PDA

View Full Version : Seventh time lucky for Luffy?

liz
18th September 2009, 08:31 AM
Lovely article about a favourite ex-Swan and RWO legend!

Good luck Luffy this time round.

Luff preparing for a final fling - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/luff-preparing-for-a-final-fling/2009/09/17/1252780408866.html)

Primmy
18th September 2009, 08:57 AM
We had organised to go anyway, but this is the icing on the cake. Anyone else?

ScottH
18th September 2009, 09:19 AM
Good Luck, Luffy.

Was amazed to read that he hasn't played in a GF since 96.

satchmopugdog
18th September 2009, 09:40 AM
He's right..it doesn't matter if it is A reserve hockey/Rosebery seconds/World Cup soccer..it is a great feeling.
Hope he does win as he is someone who has put back into the game.

P.s. This Mitchell..good enough for Father/son?????

Captain
18th September 2009, 09:42 AM
The man is a legend.

Best of luck Luffy, hope you finally win one.

Primmy
18th September 2009, 09:45 AM
He's right..it doesn't matter if it is A reserve hockey/Rosebery seconds/World Cup soccer..it is a great feeling.

P.s. This Mitchell..good enough for Father/son?????

At age 13 its probably not easy to tell. However Stuey picked Nick Smiff and Roosy Danerbury, so maybe. And I am not likely to be travelling North to see the kid in action. And I wouldn't have a clue anyway. :D No pressure mind you....does the kid have a blond mullet? Can he hang in there no matter what? Will he ever have a medal named in his honour? :p

jono2707
18th September 2009, 10:00 AM
Luffy also does a great job organising Rec Footy over summer, and he is now the Sydney Manager for the afl. He ran the Centennial Park comp last year and was often out there umpiring. All round good guy.

ps Rec Footy is good fun - check it out at aflrecfooty.com.au

BeeEmmAre
18th September 2009, 10:20 AM
It would be terrific to see a big crowd out at Blacktown tomorrow for the grand finals, and with the Eagles also chasing their maiden Premier League title, there's sure to be plenty of interest and feeling in the game.
The UNSWES coach, Terry Mudge, is an ex-assistant at the Eagles, and his assistant at the Bulldogs, Rohan Graham, is the immediate past coach at East Coast, so there's a bit of extra spice.

For those who can't make it out to the ground, Digital Sports is streaming the full day's action LIVE on the internet from 9.40am with myself (Brendan Rhodes), Dan Johnston and Phil Bester.

The games are - 9.45am: U18 North Shore Bombers v St George Dragons; 12pm: Division 1 UTS Bats v East Coast Eagles; 2.30pm: Premier League: East Coast Eagles v UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs.

Visit www.digitalsports.com.au and click on the 'LIVE STREAMING' link in the top right hand corner of the home page.

Bob Neil
18th September 2009, 02:40 PM
Lovely article about a favourite ex-Swan and RWO legend!

Good luck Luffy this time round.

Luff preparing for a final fling - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/luff-preparing-for-a-final-fling/2009/09/17/1252780408866.html)

Bugger. Troy is born in the same month & year as me.
He plays footy and I read RWO.

Primmy
18th September 2009, 03:04 PM
Bugger. Troy is born in the same month & year as me.
He plays footy and I read RWO.

There are moments in time that we regret knowing the details.
I am sure Luffy is still going around just to annoy us, and Snapper. :D

AnnieH
18th September 2009, 03:48 PM
There are moments in time that we regret knowing the details.
I am sure Luffy is still going around just to annoy us, and Snapper. :D

Nah ... it's MY job to annoy Snapper.

(I'm very good at it!!)

Luffy's still going around because he can.

What a legend.

ShockOfHair
18th September 2009, 04:42 PM
He also does an entertaining call of Swans games with Brad Seymour on MMM.

Go Luffie.

stellation
18th September 2009, 06:22 PM
I had a pretty good track record with grand finals as a kid, including winning 2 in one day (u15s then playing up an age for the u17s). I don't know Troy's pain :)

gloveski
19th September 2009, 03:30 PM

Ah to think I won 2 priemerships with Rosebery Senoirs Satchmopugdog..........they were the days

Sometimes
19th September 2009, 07:16 PM
Unlucky Luffy, 54 point win to the East Coast Eagles.

sfan
19th September 2009, 07:24 PM
and Luffy was very quiet all day after kicking the first goal.

ScottH
19th September 2009, 08:02 PM
Oh well.

There is always next year.

Primmy
19th September 2009, 09:57 PM
Oh well.

There is always next year.

Apparently not. It was said it was his last game. He kicked the first goal of the first term in under three minutes and it looked sweet. It was pretty warm, and in the last half we breathed a lot of smoke from burnoffs, so it must have been damning for them, and the other team. But in the end the East Coasters had a professional looking side with a lot of bodies any AFL player would be proud of, a trainer/physio I want to take home with me, an interchange waterboy who worked his job, cooling fans, cold towels etc. The Uni side had a massage table that they sat on, and little else. Kind of David and Goliath.

They all played hard and it was a fast game. MOM was over 30 and kicked 10, with number 4 on his back....shades of good times past. Game a great deal better than used to be dished up years ago. Things have improved a lot.

Great facilities, could do with more parking, they can make a very fine sausage in a roll, terrific viewing, Annie there is a woman there whose voice could be heard in the next suburb (you have a rival), the crowd was very enthusiastic, at half time there was a lot of kick to kick with a couple of lads (16/18) who kicked to each other and caught one handed - terrific stuff - and the people there knew their stuff. Great to be able to go onto the field and listen in to the coach's instructions and the team leaders in action.

We have decided that the Western Sydney Bogan's logo should be a Moth. :D

dimelb
19th September 2009, 11:21 PM
... We have decided that the Western Sydney Bogan's logo should be a Moth. :D
LOL

ugg
20th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Western Sydney bogongs?

Poor Luffy

Norris Lurker
20th September 2009, 10:54 AM
It was a great day of footy at Blacktown. Luffy kicked the opening goal, but quest for a premiership wasn't to be - East Coast Eagles were too good.
It's been a big year for the Eagles. Quite a few people on this board would remember the pre-season trial game at Bruce Purser Oval where the Swans took on the Western Bulldogs; which was the official opening of their new home ground. To have a new home ground of that quality, and to finally win their first premiership, is a good reward for that club.

There'll be plenty of talk analysing the game on the NSW/ACT Footy board once our contributors have awoken from the alcoholic stupour of the various after-parties. And on the RWO front page, RWO's match report (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28890) from the game is now online.

Bob Neil
21st September 2009, 02:02 PM
Unlucky Luffy, 54 point win to the East Coast Eagles.

Troy should have gone to Ireland to play with Kerry (and Tadgh).