PDA

View Full Version : Bob Skilton Medal Night - Spoilers

BeeEmmAre
11th September 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi All,

From a contact on the inside at the Bob Skilton Medal night tonight.

2009 Rising Star - Jesse White and Nick Smith

Rhyce Shaw leads the count after six rounds on 150 votes

More to come.....

ScottH
11th September 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

From a contact on the inside at the Bob Skilton Medal night tonight.

2009 Rising Star - Jesse White and Nick Smith

Rhyce Shaw leads the count after six rounds on 150 votes

More to come.....

Wow. Good on Smith. Matched White (18 games) from his 11 games.

Thx for the update BMR

ugg
11th September 2009, 09:56 PM
Shawly Rhyce will follow in Willow and Schaubs's footsteps?

BeeEmmAre
11th September 2009, 11:01 PM
Most improved - Heath Grundy

Darren Jolly has taken the lead in the Skilton after round 12 from Ryan O'Keefe and Rhyce Shaw.

BeeEmmAre
11th September 2009, 11:03 PM
Player's Player - Adam Goodes

BeeEmmAre
11th September 2009, 11:48 PM
Best Clubman - Michael O'Loughlin!!! Onya Mickey O

A swans fan
11th September 2009, 11:55 PM
Congrats to all the winners.

And thanks for the updates BeeEmmAre.

ugg
12th September 2009, 12:20 AM
ROK is the winner!

O'Keefe named Club Champion - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/84576/default.aspx)

gossipcom
12th September 2009, 12:20 AM
I know who won it but I'm not sure if you want to know without the finite details, etc.

Nevermind posted same time as ugg. Congrats ROK, Shaw and Kirk on their Top 3 spots. :)

ROK - 528 votes
Shaw - 453 votes
Kirk - 421 votes

ugg
12th September 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks gossip. Goodes finished 5th. Will probably win the Brownlow now :)

gossipcom
12th September 2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks gossip. Goodes finished 5th. Will probably win the Brownlow now :)
Well he likes being in that Top 5 spot in our B&F and then excelling at the Brownlow, so go Goodes!. :)

BeeEmmAre
12th September 2009, 12:39 AM
Yes, well done ROK. A fantastic effort. My mate on the inside was Benny and the Jets, so thanks to him, but he's probably 'enjoyed' the night a bit much because the phone went quiet after the last message about Mickey O!

shaun..
12th September 2009, 12:56 AM
GW ROK, at least the coaches rate his game

SimonH
12th September 2009, 01:18 AM
Kieren Jack finished seventh (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/84576/default.aspx)! My impression is that he'll be lucky to finish in the first 15 in the TLM. Which indicates that while he's not generally flashy or in newspaper 'best' lists, the coaches are well pleased with him for consistently playing his role in the team. Good on you, young man.

Surprised to see McVeigh finish as low as 6th; I think his 2008 was somewhat overrated by the club, and his 2009 underrated. Perhaps the BSM rewards consistency more than brilliance, but McVeigh's really hurt opponents, and as a result been seriously tagged, in 2009 significantly more than in any previous year.

gossipcom
12th September 2009, 01:41 AM
McVeigh missed a number of games this year with injuries, he only played 18, so it's not surprising he finished out of the Top 5.

Bloody Hell
12th September 2009, 02:31 AM
FINAL VOTES
1. Ryan O'Keefe 528 points
2. Rhyce Shaw 453 points
3. Brett Kirk 421 points
4. Darren Jolly 415 points
5. Adam Goodes 394 points
6. Jarrad McVeigh 366 points
7. Kieren Jack 346 points
8. Martin Mattner 330 points
9. Heath Grundy 318 points
10. Jude Bolton 306 points

Grundy Top 10 finish!

Congratulations.

O'Keefe wins Sydney Swans' best and fairest - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84603/default.aspx)

liz
12th September 2009, 06:34 AM
I think the one on that list who surprises me the most is Jude - how low he is, that is.

I thought he'd had his best season in a while, yet he's finished lower than in most recent years.

And while Craig B did drop off a bit after his fine start, I thought he'd still scrape into the top 10. Indeed, I thought both he and LRT had better seasons than Mattner.

Congrats to ROK. Vindication for a fine season.

gossipcom
12th September 2009, 07:55 AM
Agree with you Liz about Jude being low. Thought he'd be higher, Bolton, McVeigh and LRT in the end were all hampered by the matches they missed, I think if they hadn't missed any they probably would all have been higher, plus Craig B didn't seem as confident when he returned from his knee injury, not sure if he was worried he'd reinjure it, etc.

Albert Park
12th September 2009, 09:19 AM
I knew it the moment I first saw him stroll around the SCG with his socks around his ankles,. What an engine , what a work rate , what a champion, and always with a smile.

Rino , soon to be the new spiritual leader

My first and last post for an otherwise forgettable season
Roll on 2010

CureTheSane
12th September 2009, 09:20 AM
I think the one on that list who surprises me the most is Jude - how low he is, that is.

I thought he'd had his best season in a while, yet he's finished lower than in most recent years.

Probably should have finished higher this year, but probably should have finished lower in other years.

Primmy
12th September 2009, 09:35 AM
The whole night was like being in the middle of a theatrical performance. Different from previous years but it had its own mark.

Just as a bit of entertainment for those of you who were unable to make it.

. The setup was so well thought out. Red, with red lights, red curtains, stands of red gladdy's dotted about (and moved by request when the humungous screens were in play), and the table flowers this year were different. Bunches of red flowers for the tables, not the same on each one.

. The wine was oh so good, and the waite staff extremely enthusiastic about filling your glass and replacing the bottles! Even the water jugs were replenished without being asked.

. Menu - delectable crab mouse on the best collection of little bits I can remember - veal nut with asparagus, dutch carrots and a semolina thingy - fruit flan thingy.

. The inspired choice of Adam Spencer as MC kept the guys performing at their best in front of the microphone. A man born to the job.

. Entertaining moment with Jesse being unable to get himself into his suit coat with any degree of competency. He speaks well.

. Nick Smiff seemed a bit stunned to be up on stage, and not used to the limelight yet.

. Reg is never going to be a entertainer, but he is solid and I think pretty happy with his 'most improved' status.

. Adam Goodes as Players Player was very well received. He is a fine speaker, I see corporate or politics in the future. He has grown into his Club Captain status very well, and I withdraw any negative observations I have made in the past. I enjoyed listening to him speak. Like a statesman......am I overstating it? No, don't think so. He is a bit of class.

. They farewelled Barry Hall, who yes Virginia was there in the sharpest of quality suits. He was met with great affection by everyone, including all the players. His highlights tape was outstanding. He gave us everything and obviously regards us all with great affection. He is a class act and ultimately a gentleman, through and through.

. Fossy was also given a highlights which showed just how much I miss the man. He is still overseas and doesn't touch down until tomorrow! timing Fossy, timing. He must have been on October longweekend expectation.

. Roosy said they were not going to farewell Tadgh, yet......just enough to keep us gossipers high hopes, well, high!

. They highlighted Crouchy's contribution to the club, outside of playing. It was outstanding. Typical Crouchy. Heaps going on behind the scenes that he just gets on with. Apparently he took on the likes of Andrew D (can't remember what that was about - anyone?) !

. Leo is a funny man and a great cuddler. His highlight reel was a truly soaring one. He has great comic timing, like his marking. Had us roaring. He was almost crying. And don't tell me that its just "one week at a time". There are obviously some clubs they just love coming up against...and don't rate.

. Micky is a natural standup comedian, his timing and delivery is so entertaining, no wonder he is held up as the man who lights up the club when he is there. His highlights were frightenly good. Cried. He also made a "marriage proposal" to Emma, which had everyone cheering, but Adam Spencer announced that it wasn't a legal proposal......who cares, they are 'married' and Mick loves her. His view of his world is absolutely wonderful

. Third B&F Brett talked and talked. He is very easy to listen to and to watch. I think he is proud of himself and of us all.

