing up. They also don't have any sense of occasion except the fact they have the ball and don't want to let anyone else have it "cos they've got the ball!". Its huge excitement down there. Ever since they put in the nets to stop the kids having fun before the game catching the stray balls in practice the problems have arisen.

Not many adults sit in this area as the seats are not well stacked and you can't see too well.

LOL - such fun at the footy!

stellation
3rd August 2009, 12:01 PM
Failing to supply sausage rolls to the tuck shop is the start of a subtle age based cleansing.

Primmy
3rd August 2009, 01:51 PM
Failing to supply sausage rolls to the tuck shop is the start of a subtle age based cleansing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH still HAHAHAHAing.

goswannie14
3rd August 2009, 02:18 PM
IIRC if you don't give the ball back you get arrested, now if you do give the ball back to slow you get evicted! What sort of a stupid system is it that punishes you no matter what you do....oh yeah that's right, a system run by the Fat Controller.:rolleyes:

Primmy
3rd August 2009, 02:33 PM
IIRC if you don't give the ball back you get arrested, now if you do give the ball back to slow you get evicted! What sort of a stupid system is it that punishes you no matter what you do....oh yeah that's right, a system run by the Fat Controller.:rolleyes:

You talking about me!

Actually I had a runin with the security staff this week (3.45pm, 70 people at the ground, I have white hair and will never see my 40's again). The woman wanted to examine my sandwiches. I don't know what she thought I was going to do. Throw bits of chicken at the players? OK I also had some bikkies and lollies which I was smuggling in, but....and perhaps they were in a container that normally holds sandwiches. Guess you don't have to be a mensa graduate to check bags at the SCG. Mind you my metal thermos full of hot coffee didn't seem to worry her......

stellation
3rd August 2009, 04:40 PM
Dumb question- but does the game stop whenever there's two footys on the field or is the rule explicitly for kick-ins? If I was to grab somebody's footy and throw it on the field of play would the game stop? How would it stop?

Could I have caused a stop in play if I had thrown somebody's footy on the field as that awkward kick bumbled towards the line for the winning behind?

Primmy
3rd August 2009, 05:20 PM
Dumb question- but does the game stop whenever there's two footys on the field or is the rule explicitly for kick-ins? If I was to grab somebody's footy and throw it on the field of play would the game stop? How would it stop?

Could I have caused a stop in play if I had thrown somebody's footy on the field as that awkward kick bumbled towards the line for the winning behind?

Yes.

annew
3rd August 2009, 07:32 PM
You talking about me!

Actually I had a runin with the security staff this week (3.45pm, 70 people at the ground, I have white hair and will never see my 40's again). The woman wanted to examine my sandwiches. I don't know what she thought I was going to do. Throw bits of chicken at the players? OK I also had some bikkies and lollies which I was smuggling in, but....and perhaps they were in a container that normally holds sandwiches. Guess you don't have to be a mensa graduate to check bags at the SCG. Mind you my metal thermos full of hot coffee didn't seem to worry her......

I take biscuits and lollies every week - is this not allowed now?

giant
3rd August 2009, 07:35 PM

OMG!!! This is a veritable hornet's nest!! In fact, this is a hornet's nest hidden within Pandora's Box.

laughingnome
3rd August 2009, 07:59 PM

I say no. Play is stopped if two identical balls are on the field (ie two match balls) but if any other ball was thrown onto the ground it would be treated the same as thrown coke bottles, etc: a trainer or player would kick it into the fence.

Dalai Lama
3rd August 2009, 08:57 PM
Its about time the cheer squad showed some balls!

ScottH
3rd August 2009, 09:30 PM
I take biscuits and lollies every week - is this not allowed now?

Obviously illegal contraband at the SCG.

Maybe Roos is the only one allowed lollies.

goswannie14
3rd August 2009, 09:34 PM
Obviously illegal contraband at the SCG.

Maybe Roos is the only one allowed lollies.At least he'll get some now that Hally has retired.:D

Lohengrin
3rd August 2009, 09:55 PM
Its about time the cheer squad showed some balls!
Oh god please no! :eek:

Trickster
4th August 2009, 06:10 PM

Heck yes!

Or at least have a designated family area so we can have a choice of not having kids around

goswannie14
4th August 2009, 06:16 PM
Heck yes!

Or at least have a designated family area so we can have a choice of not having kids aroundI feel the same about a number of adults too.

Go Swannies
4th August 2009, 06:16 PM
Heck yes!

Or at least have a designated family area so we can have a choice of not having kids around

Can we have another designated area for non-drinkers, and another for heavy drinkers - and for St Kilda fans?

