PDA

View Full Version : Jolly not in AA list

Swannette
1st September 2009, 06:46 PM
What the? Darren Jolly not even named on the extended AA selection list. Bolts and Goodesy are, but no Jolly. I find that extremely odd. :mad:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26012872-19742,00.html

Captain
1st September 2009, 06:50 PM
Jolly unlucky, but his 2nd half of the year really fell away.

Not sure how they have Dane Swans in the forward line?

Besides the past month or so, reckon Goodes has played more midfield as well.

stellation
1st September 2009, 06:55 PM
No O'Keefe?

Lucky Knickers
1st September 2009, 07:04 PM
I love B2 but was surprised at that nom but I guess he is Mr Reliable.

UglyDuckling
1st September 2009, 07:43 PM
No Jolly = Disgrace

AnnieH
1st September 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm surprised.

Good on Bolts and Goodesy though.

If the selectors think Goodesy may be good enough ... Mr Charlie??

AnnieH
1st September 2009, 08:02 PM
I love B2 but was surprised at that nom but I guess he is Mr Reliable.

Quite often the last line.

Plugger46
1st September 2009, 10:05 PM
No O'Keefe is the bigger joke. Probably wouldn't have had Bolton in there this year.

Claret
2nd September 2009, 01:07 AM
It's probably a bit hard to justify having four ruckmen in a 40-man squad, and Jols was no better than 4th best throughout the year. I agree it would have been a different story after 11 rounds.

Bolton pretty lucky to be honest. It feels a bit strange having a Swan picked on reputation! Chris Tarrant unlucky here.

O'Keefe very stiff. Very very.

Try picking a forward line out of those nominated - very diificult. Fev and Roo pick themselves. As do Le Cras (who I've gone for ahead of the Porpoise, just) and Stevie J and Chappy. Swan will be named in the midfield. Leaving Jono Brown on the field and Goodesy on the bench (for versatility).

Neon Leon, Buddy, and Milne not as consistent as those mentioned above.

laughingnome
2nd September 2009, 01:31 AM
It's probably a bit hard to justify having four ruckmen in a 40-man squad, and Jols was no better than 4th best throughout the year. I agree it would have been a different story after 11 rounds.

Maybe so, but the stats say he was at least as good as the rest this year amoung the rucks:
Hit outs: 682 (next best: Sandilands, 659)
FF/FA: 32/28 (best difference: Brogan 45/33)
Tackles: 61 (third behind Ryder (99) and Clark (86))
Goals: 16 (equal first with Lade)
Inside 50: 41 (Clark had 51)
Disposals: 261 (Sandilands, McIntosh, Clark all approx 350)

The disposals seems to be what tipped it away from him, but I hardly think that's fair. Jolly was used more as a resting forward given the incredible load he's had to shoulder this year in the ruck. It's no secret his round 22 game was poor, I'd suggest the poor man was buggered from his hardest year on the park.

But it's done and dusted now, hopefully his engine has gotten even bigger for the journey and he floors the whole ruddy lot of them next year.

Plugger46
2nd September 2009, 10:10 AM

Bolton pretty lucky to be honest. It feels a bit strange having a Swan picked on reputation! Chris Tarrant unlucky here.

O'Keefe very stiff. Very very.

Try picking a forward line out of those nominated - very diificult. Fev and Roo pick themselves. As do Le Cras (who I've gone for ahead of the Porpoise, just) and Stevie J and Chappy. Swan will be named in the midfield. Leaving Jono Brown on the field and Goodesy on the bench (for versatility).

Neon Leon, Buddy, and Milne not as consistent as those mentioned above.

Clark didn't really warm up til the second half of the year and McIntosh tapered off over the last 6 weeks.

Bolton had a good year but certainly picked on reputation IMO. Reckon Bartel is the same.

Why on earth is Swan picked as a forward? Franklin's inclusion is equally mind-boggling.

Don't agree on Steve Johnson, Claret. Good chance but shouldn't be a walk-up start. Excellent player but had some quiet games and only played 16 games.

O'Keefe and Jobe Watson are the two glaring omissions.

Not sure why this award is rated so highly - Glen Jackovich, the most biased man in football is on the selection panel for starters. Glorified media award.

Go Swannies
2nd September 2009, 10:22 AM
I can't believe all the Sydney-based selectors didn't pick Jolly after seeing his incredible efforts all year!

AFL all-Australian makes as much sense as American baseball's World Series.

And any panel, board or selection committee that has Robert Walls on it has no credibility at all. Was I the only one who found On the Couch essential viewing this year now the other half of the lounge was filled by the intelligence, level-headedness and good humour of James Hird?

Jolls can feel ripped off - as can Rhys Shaw who made more forward progress for his team than anyone else in the competition.

Primmy
2nd September 2009, 10:38 AM
I can't believe all the Sydney-based selectors didn't pick Jolly after seeing his incredible efforts all year!

AFL all-Australian makes as much sense as American baseball's World Series.

And any panel, board or selection committee that has Robert Walls on it has no credibility at all. Was I the only one who found On the Couch essential viewing this year now the other half of the lounge was filled by the intelligence, level-headedness and good humour of James Hird?

Jolls can feel ripped off - as can Rhys Shaw who made more forward progress for his team than anyone else in the competition.

He is probably just not pretty enough.:frown

Donners
2nd September 2009, 10:45 AM
Don't think there's much argument with the rucks chosen ahead of Jolly. He had quite a few flat games in the second half of the season.

O'Keefe was quite unlucky, though.

Plugger46
2nd September 2009, 10:50 AM
Don't think there's much argument with the rucks chosen ahead of Jolly. He had quite a few flat games in the second half of the season.

What about Clark doing very little in the first half of the season? McIntosh was just as quiet as Jolly late in the year.

I agree though, O'Keefe is the most unlucky.

Captain
2nd September 2009, 10:59 AM

Think his poor start to the season hurt him. IIRC lots of the AA selectors were speaking at the time how he didn't look 'happy'.

Plugger46
2nd September 2009, 11:20 AM
Think his poor start to the season hurt him. IIRC lots of the AA selectors were speaking at the time how he didn't look 'happy'.

Yeah, it wasn't long though. Improved against Carlton (R4) and was very consistent thereafter.

Bleed Red Blood
2nd September 2009, 01:54 PM

Please, Shaw's a long way off that squad.

Plugger46
2nd September 2009, 02:03 PM
Please, Shaw's a long way off that squad.

Agreed but so is Andrew Mackie. Can't believe how highly rated he is. Good player but that's it. Ironically, he played his best game of the year against us.

Lohengrin
2nd September 2009, 03:00 PM
Sandilands and Clark have been very good this year, so Jolly should be in third or fourth place. McIntosh has been pretty good. The three above Jolly tend to do more around the ground.

O'Keefe probably unlucky, but I'm not sure who you'd drop out from my quick glance down the list.

giant
2nd September 2009, 08:03 PM
Would have had Jolly ahead of McIntosh - but it's probably Sandilands and Clark for the final 22 anyway. Clark's effort on Saturday was outstanding - he looks like a superstar in the making.

Lohengrin
28th September 2009, 03:29 PM
Agreed but so is Andrew Mackie. Can't believe how highly rated he is. Good player but that's it. Ironically, he played his best game of the year against us.
Everyone else rates him. Lyon specifically brought in a player to tag him in the GF.

Darren Thomson
28th September 2009, 09:54 PM
No Jolly = Disgrace

Agree, carried the ruck pretty much single handed and set records all year, kicked goals, made tackles took marks etc etc etc, what does a bloke have to do to get an AA nom? I won't go into the obvious