. Second B&F Rhyce Shaw has finally won me over - not just as a player but as a character. "@@@@ Aye!" will probably go down in the annuls of CC Speeches as the making of his speaking career. He then went on to entertain us with his thanks and observations about the people and the Club. If they handed Collingwood back to him on a platter, I doubt he would entertain the notion. The man is a Swan from the inside now, not just the jumper he wears. Also, he is easy to chat to, he and Mal make a terrible twosome together. Oh and he has been voted in to the leadership group.

. At last, Peb, Rhyno, Ryan O'Keefe gets the accolades he deserves. He has also become a father this week, so he was flying and hasn't landed yet, and in 18 years time we have another father/son combo (I checked that with him, and he just beamed). He did the job the coaches asked him to do, and Roosy did say it took him a bit to get used to the new position. We may not have seen/rated everything he was doing, but the coaches did and rated him very highly. Mention was made that he looked to be traded, but that was the end of it the moment it was seen it wasn't going to happen. I don't think he is a natural public speaker, but he was a very very happy man.

. Big NOTE: Mike Pyke polled on I think 3 separate occasions, and above other teammates.....so if the coaches are happy....

After the last speech was made, they let us loose. It was a midnight start, much later than usual, for the photos and cuddles and etc. They are a very happy bunch of boys, some very shy, some boisterous (do I hear any nominations - can you possibly guess who I mean), some who were pretty pleased with themselves last year had different attitudes this year. More aware of what is required to be an elite player, perhaps a little less sure that it was a natural right. Mike Pyke is a surprisingly reserved man. He is also huge. Daniel Hannerbery is a bright spark and no he is not reserved, shy, on the rim. He is right in the mix. No wonder he slotted in so satisfactorily.

In general I found the boys generous, happy, crumpled, soberish and not so sober. It was a good night. And they are a good mob.

satchmopugdog
12th September 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Primmy ..not as good as being there but almost...good writing and creating of atmosphere.

Primmy
12th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Primmy ..not as good as being there but almost...good writing and creating of atmosphere.

Thanks Satch; I have added a couple of bits more, its a bit of a read isn't it! Better start my day doing Saturday things now....:)

Claret
12th September 2009, 10:03 AM
Is it possible to bet on Club B&F's?

Gary Lyon let it slip at 7.12pm last night on MMM that ROK had won the Sydney Best and Fairest ahead of Shaw. The other guys were giving it to him for the next 5 minutes - you probably had to be there (or at least hear it) but it was very very funny.

Primmy
12th September 2009, 10:55 AM
How could I forget, Cynthia Banham was at the Event, and so was the gentleman whos name I have forgotten, who was a survivor of the 9/11 attack, and the only Australian at present living in Australia who was involved and survived. It was the 11/9 (Australian calender) anniversary.

Just thought you would like to know.

j s
12th September 2009, 11:00 AM

Gary Lyon let it slip at 7.12pm last night on MMM that ROK had won the Sydney Best and Fairest ahead of Shaw. The other guys were giving it to him for the next 5 minutes - you probably had to be there (or at least hear it) but it was very very funny.
I wouldn't think so - club voting systems wouldn't have the necessary security processes in place to satisfy betting requirements. Too much risk of insider betting.

Presumably the media gets told before the evening starts so they can write their articles, prepare reports etc but are not supposed to make it public till later. GL was obviously a bit naughty

Big Al
12th September 2009, 12:09 PM
I won't try to match Primmy's eloquent description of the night suffice to say that it was spot on. Well done Primmy!

It was a wonderful night with tears and laughter being shared in equal doses throughout the evening.

A personal highlight for me was shaking Magic's hand and getting a photo. For that matter all the players were wonderful and accomodating with all the fans that approached them.

It's nights like these that reconfirm why we love this club.

Now I just have to go and do something about this hangover. :D

rojo
12th September 2009, 01:08 PM
The whole night was like being in the middle of a theatrical performance. Different from previous years but it had its own mark.

Just as a bit of entertainment for those of you who were unable to make it.

. The setup was so well thought out. Red, with red lights, red curtains, stands of red gladdy's dotted about (and moved by request when the humungous screens were in play), and the table flowers this year were different. Bunches of red flowers for the tables, not the same on each one.

. The wine was oh so good, and the waite staff extremely enthusiastic about filling your glass and replacing the bottles! Even the water jugs were replenished without being asked.

. Menu - delectable crab mouse on the best collection of little bits I can remember - veal nut with asparagus, dutch carrots and a semolina thingy - fruit flan thingy.

. The inspired choice of Adam Spencer as MC kept the guys performing at their best in front of the microphone. A man born to the job.

. Entertaining moment with Jesse being unable to get himself into his suit coat with any degree of competency. He speaks well.

. Nick Smiff seemed a bit stunned to be up on stage, and not used to the limelight yet.

. Reg is never going to be a entertainer, but he is solid and I think pretty happy with his 'most improved' status.

. Adam Goodes as Players Player was very well received. He is a fine speaker, I see corporate or politics in the future. He has grown into his Club Captain status very well, and I withdraw any negative observations I have made in the past. I enjoyed listening to him speak. Like a statesman......am I overstating it? No, don't think so. He is a bit of class.

. They fairwelled Barry Hall, who yes Virginia was there in the sharpest of quality suits. He was met with great affection by everyone, including all the players. His highlights tape was outstanding. He gave us everything and obviously regards us all with great affection. He is a class act and ultimately a gentleman, through and through.

. Fossy was also given a highlights which showed just how much I miss the man. He is still overseas and doesn't touch down until tomorrow! timing Fossy, timing. He must have been on October longweekend expectation.

. Roosy said they were not going to farewell Tadhg, yet......just enough to keep us gossipers high hopes, well, high!

. They highlighted Crouchy's contribution to the club, outside of playing. It was outstanding. Typical Crouchy. Heaps going on behind the scenes that he just gets on with. Apparently he took on the likes of Andrew D (can't remember what that was about - anyone?) !

. Leo is a funny man and a great cuddler. His highlight reel was a truly soaring one. He has great comic timing, like his marking. Had us roaring. He was almost crying. And don't tell me that its just "one week at a time". there are obviously some clubs they just love coming up against...and don't rate.

. Micky is a natural standup comedian, his timing and delivery is so entertaining, no wonder he is held up as the man who lights up the club when he is there. His highlights was frightenly good. Cried. He also made a "marriage proposal" to Emma, which had everyone cheering, but Adam Spencer announced that it wasn't a legal proposal......who cares, they are 'married' and Mick loves her. His view of his world is absolutely wonderful

. Third B&F Brett talked and talked. He is very easy to listen to and to watch. I think he is proud of himself and of us all.

. Second B&F Rhyce Shaw has finally won me over - not just as a player but as a character. "@@@@ Aye!" will probably go down in the annuls of CC Speaches as the making of his speaking career. He then went on to entertain us with his thanks and observations about the people and the Club. If they handed Collingwood back to him on a platter, I doubt he would entertain the notion. The man is a Swan from the inside now, not just the jumper he wears. Also, he is easy to chat to, he and Mal make a terrible twosome together. Oh and he has been voted in to the leadership group.

. At last, Peb, Rhyno, Ryan O'Keefe gets the accolades he deserves. He has also become a father this week, so he was flying and hasn't landed yet, and in 18 years time we have another father/son combo (I checked that with him, and he just beamed). He did the job the coaches asked him to do, and Roosy did say it took him a bit to get used to the new position. We may not have seen/rated everything he was doing, but the coaches did and rated him very highly. Mention was made that he looked to be traded, but that was the end of it the moment it was seen it wasn't going to happen. I don't think he is a natural public speaker, but he was a very very happy man.