Trickster
4th August 2009, 06:25 PM
Yes to both ideas
I can never figure out the people who pay for a Season pass yet spend their time traveling to and from the bar or chatting about their social lives (or telling everyone around them how bad the Boys are at the mo)

Maybe a cone of silence around the more annoying people?
I had a saints supporter beating seats and grunting every time his team got the ball-wanted to thump him but just told him to enjoy it while it lasted, his team would not be in the same position again

laughingnome
4th August 2009, 06:32 PM
There are two family designated, non drinking areas. Bay 32 (behind the Swans bench) and Bay ... 11 for memory.

Primmy
4th August 2009, 11:46 PM
Apropo nothing - if anyone is out there who actually goes to games to ignore what is going on and bitch gossip with their girlfriends, or if some of the blokes could answer why they spend the majority of the more exciting moments shoving their arses in our faces while forcing their way through with or without three beers in plastic cups please answer this question.

Why do you come to the football?

Its got me fascinated and I am sure there is a social more going on here. But I fail to see the fascination of paying good money to not watch the game or to pay a fortune to drink yourselves silly and not watch the game.

Anyone?

sidswan
4th August 2009, 11:59 PM
Can't understand it at all.....we had 4 blokes behind us (2 of whom were wearing swans scarves) in the Ladies Stand who ignored the footy & gossiped among themselves all night long:eek:

timthefish
5th August 2009, 01:04 AM
maybe we need to have a special section for people who only wish to be amongst those that go to the footy in the proper way?

the area could be a largely unseated bog with a few pine benches, have poor toilet access and no protection from the elements other than that given by the special panels erected to block the view of the video screens.

but what to call this particular membership class? the sydney simulcra has a nice ring to it.

stellation
5th August 2009, 07:47 AM
maybe we need to have a special section for people who only wish to be amongst those that go to the footy in the proper way?

the area could be a largely unseated bog with a few pine benches, have poor toilet access and no protection from the elements other than that given by the special panels erected to block the view of the video screens.

but what to call this particular membership class? the sydney simulcra has a nice ring to it.
:D

Although perhaps we might need to have 10000 such areas as the 10000 people who want to do it the proper way all probably have a different opinion on what is proper!

Primmy
5th August 2009, 09:59 AM
:D

Although perhaps we might need to have 10000 such areas as the 10000 people who want to do it the proper way all probably have a different opinion on what is proper!

I know what you mean Stella, but I am not including the "proper" watchers, such as the Doom and Gloom couple who we moved away from after sitting in the same seats for eleven years because they bag even the toppies in the ressies matches. I acknowledge they watch the game minutely although they create a black hole of negativity around them, people avoid sitting near them even tho they are in prime seats.

Our aim is at the people who pay good money for seats then talk on the phone to someone or other for an hour about uncle charlies operation (they used staples apparently), or what their boyfriends did last night, or apply nail polish, or sit and have a three way conversation for four quarters without even bothering to keep a weather eye on what is happening on the field. Or as someone is steaming down with the ball bouncing heading towards goal stands up in front of the screaming footy fans and asks his mates for a head count on who wants a beer.

That is the kind of footy goer I just don't get. Why are they there!

Cardinal
5th August 2009, 10:11 AM
I liked Eddie McGuire's description in the footy record about what it was like to watch the Pies as a kid at Victoria Park. Sounded serene compared to those ball throwing, drunken yobbo, loud kids at the sCG the other night.

Benny&thejets
5th August 2009, 08:56 PM
I liked Eddie McGuire's description in the footy record about what it was like to watch the Pies as a kid at Victoria Park. Sounded serene compared to those ball throwing, drunken yobbo, loud kids at the sCG the other night.

Definitely wasn't the cheersquad who delayed the game the other night. We were up the other end

Darren Thomson
5th August 2009, 10:52 PM
If the game can be stopped by throwing an extra ball onto the field, shoudn't we all be supplied with footies to throw on every time the opposition gets momentum or a fast break?

Q...
5th August 2009, 10:55 PM
Can we have another designated area for non-drinkers, and another for heavy drinkers - and for St Kilda fans?

Just for clarification, are you requesting two areas or three? I like to drink and watch footy but I don't like St Kilda Fans...

Edit: Just read some more posts and would like to be known as none of them... If you're going to go to the footy and drink you need to have a designated "drink getter". Obviously, as you all point out, disregarding the game is utterly inappropriate and there isn't enough time during the breaks to get your drinks. You need a non-footy-appreciater who is willing to listen to you comment on the game during the quarters who is still happy to go and stand in the line during the breaks to get your drinks. Always, double your order unless you have a desire to be thirsty and make sure your bladder can handle the pressure... Who said footy wasn't a team sport?