. Big NOTE: Mike Pyke polled on I think 3 separate occasions, and above other teammates.....so if the coaches are happy....

After the last speach was made, they let us loose. It was a midnight start, much later than usual, for the photos and cuddles and etc. They are a very happy bunch of boys, some very shy, some boisterous (do I hear any nominations - can you possibly guess who I mean), some who were pretty pleased with themselves last year had different attitudes this year. More aware of what is required to be an elite player, perhaps a little less sure that it was a natural right. Mike Pyke is a surprisingly reserved man. He is also huge. Daniel Hannerbery is a bright spark and no he is not reserved, shy, on the rim. He is right in the mix. No wonder he slotted in so satisfactorily.

In general I found the boys generous, happy, crumpled, soberish and not so sober. It was a good night. And they are a good mob.

Thanks so much Primmy. Greatly appreciated. Did you notice Ed there and if so sad or happy? I am nervous that he might be given the flick!!

Primmy
12th September 2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much Primmy. Greatly appreciated. Did you notice Ed there and if so sad or happy? I am nervous that he might be given the flick!!

Sorry mate, I did not see Ed...and I was looking. Anyone?

Midfield
12th September 2009, 01:42 PM
Congratulations to ROK, he deserved a B & F and is a champion of this club. Selfishly i?m glad he stayed. I also hope he can take out the big one that is the TLM.

Primmy
12th September 2009, 02:00 PM
Congratulations to ROK, he deserved a B & F and is a champion of this club. Selfishly i?m glad he stayed. I also hope he can take out the big one that is the TLM.

I agree with you, but I think not and it wouldn't be his fault. I think he was doing a job that the coaches appreciated, and that we in general didn't notice as much. I think perhaps Goodsey will be the TLM sentimental favourite. Still waiting with BATed breath.....and I am signing off the for day. Too much computer, not enough kitchen floors etc.

stellation
12th September 2009, 02:05 PM
I wonder what a reigning club B&F winner could attract at the trade table... ;)

ugg
12th September 2009, 02:29 PM

Only before Round 1.

dimelb
12th September 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Primmy - a really good read. And I know it wasn't the main event but I noted the comments about Mighty Mike and was pleased.

573v30
12th September 2009, 03:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ROK!!! :adore :adore :adore

Wardy
12th September 2009, 03:43 PM
I won't try to match Primmy's eloquent description of the night suffice to say that it was spot on. Well done Primmy!

It was a wonderful night with tears and laughter being shared in equal doses throughout the evening.

A personal highlight for me was shaking Magic's hand and getting a photo. For that matter all the players were wonderful and accomodating with all the fans that approached them.

It's nights like these that reconfirm why we love this club.

Now I just have to go and do something about this hangover. :D

Well said both Primmy & Al (who scrubbed up very well too I might add!):D .

what a fantastic night - there was alot of love in the room.

It all went off without a hitch and I really enjoyed Richard Colless's dig when Cathy Marney (the cheersquad leader) received a very well deserved life membership. Richy said that we didnt need "some white haired dickhead like Collingwood have" to show our strength and Cathy said that she didnt own a gold sparkly jacket either, needless to say the crowd went wild!

But to all the winners - it was just so special.

Reece Shaw won those hearts that were still a bit undecided - he worked the room well.

We ran a sweep at our table and none of us had chosen Ryan (sorry Rok) so seeing as no one won we are donating our money to the Glenn McGrath foundation.

It was really terrific to catch up with Lovely RWOers, Annie H, Big Al & Go Swannies - sorry Primmy I didnt know where you were - or would know where to start looking - but in your honour I took the arrangement of Gladdy's from my table home. I'm even proud that I didnt lose my shoes this year - unlike 2005.

Got to have a photo with Micky O & Sir Bobby Skilton (who has a fabulous tan) but my absolute fave - and I can safely say that this would have been the very last photo taken at a Swans function - of Barry Hall. Yes Barry & Me out the front of the convention centre heading to the cab rank. had a chat to him and his girlfriend (she's really lovely) wished him luck and off they went into the future. So finally after 8 years I have a photo of me and my fave player who also happens to share the same birthday as me!! And I'm glad the club sent him off with a fitting tribute - so my faith in the club has been restored.

But like Al, am feeling somewhat hungover, but oh so glad that I got the opportunity to attend.

If any of you havent done it before - start saving now - a B & F dinner is a night you wont forget in a hurry.

And I must thank the boys at QBE for inviting me this year, very generous of them and a bloody good time had by all!

I think I might head to Club Swans on grandfinal day.

cheer cheer.

Cardinal
12th September 2009, 03:59 PM
Too much to hear abou. I'm going to this function next year.

Another bloody trip up the freeway. And I'm bringing my copy of In The Blood to get signed.

TheHood
12th September 2009, 04:16 PM

And while Craig B did drop off a bit after his fine start, I thought he'd still scrape into the top 10. Indeed, I thought both he and LRT had better seasons than Mattner.

Congrats to ROK. Vindication for a fine season.

Completely agree with all those observations. I guess Marty had 2 very memorable games. That tackle and That sealing goal.

Kieran Jack certainly polled well. I was most surprised by that placing. That should set him up for a very confident 2010.

Triple B
12th September 2009, 04:35 PM
Good read Primmy, thx.

Mid 90's I used to go to all the functions and the B&F was CLEARLY the best night by far. Season has ended and the players can afford to let their hair down and they all really seem to enjoy the night. I haven't been to the B&F for over 10 years now, but after reading the reviews I may have to save up for next year.

gossipcom
12th September 2009, 04:59 PM
Presumably the media gets told before the evening starts so they can write their articles, prepare reports etc but are not supposed to make it public till later. GL was obviously a bit naughty
Yep they were told prior to 6.30pm because that's when the embargo started for print media, as opposed to radio. :D

Thanks to everyone for recaps, sounds like it was a great evening.

hot potato
12th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Many thanks for painting the terrific word pictures of the B&F night. Sounds like such a class act. Will definitely Rok up next year. Great to get to know the boys better.

HP

giant
12th September 2009, 07:16 PM
Two wonderful feel-good stories in ROK and Rhyce - well done to both of them for fabulous years.

I know I should take my medicine for bagging Shaw - a few on here who should be feeling a tad sheepish after what was said about ROK.

Primmy
12th September 2009, 09:33 PM
Two wonderful feel-good stories in ROK and Rhyce - well done to both of them for fabulous years.

I know I should take my medicine for bagging Shaw - a few on here who should be feeling a tad sheepish after what was said about ROK.

Baaaa

RedRosie
12th September 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Primmy, but I want more..... come on every nitty gritty every conversation, every who sat where. lol. thanks for the lovely post. Hate missing out.

Primmy
13th September 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Primmy, but I want more..... come on every nitty gritty every conversation, every who sat where. lol. thanks for the lovely post. Hate missing out.

OK, as you asked so nicely, but please remember that red wine is involved.

. Rhyce Shaw was a surprise. He is a nice young man, one of the very very few who had his collar done up, tie to the max and coat on and buttoned. Pleasant humerous company. I judge he is glad to be here. His comment on finding his locker was next to BBBs was priceless. "@@@@ myself"
. Nic Malceski has always been a favourite of mine. He is a cuddler and has a refined sense of humour. He still takes pleasure in his fabulously inarticulate and funny speach of 2007. Rhyce said "at least I will remember mine". Obviously it has gone down in legend in the inner circles. Those two look to be cronies for life.
. I like Jake Orreal. He is a gentleman and an easy chatter. His girlfriend is lovely and wore a beautiful one shouldered black dress which was classic. I understand he has another year.
. Jesse has matured into a young man the club can be proud of. I got a great big hug from him, it goes back a long way. He is on or just over the verge of becoming a fine man.
. Matt O'Dwyer is the sort of fella who would be in charge of organising the chook raffel. He gets things sorted out (it was his idea to organise me and five of them to be photographed together with great good humour and efficiency) - Thank you MOD, its the best of the best for the night.
. Peb is a very reserved young man, but he was positively glowing with pride.
. Luke is a handsome man up close. I like him.
. Jared Crouch I didn't see after the main event.
. For a big man, Barry Hall can disappear quietly into the night. Good on him. I cannot say enough about the quiet dignity of the man. He is a credit to us.
. I love Stuey - for those who haven't worked that out yet. From afar these days.
. Leo had us laughing with the tale of his two young boys who have taken to backyard football with a vengence - all the time. He won't be moving far from the club I believe.
. The mail is that that Nathan Gordon has been signed on as a rookie, which suits me just fine.
. Everywhere I looked young blokes were laughing their heads off. A few were boisterous, but all sounded so happy.
. LRT's hair shines in the dark.
. Danerbry seemed to pop up all over the place. He worked the room like he is on the SCG.
. Jude is as gracious as always. For someone as handsome as he is he has very few tickets on himself and always, even if for a fleeting moment, directs his complete attention to you when you say hello.
. Tim Schmidt is a lovely man and I hope like blazes he gets a gig next year with us.
. Looking around and down at one stage I just sighed to myself. You have never seen so many beautiful butts in one place. There I go, I have just disgraced myself.
. Adam is a joy.
. Craig Bolton has the most beautiful skin.

One important thing I haven't made mention of is that they all respect and admire John Longmire. I think they are very very pleased to have him as head honcho in waiting.

There you go, that's enough trite observations for you all.

This is the one event of the year I attend for the usual reasons (financial) but I have loved nearly all Twelve of them. Its my exclamation point to the end of season. And I love it.

Jeffers1984
13th September 2009, 10:29 AM
Heard DOK and Cheese weren't there on the night...could we read more into that?

top40
13th September 2009, 11:31 AM

Let's go back to just after last year's Best and Fairest. It's very early October 2008. It has just been announced on the Fox/cable program "On the Couch" via Gerald Healy that Ryan O'Keefe is leaving the Swans. At the same time Rhyce Shaw still is on the Pies' player List, with no indication that he is going anywhere.

Move ahead about 50 weeks. What odds would you give that in 2009, the Sydney Swan's Best and Fairest would be Ryan O'Keefe, and second place would be Rhyce Shaw?

alison.z
13th September 2009, 12:49 PM
Primmy's posts make my heart swell with pride and happiness at being a swans member!!!

will have to be there next year - can't wait!!!

dimelb
13th September 2009, 01:06 PM
... One important thing I haven't made mention of is that they all respect and admire John Longmire. I think they are very very pleased to have him as head honcho in waiting...
Thanks for your second innings Primmy - another good read. And in view of the mixed reactions to John Longmire's appointment it is very reassuring to note this bit and recall how Paul Roos came to be appointed.

Cher
13th September 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Primmy for a wonderful insight to the night.

Congrats to ROK

Dalai Lama
13th September 2009, 03:32 PM
Shawly Rhyce will follow in Willow and Schaubs's footsteps?

and retire?

Cant turn right
13th September 2009, 03:37 PM
Great read Primmy. Thank you

hot potato
13th September 2009, 03:42 PM
Bawtr ............

Best At Working The Room 2009 Goes To Retired Valuer And Indiginous Art Expert
Primmy!!!
From Up In The Noble!!

Hp

Primmy
13th September 2009, 05:07 PM
Bawtr ............

Best At Working The Room 2009 Goes To Retired Valuer And Indiginous Art Expert
Primmy!!!
From Up In The Noble!!

Hp

Ooohhhh, howd you know!:eek:

RedRosie
13th September 2009, 05:40 PM
Brilliant, thanks Primmy. Love the comments about your observations of the players personal feelings toward the club, made it a feel good Sunday afternoon! :)

Jewels
13th September 2009, 07:12 PM
Heard DOK and Cheese weren't there on the night...could we read more into that?

Don't know what happened to Barlow, but DOK had a bereavement in the family during the week.

ROK Lobster
13th September 2009, 07:13 PM
How did Bevo finish up in the votes?

liz
13th September 2009, 10:00 PM
Don't know what happened to Barlow, but DOK had a bereavement in the family during the week.

Think I read somewhere that Barlow had a post season op - knee I think. So maybe he's recuperating somewhere.

ShockOfHair
13th September 2009, 10:15 PM
Well done ROK.

He obviously doesn't read RWO.

THE SYDNEY Swans? newly anointed club champion, Ryan O?Keefe, says he?s grateful to the supporters who welcomed him with open arms after his failed bid to return to Melbourne.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/84625/default.aspx

reigning premier
14th September 2009, 11:22 AM
Good night. But seriously, they need to have a look at how the votes are awarded. Just so random. Up to 50 votes for as many players as they want?? Come on. In some games there was 14 or more players receiving votes. In others, 6 or less. Way to incionsistent and way to open for "interpretation" by those voting.

Interpretation - See Coaches pets....

Wardy
14th September 2009, 11:26 AM
Good night. But seriously, they need to have a look at how the votes are awarded. Just so random. Up to 50 votes for as many players as they want?? Come on. In some games there was 14 or more players receiving votes. In others, 6 or less. Way to incionsistent and way to open for "interpretation" by those voting.

Interpretation - See Coaches pets....

have to agree there - we couldnt work out what or how the voting system worked - in some games you would have thought there are only about 8 players on the field in total, whereas in others, pretty much everyone was awarded points. Oh well I guess it works for them.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 11:38 AM
As explained on the night, and what they have done for some time now, each coach (five now) give their opinion of every player's performance in a game on a scale of one to ten - that means a player could get anything totalling up to fifty points per game. They also have the right of handing a score of zero if that's their opinion of a player for that game.

Its not a 3 2 1 system.

They judge each player on how they performed their tasks and each coach has an opinion. Only once has a player got a full score for a game, and that was Leo a couple of years ago when there were 4 coaches and it was a game at ANZ against I think West Coast - he blitzed them.

This year the highest number of points was 45 out of 50, to Peb, in one of the last games of the year.

Some of the guys didn't rate at all. Fair enough. But even if they get say 15 points a game, if it is consistent through the year, then the chances are they are more likely to finish in the top section than say a player who gets 30 one week and 5 the next. Its an eminently fair system. And they are hard markers.

Wardy
14th September 2009, 11:47 AM
As explained on the night, and what they have done for some time now, each coach (five now) give their opinion of every player's performance in a game on a scale of one to ten - that means a player could get anything totalling up to fifty points per game. They also have the right of handing a score of zero if that's their opinion of a player for that game.

Its not a 3 2 1 system.

They judge each player on how they performed their tasks and each coach has an opinion. Only once has a player got a full score for a game, and that was Leo a couple of years ago when there were 4 coaches and it was a game at ANZ against I think West Coast - he blitzed them.

This year the highest number of points was 45 out of 50, to Peb, in one of the last games of the year.

Some of the guys didn't rate at all. Fair enough. But even if they get say 15 points a game, if it is consistent through the year, then the chances are they are more likely to finish in the top section than say a player who gets 30 one week and 5 the next. Its an eminently fair system. And they are hard markers.

Well thanks for explaining that - obviously I wasnt listening:eek: and the Gladdies are still alive!

liz
14th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Only once has a player got a full score for a game, and that was Leo a couple of years ago when there were 4 coaches and it was a game at ANZ against I think West Coast - he blitzed them.

It was his game against the Saints at the SCG in 2004 - when he kept Gehrig to about 3 possessions.

I thought Plugger got the maximum once too, though. For his 1998 game against Port when he kicked 12 goals. It was the game PK went down with his ACL injury and someone needed to step up for us to win that game. It was an absolutely awesome display by the big man.

AnnieH
14th September 2009, 12:12 PM
Top night.
Still got a sore head.

Big Al
14th September 2009, 12:30 PM
Well said both Primmy & Al (who scrubbed up very well too I might add!):D .

what a fantastic night - there was alot of love in the room.

It all went off without a hitch and I really enjoyed Richard Colless's dig when Cathy Marney (the cheersquad leader) received a very well deserved life membership. Richy said that we didnt need "some white haired dickhead like Collingwood have" to show our strength and Cathy said that she didnt own a gold sparkly jacket either, needless to say the crowd went wild!

But to all the winners - it was just so special.

Reece Shaw won those hearts that were still a bit undecided - he worked the room well.

We ran a sweep at our table and none of us had chosen Ryan (sorry Rok) so seeing as no one won we are donating our money to the Glenn McGrath foundation.

It was really terrific to catch up with Lovely RWOers, Annie H, Big Al & Go Swannies - sorry Primmy I didnt know where you were - or would know where to start looking - but in your honour I took the arrangement of Gladdy's from my table home. I'm even proud that I didnt lose my shoes this year - unlike 2005.

Got to have a photo with Micky O & Sir Bobby Skilton (who has a fabulous tan) but my absolute fave - and I can safely say that this would have been the very last photo taken at a Swans function - of Barry Hall. Yes Barry & Me out the front of the convention centre heading to the cab rank. had a chat to him and his girlfriend (she's really lovely) wished him luck and off they went into the future. So finally after 8 years I have a photo of me and my fave player who also happens to share the same birthday as me!! And I'm glad the club sent him off with a fitting tribute - so my faith in the club has been restored.

But like Al, am feeling somewhat hungover, but oh so glad that I got the opportunity to attend.

If any of you havent done it before - start saving now - a B & F dinner is a night you wont forget in a hurry.

And I must thank the boys at QBE for inviting me this year, very generous of them and a bloody good time had by all!

I think I might head to Club Swans on grandfinal day.

cheer cheer.

Thanks Wardy I fully agree... I did look good. ;)

Don't let the "Cranky Old Bat" line fool you, Wardy is every bit a lovely lady.

Absolutely loved Magic's speech which had the right mix of emotion and humour. Not entirely sure how he got through it as well as he did because I was blubbering like an idiot.

I reiterate Wardy's comments for those who have never been to an B&F, do yourselves a favour and get along to one because it's not a night you'll forget in a hurry.

reigning premier
14th September 2009, 12:37 PM

Its not a 3 2 1 system.

But they still get to give out as many or as few votes as they like.... i.e. they ccan give 10 lots of 9 votes in one week if they want..... Far to inconsistent. Be much more realistic if every coach gave 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 each week.

BSA5
14th September 2009, 01:04 PM
It was his game against the Saints at the SCG in 2004 - when he kept Gehrig to about 3 possessions.

I thought Plugger got the maximum once too, though. For his 1998 game against Port when he kicked 12 goals. It was the game PK went down with his ACL injury and someone needed to step up for us to win that game. It was an absolutely awesome display by the big man.

Macca got full marks last year against the Dogs, didn't he?

Primmy
14th September 2009, 01:08 PM
But they still get to give out as many or as few votes as they like.... i.e. they ccan give 10 lots of 9 votes in one week if they want..... Far to inconsistent. Be much more realistic if every coach gave 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 each week.

No its not. That pits the boys against each other, best on ground etc. Thats not what this is about. This method pits them against themselves, how they lived up to the job they were given on the day. They have five judges, each with their own opinion and score, and then its totalled. Cannot be fairer than that IMO. And after all, we are talking about the Coaches being the judge. Who else would you suggest?

If the boys play a crap game, it could be that only six of them get votes; and they may have been the ones that carried the others. Votes are not given if you did not put in as it became evident on the night. It was all there to see, except for the lowest of the low, and they spared the players the embarrassment of being "named and shamed" peformance wise. As I said before, they got zero votes if they were not deemed to have been puting in. Even Adam and Kirky got low votes some games. You could see the boys who had consistent years and the ones who got better as the year went on and the ones who were all over the place. Fascinating.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 01:09 PM

I bow to the best memory in the business.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 01:12 PM
Well thanks for explaining that - obviously I wasnt listening:eek: and the Gladdies are still alive!

No worries, and go Gladdies!!!

I have a lovely photo of a little lady with Ted, who had scooped up a couple of complete table decorations into what looked like a purloined serviette. I was wondering if I should change my avatar to this lovely bunch of flowers, but I am kind of fond of the one I already have. Decisions decisions

Wardy
14th September 2009, 01:37 PM
No worries, and go Gladdies!!!

I have a lovely photo of a little lady with Ted, who had scooped up a couple of complete table decorations into what looked like a purloined serviette. I was wondering if I should change my avatar to this lovely bunch of flowers, but I am kind of fond of the one I already have. Decisions decisions

well that is why my host (in his drunken state) got the gladdies out of the vase for me - I said I had to do it in honour of a lady "I kind of know" - so I did it for Ms Primmy!!!

AnnieH
14th September 2009, 01:43 PM
well that is why my host (in his drunken state) got the gladdies out of the vase for me - I said I had to do it in honour of a lady "I kind of know" - so I did it for Ms Primmy!!!

Took the flowers out of the vase!!! You're kidding right?? Should have done what I did ... take one of each arrangement home. Got one of the round ones that had the tulips in it and one of the square ones with the waratahs.

I know the florist who did the arrangements ... she said to make sure I took one home because the vases were "good" ones. I'm glad I did - the staff were divvying up the flowers!!!

Wardy
14th September 2009, 01:49 PM
Took the flowers out of the vase!!! You're kidding right?? Should have done what I did ... take one of each arrangement home. Got one of the round ones that had the tulips in it and one of the square ones with the waratahs.

I know the florist who did the arrangements ... she said to make sure I took one home because the vases were "good" ones. I'm glad I did - the staff were divvying up the flowers!!!

Oh damn it!!! but then again - I was in no condition to carry a big glass vase, I 'd have dropped it for sure. - As it was it was hard enough manouvering the gladdies without pokeing people in the eyes:D I would have loved the tulips though - my fave flower and all.

So kids start saving for next year.

Big Al
14th September 2009, 02:41 PM

From memory I nearly scored those very same gladdies... must have been the suit. :p

Wardy
14th September 2009, 02:42 PM
From memory I nearly scored those very same gladdies... must have been the suit. :p

you promised you wouldn't tell!!!;)

Big Al
14th September 2009, 02:48 PM
you promised you wouldn't tell!!!;)

I promise a lots of things under the influence...:p

Wardy
14th September 2009, 02:50 PM
I promise a lots of things under the influence...:p

Dont we all!!:D ;)

Swannette
14th September 2009, 02:59 PM
No computer all weekend, so at last I get to join in on the reflections of a fabulous night. Top stuff from Primmy and Wardy et al (Big Al too!), so nothing to add, in part because I can't remember!! Oh god, I hate it when the wine flows far too freely and I can't say no and the next thing you know I have a terrible hangover and its all over for another year.

But yes, absolutely the best function on the swans calendar so do yourself a favour and come along next year.

Many highlights for me, Rhyce Shaw's opening line a classic, speaking to the very personable and confident Dan Hannebury another. Got a kiss from Mickey (yae) and a few minutes with Stuey where I rambled about something, what a lovely lovely man he is. Darren Jolly is also a keeper, so so nice and I told him he was robbed by not being on the AA list - he agreed!! Marty is off to LA, Vegas etc to lose a few bucks (probably), LRT is staying home (again - loves his family that boy) and Ed was absent because of a leg operation.

Myles was the first to cry and his speech was full of thanks for his parents who had made the trip over from the west. They were outed as Eagles fans (to a chorus of jovial boos) who happen to also have swans memberships, but Myles has realised he has had little impact on them cause when he goes home he sees that the caps still have cardboard inside!!

Not sure who the new #1 ticket holders were this year but they were an older couple (again), have been or still are sponsors (ditto), the bloke made the speech (unsurprising), which this year was a bit boring and a bit long. Is a good move to rotate it, but someone with a bit more pizzaz and a slightly different demographic might give the role a bit more impact.

Adam Spencer is certainly born to interview as previously said. He worked hard for his dosh on Friday night and really added a lot I thought.

And perhaps one new reflection is that much was said about 'the swans family'. Think that started with Myles, went to Richard and then possibly onto others (memory fades here) but a little like the concept of 'the bloods' the notion of 'the swans family' was heavily emphasised. I for one love all that stuff and its one of the main reasons I love this club.

See ya cousins

Wardy
14th September 2009, 03:09 PM
Cousin Swannette - so glad you too thought the new number 1 ticket holder went on for a bit too long - we need someone with a bit more profile (like pretty much every other club has) no offence to the lovely couple (who's names escape me) but how's about David Wenham - or Adam Spencer for that matter (he got the gig because the usual MC, Craig Willis was in Melbourne with his Julie Anthony National Anthem tape at the Dogs Lions game;) )We have loads of high profile members - so lets use em!!!

And I did like that white wine, perhaps a bit too much - @@@@ happens I guess! But am searching for a recipe for the Spanner Crab Stack that was superb, I could whip that up for a dinner party thats for sure. Anyway it was all good - oh well until next year!
love & hugs
Cousin Wardy

Young Blood
14th September 2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Primmy, great reports

Primmy
14th September 2009, 04:41 PM
You do realise that next year it will be the retiring of our Coach Roos, and my tip is if he goes then so will Kirky. Not a dry eye in the house. Sold out in fifty seconds flat. I've already got a dollar in my red box.

Lucky Knickers
14th September 2009, 05:46 PM
I went to the ladies in the Nbr 1 ticket holder speech, however, I am going to disagree with some calling for a "name". I'd much prefer this honour was provided to someone with a long standing membership and financial support for club and it's associated charities and Swans foundation. Although Adam Spencer would be a fine choice given how available he is the Swans.

It was a great night and spanner crab stack with it's cheeky macadamia nut was a treat.

Had a lovely chat with my best chum Matt Laidlaw and a big "you're tops" moment with Crouchy. He cracked me up going around kissing all the boys. What a star.

And have to agree on what a gorgeous chap Tim Schmidt is. Lovely lovely lovely man.

I think I spoke to Micky O again but it was a bit hazy. Probably along the lines of "fanks...I love you...don't go.....you're tops......don't go......" . One thing that did surprise me was there was no Magic butt cheek in his highlight reel.

Some of my photo's are hysterically tragic. I gave up trying to take the long range shot to the stage and just started snapping the big screens. There are also heaps of the flower arrangements, and a still life of the menu, my seating card and glasses of red and white wine (I think I was trying to be Des or something).

I spent all Sat and Sun horizontal in recovery position - that wine was dangerous.

AnnieH
14th September 2009, 05:48 PM
I went to the ladies in the Nbr 1 ticket holder speech, however, I am going to disagree with some calling for a "name". I'd much prefer this honour was provided to someone with a long standing membership and financial support for club and it's associated charities and Swans foundation. Although Adam Spencer would be a fine choice given how available he is the Swans.

It was a great night and spanner crab stack with it's cheeky macadamia nut was a treat.

Had a lovely chat with my best chum Matt Laidlaw and a big "you're tops" moment with Crouchy. He cracked me up going around kissing all the boys. What a star.

And have to agree on what a gorgeous chap Tim Schmidt is. Lovely lovely lovely man.

I think I spoke to Micky O again but it was a bit hazy. Probably along the lines of "fanks...I love you...don't go.....you're tops......don't go......" . One thing that did surprise me was there was no Magic butt cheek in his highlight reel.

Some of my photo's are hysterically tragic. I gave up trying to take the long range shot to the stage and just started snapping the big screens. There are also heaps of the flower arrangements, and a still life of the menu, my seating card and glasses of red and white wine (I think I was trying to be Des or something).

I spent all Sat and Sun horizontal in recovery position - that wine was dangerous.

You were there???? And you never came and said hello?????
Goodness gracious.

Lucky Knickers
14th September 2009, 06:04 PM
You were there???? And you never came and said hello?????
Goodness gracious.
Don't hold it against me! I didn't wear my glasses so even if you were on my table I probably couldn't see you! I also had the "shoes of fabulousness" on which precluded walking anywhere very far.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 06:16 PM
Don't hold it against me! I didn't wear my glasses so even if you were on my table I probably couldn't see you! I also had the "shoes of fabulousness" on which precluded walking anywhere very far.

I have graduated to shoes of laceup, which enables one to scoot around the tables with as little dignity as once can get away with. When you have to sit as long as we did shoes of fabulousness are a bit wasted in the strategic movement required by the truly unruly.

Aren't those boys patient. I had a horrible moment when I realised I was comforably in the age group of mother. I don't know whether to be depressed or elated that I can get away with murder!

RedRosie
14th September 2009, 06:19 PM

I had a feeling that more would come out of the vase, I mean wash, that was so funny, you ladies (and Al) certainly know how to have a good time. I'm cracking up just reading it. :D

Swannette
14th September 2009, 06:21 PM
Aren't those boys patient. I had a horrible moment when I realised I was comforably in the age group of mother. I don't know whether to be depressed or elated that I can get away with murder!

Ha ha ha, fantastic comment, I can relate entirely. Go elation!

AnnieH
14th September 2009, 08:03 PM

Bless. I even managed to walk back across Darling Harbour in my shoes of fabulousness. Although, I should have emptied the water out of the floral arrangements I was carrying. They were bloody heavy!!!

You mentioned the #1 ticket holder speech ... I had a nanna nap and woke only to find that they were still talking.

Next year, I wanna be the #1 ticket holder ... at least the punters won't fall asleep during my 15 mega minutes of fame!!

AnnieH
14th September 2009, 08:06 PM

They were so lovely. Hugs all around!

There was a lot of hugging on the night.

Has anyone mentioned how fabulous Jessie's girl looked? My goodness. I met her whilst powdering our noses and asked (after I told her how great she looked) whether or not she was using hollywood tape to hold up her dress. She laughed and said that her boobies were doing all the work!! Ah ... to be young again and have the boobies working overtime!!!

A real stunner. She got our vote for best dressed WAG.

jenky28
14th September 2009, 08:25 PM
The night was fantastic!
The awards and speechs went forever but it was a really good night. I had the 3 retirees sitting the table infront of me and they seemed to really enjoy it!
Highly reccomend ppl going next yr.
All 3 plan to stay in Sydney apparently so we should see them around!

Kirkari
14th September 2009, 08:31 PM
After the last speech was made, they let us loose. It was a midnight start, much later than usual, for the photos and cuddles and etc. They are a very happy bunch of boys, some very shy, some boisterous (do I hear any nominations - can you possibly guess who I mean), ...

Can I take a wild stab in the dark and nominate the Vesz-President on the "boisterous" front? Last time I saw him, he was posing with a bunch of flowers and about 6 young ladies, having a blast and making their night. Bless his testosterone-filled heart.

Agree with Lucky Knickers that Matt Laidlaw is a top bloke. Hope we keep him in red and white and he plays the way he did in the resies the week he kicked 8 goals!

For some reason, possibly associated with De Bortoli wines, I can't remember who it was that made a very blunt statement about the Swans being a family, but one that you get to choose whether or not to be a part of, and for those who didn't want to live up to the family traditions... well, maybe there are other clubs out there they should support. Nice. But who said it?

jenky28
14th September 2009, 08:35 PM
hahahah it was Crouchy who said it!

Lucky Knickers
14th September 2009, 08:38 PM
When you have to sit as long as we did shoes of fabulousness are a bit wasted in the strategic movement required by the truly unruly.!
Shoes of fabulousness are NEVER wasted! I was happy to keep admiring them on myself when I got a bit bored and distracted but that wasn't often.

Now as for the voting system....at first I was confused because I was expected 5,4,3,2 and 1 vote tradition but you know what? I ended up thinking it was great and the most awesome idea ever! I'm sure this is one straight from Roosy book of "Things to do when I am coach"!

Imagine having to be forced to award points for that absolutely crap game against the Dees or our even more appalling performance for Kirky 200th against Freo!

Primmy
14th September 2009, 09:30 PM
They were so lovely. Hugs all around!

There was a lot of hugging on the night.

Has anyone mentioned how fabulous Jessie's girl looked? My goodness. I met her whilst powdering our noses and asked (after I told her how great she looked) whether or not she was using hollywood tape to hold up her dress. She laughed and said that her boobies were doing all the work!! Ah ... to be young again and have the boobies working overtime!!!

A real stunner. She got our vote for best dressed WAG.

Was she the lass in the long white with shoestring straps and diagonal black fringe that looked a million? Had my vote.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 09:37 PM
Bless. I even managed to walk back across Darling Harbour in my shoes of fabulousness. Although, I should have emptied the water out of the floral arrangements I was carrying. They were bloody heavy!!
Annie I can see you are not a veterin floral centrepiece removal expert. One always finds a way to tip water out, otherwise it finds its way down your frock and into your shoes or sloshing over the floor of your car. Our table arrangement was so heavy looking I decided to retain the vestages of dignity I had left after Bertoli took a hand and leave well enough alone. That and the fact that my "lift" was a mercedes, I just wasn't game.

Primmy
14th September 2009, 09:54 PM
Can I take a wild stab in the dark and nominate the Vesz-President on the "boisterous" front? Last time I saw him, he was posing with a bunch of flowers and about 6 young ladies, having a blast and making their night. Bless his testosterone-filled heart.
Yep. Plus a scattering of Meredith, Braba, Danerbry, Curry, MOD, there was a lot of giggling going on. godlovem

j s
15th September 2009, 12:20 AM
(I think I was trying to be Des or something)
You'd need a suitcase full of camera gear to do that.

EMJ
15th September 2009, 12:26 AM
A wow of a night - that white wine was oh so good. A few bottles consumed by me it was just wonderful. Managed to remove some gladdies and a vase of waratahs too.
they are really looking good at home.
All the players were so friendly and ready to have photos taken and enjoy the night with the fans.

Food pretty good - our waiters were not so ready to replenish the wine and only allowed one ice bucket per table - pretty slack.

Shaw was brilliant with speech and after talking to him at the Guernsey presentation it was clear he was happy to be in Sydney. So good on him for joining the leadership group. I thought he might of almost pipped O'Keefe maybe next year he is Best and Fairest.

Wardy
15th September 2009, 08:14 AM

yes the shoes of fabulousness worn on the night were not only high (for me that is) but they were actually quite comfortable - still took the precaution of tapeing every toe in case of blisters! and they were not the type one could slip off under the table (like the shoes I lost in '05). My toes didnt resemble the shape of cashews by the time I got home either.

Have to say though some of the WAGS looked stunning - although I saw one girl in a tiny gold number and immediately thought "my she will catch a chill in that hanky she's wearing" cant recall who she belonged too though. However, she carried it off well and I felt 100 years old (and vv jealous:D )!. But in all there were none of the outrageous flimsy numbers like what some of the WAGS wore to the 25th Anniversary dinner.

I had a scan of the room (on the way back from the ladies) and noticed that only 5 tables had the gladdies and it all looked a bit random, effective, but random - I didnt realise that the flowers were all different on the other tables. But My host (who looks like the elder statemen from the band ZZ Top) just whipped the entire arrangement out of the vase and handed it over.

I was lucky that I was at a table that had 8 blokes and only one other woman - the other woman was on the other side and obscured by the vase and flowers, so I only said hello at the beginning and I didnt even see her leave early (obviously not a real fan!) - but I had a great time with the chaps I was with.

The waiters kept filling my glass even without my asking - they just appeared - now thats what I call service!!!

Although I'm surprised that they didnt have any of Crouchy's vino on for everyone to try.

Missed out on the bubbles in the beginining as my hosts got there late and I didnt want to look like Nellie no friends standing in the corner throwing a few glasses back. So I wandered around a bit.

and Primmy you are right - to look at some of the young lads - I realised that I too am old enough to be their mother - Oh my god!!!

but I have to say it was right up there with the '05 night - sure we hadnt got to the finals - but the room was lovely and the crowd were really up beat - did they end up having a band on & some dancing??

AnnieH
16th September 2009, 10:50 AM
No band. No dancing.
At the end of the night the staff were like the riot police ... in a line starting from the front of the room pushing the punters out towards the back.

Wardy
16th September 2009, 10:52 AM
No band. No dancing.
At the end of the night the staff were like the riot police ... in a line starting from the front of the room pushing the punters out towards the back.

I couldnt understand why there was a drum kit on the stage if there wasnt going to be dancing - unless they were going to have some music, then decided to can it at the last minute.

AnnieH
16th September 2009, 11:06 AM
I couldnt understand why there was a drum kit on the stage if there wasnt going to be dancing - unless they were going to have some music, then decided to can it at the last minute.

Maybe they were planning a drum roll for announcing the winner!!

j s
16th September 2009, 11:30 AM
It's been said that the formal part finished very late - so perhaps that's exactly what did happen - though I don't remember any dancing at the 2005 do either.

As for the riot squad room clearing technique - they did that also at the round 22 Chairmans do (at midnight).

Wardy
16th September 2009, 11:36 AM
It's been said that the formal part finished very late - so perhaps that's exactly what did happen - though I don't remember any dancing at the 2005 do either.

As for the riot squad room clearing technique - they did that also at the round 22 Chairmans do (at midnight).

there was dancing at the 2005 do - on that patch of wood outside the main room - it was like everyone playing Twister and trying to get a spot on it, it was so small.

Oh well here's to next year - I doubt I will get another freeby so the saving starts now!

AnnieH
16th September 2009, 11:44 AM
It wasn't that expensive a night.
$198 for members. That was great value.
The food was great and by all accounts the vino was special.

Wardy
16th September 2009, 11:48 AM

No thats not expensive at all (but hey I never knock back a freeby)- just helping by encouraging others to get started saving so as they can have a hoot of a night like we did.

I will of course need to save for another pair of "shoes of fabulousness" however and a new frock!!!:D

Primmy
16th September 2009, 11:56 AM
I must admit the frock watch starts from the next series of sales. I canNOT wear the same thing again!

I do find the night expensive, but we all exist within different financial stratospheres. I have thought in the past of calling it a day, but cannot abide the thought of missing out.

No dancing this year didn't worry me. There was plenty to occupy me all night. :D

Wardy
16th September 2009, 12:03 PM
I must admit the frock watch starts from the next series of sales. I canNOT wear the same thing again! :D

Too right sister!!!

Big Al
16th September 2009, 02:29 PM
I must admit the frock watch starts from the next series of sales. I canNOT wear the same thing again!

Too right sister!!!

Think I'll go with the Charcoal suit again next year...

Wardy
16th September 2009, 02:34 PM
Think I'll go with the Charcoal suit again next year...

A Suave man like yourself Al can stick with the normal regime, we chicks on the other hand have to keep upgrading the threads (not to mention the trowel work with the makeup) each year as we get older!!! :p ;-)

BeeEmmAre
16th September 2009, 04:39 PM

Someone gets paid too much...........

AnnieH
16th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Someone gets paid too much...........

I've spent more on a three course meal and fancy whine in a fancy restaurant.

Wardy
16th September 2009, 04:47 PM

yep and I doubt the restaurant could have provided the atmosphere or the entertainment we had on Friday night. So the B & F is really value for money.

AnnieH
16th September 2009, 05:07 PM
yep and I doubt the restaurant could have provided the atmosphere or the entertainment we had on Friday night. So the B & F is really value for money.

Exactly.

I have shoes that are more expensive.

BeeEmmAre
16th September 2009, 06:35 PM
I reiterate my original statement.
$200 is a bloody lot of money for one function and was the reason I unfortunately had to make the decision to stay home.
I just can't afford it.
And my shoes never cost more than $50.

ROK Lobster
16th September 2009, 07:05 PM
That's sad. :frown

Kirkari
16th September 2009, 08:00 PM
...I do find the night expensive, but we all exist within different financial stratospheres...:D

So true - cheap/expensive is all relative and everyone has different priorities and commitments. If $200 is your total monthly family "spending money" budget, it's an expensive night. If it's your standard Friday night bar tab, it's cheap as chips. Do we really need to fight about it?

It's definitely a great night if you can afford it! If not, the club does provide other options. You can get up close and personal with some of the players for free after each SCG game - this year seemed to usually be Jude and then 2 others - if you go to Club Swans. Family-friendly Q&A session followed by photos and autographs for the kids (big and small) to their heart's content. Not sure what happens at the MA Noble stand. And there's the trivia night at Club Swans for about $40 a head - all the junior players go and get assigned to tables. You get to "keep" your player for half the rounds. I'd be surprised if there aren't more I don't know about.

BSA5
16th September 2009, 09:43 PM

Is that what they call visiting a psychologist these days? :cool:

:o

Primmy
16th September 2009, 10:47 PM
Is that what they call visiting a psychologist these days? :cool:

:o

Oh that denotes someone who is "quick between the ears" :D LOL

Wardy
17th September 2009, 07:46 AM
I reiterate my original statement.
$200 is a bloody lot of money for one function and was the reason I unfortunately had to make the decision to stay home.
I just can't afford it.

Naturally totally appreciate the situation, so please dont think we are being smart or what ever (I couldnt think of a better word, sorry!), far from it - that is why I said "start saving now" say $5 a week until August (when its time to book) and you should be right. I know its easier said than done in some cases, but even if you do it only once in your life - it is so worth it. :) You also get to meet some wonderful new people and catch up with others who you dont get to see that often as well.

BeeEmmAre
17th September 2009, 10:24 AM
No, Wardy, I don't think you're being smart and I'm not really trying to create an argument - it was just a tongue in cheek comment and it's each to their own if they can afford it. Maybe I might try saving up because I'm certain it is a cracker of a night and I'd love to go to one.
Here's a thought: maybe if the Swans don't make the grand final, the $85 we spend on Premiership Club membership could come off the price of a BSM ticket!

ROK - not really, the $49 shoes from Payless last just as long as the $300 Reeboks from a fancy shoe store where you're paying $50 for the shoes and $250 for the logo - I just don't see the need.
And Kirkari - if your standard bar tab is $200 on a night out, I want to have a beer or 10 with you. Your shout of course! :cool:

Jewels
17th September 2009, 11:02 AM
Naturally totally appreciate the situation, so please dont think we are being smart or what ever (I couldnt think of a better word, sorry!), far from it - that is why I said "start saving now" say $5 a week until August (when its time to book) and you should be right. I know its easier said than done in some cases, but even if you do it only once in your life - it is so worth it. :) You also get to meet some wonderful new people and catch up with others who you dont get to see that often as well.

Got to agree Wardy. This was my first B & F but will certainly not be my last, an absolutely brilliant night and worth every penny it cost to attend.

My personal highlight was meeting my favourite footy player (swan or otherwise) of all time - the beautiful Stuart Maxfield. How wonderful it is to meet someone you think so highly of and find them as delightful as you had hoped. A truly lovely and charming human being.

Primmy
17th September 2009, 11:21 AM
Got to agree Wardy. This was my first B & F but will certainly not be my last, an absolutely brilliant night and worth every penny it cost to attend.

My personal highlight was meeting my favourite footy player (swan or otherwise) of all time - the beautiful Stuart Maxfield. How wonderful it is to meet someone you think so highly of and find them as delightful as you had hoped. A truly lovely and charming human being.

I do believe we have agreed on this in the past. Even when he had that tragic stringy long hair I admired the man, and agree he is my favourite footballer of all. Not the greatest, just my favourite. I have targeted him so often in the past I didn't feel I could do so again; this year at least. :) So glad you found him as terrific as I have.

hammo
18th September 2009, 12:26 AM
I do believe we have agreed on this in the past. Even when he had that tragic stringy long hair I admired the man, and agree he is my favourite footballer of all. Not the greatest, just my favourite. I have targeted him so often in the past I didn't feel I could do so again; this year at least. :) So glad you found him as terrific as I have.
I'm sure Stewie is relieved

Primmy
18th September 2009, 09:20 AM
I'm sure Stewie is relieved

What, the stalking or the Stewie Maxfield Appreciation Society is now in session? :p

Jewels
18th September 2009, 10:30 AM
What, the stalking or the Stewie Maxfield Appreciation Society is now in session? :p

Consider me a fully paid up member! :)

hammo
18th September 2009, 11:02 AM

Stalkers. It sounds like he has a few out there...

AnnieH
18th September 2009, 11:07 AM
Stalkers. It sounds like he has a few out there...

Green is so not your colour Hammo!;)

reigning premier
22nd September 2009, 03:55 PM

I saw you Lucky... Briefly... With your friend... And I think Mark Browning was still on the prowl for her too.... ;)

Wardy
22nd September 2009, 03:59 PM
I saw you Lucky... Briefly... With your friend... And I think Mark Browning was still on the prowl for her too.... ;)

late mail gossip - Do tell RP !!!;) :D

Lucky Knickers
22nd September 2009, 04:20 PM
Did you notice the shoes of fabulousness????

Wardy
22nd September 2009, 04:22 PM

Lucky - we know that the shoes were fabulous - but we want the real goss (some of us living vicariously through the lives of others!!!:D ) so spill!!!

reigning premier
23rd September 2009, 06:07 PM
late mail gossip - Do tell RP !!!;) :D

Well... It's like this... Lucky has a friend... who was being chased around by a certain ex-player at an after match one night... enough said...

No girlfriend.. missed them... :(

AussieAnge
23rd September 2009, 10:01 PM

Just to satisfy my (and possibly others') curiosity could you please post a pic of these shoes of fabulousness?

Lucky Knickers
23rd September 2009, 10:08 PM
Finally. Someone asks!!!!! Just for that I am going to sponsor you double!
I shall do so.

Wardy
24th September 2009, 07:46 AM
Finally. Someone asks!!!!! Just for that I am going to sponsor you double!
I shall do so.

Lucky - we need to clear this up - Do the shoes go well with the 1980's taffeta bridesmaids dress that I have allocated you? or are their fabulousness so fabulous that the highly flammable frock would be overshadowed? Because you know that I will wed eventually!. Of course the small detail of finding an actual groom is proving to be a bit tricky, but it needs to be said that I'm not going to be upstaged by a pair of shoes worn by the junior bridesmaid!!!;) :D
So photo please!!!